• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So Sunflower trolling OT is now a weekly endeavor?

I'm not trolling. It's a legitimate question. So I watched TNA..once. It doesn't make it a troll. Unless you're talking about my miscellaneous posts.

WRESTLE-1's debut show on September 8th is going to be an iPPV, you can pre-order it now for $20 over at;

http://www.ustream.tv/w-1

Card;

1. Women's Pro Wrestling Match: X vs. X
2. Inaba Debut Match: Hiroshi Yamato & Taiki Inaba vs. X & X
3. Ryota Hama & Yasufumi Nakanoue vs. X & X
4. KAI Return Match: KAI vs. X
5. Minoru Tanaka & X vs. X & X
6. Kaz Hayashi & Shuji Kondo VS. X & X
7. Masakatsu Funaki & Masayuki Kono vs. X & X
8. Keiji Mutoh & X vs. X & X

The card is still mostly x's, but I'm interested to see what surprises Mutoh can pull for their big debut.

$20 I might...MIGHT buy. No, fuck it, I won't, I need to see if W-1's stream comes out of the gate high quality or if it's RoH 2010-style.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Well, I...well I'm sure he'll elaborate, and it's been a week or so since we heard from him. One is still being monitored.

Fuck feet anyway, look at Kamala. They're just feets.

GODDAMNIT MUTA STOP BOOKING KAI

And for the record stop bringing him over to America when you come over too, ya bum

I'd agree with you, but he had a REALLY good showing in the Champion's Carnival this year, especially against Shiozaki & Akiyama. Something of a breakout performance and the Japanese crowd seem really behind him now, so I'll be interested to see who he's up against for this show.

$20 I might...MIGHT buy. No, fuck it, I won't, I need to see if W-1's stream comes out of the gate high quality or if it's RoH 2010-style.

I hadn't thought of that, but I'm guessing it'll be fine - doesn't Japan have pretty great internet coverage? Especially in Tokyo.

I find it funny that ROH talk has pretty much died in this thread. I'm looking forward to their next iPPV but man, I can't tell if they fell behind or that there is just so much more accessible choices out there these days as opposed to 5-7 years ago.

Penguin

Man, TNA screwed up the Bound for Glory Series this year:

Magnus: 4/11 matches
Bobby Roode: 6/11 matches
Christopher Daniels: 6/11 matches
Austin Aries: 6/11 matches
Samoa Joe: 5/11 matches
Jeff Hardy: 5/11 matches
Mr. Anderson: 6/11 matches
AJ Styles: 6/11 matches
Kazarian: 4/11 matches
Joseph Park: 5/11 matches
Herandez: 6/11 matches
Jay Bradley: 5/11 matches

34 Matches that should of happened never did. Oooops!

Wanted to bring this over from the other thread

Because more than general lol at TNA

How do you screw up something you've been doing for 3 years? Like how do you regress this poorly?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I find it funny that ROH talk has pretty much died in this thread. I'm looking forward to their next iPPV but man, I can't tell if they fell behind or that there is just so much more accessible choices out there these days as opposed to 5-7 years ago.

I think it's a mixture of poor iPPVs turned off some people (I'm one of those!) and their product feeling stagnant, and putting that against the accessible choices that do it better, well...

Then again we might just be, like Davey Boy Smith says...

BIZARRRE

Showaddy

So yeah WWE have been getting some heat on facebook over their 'treatment' of Daniel Bryan. Some of the comments are absolute gold, my favourite so far:

'2 words "SELL OUTS" there is no respect left in the WWE, its no wonder Cena is taking a few months away, over worked, under paid, and tired of the scripts just like the rest of us'

jred2k

I'm still trying to figure out why a show that is aired at random different points in a show is called "nWo Nightcap". If they're gonna call it a nightcap why not just put it all together at the end of the show. It seems like they're taking up at least 30 minutes of Nitro with it anyways.

Toki767

So yeah WWE have been getting some heat on facebook over their 'treatment' of Daniel Bryan. Some of the comments are absolute gold, my favourite so far:

'2 words "SELL OUTS" there is no respect left in the WWE, its no wonder Cena is taking a few months away, over worked, under paid, and tired of the scripts just like the rest of us'

Hilarious that people think Cena is underpaid when it's been established that he lives in a mansion in Florida.

strobogo

Banned

I blame Cornette. The quality of ROH started dropping as soon as he showed up, even before he was booking. But once he actually started booking, ROH became so uninteresting. It should be no surprise that the rise of PWG as a super indie conincided with ROH's decline. ROH ventured way too far away from their original style, while PWG/DragonGate picked up that slack. Then WWE or TNA took most of the top talent.

Cornette's decision to run the company like a Southern studio show with guys who couldn't talk or work in that style was pretty stupid. Someone should have stepped in long before they did.

Penguin

Well good on them

This is the type of "social media buzz" they need. Not just trending on Twitter

People actually engaged and even enraged in their stories

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I blame Cornette. The quality of ROH started dropping as soon as he showed up, even before he was booking. But once he actually started booking, ROH became so uninteresting. It should be no surprise that the rise of PWG as a super indie conincided with ROH's decline. ROH ventured way too far away from their original style, while PWG/DragonGate picked up that slack. Then WWE or TNA took most of the top talent.

Cornette's decision to run the company like a Southern studio show with guys who couldn't talk or work in that style was pretty stupid. Someone should have stepped in long before they did.

I hate to hate Cornette because I legit love the dude, but when you're right, you're right.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm still trying to figure out why a show that is aired at random different points in a show is called "nWo Nightcap". If they're gonna call it a nightcap why not just put it all together at the end of the show. It seems like they're taking up at least 30 minutes of Nitro with it anyways.

Crazy Bischoff ego trip. Sometime around the end of 1998 and most of 1999 before he gets sent home he'll spend hob knobbing around the world trying to drum up investments in various WCW related offshoots instead of watching the product.

Wrestling goes real bad real quick when you let the inmates take over the asylum.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Cornette's pretty easy to hate. He's a huge bitter turd who thought Matt Morgan was anything other than a crappy hoss with a basketball.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I think the reasoning behind that was because the nWo were "paying" to put their footage on ad spots. When they still were guerrilla.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Cornette has to be bitter as fuck that when given a chance to prove that wrasslin fans want old school style produced shows that they tuned out of the product. I mean he was tooting that horn for twenty years, gets his shot, and the show immediately suffers in quality and mindshare.

Cornette is insane. When I heard the story about how the name Future Shock came to be I wanted to legit dive out of London Heathrow because of how stupid his reasoning was

Then again, most wrestling promoters/people are either carny as hell or just batshit crazy. Like that dude who tried to throw me into a row of chairs at WrestleCon because I didn't want to yell at fans to get out of the building, that was fun

imBask

Banned
Well good on them

This is the type of "social media buzz" they need. Not just trending on Twitter

People actually engaged and even enraged in their stories

THIS. Turning smarks into marks, making people hate heels. They're plan is working out pretty damn well.

too bad it's all just a filler until Cena comes back

BFIB

How old is Cena? I know WWE will obviously use him until he literally cannot go anymore, but they have to start building for the future too.

Ithil

It's just not got that much to offer these days. The weak roster, bad production values and stuffy presentation just seems really uninteresting in comparison to what WWE, NJPW and other indies like Wrestling Is or PWG do.

I don't think Cornette can take all the blame for ROH - the starting point was obviously firing Gabe, but the product had begun to suffer even before then (the Faction Warfare clusterfuck and losing talent to TNA & WWE). It was really a combination of factors;

. Losing Punk, Joe, Shelley, Aries, Nigel, Sydal, Danielson, Black, etc, to WWE & TNA.
. The falling out with Dragon Gate, prompting them to start their own US promotion in competition with ROH.
. Cary being unable to continue operating the promotion at a loss, so less fly-ins, less new talent and, ultimately, selling ROH to Sinclair Broadcasting.
. The HDNet TV deal causing them to oversaturate certain markets with dull TV tapings, as HDNet wouldn't pay to take the equipment on the road.
. Four bookers in six years, each with their own divergent ideas for the direction of the promotion.
. The Sinclair deal causing them to focus on markets reached by the TV show and cut-down on or abandon shows in traditional ROH markets.
. A plague of iPPV problems.

It's strange though, because while I have little interest in the product now, see little discussion about ROH online, find the TV show to be pretty lacking in entertainment or excitement and have been burned too many times to buy another ROH iPPV, they still do good business by all accounts. The promotion isn't operating at a loss any more, it doesn't really cost Sinclair anything and attendances have been really good for them in some markets. There is obviously still an audience for ROH out there, but I don't think that audience is anywhere near as synonymous with the internet wrestling fan like ROH's audience used to be.

Penguin

Speaking of WCW

Did the Wolfpac vs nWo Hollywood angle ever really.. like go anywhere

Like I know traded back and forth

But don't remember any major like PPV matches coming from the feud

I must say, I'm rather confused how ROH had so many iPPV issues.

I mean, iPPV as a medium is totally whacked. If you're of the little to no budget crew (like yours truly), then you're flying by the seat of your pants the whole time, and you're looking at like 12 hours of hell. There's really no way to account for everything, and that's even with bringing in professional crews and such (The first DGUSA iPPV brought in GoFightLive and a live satellite internet uplink, and look how that went. WrestleCon had some issues with the first few shows because the internet in the building was essentially screwed over by their incompetent employees).

But obviously it can work well. NJPW bangs em out like clockwork. They're there doing general production anyway, so it's a -little- simpler, but still, sterling the whole way through. I haven't watched any live, but RF seems to do just fine with CZW's stuff.

ROH? They're owned by a damn television company. And yet their production is shoddy (their TV, not their lights and such; I know who does those and they do good work), their cameras are clearly ancient, they're not color balanced accordingly, etc etc etc. What is the deal?

Way I see it, if Spooky can stream days on end of quality 720p fighting game stuff, nobody else has any excuse besides the internet. There are ways to get solid Internet anywhere (expensive, mind you: You can get a cube which is essentially a USB hub for USB 4G cards, which will bond them together to make one connection).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Speaking of WCW

Did the Wolfpac vs nWo Hollywood angle ever really.. like go anywhere

Like I know traded back and forth

But don't remember any major like PPV matches coming from the feud

It ends with the fingerpoke of doom in early 1999 but the Wolfpac stable is basically doomed after Road Wild.

EDIT: The only major angles you get are a Nash versus Hall feud and a Bret versus Sting feud, plus this dumb nonsense with the Tag Belts.

jred2k

In honour of this prestigious month, what are the top 5 or 10 HHH matches I should watch? I was a lapsed fan during the majority of his stranglehold on the top of the card. Pre-2000/2001 or so I can't really remember too many HHH classic matches. Mostly just stuff involving The Rock I guess.

This is the list from his DVD, I guess I'll maybe start here:

Jean-Paul Levesque vs. Ricky Steamboat
WCW Saturday Night – 3rd September, 1994

Hunter Hearst Helmsley vs. Dude Love
One Night Only – September 1997

Iron Man Match for the WWE Championship
The Rock vs. Triple H
Judgment Day – 21st May, 2000

No Disqualification Match
Triple H vs. Kurt Angle
Unforgiven – 24th September, 2000

All Championships on the Line
Triple H & Stone Cold vs. The Undertaker & Kane
Backlash – 29th April, 2001

World Heavyweight Championship
Triple H vs. Rob Van Dam
RAW – 30th June, 2003

Last Man Standing Match for the World Heavyweight Championship
Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H
Royal Rumble – 25th January, 2004

Road to WrestleMania Tournament Match
Ric Flair vs. Triple H
RAW – 6th February, 2006

Return from Injury
Triple H vs. King Booker
SummerSlam – 26th August, 2007

Last Man Standing Match for the WWE Championship
Triple H vs. Randy Orton
No Mercy – 7th October, 2007

Non-Title Match
Jeff Hardy vs. Triple H
SmackDown – 21st November, 2008

Triple H vs. Chris Jericho
RAW – 30th November, 2009

Just 1 match with Triple H and HBK this DVD fails...HHH's best matches are with HBK and that isn't saying much because HBK made Vince McMahon look good in a match. HBK is HBK, one of the best.

A few matches he had that were good

HHH vs. HBK Hell in a Cell.
HHH vs. HBK vs. Benoit
HHH vs. HBK 3 Stages of Hell
HHH vs. Undertaker Wrestlemania 17 (best of the 3 he had with Taker)
HHH vs. The Rock Ladder match for IC title

Entropia

No One Remembers
In honour of this prestigious month, what are the top 5 or 10 HHH matches I should watch? I was a lapsed fan during the majority of his stranglehold on the top of the card. Pre-2000/2001 or so I can't really remember too many HHH classic matches. Mostly just stuff involving The Rock I guess.

This is the list from his DVD, I guess I'll maybe start here:

Triple H vs. Ultimate Warrior, Wrestlemania 12

jred2k

Triple H vs. Ultimate Warrior, Wrestlemania 12

Finally an excuse to post this:

warrior-no-sell.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of the Steve Austin Show, I tried some other ones and it still isn't good to me at all. The best one was the one with Adam Carolla and that's because Carolla is great.

also he seems TERRIFIED that someone may think he's gay.

jmdajr

Speaking of the Steve Austin Show, I tried some other ones and it still isn't good to me at all. The best one was the one with Adam Carolla and that's because Carolla is great.

also he seems TERRIFIED that someone may think he's gay.

Yeah, and you also hate James Bond.

What can you do?

Top Bottom