• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| Team WWF vs. The World

strobogo

Banned
Now I'm watching Raw. A. I think it is hilarious that Punk's way of being a heel is by being a WCW guy. B. Punk asking King how he's feeling this week seems a bit dark now.

Bret looks fine. Facially, he hasn't really aged much in the past decade. Just his hair not being soaked with grease and full of gray makes him look older than he is. It's also bizarre to see him not in jorts or wrangler jeans with cowboy boots. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything but those or a suit for Slammies/HOF when not in the ring.

maxxpower

Lawler is like 63 years old right? The dude doesn't look like he's in good shape so I don't know why they made him wrestle these past few weeks.

McNei1y

Smith Hart, Bret's brother, said on Twitter that a friend backstage told him that Jerry Lawler was clinically dead for 20 minutes before finally being revived by a defibrillator.

oh man..

Didn't watch Raw.

What did Cena say?

After chants "You can't wrestle" directed at him, he switched Montreal's hate into "the crowd being truthful here". So he went on and used by insulting Punk in French, where as a result, the crowd went nuts because of something he said. He then mentioned he'll say it again in English and proceeded to call Punk an ignorant son of a bitch (censored) and that he's going to whoop his ass. Somewhere in there he also targeted Punk's heel persona about never being in a main event and that he has been boring or something like that.

oh man..

After chants "You can't wrestle" directed at him, he switched Montreal's hate into "the crowd being truthful here". So he went on and used by insulting Punk in French, where as a result, the crowd went nuts because of something he said. He then mentioned he'll say it again in English and proceeded to call Punk an ignorant son of a bitch (censored) and that he's going to whoop his ass. Somewhere in there he also targeted Punk's heel persona about never being in a main event and that he has been boring or something like that.

My favorite part was when he said Punk stole the late great Macho Man Randy Savage's elbow drop.

That was a mostly good Cena promo. But then he went ahead and buried the Punk's title and all of it's contenders, retroactively shitting on:
Del Rio, Miz, Ziggler, Jericho, Truth, Daniel Bryan, Kane, and the Big Show.

Even in your fictional wrestling world, CM Punk is not a manager and does not set his own opponents or his placement on the card. This is a legitimate claim that Punk is making and Cena can address it while still making Punk the bad guy, instead in one of the worst promo moves I've seen in a long time he called the title under Punk irrelevant.
Calling your opponent irrelevant is beyond stupid, it makes me less inclined to watch your match then if you win you beat a nobody and if you lose you lost to a nobody, who gives a shit? Chris Jericho said in his first book that you should never ever bury your opponent in a promo because it just makes everyone look worse, John Cena still doesn't fucking get that after more than a decade on television.

Smith Hart, Bret's brother, said on Twitter that a friend backstage told him that Jerry Lawler was clinically dead for 20 minutes before finally being revived by a defibrillator.

That doesn't make sense to me. I would think Montreal's arena would have either a doctor on staff, or at least an automated defibrillator in medical center. This isn't BFE, its a major city with a major team, they should have these things on hand.

Maybe the medical room is staffed by Canadiens employees only? Seems like a liability if they aren't available for all large crowd exhibitions like this and concerts as well, though.

strobogo

Banned
Lawler is like 63 years old right? The dude doesn't look like he's in good shape so I don't know why they made him wrestle these past few weeks.

He's in good shape for his age, he wrestles weekly on the indies still, and he would prefer to be a full time wrestler than commentator. He wasn't "made" to wrestle, he wants to wrestle. People usually don't have heart attacks out of the blue without an underlying issue. An underlying issue that would have caused him to have a heart attack regardless of if he wrestled or not.

And what the fuck, 20 minutes clinically dead?

That doesn't make sense to me. I would think Montreal's arena would have either a doctor on staff, or at least an automated defibrillator in medical center. This isn't BFE, its a major city with a major team, they should have these things on hand.

Maybe the medical room is staffed by Canadiens employees only? Seems like a liability if they aren't available for all large crowd exhibitions like this and concerts as well, though.

The WWE have a Doctor on staff who is at every show, you would probably recognize him as he appears basically every time there's a real medical emergency. I can't imagine that the WWE or the arena were missing a defibrillator.

maxxpower

If this situation were to occur again they can't do this "show must go on" crap, they need to stop whatever's going on and get the paramedics out there. It seemed like Lawler was down for like four minutes before he received any assistance.

Enfinit

He's in good shape for his age, he wrestles weekly on the indies still, and he would prefer to be a full time wrestler than commentator. He wasn't "made" to wrestle, he wants to wrestle. People usually don't have heart attacks out of the blue without an underlying issue. An underlying issue that would have caused him to have a heart attack regardless of if he wrestled or not.

And what the fuck, 20 minutes clinically dead?

Exactly. I'm 99% sure that his heart attack was unrelated to him wrestling. The man's in great physical shape for his age.

Yes, and no one has confirmed he doesn't have brain damage. The most detailed report anyone's gotten is that he's barely responding to light.
That's the thing that's worrying everyone at this point. We're all relieved that he's alive and stable, but no one's mentioned whether or not the man can verbally react. That's the part that's worrying me the most.

The WWE have a Doctor on staff who is at every show, you would probably recognize him as he appears basically every time there's a real medical emergency. I can't imagine that the WWE or the arena were missing a defibrillator.

There is also that. I was just thinking there had to be a regulation on all events having at least a doctor readily available for both performer and crowd emergencies.

I also have to imagine there is some sort of regulation in most stadiums across North America that you have to have a defibrillator that doesn't take 20 minutes to get to at least a performer.

I am confused, is all.

That's the thing that's worrying everyone at this point. We're all relieved that he's alive and stable, but no one's mentioned whether or not the man can verbally react. That's the part that's worrying me the most.

Man, to think we might have heard him speak for the last time.. scary stuff. I hope it's not as bad as we're all thinking it is. :(

KissVibes

Banned
It sucks to hear about Lawler.

I missed Raw tonight so I'm watching it now and Sheamas is a real piece of shit and seems a little racist.

strobogo

Banned
There is also that. I was just thinking there had to be a regulation on all events having at least a doctor readily available for both performer and crowd emergencies.

I also have to imagine there is some sort of regulation in most stadiums across North America that you have to have a defibrillator that doesn't take 20 minutes to get to at least a performer.

I am confused, is all.

I don't think I've ever had a job that didn't have a defibrillator on site. Even in offices. And there was mandatory training on how to use it in 3 completely different fields I've worked in. For sure places that gather multiple thousands of people and house athletic events have multiple defibrillators on site. On top of that, I'm sure the medical teams at shows have their own additional one.

That was a mostly good Cena promo. But then he went ahead and buried the Punk's title and all of it's contenders, retroactively shitting on:
Del Rio, Miz, Ziggler, Jericho, Truth, Daniel Bryan, Kane, and the Big Show.

Even in your fictional wrestling world, CM Punk is not a manager and does not set his own opponents or his placement on the card. This is a legitimate claim that Punk is making and Cena can address it while still making Punk the bad guy, instead in one of the worst promo moves I've seen in a long time he called the title under Punk irrelevant.
Calling your opponent irrelevant is beyond stupid, it makes me less inclined to watch your match then if you win you beat a nobody and if you lose you lost to a nobody, who gives a shit? Chris Jericho said in his first book that you should never ever bury your opponent in a promo because it just makes everyone look worse, John Cena still doesn't fucking get that after more than a decade on television.

Agreed. You guys saying Cena didn't do his gimmick attacking thing are way off base as well. By calling out Punk for his gimmick/motive changing and legend homages like the Savage attire, the elbow drop, or the Hitman attire he had on tonight, he's essentially making character evolution and/or growth look like negative traits (or that he hasn't "found himself yet" or something), and in turn making his stagnation come off like he's just "being himself" whether people like it or not, as if that's positive. That's a terrible point for the consistently dominant face of your company to make. Basically attacked CM Punk for being an interesting/versatile character. He said "bitch," and got the cheap pop for speaking French, but it was still a John Cena ass John Cena promo.

I am confused, is all.

I am pretty sure they did their best to get Lawler help. They probably didn't know he even needed help at first he could have been there at least a minute or so before Cole realized he needed help and wasnt just coughing. 6 to 10 guys rushed to his aid which seems really amazing to gather that many people. This a company that goes crazy for a blood spill im sure their medical staff is top notch

When someone is clinically dead, you can minimize the damage to the brain by applying CPR, even if the body is not making it on it's own, some air and some blood does circulate.

That's why when you are applying CPR, you don't stop, hell, if you go at it for an hour, and then QUALIFIED personnel does get there, they might still be able to do something for him.

It appears this was the case, and why they made a point of saying that he was breathing on it's own.

Just googled it:
Once CPR is initiated the rescuer should only stop if one of three things happens:

1. The patient is successfully resuscitated, or

2. Advanced life support takes over from the first responder, or

3. The first responder becomes physically exhausted.

CPR is not only performed for patient resuscitation, the patient may have no chance of surviving, but because the first responder maintained an Oxygen flow through the body and all the organs, those organs can then be harvested for transplant into other patients suffering from organ failure.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_maximum_recommended_allowed_time_for_CPR#ixzz268leLZYk

Hope he didn't got too much of damage.

edit: Defibrilators are not a toying around tool. They actually kill the patient so that CPR takes over. When a heart is fibrilating, is the same as the heart having a seizure. It's just wigglin' around not doing it's job. The defibrilator (the new ones at least) scan for this signs, and then recommend killing it. Shock. It's dead. Now it's your job to keep the people with oxygen flow. You're the one who might make him come back to life.

It's like jump starting a car.

Oh god i hope i never have to do that again. I still have nightmares.

WWE has confirmed Jerry Lawler suffered a heartattack

Jerry 'The King' Lawler suffered a heart attack while commentating during Monday night's broadcast of 'Monday Night Raw' in Montreal. We are hopeful Jerry makes a full recovery and returns to WWE in the near future. Our thoughts are with Jerry and his family.

Just watched Raw. Knowing what was going to happen then hearing the snoring sound when Lawler had the heart attack was pretty horrible.
Glad it didn't happen off camera though, spares him the indignity of it being turned into a viral video/gif.

Heretic

Pipe bombs all over CM Punk. Can't believe I marked out for Cena... Ugh. Great fucking speech though. Good job, Cena.

I need a shower.

BlazinAm

KrYSH.png

Cena got some explaining to do.

Mr. Robot

I still don't like Cena, he did the things that i really hate on promos:
-He tried to shoot burry his opponent, using arguments that don't have anything to do with the opponent (e.g. Punk can't be the main event)
-He went for the cheap pop, pandering to the crowd/Bret Hart, speaking in the city's language
-He did his stupid smirk

-He tried to shoot burry his opponent, using arguments that don't have anything to do with the opponent (e.g. Punk can't be the main event)
-He went for the cheap pop, pandering to the crowd/Bret Hart, speaking in the city's language
-He did his stupid smirk

He essentially burried the title and all the challangers CM Punk has faced by calling it irrelevant....BUT THE PASSION MAN THE PASSION!!! IT SHOOK CM PUNK! CM PUNK IS VISIBLY SHOOK!

Mr. Robot

-He did his stupid smirk

It should have been Punk the one saying that Cena is an ignorant son of a bitch, and a phony...

Now that i think about it, this is like when Triple H does one of his promos on someone, and he is saying things that practically describe himself

FyreWulff

Exactly. I'm 99% sure that his heart attack was unrelated to him wrestling. The man's in great physical shape for his age.

I hate to say it but I think his on-screen career is over. If it's not over then it's going to years before we see him again.

We came this close to seeing a wrestler die in the ring, live. I honestly think he'd be dead if that had happened mid-match, because there would have been wasted time from everyone thinking he was selling a bump. Or if he had been in the back getting ready for a match and nobody found him until it was time for the match to start.

Giard

I was in Montreal, my first live wrestling show ever. I hope Jerry is going to get better, nobody knew how to react. We didn't even get an update on his health condition during the breaks, and we couldn't hear Cole talking about him (actually we heard him say one sentence only during the whole show).

The crowd went wild for Cena at the end. Quebecers love hearing some French from non-native speakers, and Cena seemed to actually care for once as he talked. Wish I could've seen Damien Sandow (and Jericho). Overall I really liked the experience and I'd probably do it again.

There were two matches recorded for Superstars before Raw, Justin Gabriel vs Tensai and Santino vs Jinder Mahal. They weren't bad.

Enfinit

I hate to say it but I think his on-screen career is over. If it's not over then it's going to years before we see him again.

I feel the same, I think it's safe to assume he's done with commentating, at least for a very long time. He was getting near the point of retiring as it was, but it totally sucks to have gone out like this... I'm also generally curious on who's going to replace him, or if Cole's going to fly solo.

strobogo

Banned
The Cena promo was interesting. On one hand, it was clearly pandering from the second he said he could never lace Bret's boots. It went on for a while in that vein, but it worked. The rest of it was great, especially towards the end when it got super heated. But WWE has just spent over a year building Punk as a guy who wouldn't back down in that situation. And not only did he back down, he tried to attack Bret twice, and then ran away exasperated. It's just lazy. His heel turn is about him not being respected as champion, not just a generic heel turn. In fact, he clearly stated he didn't turn on anyone and has supported the crowd. But now he's insulting the crowd, talking like Jericho, making mean faces instead of saying or doing something. That's the opposite of what he has been portrayed as for the past year.

His motivations really haven't changed since the original pipebomb. But now he's a generic heel. That's a bummer. Hopefully the Heyman stuff leads to something a little more interesting than generic WWE heel Punk.

FyreWulff

I feel the same, I think it's safe to assume he's done with commentating, at least for a very long time. He was getting near the point of retiring as it was, but it totally sucks to have gone out like this... I'm also generally curious on who's going to replace him, or if Cole's going to fly solo.

For now? Probably JR. Possibly Josh Matthews and Cole will just do double duty on both Raw and Smackdown. They locked Booker T up in the GM storyline already, so that's a no-go.

DXPett1

For now? Probably JR. Possibly Josh Matthews and Cole will just do double duty on both Raw and Smackdown. They locked Booker T up in the GM storyline already, so that's a no-go.

Remember when Vince died...

EDIT: I do hope WWE take this as a chance to try out new commentary teams. They have nothing to lose. If there was ever a time the TV folk will accept new voices its now

Rewatched the end of RAW and i understand Cena's promo now i hope they take this chance to evolve CM Punks character and really make him a main eventer and not tarnish his title run so far because it has been good match/in ring wise

Aiii

So not worth it
I should've skipped certain parts of this show, but morbid curiousity made me watch it. I'm freaked out guys.

I don't always read WWE.com articles, but when I do, they're about Paul Heyman and CM Punk by Joey Styles.

Still not really worth a read, but it's neat that Styles wrote it.

Aiii

So not worth it
You know, as much as I like to mock the whole "WWE Universe" talk they do, I do notice that whenever bad stuff happens to somebody in wrestling I'm way more invested then with other celebrities/TV shows.

There is some merrit to the idea that we're all sorta connected through this thing called wrasslin'

You know, as much as I like to mock the whole "WWE Universe" talk they do, I do notice that whenever bad stuff happens to somebody in wrestling I'm way more invested then with other celebrities/TV shows.

There is some merrit to the idea that we're all sorta connected through this thing called wrasslin'

No, I agree.

Hope King pulls through.

Ah you can see during the match that everyone is distracted. King's commentary sounds very broken and croaky too. You can see him grabbing his shoulder in one of the shots before the camera's start to cut away to keep it all out of frame. Ah that's emotional knowing. :(

Just heard about the Lawler stuff a while back - stopped watching RAW after an half hour last night.

I remember hearing Lawler at the start of RAW last night, and feeling disappointed he was back on commentary again - and wishing they'd get him off air again. Feel bad thinking that now.

Have the rest recorded, but not sure I will watch it when I get back home... too morbid :/.

So it was a heart attack after all....

That what I had feared while it all unfolded :(

I saw JR said something on Twitter about blocked arteries, which will get sorted out (I think surgery for that is non-invasive too - not 100% on that though)

Hopefully the actual heart attack caused him no permanent damage. That is the big worry now IMO.

Top Bottom