• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| Team WWF vs. The World

Jerry Lawler Update: Vince By His Side, No Sign of Ill Health

Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez of F4Wonline.com are reporting that WWE Chairman Vince McMahon was at Jerry Lawler's side through the entire ordeal. Lawler is believed to had some kind of heart surgery or a cardiac catheterization for further investigational and interventional purposes.

http://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/...date-Vince-By-His-Side-No-Sign-of-Ill-Health/

No sign of ill health? Hope that's a good sign.

Also:

Stacy Carter ‏@stacycarterkat

Just got a @JerryLawler update. He had a stint & a balloon put in. Right now he is still heavily sedated. Will update when I know more

Which was 18 minutes ago.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jerry Lawler Update: Vince By His Side, No Sign of Ill Health

Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez of F4Wonline.com are reporting that WWE Chairman Vince McMahon was at Jerry Lawler's side through the entire ordeal. Lawler is believed to had some kind of heart surgery or a cardiac catheterization for further investigational and interventional purposes.

http://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/...date-Vince-By-His-Side-No-Sign-of-Ill-Health/

No sign of ill health? Hope that's a good sign.

Good on Vince, this also explains the decision to do the rest of the show without commentary. I'm sure he doesn't care and won't criticize anyone for that move, because there's really no way to win in a situation like that.

This explains why Vince never came out and talked to people, etc.

Aiii

So not worth it
Good on Vince, this also explains the decision to do the rest of the show without commentary. I'm sure he doesn't care and won't criticize anyone for that move, because there's really no way to win in a situation like that.

This explains why Vince never came out and talked to people, etc.

I figured it was because they were in Montreal, the last person that should've been out there with news on Lawler was Vince.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I only watched the opening of Raw with Bret, I don't think I'll be catching up on it. :(

You're probably better off just reading recaps. It'll bum you out and things are simply weird.

Laserfrog

You're probably better off just reading recaps. It'll bum you out and things are simply weird.

I'm already really bummed out, like others have said when a wrestler or someone to do with the wrestling business falls seriously ill or dies it seems to hit harder than say a film celebrity or someone of that nature.

I first read it on my facebook and was hoping it was a work, but it wasn't. Really hope he gets better, I guess he won't be wrestling Matt Classic again though.

Was just looking at the morning newspaper. It's always weird to see anything wrestling featured and it's never good. Really wish the media would fuck off with their slights toward the company for continuing the show.

I've said some really hateful mean-spirited things about Lawler in the past, so this may seem hypocritical, but I am relieved to hear he is doing better.

I only watched the opening of Raw with Bret, I don't think I'll be catching up on it. :(

Watching the last interview might be ok. It's really good. There is no need to watch the rest of the show.

No sign of ill health would completely negate the claims that he was clinically dead for 20 minutes.

I've said some really hateful mean-spirited things about Lawler in the past, so this may seem hypocritical, but I am relieved to hear he is doing better.

Whenever we talk shit on a wrestler, it is (for the most part) about their on air persona. King seems like a cool guy outside of the ring.

Punk isn't going back to midcard status, win or lose. Why do you even think this? Since getting his new contract, when have we seen Punk get beaten on a consistent basis and made look weak (for example, like how Zigger has looked like a goober by Sheamus) by his opponent? I can't remember. Only guys who've been that way before him doing so were Orton and Cena. Get the idea?

Between now and the Rumble, it's up to Cena and Punk exchanging wins, promos, etc., because it will be one of them facing Rock at RR I presume. They won't randomly drop Punk to feud with Jinder Mahel just because he loses this. Ziggler is one guy who should be winning at the PPV, especially since Orton is leaving to film his movie.
Im just expecting the worst if Cena gets the title he won't drop it till rumble if that. Punk will go back to his old heel spot where he was basically a jobber to the mega faces. What Del Rio is doing currently is where Punk was right when he was going to quit. I did not like what they did with punk yesterday they made him the generic cowardly heel just so they could get the cheap heat because nobody wants to boo him facing Cena. Punk is trying to do some sort of angry cowardly heel but it's not working the crowd won't boo him because he's in the right with his gripes. Cena has been in the main event the entire time without the title and somehow cena spins this to being punks fault. He needs to either go back to pipe bomb cm punk before HHH killed him or invent a new character because this current one is not working.

Kyoufu

Im just expecting the worst if Cena gets the title he won't drop it till rumble if that. Punk will go back to his old heel spot where he was basically a jobber to the mega faces. What Del Rio is doing currently is where Punk was right when he was going to quit. I did not like what they did with punk yesterday they made him the generic cowardly heel just so they could get the cheap heat because nobody wants ro boo him facing Cena. Punk is trying to do some sort of angry cowardly heel but it's not working the crowd won't boo him because he's in the right with his gripes. Cena has been in the main event the entire time without the title and somehow cena spins this to being punks fault. He needs to either go back to pipe bomb cm punk before HHH killed him or invent a new character because this current one is not working.

I say wait and see how all this unfolds. We've yet to see Heyman get involved so it could still work.

But it's WWE. It probably won't.

/negative

The era of HHH-esq heels who dominate and destroy babyfaces is over. You're never going to have Punk as a heel and looking strong. Unless you're a Mark Henry or Big Show, they don't know how to book anyone like that anymore.

The era of HHH-esq heels who dominate and destroy babyfaces is over. You're never going to have Punk as a heel and looking strong. Unless you're a Mark Henry or Big Show, they don't know how to book anyone like that anymore.

You're right, but I was always impressed by how strong they let Daniel Bryan look despite his size and being a heel (besides, you know... that one match...). It helps that he was mostly in there with Punk and they both knew how to make each other look great.

Good morning everyone.

I'm glad Lawler is ok. I know he is not out of the woods yet, but that he is still with us.

I can't believe G-Fex is banned. Right when I just got back. If you are reading this, I would very much like your 16 gigs. Please. :)

You're right, but I was always impressed by how strong they let Daniel Bryan look despite his size and being a heel (besides, you know... that one match...). It helps that he was mostly in there with Punk and they both knew how to make each other look great.

I don't think they'll ever book punk to look "weak" as a fighter, but they'll have him run away, refuse matches, etc. it's the only way they know to get a crowd to boo anyone over Cena.

I hope the claims that Lawler was clinically dead for 20 minutes aren't true. Confused with all these conflicting stories.

Well, the one thing you could take away from it is even if it wasn't 20 minutes, if that claim is being spread around he probably WAS dead for a certain length of time. I hope it wasn't long enough to cause any major damage.

I actually didn't mind Cena's promo it was actually interesting to see him getting 'believably' angry (even if it did go back to Goofy).

He said things we all thought about CM Punk lately that basically all the stuff he said during his Summer of Punk never really happened. That Punk is just as self serving as anyone else in the business.

The cheap tactics to win the crowd over I'm not too bothered with as really I think that's what Cena is left with. If he doesn't big up the home crowd and it's local heroes people are just going to boo him.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Good ole WWE crowds;
5istb.png

Cena's promo was fine but it still felt more the same than his usual stuff which is funny because of what he was going on at Punk about, :lol

I say wait and see how all this unfolds. We've yet to see Heyman get involved so it could still work.

But it's WWE. It probably won't.

/negative
I'm sure we'll get snipets of greatness my only problem with heel punk is he's gonna be where Bryan was recently he will have good matches but will never get wins and will get beat by out of nowhere moves. wins and loses do matter when they influence the audience on who to cheer for ( so faces will win for the most part ) But also affects the match quality when you know who's gonna win(heels dont win) and when the finish is coming(out of no where) . The SES Punk and Nexus were the worst he was jobbed out bad to Rey, Big Show, Orton, Cena. I liked face punk because his matches were almost never cookie cutter matches and they were competitive, face punk is not superman. He even got good matches out of all the slow big guys except for Khali. Dont ruin punk by making him a coward...again.

What happened with Lawler? I didn't watch Raw, I just assumed it was a work or something.

Had match early in the night
Had a legitimate heart attack at announce table later on (during another match)
Got taken away on stretcher
Heart may have stopped at this point
Got CPR backstage
This made him responsive - breathing on his own
Got taken to hospital in City
Getting better now (but still serious - it is a heart problem after all)

Cole looked visibly shaken after it happened and close to tears
Stop commenting for rest of night (with about 45 minutes to go)
Updated viewers on how Lawler was doing, with the info posted above, after matches (he stayed at the table mostly silent)
Crowd knew something was up - went quite for ages after it happened

Raw almost ended with Cena's music playing

Jim Ross ‏@JRsBBQ

Lots of speculation re: my dear friend @JerryLawler. He's stable & being expertly cared for in Montreal following heart attack. Stable=good.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well, that sucks about Lawler. Hopefully it means his doctor will tell him to stay out of the ring for his own health. I can't imagine any of that is good for you at that age with that much wear on your body.

Also, hell yes to this
tumblr_ma6bxczxnL1rdmew5o1_500.jpg

Toki767

The problem with Cena's promos are that everytime he talks, the other person has to be all serious. Everytime it's the other person's turn to talk, he just smiles and acts like nothing they say ever gets to him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The problem with Cena's promos are that everytime he talks, the other person has to be all serious. Everytime it's the other person's turn to talk, he just smiles and acts like nothing they say ever gets to him.

Except for Batista. Batista made him look a fool

Yep I think it was 2 weeks ago when cena came out did his cena thing then left the ring before his opponent could retort

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Would WWE be shameless enough to use this as an opportunity to put Heyman on colour for a while to really spice up Punk/Cena?

I don't think they want Heyman on commentary. Likely you'll just see Booker out there.

Also, I don't want to sound like too much of a dick, but I respect King's in-ring achievements far more than his statutory rapin', mean-ass lying shit he did with kids and more. I'll keep my respect for him in the ring, and I hope he recovers, but I'm definitely not doing it because of his actual self. :( I sound like such a dick.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
i make it rain, make it rain
eVESo.jpg

also, Marufuji vs Kojima is gonna be hype. Marufuji is really the closest to a modern Shawn Michaels in terms of ability. He could wrestle a broom and it would be hype

Top Bottom