• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bret Hart to WCW = Rare to Microsoft

Fairy apt. Grabbed by the Ghoulie's seemed the work of the concussed.

Brother Stro said:
You could argue that in theory, Bret coming in was going to be a mess because of the Sting angle, but then they fucked that up, too, so there really was no excuse to make Bret a subordinate to Hogan who didn't do anything for months at a time.

That's why you convince Hogan to drop the title clean in 1997 (though he'd try to do a screw job and Bret would stop him) and then run a Bret versus Sting program and Hogan versus Nash or some shit in early 1998.

strobogo

Banned
It's just a shame that Bret couldnt stay in WWF. At the very least, it probably would have saved his career.

Can you really imagine Bret in 1999 WWF? I can't see how he would fit at all in that period. Even 1998 is kind of hard to figure out with him still around.

Sephzilla

Can you really imagine Bret in 1999 WWF? I can't see how he would fit at all in that period. Even 1998 is kind of hard to figure out with him still around.

I think they could have made him work. He would have been an ideal Corporation heel leader (while Bret is one of those guys who I think naturally makes a better face, he could be a damn good heel in the right places). I would be more looking forward to 2000 onward Bret in WWF to see him go up against Kurt Angle.

I still think it would have meant more to Austin to beat Bret Hart for the WWF Title at WM14, which was the original plan. Him beating HBK with fast-count crap from Mike Tyson really kind of deflated what should have been a legendary moment.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bret wouldn't have fit at all. Think Punk in 2013, only with no Heyman. I guess he could have been the original corporate champion but how long would that last?

He'd just be in the way most of the time.

Sephzilla

I don't think Bret would fit in the Corporation at all. He would have fit in 2002 on much better than 1998-2001.

IDK, I think he would have had a place. He wouldn't have been the main eventer or anything, that would have been Rock/Austins world no matter what. But he would have been able to find a spot.

Plus in my opinion he was the guy who really made Austin after that WM match.

DMczaf

7w7Oqp9.png

Why?

Why not.

DMczaf

http://www.hostamania.com/

logo-510.png

HOSTAMANIA WILL BE RUNNIN' WILD SOON
I beat the Iron Sheik and Andre the Giant in the ring, and now I'm taking my quest for glory to the internet. Setting up a website has never been easy, and low quality hosting companies think they can run wild and overcharge you.

Those days are over - I'm stepping in to the web hosting ring, and I'm getting ready to leg drop the competition.

I'm busy hulking up, getting ready - trading in the pythons for web servers. Sign up below, say your prayers, take your vitamins, and I'll let you know once Hostamania is ready to run wild!

....really, Terry?

strobogo

Banned
Bret wouldn't have fit at all. Think Punk in 2013, only with no Heyman. I guess he could have been the original corporate champion but how long would that last?

He'd just be in the way most of the time.

That's pretty much how I feel. I think Bret would have needed to take a year or two off and come back as a special appearance kind of deal.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That's pretty much how I feel. I think Bret would have needed to take a year or two off and come back as a special appearance kind of deal.

Part of the reason why I think Sting and HBK are two of the smartest men in the business (though HBK was forced into it more or less) is that they both frequently took time off to heal and worked a lighter schedule whenever they could.

Fuck it nearly worked for Austin too but he was more seriously injured than HBK and couldn't adapt as readily to the changing scene in the WWE at the time as well.

EDIT: If he had taken the time off (and also assuming Owen had never died, as that really soured him) he could have done great work with Angle and Benoit/Eddie/Jericho. Angle in particular would have been a barn burner with the whole USA/Canada thing.

strobogo

Banned
Sting taking so much time off in later WCW usually had nothing to do with injuries, but more to do with him doing out of wrestling activities like acting or church stuff.

that's the reflection of perfection Mark jindrack you mark

but when was he in evolution

Jindrak said in a shoot interview back in 2011 that he was originally supposed to be the 4th member of Evolution, not Batista. He said that he did all the airplane shoots with them and everything.

I think it's funny they have him standing further away from Flair than how far everyone else is away from each other.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sting taking so much time off in later WCW usually had nothing to do with injuries, but more to do with him doing out of wrestling activities like acting or church stuff.

That makes him even smarter and it's why he was semi decent in TNA his first few years.

HBK only needed a year, maybe two to rehab that injury and was off the drugs by then too. He saw the landscape though, wondered if he'd want to take some of those nasty ass bumps and rode it out until he could work himself back into the mix.

Dave Meltzer has compiled a list of the biggest draws in WWE history based on gates/ratings the wrestlers drew as main eventers.

1. BRUNO SAMMARTINO

2. HULK HOGAN

3. BOB BACKLUND

4. ARGENTINA ROCCA...

Sorry, must've fell asleep at this point. No wonder you're a Mr H fan. :p

Seriously though, that list is pretty pointless. Did Triple H sell those shows out himself or was it the guy he was facing? Rock, Foley, Austin, Undertaker, Cena, etc. I'd bet it was the latter.

It's fine that you're a fan of the guy but to me, the 30-40 minute long winded promos that he loves to do are beyond fucking boring and the worst thing in wrestling. He single-handedly killed any interest I had in wrestling back in the early 2000's after the brand split. I would rather watch a 40 minute Khali match.

G-Fex

Plywood just as the very important higher ups at GAF-GAMING INSTITUTE are testing Jessica Nigri's verifiable gamer girl status. I must test your merit and legitimacy of your football markness.

I gunna ask you a question.

Cleveland Browns....or ...Washington Redskins?

strobogo

Banned
Sorry, must've fell asleep at this point. No wonder you're a Mr H fan. :p

Seriously though, that list is pretty pointless. Did Triple H sell those shows out himself or was it the guy he was facing? Rock, Foley, Austin, Undertaker, Cena, etc. I'd bet it was the latter.

It's fine that you're a fan of the guy but to me, the 30-40 minute long winded promos that he loves to do are beyond fucking boring and the worst thing in wrestling. He single-handedly killed any interest I had in wrestling back in the early 2000's after the brand split. I would rather watch a 40 minute Khali match.

Yeah, I find it really weird to figure out who really was a draw, particularly in the Attitude Era when EVERYTHING drew huge crowds. How do you quantify how many people were buying for HHH, how many were buying for Rock, and how many were buying specifically for Rock vs HHH?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Plywood just as the very important higher ups at GAF-GAMING INSTITUTE are testing Jessica Nigri's verifiable gamer girl status. I must test your merit and legitimacy of your football markness.

I gunna ask you a question.

Cleveland Browns....or ...Washington Redskins?
I dont watch none of that shit, I just know soccer's kickball.

Toki767

So next month will be HHH and Stephanie's 10 year wedding anniversary. Interesting to see that it looks like the groomsmen at their wedding were HHH's father, HBK, Regal, Flair, Shane, Undertaker, and Nash.

G-Fex

So next month will be HHH and Stephanie's 10 year wedding anniversary. Interesting to see that it looks like the groomsmen at their wedding were HHH's father, HBK, Regal, Flair, Shane, Undertaker, and Nash.

Taker?

Did he bring Jake the Snake and a present of a box of snakes?

Yeah, I find it really weird to figure out who really was a draw, particularly in the Attitude Era when EVERYTHING drew huge crowds. How do you quantify how many people were buying for HHH, how many were buying for Rock, and how many were buying specifically for Rock vs HHH?

Exactly and then you've got all the other generational differences, like the number of shows they wrestle a year. I'm pretty sure Bret Hart still has the record for wrestling the most matches ever, mostly thanks to the insane schedule they had back in the late 80's.

THERE'S ONLY ONE FOOTBALL

AND IT'S THE ONE WITH THE EGG

Correct. Rugby is the best.

strobogo

Banned
I feel like Sunny would appreciate Rugby players more since they have much more BEEF and SWOLE to them. I mean, Antonio Cesaro is a former rugby player and he's pretty much the strongest dude in wrestling.

strobogo

Banned
Christ those are some awful fitting suits. Custom made head to toe my ass. Randy's is particularly awful. Flair's is the only one that looks like he actually regularly wears suits.

SHEETS

-- It's very unlikely that A.J. Styles will head to WWE when his TNA contract expires at the end of the year. He recently signed a short-term deal with TNA to take him through the rest of the year. There is practically zero interest in Styles from the WWE side, but that could all change of course. Working against Styles is the fact he's 36 years old now. Also, WWE would likely want him to spend the requisite time in developmental so they can "deprogram him" and teach him the WWE style, something Styles would likely protest at this stage of his career.

-- The early plans for WrestleMania 30 are calling for The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar and Ryback vs. The Undertaker if things go to plan. This hinges on getting a deal done with Rock for the show. Many in the company are skeptical they'll be able to get Rock to wrestle again. If they cannot get Rock to come back, the new plan would be Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker. Either way, the storyline will be that CM Punk failed Paul Heyman against Undertaker at WM29, so now he's calling in the big guns.

-- Ken Anderson and Mickie James are both officially gone from TNA. Neither could come to an agreement on a deal for lesser money and both have parted ways with the company.

-- TNA is planning on bringing in some "new stars" and ex-X Division wrestlers in the next few months. The "new stars" would be top indy talent around the east.

-- "Stone Cold" Steve Austin recently defined his chances of wrestling one more match to be "pretty damn slim".

-- WWE has failed to transfer the lawsuit they are facing from former WWE writer Andrew Green to federal court. This means the case will be contested in the Maricopa County Court in Phoenix, AZ.

-- WWE has signed a licensing deal with American Greetings to produce birthday cards, party items, and balloons featuring WWE.

-- WWE has released NXT commentator Tony Dawson from his contract. There is no word on whether Dawson requested his release or if the company let him go.

-- Filming for See No Evil 2 began shooting this week in Toronto, Canada. Aside from Kane, the movie is said to feature "negative star power". WWE Films is also working on getting a sequel in the works for The Call.

-- NWA World Heavyweight Champion Rob Conway turned down an offer to join WWE's developmental program as a trainer. Conway declined because he did not want to relocate to Orlando, FL.

Kaladin

Rock, stay the fuck away from WWE. I want Brock vs Taker dammit.

Also, I finished the Triple H doc last night. I think the only thing new to me was some of the stuff about him and Stephanie.....and it wasn't really that it was new, it was that it was coming from them. I don't think we've seen footage of their wedding and reception before either.

It was a good doc, but I wouldn't put it up there with CM Punk or even Foley. A lot of ass kissing was done....a lot....and kayfabe was out the window.....also Trips talk about the business often.

At least he makes no bones about the fact that he came from bodybuilding and had a cup of coffee in the indies. I believe he had a great work ethic and that he was training every day and listening to what anyone would tell him like everyone says, but I don't buy that EVERYONE knew he would be great the moment they saw him though.....literally everyone.

Top Bottom