• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| Team WWF vs. The World

I've been watching some videos of Joey Ryan..He's a badass heel....
His recent matches with Brian Cage and Chavo....lol him and the crowd going at it...

because i post awesome okada and no one wants to talk about it. i gotta talk about stupid wwe crap like funkotron and the funkettes for people to listen

I appreciated the Okada picture, but half of these guys don't even know him. Whatevs, though. Don't just up and join the dark side because of it.

DON'T BE THAT GUY

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Who the hell is funkatron and funkettes?

tumblr_m1j8vtNNeV1qzxzcso4_500.gif

strobogo

Banned
I decided I'd catch up on the last two months of NXT. Even if all the matches aren't the greatest, it's a really fun show. I feel like an hour is really the best length for a TV wrestling show. Any non in-ring segments are strictly to further characters or set up matches. And even then, they're pretty short and to the point.

I don't really care for Byron Saxon. He sounds like he's yelling constantly and his voice squeaks quite often. He's really grating after a few shows. I'm also not sold on Jinder. After all the hyping here that he's actually really good. I think he's really awkward and the NXT Title match was good despite him. He moves like an old man. I also can't figure out why WWE has him as a heel when they only hired him to tap into the Indian market. Seems like they'd want him to be a face and on top of that, he looks and sounds like he'd be the nicest guy when he's not scowling and yelling.

Really enjoying Seth Rollins. I was never a big fan of his on the indies, but I'm liking in work in NXT. McGillicutty is also looking great. He's improved dramatically. He'll be earning the Hennig name pretty soon, I think. Hero is being Hero, which is great, but all the Ohno puns are awful. "When they see me coming, they say OHHHHH NOOOOOO!!!" So bad. And when he yells OOOOOOHHHHNNNNOOOOO in the ring before hitting a move, it might be ever worse. Other than that, he's doing his Chris Hero thing, but with JR and Regal calling the action. And speaking of Regal and JR, they're great. Regal rambles, repeats himself a lot, and stutters, but he's so likable that it makes up for him not being that great of an announcer. I enjoy that they all call each other Mr. Regal, Mr. Ross. And how they talk about the matches, the wrestlers, the trainers, inventors of moves. Regal in particular will bring up the most obscure European guys (and often Canadian and Indian if Jinder is wrestling) and have a personal anecdote about them. It's really refreshing. They also go out of their way to mention 2nd and 3rd generation superstars even when the names don't match up. Regal mentioned Eddie's daughter by saying he wasn't going to pretend and hide her heritage.

But the guy I'm most impressed with is Richie Steamboat. I didn't know what to expect out of him considering his dad is one of the best ever. He's still young and green, but he has that same likability that his dad has. I really want to see him succeed. He looks so much like him in the face. I see a bright future ahead of him. He's already not an embarrassment to the name, which is more than a lot of 2nd generation guys with fathers not nearly as good as Ricky Steamboat can say.

It's a fun, old school wrasslin show. I don't know how they can do NXT so well, but are so bad at their actual TV shows. Their spotlight packages on guys are also way better than anything I've seen on Raw or Smackdown in ages. Bray Wyatt, Big E Langston, Eddie's daughter, The Assention...all have promo packages that have higher production values and more thought put into them than the real TV shows have done Carlito. I can't even remember any real hype videos since him. Tensai's I guess, and Kharma. But they weren't nearly as good as what they are doing for guys in NXT.

I enjoy seeing lower card WWE guys that never get TV time get to go down there and cut loose. Tyson Kidd, McGillicutty, Gabriel, Slater, Drew, UUUUNico, Camacho (who I don't think has even had a match on TV besides the Ryback squash, has he?), Claudio. It's a good little show. Done so well that it will blow your mind that the same company doing this is also putting on awful 3 hour shows on Mondays and dead shows on repeat on Fridays.

strobogo

Banned
Seems that way. All of the story lines are "I don't like this guy's attitude, let's have a match". That's really all you need for pro wrestling. No story lines over shampoo commercials or hand shakes or spilled coffee. Just simple, basic wrestling stories. No hostile take overs, no GM feuds (in fact, Dusty was only on the show twice in two months and that was to announce the title tournament and present the belt), no feuds with announcers, no pointless backstage segments, no commentators fighting among themselves and shitting all over the product at every chance.

It's the best possible WWE show right now.

trunbuns

Could not agree more. I will always watch Raw for the 'big' moments (when they occur), but NXT is now the program I look forward to the most each week. The Gold Rush tournament was so simple but executed really well. I would have preferred McGillicutty in the final but Mahal wasn't a bad opponent for Rollins. As someone mentioned yesterday, the title match being commentated by JR and Dusty presenting the belt went a long way to making the title seem important. I think that 'old school' is the perfect term to describe it. I don't want people rushed to the main roster but NXT makes me excited to see what these guys can do in the future.

strobogo

Banned
And the whole roster and a number of main roster guys standing on the ramp watching the title match. I haven't seen that in a long time outside of tribute shows or Hall of Fame stuff. NXT is like an indie promotion with the best possible production levels.

VerTiGo

Banned
I've been watching some videos of Joey Ryan..He's a badass heel....
His recent matches with Brian Cage and Chavo....lol him and the crowd going at it...

Yeah, I've seen some of the Youtube stuff he posted. He can work, but I doubt they will let him use the super kick signature move when James Storm milks it. A shame too, because he has a running boot to super kick set up that's pretty neat.

I am looking forward to his future with TNA.

And the whole roster and a number of main roster guys standing on the ramp watching the title match. I haven't seen that in a long time outside of tribute shows or Hall of Fame stuff. NXT is like an indie promotion with the best possible production levels.

Well it technically is, its honestly just FCW with a new coat of paint. Maybe FCW doesn't count as Indy enough they don't run PPVs but its similar enough. Its actually a good thing its not on TV in the US or else it would be like the old NXT and be a gameshow/10 minute wrestling program. It also lets them try things they normally wouldn't and the normal WWE audience would see all these guys as jobbers/Rookies if they did air and acknowledge the existence of NXT in the US.

Tataaa~

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
*reads last page*

You guys are idiots.

Rat on me in the cosplay thread but nobody fucking rats on you guys?

I can never tell if you're serious or not. But I really hope you aren't ACTUALLY getting this bent out of shape over a forum. Chill, man. You're starting to come off as one of those guys who would get perma'd, then lurk GAF for Youtube videos and post derogatory comments about the mod that banned you on them.

Got back home from the CZW show- this one was a LOT longer than the Evolve show, but there was also a long intermission, and a delayed start. CZW may have had twice the crowd that Evolve had, and the CZW show was put together better- there were so many spotfests in Evolve that by the time the main event started, the crowd was dead. For CZW, there were more promos, less spots per match, and by the time the crazy plunder and insane highspots were broken out in the final match, the crowd was super hot.

I'm really glad I went- WWE has done a lot of work over the last 5 years or so to kill my interest in wrestling. I'll probably go to all local CZW, Chikara, and Evolve shows in either South Jersey or Philly, and will probably consider iPPV- although i heard the CZW one was a trainwreck

Yeah, the CZW iPPV was really awful - first two matches where unwatchable, and when they returned from intermission the sound was out of synch. Fun show though, although I had to tap out before the main event, as it was 4:30am here by the time Masada/Generico ended - speaking of which, I really enjoyed that match. Far more than I was expecting. Masada really brought it here - much better than the match with Sami earlier in the night. As for EVOLVE, once it got to the main events it was awesome, but, as you said, the crowd was really dead. The first half of the show kinda fell flat - the opening promo dragged on too long and none of the matches really did anything for me. The main event was insane though, well worth the price of admission. Samuray Del Sol is inhuman.

Okada is lame that's why. Naito is the future of New Japan, not Samoa Joe's bitch.

Pffffffftt, Naito's a nothing. Maybe one day he'll be something more, but not today. This is Okada's time, and the Rainmaker vs Tanahashi will be the feud to define New Japan. Naito needs a heel to feud with. Nakamura, for instance, as he's not doing much recently.

Kaladin

Yeah, the CZW iPPV was really awful - first two matches where unwatchable, and when they returned from intermission the sound was out of synch. Fun show though, although I had to tap out before the main event, as it was 4:30am here by the time Masada/Generico ended - speaking of which, I really enjoyed that match. Far more than I was expecting. Masada really brought it here - much better than the match with Sami earlier in the night. As for EVOLVE, once it got to the main events it was awesome, but, as you said, the crowd was really dead. The first half of the show kinda fell flat - the opening promo dragged on too long and none of the matches really did anything for me. The main event was insane though, well worth the price of admission. Samuray Del Sol is inhuman.

I was basically the same way with CZW. I tried to watch AR Fox vs Dave Christ live, but passed out tired. I'm gonna have to catch that and Rich Swann vs Shane Strickland on the VOD version. I hope CZW can allow WWNLive to do their own thing in the future because I want to support them and watch their product but not while it's on Hybrid Ent.

Seems that way. All of the story lines are "I don't like this guy's attitude, let's have a match". That's really all you need for pro wrestling. No story lines over shampoo commercials or hand shakes or spilled coffee. Just simple, basic wrestling stories. No hostile take overs, no GM feuds (in fact, Dusty was only on the show twice in two months and that was to announce the title tournament and present the belt), no feuds with announcers, no pointless backstage segments, no commentators fighting among themselves and shitting all over the product at every chance.

I think so, too. NXT works far better as a wrestling show than either RAW or Smackdown because it doesn't overstep its boundaries or take on more than it can handle. I'm glad that Vince and co. aren't directly involved, and that the NXT staff are left to their own devices for now.

For my friends and I, NXT is basically a web show - and when I first suggested watching it over Smackdown, they gave me the kind of look I imagine someone would have gotten back in the day for saying that Heat or Velocity were better shows than RAW. But they changed their minds when I managed to get them to watch an episode, and they did so because of all the things you mentioned. All things considered, NXT really is a well produced show, and I'm glad that it's become more popular (outside of this thread) in recent weeks.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
*reads last page*

You guys are idiots.

Rat on me in the cosplay thread but nobody fucking rats on you guys?
I know you're joking, or maybe not, I can never tell with you. You jump to a new gimmick every week (weren't you a girl a few days ago?), but there's no reason to rat on anyone.

If any of those Kane pics were divas gifs of them dancing or shaking their asses, no one would be complaining. While the "rape joke" was in bad taste, this thread can't go two days without someone mentioning rape or making a rape joke. Remember the "Kane dragging Zack Ryder into his 'rape hole'" nonsense? Or Michael Cole and Heidenreich? Or Lesnar and HBK a few weeks ago? I mentioned that this thread had some weird obsession with it a while back, but my post went largely ignored.

Get the faux-outrage out of here.

G-Fex

I know you're joking, or maybe not, I can never tell with you. You jump to a new gimmick every week (weren't you a girl a few days ago?), but there's no reason to rat on anyone.

If any of those Kane pics were divas gifs of them dancing or shaking their asses, no one would be complaining. While the "rape joke" was in bad taste, this thread can't go two days without someone mentioning rape or making a rape joke. Remember the "Kane dragging Zack Ryder into his 'rape hole'" nonsense? Or Michael Cole and Heidenreich? Or Lesnar and HBK a few weeks ago? I mentioned that this thread had some weird obsession with it a while back, but my post went largely ignored.

Get the faux-outrage out of here.

shut up, you think you're so smart with your archive of Kane pics.

I'm bringing Wrasslegaf down in a blaze of fire.

BURN BABY BURN

Oh yeah, No Surrender is airing today. Totally slipped my mind.

Well, I'm looking forward to Bully Ray vs James Storm, they should be able to put on a good match. That match and the Tag Team Championship match should be solid, but the rest of the card looks iffy to me.

I don't have an archive of Kane pics.

I personally believe that SoulPlaya just wills uploaded pictures of Kane into his posts. He is one acquainted with the night. He has walked out in Kane fandom - and back in Kane fandom, and he does so as he feels appropriate.

Kaladin

Why isn't Austin Aries on this poster?

It features all 12 Bound For Glory series participants, since this PPV is about ending the BFG series. Everything else should be secondary, and I actually like that they're not even defending the title here to make the BFG title shot more important.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah, okay, I've received enough complaints about the thread now that we can do two things: we could get back to talking about wrestling (or whatever the WWE is currently putting out with title to such claim), or I could start cleaning out the thread of malcontents/people disinterested in talking about wrestling so that those who want to talk can do so in a much smaller forum.

Seriously, stop it.

Top Bottom