• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

I think a wise choice if they were to give Finn Balor a call-up is to completely work against what he built in NXT - make him a cruel, shitty heel. God knows he's capable of it. I think going far and away from what he built in NXT is a key point to a successful transition to the main roster, and forces ALL fans to look at him differently for the "first time" so to speak.

They did Balor/Joe vs Lucha Dragons for the Dusty Crockett Cup in front of a Smackdown crowd and he was 100% a different dude all together. Came out with a leather jacket, being a cocky little shit, didn't do any of the interpretive dance until he got to the ring, didn't wrestle like an asshole. It was fascinating. Joe, too, actually. That was essentially them showing up for the "first time" in front of that kind of crowd and both were more engaging than they've ever been in NXT.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
it's because there's a house show in Montreal on friday, there's a huge buzz around it in town here seriously. Kevin Owens was mentionned a couple of times by traditionnal medias which is incredible

also it's just a sweet ass shirt

A house show? And they made a shirt for it? Weeeeird.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They did Balor/Joe vs Lucha Dragons for the Dusty Crockett Cup in front of a Smackdown crowd and he was 100% a different dude all together. Came out with a leather jacket, being a cocky little shit, didn't do any of the interpretive dance until he got to the ring, didn't wrestle like an asshole. It was fascinating. Joe, too, actually. That was essentially them showing up for the "first time" in front of that kind of crowd and both were more engaging than they've ever been in NXT.

That's great. Glad to hear this is happening. I've been slacking on my NXT watching. Sounds like a good way to distance Balor, usually heels leave in heel mode.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
House shows are stupid fun, I love em. No ties to storyline, enjoy yourself. I love em.

imBask

Banned
I went to a couple when I was younger, never liked it... i'll never miss a RAW or a PPV (if we ever get one again), those are always fun no matter what knowing that my city always has a good crowd.

Am i suppose to hate or like Hunter and Steph?

Them dancing with New Day makes me like them

Them screwing Charlotte makes me hate them

Them parading that Connor kid makes me like them

Them setting up matches that please Seth Rollins (heel) makes me hate them

I dont get it. Are we suppose to pretend they have a heel gimmick and their nice real life persona? So basically 2 gimmicks?

Their gimmick is "whatever is best for business", so they can float back and forth when needed/wanted. It's actually pretty ingenious. They've written the characters to allow basically any kind of story through them on any given show. Not that the DO use it for many different stories, but they have the option to be raging heels or benevolent bosses whenever they choose and have it make enough sense for wrasslin.

A house show? And they made a shirt for it? Weeeeird.

They do it for a lot of their shows now. I think our last Raw was "Bret Hart appreciation night" and they had a special shirt printed up for it. This house show I went to on the weekend had autographed Cesaro/Kidd shirts (largely I believe because they wanted to kill off their remaining stock of them and saw Calgary as a good opportunity to move some shit).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They do it for a lot of their shows now. I think our last Raw was "Bret Hart appreciation night" and they had a special shirt printed up for it. This house show I went to on the weekend had autographed Cesaro/Kidd shirts (largely I believe because they wanted to kill off their remaining stock of them and saw Calgary as a good opportunity to move some shit).

That's super cool. I bet Calgary and Canada in general warrant making those.

Tulsa, OK? Not so much.

klonere

Banned

Yup I dunno if was the different lighting or the big stadium feel or the Jacket but it was different and 100% better than whatever else he has done so far

DMczaf

Sounds like they are experimenting with Balor to see which character he will be brought up with so he doesn't bomb out like other NXT characters.

WWE actually doing something smart....wtf.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like they are experimenting with Balor to see which character he will be brought up with so he doesn't bomb out like other NXT characters.

WWE actually doing something smart....wtf.

That plus they NEED to get away from the Demon stuff ASAP so it can be fresh for Mania only, or ending of huge feuds, as opposed to every night.

He's gotta work amazing every week, week in week out, without it. This should help.

DMczaf

That plus they NEED to get away from the Demon stuff ASAP so it can be fresh for Mania only, or ending of huge feuds, as opposed to every night.

He's gotta work amazing every week, week in week out, without it. This should help.

It also seems like they know they have something special and can't fuck this one up.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It also seems like they know they have something special and can't fuck this one up.

And he really is. I have high hopes he can be one of the greatest money makers and merch movers, and they need to get moving with it quick. He's not a young kid.

Hex

Banned

I dont get it. Are we suppose to pretend they have a heel gimmick and their nice real life persona? So basically 2 gimmicks?

They didn't screw Charlotte.
They did what they had to and enforced the rules, they actually helped Charlotte by making the special stipulation for Sunday.
Also, to be honest their matches to please Rollins have been double edged 99% of the time.

DMczaf

Same thing with Bayley. She could be the female Hogan/Cena if they book her right. She has that connection to little girls that Cena has with little boys.

#NotPedo

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just judge Hunter and Steph for what they're doing at the moment. Don't let baggage keep you from enjoying them or hating them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Same thing with Bayley. She could be the female Hogan/Cena if they book her right. She has that connection to little girls that Cena has with little boys.

#NotPedo

She's going to be a Make-A-Wish all-star. She's got "it" - really easy to love her actions and invest in her. She's going to be hugely successful. The headbands are gonna sell like hot cakes.

Love or hate them, you have to respect the Authority MAGGLE.

Ithil

not a big deal but why does Xavier use his Austin Creed name on his YT channel?

They all use nicknames on the gaming channel for whatever reason. Most of them are using pre-WWE names like Xavier, or Neville being PAC, Kalisto being Samurai Del Sol, etc. Big E is Big Wool, because
HE'S A BIG SWEATER

I guess it's to make the gaming channel more distinct and separate from the WWE channel.

imBask

Banned
outside of my usual trolling, I really don't see how you guys can imagine Bayley as the next Hogan/Cena

she's really not that good
she's outclassed by a bunch of divas in the current roster on every level
i'm so confused
help

#ThankYouBootaaay

keep rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin' (come on)
keep rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin' (yeah)
keep rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin'
now i know y'all be lov'in this shit right here
m.i.n.i. minions is right here people in the house put them hands in the air
'cause if you don't care, then we don't care 1, 2, 3
times two to the six, jonesin' for your fix of that minions mix so
where the fuck you at Punk, shut the fuck up and back the fuck up

Challenging CM Punk in this shout-out to Minions is a strong move for the WWE in preparations for WrestleMania 32.

pack it in, I'm not sure we're going to get a better #ThankYouBootaaay than this

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
John Cena AND Sting make a cancer survivor happy after Raw goes off the air :~)

http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/2015/09/john-cena-and-sting-greet-cancer-survivor-after-raw-video/

Oh man, get your tissues ready, because this is emotional.

Last night’s episode of WWE Raw ended with Sting making his in-ring Raw debut, teaming up with John Cena to defeat WWE World Heavyweight Champion Seth Rollins and The Big Show. The best moment, however, came after Raw went off the air.

Cena and Sting pointed out a very special kid in the crowd: Kiara Grindrod, a 7-year-old little girl who beat cancer. If Cena’s speech, him going out into the crowd to hug her or Sting giving her one of his gloves (oh man), doesn’t get you, the reaction from the crowd will. The “yes” chants were good, but the “this is awesome” is perfect. This is awesome.

It’s always good to remind yourself that the performers you cheer and boo in a wrestling ring for doing dumb wrestling stuff are so important to people, and have such a reach that it makes moments like this possible. I like that the crowd gets it, too, and understands the difference between the John Cena you might want to boo, and the John Cena who sincerely cares about little kids and deserves all the damn praise in the world. Beautiful stuff.

Awesome video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P4fKTJtc5g

dakun

lefthangin.0.gif

omg that is funny

NoRéN

outside of my usual trolling, I really don't see how you guys can imagine Bayley as the next Hogan/Cena

i'm so confused
help

Can you name them because I'm at a loss.

Mahonay

Banned
My review of the "season premiere" of RAW.

Yellow middle ring rope for NXT. Nice.

HHH "dancing" with The New Day was funnier than I thought it would be.
Titus O'Neil is over as fuck. I continue to be a fan of Darren Young's fire in the ring lately.

Paige vs Sasha in an ok but short nothing match. Crowd was kind of invested at least.

The Sting career highlights through out the night were a nice touch. Should have been done way wayyy before this, but it seems like WWE heard everyone's disappointment about the complete omission of his previous history as a wrestler.

Enjoyed the Wyatt and 2/3 Shield showdown. Not sure how I feel about the mystery partner angle though. Has to be someone huge if it's going to pay off.

Cena vs Sheamus. Solid match. Crowd was really into it.

What is going on with these Ryback promos? So bad. Owens coming out and shitting on The Secret was fantastic. I really hope he's not being fed to Ryback at NoC, please God. It's probably the other way around with the way Ryback is just walking through the motions.

Neville vs Stardust just never happens after Lucha Dragons clear out The Ascension at the start. Uh, what?

First ever Nilkki Bella vignette?? Character building??? Actual story telling?? IS THIS REAL?
Nikki vs Charlotte match has a good start. BRIE PLEASE SHUT FUCK UP. Crowd chants "Let's go Nikki, Nikki sucks"...she's finally become female Cena. Twin magic...WHY. At least the Bellas are actual heels now? I guess I'm happy an actual story with character motivations is being told. More than what I expected out of this. Even with a screwy finish it's the first interesting thing to happen in this Divas revolution storyline. Stephanie being constantly involved makes it really hard for me not to hate it though, just replace her with HHH and I'd be fine.

Cesaro vs Ziggler. Cesaro Section is most of the arena. Ziggler comes out with an apology gift for Summer. Year of the Distraction Roll Up continues, I love it Maggle! More story stuff which is good I guess.

End of show, which turned into a Sting/Cena vs Rollins/Show tag, was really dumb. These Teddy Long style impromptu tag matches every week are fucking dreadful. Main storyline is so uninteresting. Felt like the weakest part of the show.

Dear diary, RAW was...kind ok this week.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Forza 6, Mario Maker or Taken King? I feel all three, particularly the latter, will disappoint. Mario Maker launching at $60 hurts.

I bought TTK as an idiot would for PS4, double dipped. So I'm gonna start from scratch.

Forza 6 is a HELL of an improvement over 5, like, seriously. But it depends on how much you like dem races.

Mario Maker should show up in the mail today. I don't like to make shit. We'll see if there's enough enjoyable content in it without having to slog through ass.

imBask

Banned
NoRéN;178927832 said:
Can you name them because I'm at a loss.

Sasha, Paige, Charlotte (in-ring only), Natty, maybe Alexa and even Becky

I don't know, Bayley bores me to death she's like a less talented version of Daniel Bryan, overcoming the odds with her happyfunnywackywavablefinflatable attitudezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

oh and that finisher, god damn make it stop it's the worst

I just can't care about her at all, like zero, I feel literally nothing when she's on the screen.

Heroman

Banned
Forza 6, Mario Maker or Taken King? I feel all three, particularly the latter, will disappoint and I can't get burned again after the ass that is MGSV. Mario Maker launching at $60 hurts.

yeah it was pretty bad.
Mario maker is amazing, it is the only level creator that I had fun making levels.

i'm so confused
help

So, just like Hogan then.

Not that good in the ring? Check.
Outclassed by peers in the ring? Check.
Magnetic personality and able to get heat despite in ring shortcomings? Check.

imBask

Banned
well yeah since Destiny 1.0 was a decent game, I guess 2.0 might fix some of the problems!

i'm not getting it today though, too much MGS V to play

imBask

Banned
So, just like Hogan then.

Not that good in the ring? Check.
Outclassed by peers in the ring? Check.
Magnetic personality and able to get heat despite in ring shortcomings? Check.

I guess you're right in that sense, then again I still don't get the magnetic personality, when she's on the screen the only magnetic attraction I feel is the one away from the TV, in the other room

jmdajr

Their gimmick is "whatever is best for business", so they can float back and forth when needed/wanted. It's actually pretty ingenious. They've written the characters to allow basically any kind of story through them on any given show. Not that the DO use it for many different stories, but they have the option to be raging heels or benevolent bosses whenever they choose and have it make enough sense for wrasslin.

That's right

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I bought Mario Maker on release and played it a bunch that day but haven't felt any need to touch it since then. Which is kind of depressing because now the only thing I want to play on my Wii U is Xenoblade. Even Splatoon with the 50 level cap now has me like 'that's too much of a grind I don't want to do that'

I have zero interest in a MGS.

I don't know, Bayley bores me to death she's like a less talented version of Daniel Bryan, overcoming the odds with her happyfunnywackywavablefinflatable attitudezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I just can't care about her at all, like zero, I feel literally nothing when she's on the screen.

I mean, I hate to pull the Undertaker card, but as he supposedly said to Shawn Michaels, not everything's about us.

We're (well, some of you; I don't watch Raw or SmackDown) the sheep that keep watching. They don't have to cater to us too much; they just have to toss us a scrap every now and then. They have to, in theory, try harder for the kids, particularly girls. WWE's a publicly traded company, so they have to always show signs of growth. To grow, they have to go wider.

So, Bayley's not necessarily just for us. Bayley works with fans other than we sheep, and she doesn't turn us off so badly that we would make the environment hostile. We don't have to love Bayley without reservation; she just has to be good enough not to be shit on by the fans while she works to sell the brand to women and girls.

TL;DR
hbk-vs-undertaker-wm-25-highli-o.gif

Hex

Banned

Charlotte is not better in ring. She is very slow and stiff #Fact

Top Bottom