• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin' |OT| because Triple H is good for business

Classic Match of the Day:

Terry Funk (c) vs Jumbo Tsuruta - NWA World Heavyweight Title 2/3 Falls - (AJPW 06/11/1976)

This is Jumbo's 3rd shot at the NWA Title (his first two challenges were against Jack Brisco) and his first singles encounter with Terry Funk (although Dory Jr. had beat the piss out of Jumbo on a few occasions before this) and he's keen to pick up what would be his biggest singles victory to date. On the other hand, Terry is at the height of his career. He's NWA Champion and one of the biggest names in professional wrestling, he's not about to let some foreign upstart take away his title. However, this isn't the brawling Terry with branding iron in hand most modern fans are familiar with, this is Terry the technical wrestler and what a great job he does of it. The first fall is absolutely fantastic. A real master-class from both Terry & Jumbo as they trade holds and work over the arms. Terry in particular looks vicious in his attacks, while Jumbo has some nice innovative moves (like dragging Funk out and then in to the ring with an armbar applied!) and is very athletic, in spite of his size. The crowd are pretty wild once things get going and are firmly behind Jumbo, but as he asserts his wrestling dominance towards the final fall, the wilder side of Funk rears its head to take the heat up a good few notches. 3 clean falls, an excellent finish and one of the best matches of either men's careers, well worth a watch.

I freaking LOVE Terry's crazy overselling;

it5nbdSCSk3pK.gif

jmdajr

I wouldn't listen to a show that reviews programming of any kind really.

Like I understand reviews for movies or games because it could save me money or the chance of making a mistake.

But why would I read a review from IGN about the latest episode of Breaking Bad. I mean, I already watched it. Would I read it because I missed it? No. I would just watch it later.

Is it for people who wouldn't normally watch it?

meh, who knows

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There's my lunch hour sorted. Never liked Terry - but this might be a worthy incarnation of his for me to warm to.

It doesn't need to be said, I really enjoy Jumbo Tsuruta a lot. a LOT.

I wouldn't listen to show that reviews shows, of any kind really.

Like I understand reviews for movies or games because it could save me money or the chance of making a mistake.

But why would I read a review from IGN about the latest episode of Breaking Bad. I mean, I already watched it. Would I read it because I missed it? No. I would just watch it later.

Is it for people who wouldn't normal watch it? I guess.

Works good for Review-A-Wai because they have the benefit of insider knowledge on old shows and how things did end up going. Review-A-Raw is just a Raw replacement for me really so I can keep up. They also point out a lot of things normal viewers may miss.

Go find HHH's match with Taka Michinoku from Raw in April 2000. That was when HHH was at his absolute peak. He made Taka look like he was seriously going to win the WWF Title.

jmdajr

Go find HHH's match with Taka Michinoku from Raw in April 2000. That was when HHH was at his absolute peak. He made Taka look like he was seriously going to win the WWF Title.

There was a lot of internet praise for that one. Those were truly unique times considering the present IWC community.

jred2k

I wouldn't listen to a show that reviews programming of any kind really.

Is it for people who wouldn't normally watch it?

meh, who knows

Its just interesting to hear others opinions on shows sometimes. They may also point out stuff you missed or didn't think about.

Its kind of like reading this thread, but in audio form.

Battleground poster;

1v0LaQv.jpg

“The battle for dominance in WWE is just beginning. See John Cena, Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Dolph Ziggler, The Shield and all your favorite WWE Superstars square off at WWE BattleGround, Sunday, October 6 at 8PM ET/5PM PT, Live on Pay-Per-View.”

There's my lunch hour sorted. Never liked Terry - but this might be a worthy incarnation of his for me to warm to.

I'd say the best way to appreciate Terry if you can't get on board with most of his singles work, is through his tag matches - The Funks are seriously one of the best tag teams ever. Oh, hey, there's an idea;

Fave Five Tag Teams

1. The Holy Demon Army (Akira Taue & Toshiaki Kawada)
2. The Funk Brothers (Terry & Dory Jr.)
3. Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi
4. The Miracle Violence Connection (Terry Gordy & Steve Williams)
5. The Road Warriors (Hawk & Animal)

Honourable mention for Stan Hansen and whoever he carried to tag team greatness, but it Brody, Baba, Gordy, Spivey or DiBiase.

Sunflower said:
It doesn't need to be said, I really enjoy Jumbo Tsuruta a lot. a LOT.

Jumbo really is amazing. I'm so glad I've gone back to watch all this 70's & 80's stuff, as I only ever saw Jumbo as the old veteran Misawa & Tenryu had to go through, I never appreciated what a fantastic wrestler he was. It wouldn't be a far stretch to say he was one of the best in the world in the early 80's.

jmdajr

Its just interesting to hear others opinions on shows sometimes. They may also point out stuff you missed or didn't think about.

Its kind of like reading this thread, but in audio form.

True, but this thread I can read in bits and pieces. Sometimes when hearing a podcast I simply get lost if I don't find it engaging. The ramblings sometimes just don't work for me.

You know Stone Cold interviewing Ric Flair, that's pretty epic stuff. That shit doesn't happen everyday. Random dude talking about HHH burials...can't say it's too exciting for me. I guess I would have to warm up to the hosts first.

Ithil

I don't think you're doing to be seeing John Cena there, somehow. I hope they have the "card subject to change" warning. Also what a boring ass poster.

Samuray Del Sol will apparently be known as KALISTO in NXT.

Source? Intriguing name.

Aiii

So not worth it
The Miz doesn't count, clearly it's two names.

Kane has a mask.

Christian has a blue dot.

Hornswoggle is a midget, they belong in the single name catagory. Same goes for gigantism like Khali.

So, I guess Sheamus is either a woman or he's actually super tanned underneath the suit.

-edit: Damn, got nothing for Fandango.

-edit2: No, wait. IT'S FAAAAAHN DAAAAHN GOOOOO. Three names, clearly.

Game Over.

Maybe the thread should've opened with a post that takes twenty minutes to read filled with HHH's accomplishments, then the mod would've understood just how great he was to deserve his own thread title.

Top Bottom