• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

I don't think them running arenas all the time is the cause of the sterile feeling. The problem is more that the shows have such a standardized pace to them, there is no sense of life whatsoever. When was the last time that, instead of having one guy cut a promo and then get attacked by whoever he's feuding with, they interrupted something else and showed a camera running up to a brawl in progress? Shit, you could have a whole feud where you only see the tail end of a fight that broke out in the back, with each wrestler giving their own account of what happened, and let the audience piece things together. That's not complicated, but it is potentially interesting and different storytelling. Why does every commercial break have to have a very obvious big spot leading into it? Why do so many matches have to go so long? Why isn't there any effort made to hide the staginess of the backstage segments? Why are there never any segments of the wrestlers out in the world? Why is it that you rarely ever get skits of supposed friends just shooting the shit in the back, like the APA sitting around and tossing back beers in their makeshift "office" back in the day? Why do we have to have those stupid promos where wrestlers stand against a black backdrop and spout unimportant bullshit at the camera so they have something to play during entrances? Why can't the shows ever start with something other than a 20-minute promo from whoever is in the main storyline at that moment? Why can't we ever have an ending other than one wrestler standing over another in the middle of the ring? One of the better Smackdown endings I remember was Damien Sandow coughing and sputtering on the beach after Cody had thrown his briefcase into the ocean, and Sandow foolishly had tried to go get it. Wasn't that snowed-in episode one of their biggest hits in years? Why can't we have more variations in tone and pacing like that? Why are those Michael Cole interviews rarely played on TV when they're usually so good?

I know WWE makes Raws with the idea that most people only watch it every few weeks, but fuck, it's not even like each show has a third of a week's worth of good stuff. I understand we're stuck with 3-hour Raws for at least a few more years, but if they would just change the pacing, it wouldn't be THAT bad. It's basically a kids' show, but more kids would like it if there were more happening on it.

I do find it funny that Lance Storm hates Russo because Russo is the only person who pushed Lance Storm. There was a time when Lance had a heavyweight title shot and it almost seemed plausible thath e might win it.

And I don't know why he did because Lance was fucking boredom incarnate.

"Let me be serious for a minute" was a genius catchphrase for him, though.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B
SuperBrawl II - B+
WrestleMania VIII - B-
WrestleWar '92 - B-
Beach Blast '92 - B+
Clash of the Champions XIX - B
The Great American Bash '92 - C+
SummerSlam '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XX - B+
Halloween Havoc '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXI - C+
Survivor Series '92 - C-
Starrcade '92 - B-

Clash of the Champions XXII - B
Royal Rumble '93 - C
SuperBrawl III - B-
WrestleMania IX - C-
Slamboree '93 - D+
King of the Ring '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXIII - B-
Beach Blast '93 - B-
Clash of the Champions XXIV - C+
SummerSlam '93 - D
Fall Brawl '93 - C-
Halloween Havoc '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXV - C-
BattleBowl - D
Survivor Series '93 - F
Starrcade '93 - C

Royal Rumble '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVI - B-
SuperBrawl IV - B-
WrestleMania X - B-
Spring Stampede '94 - B
Slamboree '94 - C
King of the Ring '94 - D
Clash of the Champions XXVII - C
Bash at the Beach '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVIII - C+
SummerSlam '94 - C-
Fall Brawl '94 - C-
Halloween Havoc '94 - D+
Clash of the Champions XXIX - D
Survivor Series '94 - F
Starrcade '94 - D

Royal Rumble '95 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXX - D+
SuperBrawl V - D+
Uncensored '95 - F
WrestleMania XI - D+
In Your House 1 - C-
Slamboree '95 - C-
The Great American Bash '95 - D
King of the Ring '95 - F
Bash at the Beach '95 - F
In Your House 2: The Lumberjacks - C
Clash of the Champions XXXI - C
SummerSlam '95 - C+
Fall Brawl '95 - D+
In Your House 3: Triple Header - C+
In Your House 4: Great White North - D+
Halloween Havoc '95 - F
Survivor Series '95 - C+
World War 3 '95 - C
In Your House 5: Seasons Beatings - C-
Starrcade '95 - B-

Royal Rumble '96 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXXII - C
SuperBrawl VI - D+
In Your House 6: Rage in the Cage - C-
Uncensored '96 - D
WrestleMania XII - B-
In Your House 7: Good Friends, Better Enemies - C-
Slamboree '96 - C
In Your House 8: Beware of Dog - B-
The Great American Bash '96 - B
King of the Ring '96 - B-
Bash at the Beach '96 - B
In Your House 9: International Incident - C-
Hog Wild - C
Clash of the Champions XXXIII - C+
SummerSlam '96 - D+
Fall Brawl '96 - B
In Your House 10: Mind Games - C
In Your House 11: Buried Alive - C+
Halloween Havoc '96 - C+
Survivor Series '96 - B-
World War 3 '96 - B-
In Your House 12: It's Time - C
Starrcade '96 - B-

Royal Rumble '97 - D+
Clash of the Champions XXXIV - C
Souled Out '97 - F
In Your House 13: Final Four - C+
SuperBrawl VII - C-
WrestleMania 13 - C
Barely Legal '97 - C-
In Your House 14: Revenge of the Taker - C-
In Your House 15: A Cold Day in Hell - C
King of the Ring '97 - D+
In Your House 16: Canadian Stampede - B-
SummerSlam '97 - B
Hardcore Heaven '97 - C
Ground Zero: In Your House - D+
One Night Only - C
Badd Blood: In Your House - D+
Survivor Series '97 - C+
November to Remember '97 - C
D-Generation X: In Your House - C
More like SubparBrawl VII.

e190047027650133feba005056a9545d

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Would the D-Generation X ppv be considered equivalent to NWO: Souled Out?

December to Dismember, widely regarded as the worst WWE ppv, is like Wrestlemania X-7 compared to Souled Out.

Hell, the In Your House where the power went out, Beware of Dog, is a better show.

Souled Out's biggest competition is something like Triplemania.

RP912

Banned
December to Dismember, widely regarded as the worst WWE ppv, is like Wrestlemania X-7 compared to Souled Out.

Hell, the In Your House where the power went out, Beware of Dog, is a better show.

Souled Out's biggest competition is something like Triplemania.

Yeesh...I don't even remember the PPV, but yikes...that sounds bad.

Sephzilla

Friends, Mario Maker is fucking crack. I can't put it down.

Sable sucks. Sable sucks so much. How can one person be so void of charisma.

Yeah, young teenager me totally understands why Sable was so popular. In hindsight though, Sunny and Trish Stratus were so much better than her in every way.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Friends, Mario Maker is fucking crack. I can't put it down.

Yeah, young teenager me totally understands why Sable was so popular. In hindsight though, Sunny and Trish Stratus were so much better than her in every way.

Literally the only woman on the roster I would take Sable over is BB, and that goes from 1995-2001. She's awful.

Sable apparently had a second run that's much better.

That moment with Edge could have been a great moment to switch him into total ruthless heel mode from the softly softly chickenshit heel stuff he'd been doing. Sure you'd probably have to write him off TV for like, 3 months or more to get him back into a face redemption position (if you wanted it to be good...) but man would it be better than it is now.

Fire all the writers.

Yeah I was hoping it would go dark but oh well :(

dream

I know you guys get mad at me when I gleefully look forward to wrestlers' deaths, but will anyone really be upset when Sabu is found unresponsive in a Mobile, Alabama motel room?

RP912

Banned
Edge was last of a dying breed when it comes down to being a heel. Dude was like the Joker of the WWE at one point. He can be a chickenshit, but will beat your ass viciously. I remember when Vicki had him fight the Undertaker and he went back to his Rated R Superstar roots to size up Taker. Rollins is a good performer, but as some suggested in this thread...the flippy indy shit kills his heel credibility. There is no reasoning to why he does it and it's just plain weird. You are running away from Cena, but you damn near destroy him at Summerslam. There's no rhyme or reason to why he put on a HBK caliber performance except....Rollins.

At least with Edge, it's believable because he's the Rated R Superstar. So you will expect him wearing a motorcycle helmet and spearing Cena threw a table so RVD can win the belt. You can expect him to cash in MITB after Cena went through hell in the Elimination Chamber because he's an asshole.

RP912

Banned
I know you guys get mad at me when I gleefully look forward to wrestlers' deaths, but will anyone really be upset when Sabu is found unresponsive in a Mobile, Alabama motel room?

Yes.

Despite the justified shit he receives...Sabu is still one of my favorite wrestlers of all time.

dream

Yes.

Despite the justified shit he receives...Sabu is still one of my favorite wrestlers of all time.

May I ask for a single example of something that Sabu has done in his entire career that contributed to him being one of your all-time favorites?

RP912

Banned
May I ask for a single example of something that Sabu has done in his entire career that contributed to him being one of your all-time favorites?

Of course.

When I was younger, I got tired of seeing the same boring type of matches involving basic moves and one top rope maneuver. Sabu did something that was unique for its time and that's become a daredevil in his matches. I never seen a man do different variations of dives and flips in matches.

I know you said a single example, but I want to include the fact that he had a mysterious persona that no wrestler can duplicate imo...

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
NxRPxkM.png

Josh Matthew posted the nude using Kevin Nash's phone just like the time Kevin Nash texted himself to powerbomb Punk with HHH's phone.
hFKgazS.png

Gonzalez

Banned
I do find it funny that Lance Storm hates Russo because Russo is the only person who pushed Lance Storm. There was a time when Lance had a heavyweight title shot and it almost seemed plausible thath e might win it.

And I don't know why he did because Lance was fucking boredom incarnate.
Push, or no push, it doesn't help that Russo, and other factors cost a ton of people their jobs. Also fucked up the potential bigger pay days that guys like Lance could have earned with WCW still around.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The proudly patriotic Lance Storm was great. Why wouldn't someone like him, who in the ring and in interviews that treats it all as a serious competition, not want to take pride in what he thinks made him great enough to win those championships in the first place?

That and the joke that just a year prior WCW would have spent thousands making all new belts, but at that point all they could really do was some Canadian stickers.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oh my God, I can't believe Harlem Heat worked their match against Buff & Norton(nWo) as heels because at the last years Sturgis show they were booed because you know... They're black. Apparently the crowd at Sturgis didn't get the memo from last years show because instead giving a "Bizarro World" reaction, they actually cheered the Harlem Heat.

Edge was last of a dying breed when it comes down to being a heel. Dude was like the Joker of the WWE at one point. He can be a chickenshit, but will beat your ass viciously. I remember when Vicki had him fight the Undertaker and he went back to his Rated R Superstar roots to size up Taker. Rollins is a good performer, but as some suggested in this thread...the flippy indy shit kills his heel credibility. There is no reasoning to why he does it and it's just plain weird. You are running away from Cena, but you damn near destroy him at Summerslam. There's no rhyme or reason to why he put on a HBK caliber performance except....Rollins.

At least with Edge, it's believable because he's the Rated R Superstar. So you will expect him wearing a motorcycle helmet and spearing Cena threw a table so RVD can win the belt. You can expect him to cash in MITB after Cena went through hell in the Elimination Chamber because he's an asshole.

La Familia was fucking garbage though.

Push, or no push, it doesn't help that Russo, and other factors cost a ton of people their jobs. Also fucked up the potential bigger pay days that guys like Lance could have earned with WCW still around.

Vince Russo had literally nothing at all to do with the death of WCW. WCW was a lost cause 6 months before he came in, ratings went UP when he showed up, and the decision to take WCW off TV was going to happen regardless of who was booking.

Top Bottom