• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| Team WWF vs. The World

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Very memorable for me. The year Cena didn't get the title.

How is that not memorable?

Hell I think that says more about Cena being able to stay relevant without it. But part of that is due to the WWE cheapening the titles so damn much.

jmdajr

2012-09-19-raising%20awareness.jpg

Entropia

No One Remembers
Hell I think that says more about Cena being able to stay relevant without it. But part of that is due to the WWE cheapening the titles so damn much.

Yeah.

I mean, the title, for all intents and purposes should be the main event. Look how often it actually has been? :\

NoC is practically the first time it's been the main event, and that was because Cena was involved.

Though, I think given that Cena probably will be out for Hell In A Cell, we should get CM Punk vs. ????(Zigger? Rhodes? Please?!?!) as the main event.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

What I mean is it's not much of a reign as a champion should have. He's constantly overshadowed, and the lack of main event PPV matches shows the end result. It just hasn't felt like "This is the champion and face of the WWE" because he's still in Cena's shadow. This isn't a new criticism, though. He hasn't had many major events happen with him as the catalyst.

He simply "has the championship" and that's about all it's been, ever since he beat Del Rio.

strobogo

Banned
The weirdest thing about JBL was that for years I didn't think much of him and his title reign and commentary made me realize how awesome he was. But when I went back and actually watched him, he was awesome straight from the beginning. As Justin Hawk Bradshaw, as Blackjack Bradshaw, as Acolyte Bradshaw, as APA Bradshaw, and as JBL. His promos and in ring work were the shit right from the beginning and I don't know how I never saw it.

I think it was that the cowboy gimmick typically didn't really work well in WWE so I never took him seriously. Outside of the Original Blackjacks, I can't think of a successful cowboy gimmick throughout WWE history. Sam Houston if you're very, very generous. That's probably why I never realized he was awesome until the APA run or so.

Oh okay, I'll agree with you there. Punker had December-Royal Rumble of last year when he was looking like the actual catalyst of change, but then they threw Cena back into the headline position for no god damn reason, but otherwise yeah you'd be right.

I was mostly laughing because there aren't really all too many "memorable" title reigns. JBL had a decent one, until you remember that the title matches during that era were snooze inducing and Cena's reigns will only be remembered as the most despised face champion of all time.
I think right now Punk's only claim to fame has been that he has delivered solid title matches throughout his reign.

pants

The weirdest thing about JBL was that for years I didn't think much of him and his title reign and commentary made me realize how awesome he was. But when I went back and actually watched him, he was awesome straight from the beginning. As Justin Hawk Bradshaw, as Blackjack Bradshaw, as Acolyte Bradshaw, as APA Bradshaw, and as JBL. His promos and in ring work were the shit right from the beginning and I don't know how I never saw it.

I think it was that the cowboy gimmick typically didn't really work well in WWE so I never took him seriously. Outside of the Original Blackjacks, I can't think of a successful cowboy gimmick throughout WWE history. Sam Houston if you're very, very generous. That's probably why I never realized he was awesome until the APA run or so.

billy and bart gunn?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Three times tag champs in the span of three years (which is all they had together) is pretty good. They were also over with the crowd

I think that counts for the time. Me, I liked the West Texas Rednecks more.

Kyoufu

Oh okay, I'll agree with you there. Punker had December-Royal Rumble of last year when he was looking like the actual catalyst of change, but then they threw Cena back into the headline position for no god damn reason, but otherwise yeah you'd be right.

I was mostly laughing because there aren't really all too many "memorable" title reigns. JBL had a decent one, until you remember that the title matches during that era were snooze inducing and Cena's reigns will only be remembered as the most despised face champion of all time.
I think right now Punk's only claim to fame has been that he has delivered solid title matches throughout his reign.

He came back into the main event because of his feud with Rock, then Brock.

tm24

SO i just found this is out there somewhere

2. Death Match Tournament Semi Final, Homeless Man Death Match: MASADA vs Brahman Kei
3. Death Match Tournament Semi Final, Special Ladder Death Match: Isami Kodaka vs Jun Kasai
6. Death Match Tournament Tournament Final, Special Glass Board Death Match: Winner of 2 vs Winner of 3

Be back later with gifs!

Aiii

So not worth it
aj8x10ajorg003.jpg

AJ's new ring gear.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG

They need to let her wrestle damnit! No more suits and shorts, more hot tight pants!

Kaladin

2. Death Match Tournament Semi Final, Homeless Man Death Match: MASADA vs Brahman Kei
3. Death Match Tournament Semi Final, Special Ladder Death Match: Isami Kodaka vs Jun Kasai
6. Death Match Tournament Tournament Final, Special Glass Board Death Match: Winner of 2 vs Winner of 3

Be back later with gifs!

How does a homeless man death match work exactly?

Three times tag champs in the span of three years (which is all they had together) is pretty good. They were also over with the crowd

Mmm, but that was during the weakest point in wwf history (although todays product is starting to come close). I personally found them pretty boring. They were no blackjacks, that's for sure.

So I expect Joey Styles to bury Cena on .com now. Because really, it's Joey Styles.

He should totally do guest commentary next week and bring it up

Aha, awesome - finally found out the meaning behind the jump Japanese wrestlers & refs do after a botch or comedy spot, like this one;

iwZ51ALd2Jaf.gif

It originated in Michinoku Pro and is called the 'kinchan jump' (欽ちゃんジャンプ), named after variety show comedian Kinichi Hagimoto - when someone botches, the wrestler in question mimics Hagimoto with a spin followed by the jump, while the other wrestlers (and even the referee) have to jump in time with the botcher to avoid ridicule. Lol.

Random, I know, but this is something that's confused me about Japanese wrestling for over a decade!

Be back later with gifs!

Nice, I haven't watched it yet, but the final is meant to be absolutely sick.

Aha, awesome - finally found out the meaning behind the jump Japanese wrestlers & refs do after a botch or comedy spot, like this one;

iwZ51ALd2Jaf.gif

It originated in Michinoku Pro and is called the 'kinchan jump' (欽ちゃんジャンプ), named after variety show comedian Kinichi Hagimoto - when someone botches, the wrestler in question mimics Hagimoto with a spin followed by the jump, while the other wrestlers (and even the referee) have to jump in time with the botcher to avoid ridicule. Lol.

Random, I know, but this is something that's confused me about Japanese wrestling for over a decade!

I wish I could do this at work whenever I fuck up.

Top Bottom