• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| Team WWF vs. The World

NXT season 3 is amazing becasue of the commentary. also the gong

2025303-cole1.gif

NXT Redemption was this awesome , surreal thing that it was amzing that the WWE could produce a thing. between kidnappings,and the whole roster being awesome to boot. also some damn good wrestling.

strobogo

Banned
Only two fake heart attack story lines I can remember is Flair and Teddy Long. I'll tell ya what though, I thought Flair was gonna die the last time I saw him wrestle.

I don't think the lack of competition matters. WWE has done some of their most distasteful angles since 2001. Paul Heyman and Jerry Lawler are the kind of guys who wouldn't let a tragedy or injury go by without getting something out of it for the show. If either guy were in charge of booking, there would no doubt be an angle about it.

Consider that JR's Bells Palsy has been used numerous times since 1996 (including two HEEL turns, somehow), King's marriage problems and legal issues in regards to the rape and sodomy charges of a young girl in the 90s has been used constantly as joke fodder since then and then made part of his character as a lecherous old man starting in the Attitude Era and (while toned down) is still used to this day. How many unbelievably creepy jokes has he made about young Divas, or JR making similar comments about "too old for you" when said Diva is in her early 20s? Or "Uncle Jerry"? Or how about that angle with Doug Gilbert "shooting" on Lawler being a a rapist?

How about the Freebirds/Mike Graham angle shortly after Eddie Graham committed suicide. While Mike was talking about his father, the Freebirds came out and cut a heel promo on Eddie Graham and then beat the shit out of Mike, all so Mike could get over and have a big comeback. This was like, 2 weeks after Eddie Graham had killed himself.

Then of course, everything with Eddie.

Or maybe when they played up Hawk's serious alcohol problem to the point where he was attempting suicide on live television by contemplating jumping off the Titan Tron, only to have Droz (or Puke) end up "accidentally" shoving him off. This was then revisited by Punk last year during the New Nexus stuff which was definitely supposed to evoke Hawk/Owen and someone maybe dying on screen. WCW did their own version of it with Scott Hall.

And speaking of WCW, there was the whole Oklahoma thing which was mind blowing that anyone thought that was a good idea or funny (even though Ed Ferrara did to that at least once in WWF before getting murdered by Dr. Death, and Vince obviously has no problem making fun of JR's affliction). Then there was Buff's return from neck injury being used as an angle (awesomely, because this is pro wrestling and that's what you do) to turn him heel, but also a few times though out the years of "my neck, my neck" in the ring for angle usage. Or maybe Kanyon getting thrown off the top of the Triple Decker Cage onto the ramp with the announcers acting like he died...in the same building that Owen died in, almost to the day a year later. In the end, Kanyon was paralyzed and in a halo and whatnot...and turns on DDP a month later, it all being a ruse.

And this doesn't really touch upon ECW or various territories that had even less shame than Vince or Bischoff. Wrestling is sleazy as fuck and typically nothing is off limits to use as an angle. In fact, it is preferred when real life things can be used as as the basis for angles.

I wish I had seen NXT more.

Where do I start with the current season?

The current season is just a normal WWE wrestling show - with a bit of a indie feel. It is good to watch - because it is good wrestling content,

The crazy stuff is the previous season

Season 1 lasted 15 episodes. Season's 2 and 3 lasted 13. Season 4 was crazy because it last 67 episodes - and felt like it would never end

Season 2 had the Genesis of McGillicutty on the final episode, which was a moment of intense joy

NXT's greatest credit aside from the mountains of both intentional and unintentional humour is introducing me to Mr winds of change Wade Barrett and the origins of the Nexus.

Jerry Lawler Update: Vince By His Side, No Sign of Ill Health

Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez of F4Wonline.com are reporting that WWE Chairman Vince McMahon was at Jerry Lawler's side through the entire ordeal. Lawler is believed to had some kind of heart surgery or a cardiac catheterization for further investigational and interventional purposes.

http://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/...date-Vince-By-His-Side-No-Sign-of-Ill-Health/

No sign of ill health? Hope that's a good sign.

Also:

Stacy Carter ‏@stacycarterkat

Just got a @JerryLawler update. He had a stint & a balloon put in. Right now he is still heavily sedated. Will update when I know more

Which was 18 minutes ago.

Completely random professional opinion but it sounds like he had a pretty massive heart attack. From reading that tweet, I'm surmising that he had a significant blockage (the stent) and is receiving hemodynamic support with an intraaortic balloon pump (guessing thats the balloon). This isn't the therapy for run of the mill MIs for sure. He had a hell of a heart attack and I hope he gets through it.

Top Bottom