• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| Team WWF vs. The World

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Teddy Long?

God, I hope not.

RETURN OF BIG JOHNNY
AU54E.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
To be fair, as "fun" as Johnny Ace was, the product did get noticably better when he was taken off air.

I think Lawler would work a lot better as commentary if they did force him and Cole to play characters or face/heel stuff all the time. Just let them call the match.

Aiii

So not worth it
I think Lawler would work a lot better as commentary if they did force him and Cole to play characters or face/heel stuff all the time. Just let them call the match.

As good as Lawler once was, he doesn't need to be on commentary at all. He was never good as a face commentator and frankly, he got stale as fuck.

Also, a 60-year old oggling young 20-years old is just not appealing to anyone.

This is a good time to take him off the air and put him on a legends deal. Give someone else his spot, they have plenty of talent that can do commentary. I mean, why not give Road Dogg a try as color commentator?

bangai-o

Banned

but Lawler wasnt being that. He was just sucking at commentary. He doesnt even know how to call the match. I was not watching WWF back in the day, so I have no idea if he actually did play by play calling the actions in the ring, but he sure never does that now.

Enfinit

As good as Lawler once was, he doesn't need to be on commentary at all. He was never good as a face commentator and frankly, he got stale as fuck.

Also, a 60-year old oggling young 20-years old is just not appealing to anyone.

This is a good time to take him off the air and put him on a legends deal. Give someone else his spot, they have plenty of talent that can do commentary. I mean, why not give Road Dogg a try as color commentator?

Road Dogg wouldn't be bad, you're definitely right that WWE has plenty of talent to choose from. It shouldn't be that hard, I'm hoping when Punk retires from in-ring action he'll take the throne.

I've been asking this forever too. Laurinaitis had completely exploded as a heel figure and then...just disappeared.

They booked themselves into a corner. They couldn't have Big Show go over him at No Way Out (since Cena had lost at the last 2 ppvs and they didn't want him to look weak), and they couldn't have Vince turn on Cena since that had been done to death. Hopefully the rumors are true and he comes back as a manager of some sort.

So I think Prime Time Players might be cursed.

AW was fired as there manager.

Goldust was fired for giving the ok on them doing a dangerous move that they botched and nearly killed Tatsu

Now the King has a heart attack during one of there matches.

Who's next?

So I think Prime Time Players might be cursed.

AW was fired as there manager.

Goldust was fired for giving the ok on them doing a dangerous move that they botched and nearly killed Tatsu

Now the King has a heart attack during one of there matches.

Who's next?

Well, Percy Watson is still stuck in NXT hell...

Aiii

So not worth it
I wonder how Ziggler is feeling, I mean he was the guy beating on Lawler in their match and gave an elbow drop right to his heart, I cringed when I saw it.

Dude must feel like shit.

Lawler's not out of the woods yet. He's being prepped for heart surgery today. According to his girlfriend on Facebook, they've put a stint/baloon in his heart and have him heavily sedated.

When my Dad died (he was only 3 years younger than Lawler is now), we managed to get him to the hospital before he had a heartattack. He had complications an hour after surgery and eventually died after 3 weeks of his body just not responding.

So let's not cheer for Lawler's victory yet, he's still got a long way to go.

Aiii

So not worth it
Lawler's not out of the woods yet. He's being prepped for heart surgery today. According to his girlfriend on Facebook, they've put a stint/baloon in his heart and have him heavily sedated.

When my Dad died (he was only 3 years younger than Lawler is now), we managed to get him to the hospital before he had a heartattack. He had complications an hour after surgery and eventually died after 3 weeks of his body just not responding.

Fair enough. But to be positive, my dad had 5 stents in 2004 (after 3 mild heart attacks) and a quintuple bypass a month ago and he's still alive and kicking. So lets hope for the best.

Sort of crazy thing, if this had happened on like a Tuesday night or alone in his hotel room that night then we likely wouldn't even be hearing about a potential recovery. The fact that it happened at Raw, while terrible that it had to be on air, was probably a good thing.

SUPREME1

Banned

Sorry to hear that about your dad. Dark days, I'm sure.

Yeah, I think people are just happy for Lawler because he made it through the night.

Oh and as far as replacments for King.....

They need a good color commentator so maybe its time to give Road Dogg a go?

Booker is busy as GM of Smackdown for now so it cant be him

Not sure Foley would be interested.

Mat Striker would be great so they wont let it happen.

Josh Mathews would be a safe bet but Cole and Mathews commentary is super dull.

Maybe move Mathews to Raw for the time being and give his SD spot to road dogg or striker.

I wonder how Ziggler is feeling, I mean he was the guy beating on Lawler in their match and gave an elbow drop right to his heart, I cringed when I saw it.

It was most likely the exertion of the over match that brought it on - no one move or person did it.

If it was a blockage, it was coming anyway, and to be honest, it happened at the best possible time it could (he was within 50 meters of multiple trained medical staff)

If it came on in a hotel room, or when he was on the road, things could have turned out much worse.

McNei1y

Aside from the botch and stuff, that move was so awesome.

I mean King was in the match for quite awhile. I know he's in shape and all but he was running, jumping on turnbuckles, jumping off turnbuckles, selling like a champ, and getting dropped on the chest. A lot of stuff that could've caused a rush.

Aiii

So not worth it
It was most likely the exertion of the over match that brought it on - no one move or person did it.

If it was a blockage, it was coming anyway, and to be honest, it happened at the best possible time it could (he was within 50 meters of multiple trained medical staff)

If it came on in a hotel room, or when he was on the road, things could have turned out much worse.

Rationally, yes. Emotionally? I'd be a fucking wreck for at least a week.

Ozone

I'd like them to bring in Joey Styles as play-by-play and shift Cole over to color. Joey understands the moves better and it could give Cole a chance to work being a heel without distracting from the action being called.

A stent is the least invasive surgery they can do for a heart too. It involves making a small cut in the wrist/thigh, putting the tiny balloon into the vein, and then it gets carried to the blockage where it is then inflated.

People who did not already have a cardiac event would be up on their feet within hours of such an operation

I'd like them to bring in Joey Styles as play-by-play and shift Cole over to color. Joey understands the moves better and it could give Cole a chance to work being a heel without distracting from the action being called.

I'm not sure Joey is exactly itching to get back in a position to have Vince scream in his ear again.

jmdajr

Anyone here have a wake up call last night?

I took pretty good care of myself. Don't have high cholesterol, hdl/ldl balanced correctly, not overweight, normal blood sugar levels, etc. But yeah, can't ever let myself go. Gotta keep at it.

strobogo

Banned
I get a hearty lol out of people saying Heyman and King would have too much class to turn this all into an angle. Of everyone currently in the company, along with Vince McMahon, they are the two I would EXPECT to turn it into an angle. This is pro wrestling, my boys, there is nothing classy about it. And of all the people with the company, King and Heyman are the only old school guys and "classy" is never a word that should be associated with either of them.

As long as King recovers (and probably even if he doesn't, as long as it isn't severe brain damage or anything), I fully expect it to get turned into part of the story. Even if it is just a passing reference from Punk/Heyman. It probably wouldn't even crack the top 10 of tasteless angles for Heyman or King.

Rationally, yes. Emotionally? I'd be a fucking wreck for at least a week.

Sure, I understand when you put it that way.

I remember thinking the same for Mr Kennedy/Anderson when Eddie died. He wrestled him in his last match - and gave him a huge unprotected chair shot to the head in it. Was probably the last bump Eddie took too.

No one would be comfortable with such a thing - even if they were not the direct cause of the event that happened.

jmdajr

I get a hearty lol out of people saying Heyman and King would have too much class to turn this all into an angle. Of everyone currently in the company, along with Vince McMahon, they are the two I would EXPECT to turn it into an angle. This is pro wrestling, my boys, there is nothing classy about it. And of all the people with the company, King and Heyman are the only old school guys and "classy" is never a word that should be associated with either of them.

As long as King recovers (and probably even if he doesn't, as long as it isn't severe brain damage or anything), I fully expect it to get turned into part of the story. Even if it is just a passing reference from Punk/Heyman. It probably wouldn't even crack the top 10 of tasteless angles for Heyman or King.

well this did happen...

Dave Batista says......

If I can think back, I don't think anyone exploited Owen Harts death.

So what. It wasn't for that night. That doesn't mean it isn't for another night. It absolutely would be if this were Memphis in the 80s or ECW in the 90s.

WWE would storyline this if they still had competition. I see no reason to do it now.

A "Welcome Back Jerry" night a few months from now will give them a nice ratings bump - and they will probably go for that instead if everything works out.

jmdajr

So what. It wasn't for that night. That doesn't mean it isn't for another night. It absolutely would be if this were Memphis in the 80s or ECW in the 90s.

Only two fake heart attack story lines I can remember is Flair and Teddy Long. I'll tell ya what though, I thought Flair was gonna die the last time I saw him wrestle.

also, Marufuji vs Kojima is gonna be hype. Marufuji is really the closest to a modern Shawn Michaels in terms of ability. He could wrestle a broom and it would be hype

dope!

I want to see this!

also, they should do guest commentators for a while.

- Styles
- Gertner
- Schivone
- JBL
- Ventura
- Z-Z-Z-Zbyszko
- Vince
- Nash
- JR
- Punk
- Heyman
- Stryker
- Coachman
- Grisham
- Bischoff
- Mongo

Heh, forgot that one. Wasn't he in Goldust's last wedding? I remember NXT commentary being hilarious.

They made an Al Wilson joke, but sadly no that wasn't really him. Also it just occurred to me that NXT had two wedding angles in the span of like two years, what an awesome show.

Fave five NXT seasons:
5. NXT: Season 2 - Low Cool was a fun concept and the show's premise hadn't worn thin yet
4. NXT: Season 3 - Things start to turn weird, commentary becomes self-aware. Punk makes guest commentary spot
3. NXT: Season 1 - New concept, pretty great cast
2. NXT: Redpemtion - Weirdest television show WWE has ever produced
1. NXT relaunch at FSU - No explanation needed, it's a straight up good wrestling show

izakq

Only two fake heart attack story lines I can remember is Flair and Teddy Long. I'll tell ya what though, I thought Flair was gonna die the last time I saw him wrestle.

Another one that happened way back was Fritz Von Erich, to which got bad results. The fans of WCCW thought it was in bad taste considering what the Von Erich family had gone through beforehand at the time (David and Mike deaths).

Aiii

So not worth it
They made an Al Wilson joke, but sadly no that wasn't really him. Also it just occurred to me that NXT had two wedding angles in the span of like two years, what an awesome show.

Fave five NXT seasons:
5. NXT: Season 2 - Low Cool was a fun concept and the show's premise hadn't worn thin yet
4. NXT: Season 3 - Things start to turn weird, commentary becomes self-aware. Punk makes guest commentary spot
3. NXT: Season 1 - New concept, pretty great cast
2. NXT: Redpemtion - Weirdest television show WWE has ever produced
1. NXT relaunch at FSU - No explanation needed, it's a straight up good wrestling show

I would switch numbers 2 and 4.

I would switch numbers 2 and 4.

S1/S3/Redemption are all really close together in terms of enjoyment and could probably be a three way tie. I gave the edge to Redemption because in the latter half, after all of the pros had been released or suspended, it became clear that no one high up was really paying attention anymore and it basically became a David Lynch take on wrestling.

Top Bottom