• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Soccer was ruined for me as a sport I played when we finally got old enough to be called for offsides. Well, I played another three years as goalie but my goal scoring days were more or less over.

Tecmo Super Bowl

top that soccer fans

worldcupboxed.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't you heard of pee wee football? Like 7 year old kids playing american football

Of course. That's how you learn. Right out of the gate at 7 the only thing you need to learn for soccer is ball control and how to use your feet. There's a shitload of theory behind American Football that is so much more complex. But does that make it BETTER? I dunno about that. Everyone's got their own tastes, but American Football is the biggest hits, the biggest minds, and that's what I like!

strobogo

Banned
What Sunny is trying to say is that soccer "football" is for poor dark skinned people or guys with terrible teeth and accents. As we all know, Mr. McFlower hates dark skinned people, poor people, and people with terrible teeth and accents.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What Sunny is trying to say is that soccer "football" is for poor dark skinned people or guys with terrible teeth and accents. As we all know, Mr. McFlower hates dark skinned people, poor people, and people with terrible teeth and accents.

Also not enough muscle mass; toned ain't enough for him, he wants ripped!

I meant conceptually, a child can play it and understand the 'beautiful' game. It's not impressive. Kids can also play checkers and hopscotch.

A child could understand the fundamentals of the game, but tactically, mentally, it's a far more complicated sport than you are implying. It's far from an easy sport to play well, and that goes for every position on the pitch.

Sunflower said:
American Football is more like a chess match. Tactics, real team tactics - that impresses me. Football theory isn't something a seven year old can understand, but kick the bally ball into the goalie goal is pretty low concept.

Come on, that's such a simplistic view of what's going on in a football match. I agree that American Football is a great tactical sport and certainly has more depth, as teams have a whole playbook of formations to utilise each match, whereas in football a team usually sticks with their chosen formation for the day if it's working and only changes it if things aren't going their way. But the tactical aspect of the game doesn't begin and end with how the teams line-up against each other, there's so much more to it - how the teams work together to press and stretch their opponent's formation, how they anticipate their team mate's actions, the runs and passes they're going to make, how they create and utilise space, how they keep possession, build up pressure and create chances to score. It's a free flowing game, there's no time to consult the playbook, it's about instinct, skill, training and, most of all, teamwork. It doesn't always live up to the 'beautiful game' moniker, but it's a damn sight more complex than you're giving it credit for.

Sunflower said:
Have your flops improved or are they worse now? Genuine question, this isn't me poking you like Abdullah does Brody.

There's obviously a few high profile incidents, but the degree of diving isn't anywhere near as much as detractors of the sport would expect. The bigger problem at the moment is with the standard of officiating. Also, as far as diving goes, it all depends on the team and the players. In other countries it's encouraged and taught as 'gamesmanship', whereas in England it's generally frowned upon.

G-Fex

Yeah, these skinny ass soccer players kicking balls like toddlers. They got no swole. THEY AIN'T SWOLE. WHERE ARE THE STRIATIONS?

Sorry that ALL SOCCER PLAYERS DONT GOT CALVES LIKE BULLY RAY.

Also guys, all sports are complex, but baseball is the most complex :)

Hence why I have two books just going over the strategy. Tis the thinking mans game. If you think baseball is boring, you haven't a clue what's really going on out there ;)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
A child could understand the fundamentals of the game, but tactically, mentally, it's a far more complicated sport than you are implying. It's far from an easy sport to play well, and that goes for every position on the pitch.

Come on, that's such a simplistic view of what's going on in a football match. I agree that American Football is a great tactical sport and certainly has more depth, as teams have a whole playbook of formations to utilise each match, whereas in football a team usually sticks with their chosen formation for the day if it's working and only changes it if things aren't going their way. But the tactical aspect of the game doesn't begin and end with how the teams line-up against each other, there's so much more to it - how the teams work together to press and stretch their opponent's formation, how they anticipate their team mate's actions, the runs and passes they're going to make, how they create and utilise space, how they keep possession, build up pressure and create chances to score. It's a free flowing game, there's no time to consult the playbook, it's about instinct, skill, training and, most of all, teamwork. It doesn't always live up to the 'beautiful game' moniker, but it's a damn sight more complex than you're giving it credit for.

There's obviously a few high profile incidents, but the degree of diving isn't anywhere near as much as detractors of the sport would expect. The bigger problem at the moment is with the standard of officiating. Also, as far as diving goes, it all depends on the team and the players. In other countries it's encouraged and taught as 'gamesmanship', whereas in England it's generally frowned upon.

A few other things that bug me about it, maybe you can shed some light on the state of the game but:

Is FIFA still fucking insanely corrupt?
Is the World Cup the worst thing for countries to have?
Is the racism still absolutely fucking bonkers?

Thanks for sharing why you watch 'footie' perhaps someday we could have a 'pint' at the 'battleship' or maybe a dinner of 'ruby murray' and you could explain more while I have a 'butcher's knife' at the game.

It's good to know flopping is discouraged but my god so many gifs of it.

Yeah, there's more to soccer than what I give it credit for, but I finally found your rage button! I found it!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Is Edge the only WWE wrestler in history who has:

More than two opening themes.
and
All of them are good.

Mick Foley has three really good themes but then his face mankind theme had to come in and ruin everything.

Yes, depends on your perspective, and no. At least not in the UK. There's still incidents of racism, but they're heavily cracked down upon. We're often under a lot closer scrutiny than the rest of the footballing world, as the Premier League is the most watched worldwide and we have a nasty history of hooliganism and racism, particularly in the 70's and 80's.

Sunflower said:
Yeah, there's more to soccer than what I give it credit for, but I finally found your rage button! I found it!

Yeah man, football gets me wound up like nothing else, lol. I try to stay out of the football thread on GAF, as I get super salty when West Ham are losing (which is often). Also, my only GAF ban was for raging at an American during the last world cup :p

A few other things that bug me about it, maybe you can shed some light on the state of the game but:

FIFA and most of its confederations (CONCACAF, COMEBOL) are corrupt as hell.

World cups are bad for States in development. Because they require a gigantic investment, and the returns do not cover the money the government invested. Look at the Brazil resistant, that in part is fueled by the insane cost of the wold cup and the Olympics.

Depends from place to place.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
English Football has in fact been cleaned up like Las Vegas or Times Square, it's actually depressing. Got to go to Wales or Scotland for your hooligans now.

strobogo

Banned
As previously established, nearly all of HHH's themes are pretty good.

Hulk Hogan had Real American, Eye of the Tiger, and Vodoo Child
Austin had Hollywood Blonds theme and Stone Cold's intro

Sunflowers rant on soccer reminded me of an essay by Chuck Klosterman, here's an excerpt:

I've spent the last fifteen years of my life railing against the game of soccer, an exercise that has been lauded as "the sport of the future" since 1977. Thankfully, that dystopia has never come. But people continue to tell me that soccer will soon become part of the fabric of this country, and that soccer will eventually be as popular as football, basketball, karate, pinball, smoking, glue sniffing, menstruation, animal cruelty, photocopying, and everything else that fuels the eroticized, hyperkinetic zeitgeist of Americana. After the U.S. placed eighth in the 2002 World Cup tournament, team forward Clint Mathis said, "If we can turn one more person who wasn't a soccer fan into a soccer fan, we've accomplished something." Apparently, that's all that matters to these idiots. They won't be satisfied until we're all systematically brainwashed into thinking soccer is cool and that placing eighth (and losing to Poland!) is somehow noble. However, I know this will never happen. Not really. Dumb bunnies like Clint Mathis will be wrong forever, and that might be the only thing saving us from ourselves...

Soccer unconsciously rewards the outcast, which is why so many adults are fooled into thinking their kids love it. The truth is that most children don't love soccer; they simply hate the alternatives more. For 60 percent of the adolescents in any fourth-grade classroom, sports are a humiliation waiting to happen. These are the kids who play baseball and strike out four times a game. These are the kids afraid to get fouled in basketball, because it only means they're now required to shoot two free throws, which equates to two air balls. Basketball games actually stop to annihilate them.

That is why soccer seems like such a respite from all that mortification; it's the one aerobic activity where nothingness is expected. Even at the highest levels, every soccer match seems to end 1-0 or 2-1. A normal eleven-year-old can play an entire season without placing toe to sphere and nobody would even notice, assuming he or she does a proper job of running about and avoiding major collisions.

Soccer fanatics love to tell you that soccer is the most popular game on earth and that it's played by 500 million people every day, as if that somehow proves its value. Actually, the opposite is true. Why should I care that every single citizen of Chile and Iran and Gibraltar thoughtlessly adores "football"? Do the people making this argument also assume Coca-Cola is ambrosia? Real sports aren't for everyone. And don't accuse me of being the Ugly American for degrading soccer. That has nothing to do with it. It's not xenophobic to hate soccer; it's socially reprehensible to support it. To say you love soccer is to say you believe in enforced equality more than you believe in the value of competition and the capacity of the human spirit. It should surprise no one that Benito Mussolini loved being photographed with Italian soccer stars during the 1930s; they were undoubtedly kindred spirits. I would sooner have my kid deal crystal meth than play soccer. Every time I pull up behind a Ford Aerostar with a "#1 Soccer Mom" bumper sticker, I feel like I'm marching in the wake of the Khmer Rouge.

That said, I don't feel my thoughts on soccer are radical. If push came to shove, I would be more than willing to compromise: It's not necessary to wholly outlaw soccer as a living entity. I concede that it has a right to exist. All I ask is that I never have to see it on television, that it's never played in public (or supported with public funding), and that nobody -- and I mean nobody -- ever utters the phrase "Soccer is the sport of the future" for the next forty thousand years.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
As previously established, nearly all of HHH's themes are pretty good.

Hulk Hogan had Real American, Eye of the Tiger, and Vodoo Child
Austin had Hollywood Blonds theme and Stone Cold's intro

Hmmmm.

Let's be more specific then. The themes need to be played in the WWE (The WWE version of the NWO theme is rubbish so it disqualifies Hogan) and they all need to be good. HHH might just qualify then, truly the King of Kings.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No the real reason it is played by so many kids in America is that it is by far the cheapest sport for a community to put on; it's still a game kids can be super humiliated in; Ever wiff a kick? Ever miss a free kick? Handball a clear goal by your team/own goal/many other situations.

strobogo

Banned
Hmmmm.

Let's be more specific then. The themes need to be played in the WWE (The WWE version of the NWO theme is rubbish so it disqualifies Hogan) and they all need to be good. HHH might just qualify then, truly the King of Kings.

But I didn't list the NWO theme and Hogan used the three I did list in WWE. So why are you disqualifying the greatest WWE Champion of all time?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
But I didn't list the NWO theme and Hogan used the three I did list in WWE. So why are you disqualifying the greatest WWE Champion of all time?

Did he really? I guess I've only seen cheap ass DVDs of that era that replace the theme then. Sure, Hogan counts then.

Top Bottom