• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

Budget cuts

zEcaXhC.jpg

PPV-specific sets would change the entire game. Characters would be more well-formed. Crowds would be hotter. Believe it.

That Mania 21 set is garbage, though.

Aiii

So not worth it
This sounds like the opinion of someone who never goes to the gym

Actually TE this year really exposed that just building a fuckton of muscle doesn't actually do much for stamina and physicality, given how quickly the roided up guys got shown up by the MMA guys.

Fox318

Just imagine the reaction if she beats Bayley for the title.

Is it wrong that part of me wants that to happen just to hear and see the crowd reaction and the heat.

Although I honestly think its the bad type of heat and Bayley as champion is a bigger moneymaker than Eva will ever be.

Actually TE this year really exposed that just building a fuckton of muscle doesn't actually do much for stamina and physicality, given how quickly the roided up guys got shown up by the MMA guys.

lol do you think everyone at the gym is just trying to "build a fuckton of muscle"
do you think "MMA guys" don't go to the gym?
smh

jmdajr

lol do you think everyone at the gym is just trying to "build a fuckton of muscle"
do you think "MMA guys" don't go to the gym?
smh

Not everyone no. A lot...yes.

Is Vince McMahon a good athlete? No.

Athletic people might be good at the gym. More than likely. But it's not always the case the other way around.

Eva's improved from being a talentless model to a talentless work-in-progress. Either way, she still has no business being on NXT TV yet. Getting on NXT TV has always been a next-level development scenario for people who are good enough in ring but still need to build their overall presentation. Are you seriously going to tell me that Eva's in ring work is good enough to warrant that? All of the other people with little experience get time down in the performance center to train before they get called up to television and I can't think of a single person who made it to NXT TV that was as bad in-ring as Eva currently is.

And I'm saying this fully aware of how bad The Ascension and Baron Corbin were at first.

NXT TV has only been a thing for 3 years and has not "always" been anything other than developmental. It should not be treated as otherwise. HHH screwed the pooch making people believe it was something bigger and better. It's traveling developmental. That's what it is and what it will always be. The majority of the roster will always be young, inexperienced talent being given time to get acclimated to working in front of crowds on TV. So, yes, Eva's in ring work is good enough to warrant that. Anyone's ring work is good enough to warrant that. Because that's the point of NXT, not to be some super indie with nothing but top talent, despite what the branding would lead you to believe.

Fox318

NXT TV has only been a thing for 3 years and has not "always" been anything other than developmental. It should not be treated as otherwise. HHH screwed the pooch making people believe it was something bigger and better. It's traveling developmental. That's what it is and what it will always be. The majority of the roster will always be young, inexperienced talent being given time to get acclimated to working in front of crowds on TV. So, yes, Eva's in ring work is good enough to warrant that. Anyone's ring work is good enough to warrant that. Because that's the point of NXT, not to be some super indie with nothing but top talent, despite what the branding would lead you to believe.

Its half-traveling developmental and half indie showcase.

People need to look at Big E as somebody with no prior indie background who went to FCW and NXT. Big E needed time down there and he is really good right now.

Helps that the New Day probably write their own stuff.

Doesn't make you an athlete.

I mean...you have to be athletic to be stronk in the gym. Unless athlete strictly means "get paid to compete in legitimate sporting events", then basically no wrestlers are athletes. A non-athlete couldn't do the weight training and no hands cartwheel thing Dana Brooke does.

Sephzilla

Just because you want to believe NXT is something doesn't mean it actually is.

NXT TV is basically a small budget WWE show now where development is second to putting on entertaining wrestling. It's been this way since WWE Network became it's home. NXT TV is no longer pure development anymore. The performance center and non TV house shows are where the real in ring development happens and is exactly where Eva Marie should be.

jmdajr

I mean...you have to be athletic to be stronk in the gym. Unless athlete strictly means "get paid to compete in legitimate sporting events", then basically no wrestlers are athletes. A non-athlete couldn't do the weight training and no hands cartwheel thing Dana Brooke does.

What's the wrestlers background? Did they play sports? Amateur Wrestler? Football? Gymnastics?

Being "fit" to me means nothing. Hooray you can bench press.

Eva's improved from being a talentless model to a talentless work-in-progress. Either way, she still has no business being on NXT TV yet. Getting on NXT TV has always been a next-level development scenario for people who are good enough in ring but still need to build their overall presentation. Are you seriously going to tell me that Eva's in ring work is good enough to warrant that? All of the other people with little experience get time down in the performance center to train before they get called up to television and I can't think of a single person who made it to NXT TV that was as bad in-ring as Eva currently is.

And I'm saying this fully aware of how bad The Ascension and Baron Corbin were at first.

You guys need to give her a chance man. I see somehting in her, that she has the ability to be great. She obviously works hard.

When I was taking a shower on Saturday, I thought if I ever met her, I would love to offer her some encouragement, because it upsets me to see her treated the way she is by the fans. I would tell her exactly this:

Listen don't let anyone get you down. I see the work you have put in. Just keep going after it. Don't let the fans or the crowd get you down. I see something special in you, and I think you have the potential to be one of the greats. Just keep at it.

I think people are misreading me. My position is that the gym isn't about building muscles, but rather fitness in all forms.
And yes "being good at the gym" does make you an athlete. It's not the only thing it takes but it is the one trait all real athletes have in common.

The attitude that fitness and gym use is only for meatheads is really sad when I know many in this community could use it. Basically I'm tired of the #dnb attitudes in here

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hey! First thing you do is hit the cardio. Next thing, go for full on strength training. Don't do any less than 3 sets a day. Each time change the routine daily. You'll be all muscle. I guarantee it!

Cagey

Banned
Did Xavier Woods just play the Final Fantasy victory fanfare on the trombone on Raw or am I dreaming a wonderful dream.

What's the wrestlers background? Did they play sports? Amateur Wrestler? Football? Gymnastics?

Being "fit" to me means nothing. Hooray you can bench press.

Dana Brooke was a gymnast for like 20 years and was also a diver. Is she an athlete now? Eva played soccer for California State. The Bellas were also heavily into soccer growing up. All four of those women are actual athletes, even if you somehow want to consider wrestling to not be an athletic endeavour just because it isn't a real sport.

jmdajr

I was pretty darn fucking good at Yoga. For the average meat head some of that is impossible to do. I would never say that made me a good athelete though.

Running, jumping, catching, just being good on your feet really.

I guess everyone's list would be different.

The shit Cena does. Yeah that's hard. I don't think I could ever do that.

I am sure lota of folks can't do 10 push ups, but the fact that I can do them isn't very impressive.

Edit: Eva played soccer? Hmmm.
was she good?

Cagey

Banned
He does it twice.

Amazing. As a former terrible trombone player and forever Final Fantasy addict, I approve so hard.

I had the quartet play this after my wedding ceremony, and I managed to get out of the room alive and with the biggest shit-eating grin on my face since I was given explicit marching orders of "no weird video game nerd music" at the wedding.

95% of the room thought it was a fun classical song, 5% of the room burst out laughing.

I was pretty darn fucking good at Yoga. For the average meat head some of that is impossible to do. I would never say that made me a good athelete though.

Running, jumping, catching, just being good on your feet really.

I guess everyone's list would be different.

The shit Cena does. Yeah that's hard. I don't think I could ever do that.

I am sure lota of folks can't do 10 push ups, but the fact that I can do them isn't very impressive.

Okay, well Dana was a gymnast in competitions and a diver, and Eva and the Bellas played soccer. So they are athletes, right?

jmdajr

Okay, well Dana was a gymnast in competitions and a diver, and Eva and the Bellas played soccer. So they are athletes, right?
I guess you can be an athlete simply by competing. But athletic?

And even then some naturally atheltic people suck because they don't have discipline for the game.

jmdajr

Who has been the best wrestling personality based on looks alone. No atheltic ability,ring psychology or character/charisma.

WrestlingDVDNetwork.com has revealed the following matches so far as being part of WWE's upcoming "Owen: Hart of Gold" DVD set:

* Blue Blazer vs. Mr. Perfect - Meadowlands • May 8, 1989
* Owen Hart vs. Mark Kyle - World Championship Wrestling • March 16, 1991
* WWE Intercontinental Championship Match: Owen Hart vs. Shawn Michaels Wrestling Spotlight • August 28, 1993
* Exhibition Match: Owen Hart vs. Nick Barberri - WrestleMania XI Public Workout; Times Square, NYC • March 28, 1995
* North American Heavyweight Championship Match: Owen Hart vs. Makhin Singh - Stampede Wrestling • May 1988
* Owen Hart vs. Bret Hart - WrestleMania X • March 20, 1994
* King of the Ring Finals: Owen Hart vs. Razor Ramon - King of the Ring • June 19, 1994
* Lumberjack Match for the WWE Championship: Owen Hart vs. Bret Hart - Portland, ME • August 17, 1994
* WWE Tag Team Championship Match: Owen Hart & Yokozuna vs. The Allied Powers - In Your House • July 23, 1995
* # 1 Contender for the WWE Championship: Owen Hart vs. Shawn Michaels - In Your House • February 18, 1996

I guess you can be an athlete simply by competing. But athletic?

And even then some naturally atheltic people suck because they don't have discipline for the game.

Lol dude. Why are you so against labeling Dana as an athlete when she's spent her entire life in athletics, only doing the weight lifting stuff in the last couple? You can't be in gymnastics for 18 years and not be athletic. She's obviously an athletic athlete. Who did real sports competition before she did weight training competitions, which is absolutely an athletic event.

Eva played on the team for California State, so I'd imagine she had to be fairly decent.

jmdajr

Lol dude. Why are you so against labeling Dana as an athlete when she's spent her entire life in athletics, only doing the weight lifting stuff in the last couple? You can't be in gymnastics for 18 years and not be athletic. She's obviously an athletic athlete. Who did real sports competition before she did weight training competitions, which is absolutely an athletic event.

Eva played on the team for California State, so I'd imagine she had to be fairly decent.
I got no beef against Dana. Not sure how that came across.

Eva must have been a bench warmer.

Top Bottom