• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| Team WWF vs. The World

Really hoping someone ups the ante with BILLY ROBINSON!

I'll leave that to someone with more knowledge of the man, I've only seen a few of his matches in AJPW from the '70s. Instead, here's some Nick Bockwinkel;

ib2kCWs5Yxdd2T.jpg

Nick Bockwinkel (c) vs Jumbo Tsuruta - (AJPW 02/14/79)

An epic match of wrestling skill for the AWA Title, between the calm and collected technician Bockwinkel, and the young gun ace of All Japan, Jumbo Tsuruta.

Nick Bockwinkel vs Billy Robinson - (AJPW 11/12/80)

I never actually knew this existed until now, just an excellent technical, mat-based wrestling match.

Nick Bockwinkel vs Dusty Rhodes - (Mid-South 05/20/83)

Nick shows up in Mid-South to take on fan favourite Dusty Rhodes.

Nick Bockwinkel vs Curt Hennig - (AWA 02/07/85)

Early match between these two - there are a number of Bockwinkel/Henig matches, and all of them are really good.

Nick Bockwinkel vs 'Macho Man' Randy Savage - (CWA 04/15/85)

Fun match, although I can never get used to watching Macho in full heel mode. Even when he was playing the bad guy in WWF, I still rooted for him as a kid.

Stan Hansen (c) vs Nick Bockwinkel - (AWA 04/20/86)

Part 2

Nick Bockwinkel turned face in late 1985, feuding with former partner Larry Zbyszko, and becomes a big fan-favourite in the process. Here he seeks to get the AWA belt back from the wild and unpredictable Stan Hansen.

Entropia

No One Remembers
loop gifs are always creepy

Yeah... lol

Also, I'm glad that there's actual wrestling discussion going on! I Haven't had time to watch half these matches though :(

I wanted to watch Hart vs. Bulldog from Summerslam '92 last night but people kept bugging me online ;(! That was 20 years ago yesterday or something.

This is... kinda hilarious. I like how Punk and Del Rio are looking at each other as if they are about to make out with each other.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
All this great collection of Vader offsets the bad, bad karma the weird arguments are spawning. Keep it up fellers!

But no White Castle of Fear movie? One of the most action-packed mini-movies with Vader, Sting, and Cheatum the midget:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccG3UM2ilEQ

They spent a LOT of money on this shit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
But whattabout Lou Thesz?!

Lou Thesz never invited his opponents to banquets in ice castles. He didn't have a one-eyed midget either. I gotta give the edge to BIG VAN VADER.

BTW it's BIG VAN VADER and not "Vader" as BIG VAN VADER was the best.

G-Fex

Well I can't argue with that Laserfrog.

Man Laserfrog I really need you to collaberate with me on the E-fed events and PPV's.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
FIVE STARS! That's amazing.

"This towel keeps my neck warm" lol.

You Brits and your humo(u)r.

It wasn't meant as a challenge, Laser...but now you've gone and done it! I will make a BATISTA comic worthy of the gods.

G-Fex

You Brits and your humo(u)r.

It wasn't meant as a challenge, Laser...but now you've gone and done it! I will make a BATISTA comic worthy of the gods.

will it feature Batista popping the collar on his fancy tight pink shirt?

Or dancing at the entrance way to his theme music?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
will it feature Batista popping the collar on his fancy tight pink shirt?

Or dancing at the entrance way to his theme music?

Your imagination in no way will be able to process the amount of Batista coming.

strobogo

Banned
Vader vs Hashimoto with special guest ref...LOU THESZ! CROSSING THE STREAMS!

I'm really saddened I can't find a match with both Bobby Eaton and Vader in it. I'm also sad at the complete lack of response for Bobby Eaton Friday. It's Vader and Bobby Eaton Friday. Bobby Eaton is one of the best dudes ever.

Billy Robinson vs Antonio Inoki 1975
This is super, super awesome. It's over an hour, but it is so good.

On the Nick Bockwinkle tip, I really think he's better than Flair. He's kind of considered the Flair of the AWA, the Mid West Flair, or the poor man's Flair. I think it is totally unfair. I think he was for sure better in the ring and didn't rely on the same formula for every match, his promos were just as good (except he never had anything like Flair's coked up insanity in the 80s, but his calm promos made a lot more sense for his gimmick than Flair's crazy ones), his only draw back was being in the AWA. It was a more boring territory in general and is the less seen than WWE and NWA stuff. If he had had a big run in the WWF or JCP/NWA, he'd be rated so much higher. But he's totally better.

Bockwinkle vs Jerry Lawler in Memphis
So good. I think people who only know about King from the past 20 years in WWE are missing out. Lawler in the 80s was absolutely BAMF. Shockingly good if you've never really seen any of his work.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Vader vs Hashimoto with special guest ref...LOU THESZ! CROSSING THE STREAMS!

I'm really saddened I can't find a match with both Bobby Eaton and Vader in it. I'm also sad at the complete lack of response for Bobby Eaton Friday. It's Vader and Bobby Eaton Friday. Bobby Eaton is one of the best dudes ever.

Bobby Eaton is good, but also REALLY bad. I remember as a kid, hating whenever he was around. "He isn't even beautiful! What a liar!"

Bobby Eaton is a smark's dream. These days, we'd be all over him like white on rice.

Also, yes - Lawler can be a fantastic wrestler. It's a shame his legacy has turned into trash. Thanks Vince.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man Laserfrog I really need you to collaberate with me on the E-fed events and PPV's.

Laserfrog is definitely possible MVP status, going above and beyond what we expect from people.

Holy shit seriously though guys. We have an all-star cast in our midst. You have the Venerable Historian Bootaaay, we have the Esteemed Lucha King tm24, we have the "Surprise Muthafucker I Rule" Laserfrog, and SO MUCH MORE.

I love Wrasslegaf. Best-a-da-best!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I just can't shake this feeling that Frankman likes AJ but is too ashamed to admit it.

Who cares though? Like seriously, who ACTUALLY cares?

Fuck it, I'm not contributing to this shit. Time to post some wrasslin'.

Kota Ibushi vs Nick Jackson vs El Generico vs Jigsaw (CHIKARA King of Trios 2009 Night 2)

One of my favorite matches ever. Like, if someone asks you what CHIKARA is and why it's awesome, just show them this match. El Generico in particular shines here, pulling off shit that I wouldn't even think was POSSIBLE. :lol

G-Fex

The new fed definitely needs a Community thread. MASTER PLANS.

I recommend to shake out the title situations, a BATTLE ROYALE.

Yeah I don't mind doing Battle Royale on the first night's show.

Then from the show we'd move onto the two big PPV's of the remaining year

WWW presents DETOUR

and then Dimension of the Slammed.

Last years Dimension of the Slammed was amazing.

Who cares though? Like seriously, who ACTUALLY cares?
Pretty much since she debuted on NXT, Frankman has ragged on AJ and labelled anyone that found her attractive as a pedophile. In those days it was just Spindashing and a handful of posters that were AJ fans, but now everyone loves AJ. I don't know if Frankman is trying to save face or what but I believe Plywood has stumbled upon a breakthrough.
Fuck it, I'm not contributing to this shit. Time to post some wrasslin'.

Oh, woops.

Yes, let's go back to posting roughly 8 hours of Youtube footage in a thread were the majority of participants are adverse to watching a 3 hour wrestling show.

Seriously, no one is watching all of those clips. How about maybe just choose one Youtube vid?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much since she debuted on NXT, Frankman has ragged on AJ and labelled anyone that found her attractive as a pedophile. In those days it was just Spindashing and a handful of posters that were AJ fans, but now everyone loves AJ. I don't know if Frankman is trying to save face or what but I believe Plywood has stumbled upon a breakthrough.

Oh, woops.

Yes, let's go back to posting roughly 8 hours of Youtube footage in a thread were the majority of participants are adverse to watching a 3 hour wrestling show.

Seriously, no one is watching all of those clips. How about maybe just choose one Youtube vid?

I don't like AJ! Don't pigeonhole me!

The "Watch Later" function on Youtube makes these awesome video dumps worthwhile. I say never stop!

strobogo

Banned
Bobby Eaton is good, but also REALLY bad. I remember as a kid, hating whenever he was around. "He isn't even beautiful! What a liar!"

Bobby Eaton is a smark's dream. These days, we'd be all over him like white on rice.

Also, yes - Lawler can be a fantastic wrestler. It's a shame his legacy has turned into trash. Thanks Vince.

Eaton was never really bad. He's not even really bad today when he wrestles. He was an amazingly terrible promo guy and had a pretty bad look, but it didn't matter. Southern fans knew what was up and how good he was, but a lot of Southern wrestlers had bad looks but got over regardless. Bill Dundee was 4 feet tall and a god in Memphis.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

I'm not averse to watching a 3 hour wrestling show. I'm averse to watching 3 hours of whatever the hell Raw is, but certainly not 3 hours of wrestling. These clips are great, and thanks to them I've seen some awesome matches I might not have seen otherwise.

All the first round matches for the 2012 CHIKARA King of Trios have been announced;

iU3HLjqsDbE4M.jpg

iJyq3H6aZiCyx.jpg

ibjpO6ojv2RgAj.jpg

iDD7rG6ybxN95.jpg

ibi2mRaND4zWGo.jpg

iIX0visORur0Z.jpg

i7jvyz19fuOKL.jpg

iDiWCMR29f5CE.jpg

And someone on the Observer board had an AWESOME idea for the Team WWF vs Extreme Trio match;

"They really need to have Aldo Montoya and 2 Cold Scorpio brawl to the back and come back out as Justin Credible and Flash Funk and switch teams."

strobogo said:
On the Nick Bockwinkle tip, I really think he's better than Flair. He's kind of considered the Flair of the AWA, the Mid West Flair, or the poor man's Flair. I think it is totally unfair. I think he was for sure better in the ring and didn't rely on the same formula for every match, his promos were just as good (except he never had anything like Flair's coked up insanity in the 80s, but his calm promos made a lot more sense for his gimmick than Flair's crazy ones), his only draw back was being in the AWA. It was a more boring territory in general and is the less seen than WWE and NWA stuff. If he had had a big run in the WWF or JCP/NWA, he'd be rated so much higher. But he's totally better.

Definitely, he's such a fantastic wrestler, and very versatile when it came to mis-matches in terms of size and style. I think it was his calm and collected promo style that led to people calling him a poor man's Flair, as Flair's character and the crazy antics that came with it made him all the more easier to despise. I think Bockwinkle raised his voice maybe twice in every promo I ever saw the man cut, he didn't get emotional, but always came across as very cold and calculating, which worked well for him, but led to some finding his style boring, I guess.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
And someone on the Observer board had an AWESOME idea for the Team WWF vs Extreme Trio match;

"They really need to have Aldo Montoya and 2 Cold Scorpio brawl to the back and come back out as Justin Credible and Flash Funk and switch teams."

That's a great idea. That'd be so awesome.

strobogo

Banned
Seriously, no one is watching all of those clips. How about maybe just choose one Youtube vid

Someone will watch all of them, and others will watch one or two really awesome wrestling matches that they've never seen before. Everyone is adverse to watching a 3 hour wrestling show because the 3 hour wrestling show on TV sucks.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I need to learn how to make gifs cause that DDT apartment event was fucking amazing.

Gonna watch it later today - I have a free afternoon at work and that means I will be making additions, however shortlived, to the WCW Archive. I have a handful of Thunder episodes that need to go up there.

Top Bottom