• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

Aiii

So not worth it
Stro's gone again? Go figure.

Finally got to use super ignore though, it wasn't ideal but certainly better than regular ignore.

Friends, should I save up and get a touchscreen laptop in like November, or get a cheap regular laptop or tablet in October on my next payday

My regular laptop has been giving me warning messages about its lack of storage memory for a year now and I've tried my best to lighten the load, but with work/school/etc mandating I do stuff that significantly strains it, I figure if I don't want it to die completely I should just give the thing a break and do half the stuff I do on it elsewhere.

Plus depending on if I can get the 1-TB laptop I've been eyeing, I'll finally be able to get through games on my Steam

Menome

Ask yourself: What would you actually do with the touchscreen after the first month of novelty has worn off?

If you can't come up with three good reasons based on the work/activities you're planning to do on there, save yourself the cash.

Ask yourself: What would you actually do with the touchscreen after the first month of novelty has worn off?

If you can't come up with three good reasons based on the work/activities you're planning to do on there, save yourself the cash.

The touchscreen is also the 1-TB. The cheaper options are only 500GB, which is what I'm currently on and have been struggling to maintain for the last year. The screen's a novelty I'll absolutely not like 2 months in, but it'll have twice as much memory for...$124-$154 more (there's a refurbished one that's cheaper, the cheapest option that's 500 gigs is also refurbished, and IDK much about technical stuff and am thus Wary about getting a cheap refurbished laptop I'd like to use a lot)

tm24

And I do want to check out the next AAA card. Fenix, Psycho and Rey? Texano sniffing the main event? Pentagon and Fantasma? Averno and Speedball? Yes please

Yeah, that card seems fun.

Also, a local newspaper talked to some luchadors about their stories and the guys went full kayfabe. It's great
Pentagon’s learned banned martial arts moves from Indonesia, Malaysia, and China, Fenix is a scholar of ancient civilizations and got the name from a trip to Egypt and Psycho Clown got his idea for character from when he was five and saw a family member was gunned down by assailants wearing clown masks who were never captured, so he decided to use the same sort of mask to defend the innocent when the law is unable. WHAT.

Entropia

No One Remembers
3myB7OQ.gif

I just noticed the old teamsters in the background, like "WTF?"

Trokil

Banned
I used to watch wrestling as a teen during the time of Mr. Perfect and Bret Hart and I started watching it again because of the Daily Show. There are some things I would like to know, maybe someone can answer it for me.

Why this John Cena hate? He seems like a great wrestler. I watched the Cesaro, Kevin Owens fights and other stuff he did. Yes, I understand he is a little boring, but unlike some other fights I saw, he is a really good wrestler, if he gets an equal opponent in the ring.

Do some guys in the WWF often get random superpowers like Big Shows KO punch. If he can knock out any wrestler with one punch, how is he not champion yet and why did he not use that before?

Why are the divas looking like strippers in show about sports entertainment for the whole family. I would get it, if it was like the GLOW used to be, but this somehow all feels totally out of place. Most of them are not even good wrestlers, but still it is promoted like hell.

Why do the use so much nostalgia. They have great and very entertaining wrestlers right now. Cesaro, the new Day, Dean Ambrose, and many more, but Sting is now the main event. Really? Who's next, are Diesel or Shawn Michaels coming back.

Kaiterra

Banned
Why this John Cena hate? He seems like a great wrestler. I watched the Cesaro, Kevin Owens fights and other stuff he did. Yes, I understand he is a little boring, but unlike some other fights I saw, he is a really good wrestler, if he gets an equal opponent in the ring.

His character can be a real dickhead sometimes, his wrestling ability is mostly really good but he sucks at selling because he's superhuman IRL and he basically had a death grip on the starring role in the company since Triple H moved out of that position, including some pretty terrible feuds and ones he's won way too decisively.

Do some guys in the WWF often get random superpowers like Big Shows KO punch. If he can knock out any wrestler with one punch, how is he not champion yet and why did he not use that before?

He has been champ before, in 1999 and 2002. He's also been Intercontinental, US and Tag Team champion. As for why he doesn't just throw the punch and win every time, I guess he needs to build his Super Meter. It's kind of dumb but one of those things you just kind of come to accept I guess.

Why are the divas looking like strippers in show about sports entertainment for the whole family. I would get it, if it was like the GLOW used to be, but this somehow all feels totally out of place. Most of them are not even good wrestlers, but still it is promoted like hell.

That's a tough question to answer without being backstage. I'd love to have more variety in the ladies' looks. Believe it or not it was way worse in this regard not even that long ago though. We've kind of been in a transition period from an era where women's wrestling was pretty much just for leering at to where it's being taken seriously.

Why do the use so much nostalgia. They have great and very entertaining wrestlers right now. Cesaro, the new Day, Dean Ambrose, and many more, but Sting is now the main event. Really? Who's next, are Diesel or Shawn Michaels coming back.

I don't think they have faith in a lot of the newer talents to prove themselves. The New Day only broke out big because of a fluke, pretty much, for example. But despite Sting in the main event and Kane and Undertaker still doing their thing in 2015, they really have been rebuilding the roster and moving things forward over the past few years in a way that they had not been previously.

Aiii

So not worth it
I used to watch wrestling as a teen during the time of Mr. Perfect and Bret Hart and I started watching it again because of the Daily Show. There are some things I would like to know, maybe someone can answer it for me.

He's a good wrestler and you've caught him in the best year of his career, to be honest. The thing with Cena is that he's been booked to never lose for just about a decade. He'd have 20-minute matches where everyone and everything would kill him and then make a 5-move comeback (known as the Five Moves Of Doom) and win the match. Continuously, over and over. Very few people would beat him and even fewer would beat him without some kind of shenanigans. It got stale and boring and that's what caused a backlash to him as WWE continued to use him as the poster boy and advertise him as the best wrestler ever.

But as you said, right now he's doing great and the crowd response is much better. The booing and Cena Sucks chants are mostly out of custom now.

Yes, some guys have finishing moves like that, RKO OUTTA NOWHERE, stuff like that. And that's what a finisher should be, but the current trend in wrestling is called "finisher spam" where matches will often see guys hit their finishers on eachother time and time again without getting the pinfall. It's an easy way to cheap pop a crowd and make a match feel like its big-time, but it has huge diminishing effects when done too often (as they do now) and it makes your finisher look weaker, as its no longer guaranteed to actually end the match.

Ronda Rousey and other women's accomplishments in sports along with a backlash from the fans (eye candy and 3-minute matches are literally what the women have been for the past 30 years in WWE) in the past year have caused WWE to put a new focus on women's wrestling. They want to portray them more seriously, which is why they are getting so much exposure at the moment. The problems you point out stems from women being portrayed this way by WWE forever (along with calling them Divas), and they don't quite understand that women should be portrayed in a more serious manner.

Though, to be fair, wrestling is as much about looks as it is athletics, for both men and women. Add to that the most viewers are still male and they're pandering to that audience. However, wrestlers pretty much buy and create their own ring gear, so we can't blame WWE entirely for women dressing the way they choose to do.

Ratings are dropping and the older wrestlers pop ratings and get them Network buys. This is a problem with WWE booking, they are very bad at creating new stars, mostly due to the fact that they over-expose their wrestlers (they have 5 hours of weekly TV and a PPV every month) and have wrestlers constantly lose matches against eachother. Most wrestlers have a win-loss record that's pretty much 50% for either side, which makes them look like midcard guys (Dave Meltzer did a write-up that was posted in this thread a few days ago, that pretty much explained this in detail) and as such makes them very ineffective in generating money for the company. Sting, however, is an attraction and will do that, so that's why they use him. It's all about getting those Network buys.

Trokil

Banned
He's a good wrestler and you've caught him in the best year of his career, to be honest. The thing with Cena is that he's been booked to never lose for just about a decade. He'd have 20-minute matches where everyone and everything would kill him and then make a 5-move comeback (known as the Five Moves Of Doom) and win the match. Continuously, over and over. Very few people would beat him and even fewer would beat him without some kind of shenanigans. It got stale and boring and that's what caused a backlash to him as WWE continued to use him as the poster boy and advertise him as the best wrestler ever.

But as you said, right now he's doing great and the crowd response is much better. The booing and Cena Sucks chants are mostly out of custom now.

Ok, I did not know that. This makes sense. The matches I saw he were great, the Russev feud, the Kevon Owens matches and the Raw fights against Cesaro where all very, very entertaining, that's why I was surprised.

But I also saw his dickhead attitude towards Stewart, so I get that as well what Kaiterra was saying.

Yes, some guys have finishing moves like that, RKO OUTTA NOWHERE, stuff like that. And that's what a finisher should be, but the current trend in wrestling is called "finisher spam" where matches will often see guys hit their finishers on eachother time and time again without getting the pinfall. It's an easy way to cheap pop a crowd and make a match feel like its big-time, but it has huge diminishing effects when done too often (as they do now) and it makes your finisher look weaker, as its no longer guaranteed to actually end the match.

The Kevin Owens Cena fight was a "finisher spam" fight, but I liked it very, very much. It felt really intense and it was more entertaining than a KO punch out of nowhere. Yes, I know you have to have certain entertainment factor, but some finishers like Big Shows are just too random. It's ok, if it is not all logical, but some stuff just feel lame and Big Show somehow does feel boring. Maybe he is too old for his size already to have long creative matches, so he has to have a gimmick like this. But compared to more interesting matches, it feels not right.

Ronda Rousey and other women's accomplishments in sports along with a backlash from the fans (eye candy and 3-minute matches are literally what the women have been for the past 30 years in WWE) in the past year have caused WWE to put a new focus on women's wrestling. They want to portray them more seriously, which is why they are getting so much exposure at the moment. The problems you point out stems from women being portrayed this way by WWE forever (along with calling them Divas), and they don't quite understand that women should be portrayed in a more serious manner.

Yes, but Ronda Rousey has some kind of personality. Most of the divas have none at all. Ok, this sound may sound terrible, but the only thing I am getting is different levels of bitchy. Not entertaining, not funny, not interesting. Flairs daughter is not interesting, Paige is not interesting and the Bellas, dear god what's that all about.

Though, to be fair, wrestling is as much about looks as it is athletics, for both men and women. Add to that the most viewers are still male and they're pandering to that audience. However, wrestlers pretty much buy and create their own ring gear, so we can't blame WWE entirely for women dressing the way they choose to do.

Women can have personality, can be interesting and they don't have to be all waring stripper outfits. Neither do the men. Of course there are some, but for example Kevin Owens is a great wrestler and has a personality even with his not perfect body shape. The divas on the other hand have neither. But maybe I missed just too much.

Ratings are dropping and the older wrestlers pop ratings and get them Network buys. This is a problem with WWE booking, they are very bad at creating new stars, mostly due to the fact that they over-expose their wrestlers (they have 5 hours of weekly TV and a PPV every month) and have wrestlers constantly lose matches against eachother. Most wrestlers have a win-loss record that's pretty much 50% for either side, which makes them look like midcard guys (Dave Meltzer did a write-up that was posted in this thread a few days ago, that pretty much explained this in detail) and as such makes them very ineffective in generating money for the company. Sting, however, is an attraction and will do that, so that's why they use him. It's all about getting those Network buys.

But they also could just increase the storyline or make stuff more interesting. Russev vs. Cena was going on for a long time, but he still managed to thrill everybody when he entered in a f&ç%ing tank. The new Day for example can be pretty creative as well, why don't you let people get more interesting like them. Getting back the old stars just seems lazy. But ok, I understand the system and the PPV are actually really bad for my taste. While I was a teen, there where title changes in regular shows, know it never happens outside the PPVs.

Kaiterra

Banned
Yes, but Ronda Rousey has some kind of personality. Most of the divas have none at all. Ok, this sound may sound terrible, but the only thing I am getting is different levels of bitchy. Not entertaining, not funny, not interesting. Flairs daughter is not interesting, Paige is not interesting and the Bellas, dear god what's that all about.

I don't think your observation is unfair or wrong. In fact I think it's something they have been doing on purpose for a while now and even while trying to move forward they can't help but default to it. The writing needs work big time.

Browny

Banned
Better writing.

More jobbers. Too many people have faced each other a dozen times in pointless matches. If you have two decent names, they should have a reason to be wrestling. Jobbers allow you to showcase talent without a need for a story at that time.

Unrelated: Definition of good suspense: everyone else in your household has had diarrhea in the past couple of days, except you.

YET.

Aiii

So not worth it
¡HarlequinPanic!;179232013 said:
bullshit that someone named 'trigger warning' isn't an alt.

in fact, you're all alts.

We're all alts of Pepsi, we're like the Matrix for Taylor Swift fans.

$34.95 for ROH's PPV tonight, anyone biting at that price? The card;

. ROH World Title: Jay Lethal (c) vs Kyle O'Reilly
. ROH TV Title: Jay Lethal (c) vs Bobby Fish
. Number One Contender's Match: Adam Cole vs Roderick Strong vs #BIGMIKE vs AJ Styles
. ROH World Tag Titles: The Addiction (c) vs The Young Bucks
. Open Challenge: The Briscoe Brothers vs ???
. Best of 5 Series - Match #3: ACH vs Matt Sydal
. No DQ Match: Cedric Alexander vs Moose
. Dalton Castle vs Silas Young

Not bad on paper, the no.1 contender's match looks like fun, not sure how those main events will play out though. Interested to see who faces the Briscoes, but not interested in the tag title match. The Addiction really aren't doing anything for me, they're just bland. I'll be watching the CMLL deal anyways, but I can't see myself paying $35 for a replay unless it proves to be something very special.

Am I the only one worried that if Sasha doesn't slow down she's gonna get seriously injured? She's clearly the future of the division, but I feel like she takes Daniel Bryan style risks with her body. I'm not sure who to blame for that German Suplex on Monday either.

Tacos is gone? It was Stro? Does this mean I can post my Mario Maker level without getting harassed?

$34.95 for ROH's PPV tonight, anyone biting at that price? The card;

. ROH World Title: Jay Lethal (c) vs Kyle O'Reilly
. ROH TV Title: Jay Lethal (c) vs Bobby Fish
. Number One Contender's Match: Adam Cole vs Roderick Strong vs #BIGMIKE vs AJ Styles
. ROH World Tag Titles: The Addiction (c) vs The Young Bucks
. Open Challenge: The Briscoe Brothers vs ???
. Best of 5 Series - Match #3: ACH vs Matt Sydal
. No DQ Match: Cedric Alexander vs Moose
. Dalton Castle vs Silas Young

Not bad on paper, the no.1 contender's match looks like fun, not sure how those main events will play out though. Interested to see who faces the Briscoes, but not interested in the tag title match. The Addiction really aren't doing anything for me, they're just bland. I'll be watching the CMLL deal anyways, but I can't see myself paying $35 for a replay unless it proves to be something very special.

I was thinking hard about it, but $35 USD is a bit much for an iPPV.

I think Young/Castle could be a lot of fun, but most of the juice is going to be the angles after, whether it's Young as a Boy or Castle looking for new Boys.

I think The Addiction are facing The Kingdom for the tag titles, which is even worse.

I'm guessing Fish wins and O'Reilly loses. People who say that O'Reilly should be the next ROH champ are insane.

Alucard

Banned
Fewer people will pay it, but ROH will still make money. It's all good, bros. Shrewd business practices.

Think about, even if only 500 people buy this iPPV, it's still $17,000+ in ROH's pocket.

Cagey

Banned
Stro's gone again? Go figure.

Finally got to use super ignore though, it wasn't ideal but certainly better than regular ignore.

The issue with super ignore is using it to the fullest extent has two problems. First, the "block threads started by user" slows down the page from loading considerably. Second, the "block posts quoting posts from posters you ignore" can eviscerate some threads when posters quote multiple others posters, one of whom you have on ignore, but you'd like to read the rest of that original person's post.

But then not using it keeps those posts around if they're quoted and then it can somewhat defeat the purpose.

Better than nothing, though.

Fewer people will pay it, but ROH will still make money. It's all good, bros. Shrewd business practices.

It's more about focussing on their TV viewer base, rather than the internet fans - there's no way it'd be as expensive if it wasn't on traditional PPV and $19.99's far easier to stomach for a card of that calibre.

Alucard

Banned
It's more about focussing on their TV viewer base, rather than the internet fans - there's no way it'd be as expensive if it wasn't on traditional PPV and $19.99's far easier to stomach for a card of that calibre.

I've accepted that ROH will always be where they are unless they get different management or someone takes them seriously.

Fox318

Am I the only one worried that if Sasha doesn't slow down she's gonna get seriously injured? She's clearly the future of the division, but I feel like she takes Daniel Bryan style risks with her body. I'm not sure who to blame for that German Suplex on Monday either.

I'd be more concerned with the schedule than anything else.

Honestly the core Women's competitors shouldn't wrestle more than twice a week for promotional purposes(preventing over exposure) and for health reasons.

For example from the 12th to the 15th of September she was in a match for tv and house shows.

They should do 1 tv match and 1 house show a week with time off to prepare a ppv match at the performance center.

I'd be more concerned with the schedule than anything else.

Honestly the core Women's competitors shouldn't wrestle more than twice a week for promotional purposes(preventing over exposure) and for health reasons.

For example from the 12th to the 15th of September she was in a match for tv and house shows.

They should do 1 tv match and 1 house show a week with time off to prepare a ppv match at the performance center.

Well, I mean, the schedule should be changed for everyone though.

Top Bottom