• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

Sephzilla

The Undertaker of New Generation was such a boring clod in and out of the ring just because of how they wanted his character(or lack of) working.

How I remember it was that it seemed like they were trying to keep Taker a big unstoppable monster face character but at the same time constantly try to find reasons for him to not go after the title belt.

Just like the finger poke of doom, I'll never understand the complaints about this. If you want to talk long-term ramifications because of a lack of an interesting follow-through storyline then sure. But the act itself? Who else was going to beat Goldberg? Hogan? The only other option I could think of is Steiner and Steiner wasn't ready for it then.

I think you have another mega face be the guy who ends Goldberg's streak. Probably Sting.

That way another face gets a major rub in the process, plus you can have him and Goldberg shake hands after the match and you can build the whole aftermath in a way that doesn't ruin the mystique of Goldberg. Like "oh look, it took FUCKING STING to beat Goldberg, every bad guy is still totally fucked"

Best Big Show matches
7MhmD.gif

SGe8z.gif

Big Show vs Mark Henry
QaPRIpb.gif

brock-hits-show-with-chair.gif

Big Show vs Brock Lesnar

good shiiiit.

WWE has secretly been having above average to great hoss matches for the past few years now.

Big E vs. Rusev had some great matches.

Fox318

Oh for sure, Diesel was basically Kevin Nash by that point. It was definitely the most seamless transition from WWF to WCW. Like it wouldn't have worked with shitty face Roman Reigns type face promos when he was the champion

The Undertaker of New Generation was such a boring clod in and out of the ring just because of how they wanted his character(or lack of) working.

Well part of the whole appeal of the Sting storyline is that it's a year long storyline. You would want to start with when he 'leaves' the company at the very least. And even then, you miss out on why Sting is so important to WCW.

Just like the finger poke of doom, I'll never understand the complaints about this. If you want to talk long-term ramifications because of a lack of an interesting follow-through storyline then sure. But the act itself? Who else was going to beat Goldberg? Hogan? The only other option I could think of is Steiner and Steiner wasn't ready for it then.

As long as people were still into Goldberg they had no reason to beat him the way that they did.

The idea that Goldberg had to be beat only makes sense if WCW was dying.

Its like saying Inoki has to lose.

bjork

I will never ever understand the love for Goldberg. And this is coming from someone who loved Warrior, but I was also like 11 during his first run.

Sephzilla

I will never ever understand the love for Goldberg. And this is coming from someone who loved Warrior, but I was also like 11 during his first run.

Goldberg is basically the definition of THE LOOK, plus while he had a limited moveset the handful of moves he did have looked really good (he still has the best spear ever, hands down) and he was actually smartly booked for a while

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As long as people were still into Goldberg they had no reason to beat him the way that they did.

The idea that Goldberg had to be beat only makes sense if WCW was dying.

Its like saying Inoki has to lose.

The whole reason they did it was because Goldberg's undefeated streak wasn't as over as it was before. He had the streak for well over a year and was featured every single week on said show. The 'way they beat him' made Goldberg look strong. It's not as if Nash pinned him clean. What more do you want? Some Hogan-esque booking where he squashes every member of the NWO before he's taken out by a poison syringe?

Sephzilla

Shit I wasn't even a "WCW guy" growing up and I'd still mark out if Goldberg would be a surprise Royal Rumble entrant. Could you imagine?

*BUZZ*

*Camera cuts to a shot of a locker room door, some security guy knocks on it*

Security: "You're up, lets go!"

*Goldberg walks out of the locker room*

Anth0ny

Shit I wasn't even a "WCW guy" growing up and I'd still mark out if Goldberg would be a surprise Royal Rumble entrant. Could you imagine?

*BUZZ*

*Camera cuts to a shot of a locker room door, some security guy knocks on it*

Security: "You're up, lets go!"

*Goldberg walks out of the locker room*

*shitty bootleg goldberg theme*

Austin is one thing, but Rock? Comes out to do a garbage promo and beat up some poor guy on the roster. Rusev should tear his muscles off the bone.

Fox318

The whole reason they did it was because Goldberg's undefeated streak wasn't as over as it was before. He had the streak for well over a year and was featured every single week on said show. The 'way they beat him' made Goldberg look strong. It's not as if Nash pinned him clean. What more do you want? Some Hogan-esque booking where he squashes every member of the NWO before he's taken out by a poison syringe?

• Triple threat match where Goldberg isn't pinned and Nash gets the belt. Goldberg chases redemption and the belt back.
  • Diamond Dallas Page getting the belt at a rematch of the Havoc match would have been good.
  • Goldberg losing clean in the ring to anyone and having a Wrestlemania 6 like moment.

bjork

• Triple threat match where Goldberg isn't pinned and Nash gets the belt. Goldberg chases redemption and the belt back.
  • Diamond Dallas Page getting the belt at a rematch of the Havoc match would have been good.
  • Goldberg losing clean in the ring to anyone and having a Wrestlemania 6 like moment.

lol

The whole idea of WM6 was Hogan passing the torch. Who is this green musclehead going to pass a torch to? And what torch, the torch of being undefeated? He already ate the entire roster.

Goldberg was Cena without the promos. Fuck Goldberg. Anyone can look good spearing dudes half their size. Go spear a middle-schooler and tell me I'm wrong.

:cue gifs of jackhammers on big men:

Sephzilla

Like I said last page, Goldberg's streak getting beaten clean by another big face is probably the best way his streak could have ended. You don't get any kind of shenanigans about it, another face gets a big rub, and the next time a heel is mouthing off and then Goldberg's music hits the crowd will still pop huge because that shitty heel is still fucked.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
thanks, looking forward to seeing it

It'll be a great match, I'm sure, but typical NJPW spoiled the build of the match long before it happened. Sugiura was already beaten multiple times by Suzuki's cronies and never treated as a big huge threat in their tag matches despite being the 2nd longest reigning GHC champion. He should have basically ran through Benjamin, Taka, Iizuka, etc. Like dude should have had a match where he just took Iizuka out and put him in the hospital with ease if they wanted to build it up.

My only assumption is that it was originally going to be Morishima in his spot.

Menome

I'm so glad it's not just me that feels the Ultimate Warrior statue's face is a bit off.

I mean...it obviously is, but it's that situation of who's going to be the first person to say that the tribute to a well-loved entertainer is a bit shit.

I'm so glad it's not just me that feels the Ultimate Warrior statue's face is a bit off.

I mean...it obviously is, but it's that situation of who's going to be the first person to say that the tribute to a well-loved entertainer is a bit shit.

well-loved?

I mean... I guess?

Fox318

I wouldn't go that far.

bjork

Should've been his wife, I would imagine she had some say in the final design.

But it's kind of ugly and that matches his legacy, even if he did attempt to mend fences at the end.

Always believe,
(/v\)

miserable

It'll be a great match, I'm sure, but typical NJPW spoiled the build of the match long before it happened. Sugiura was already beaten multiple times by Suzuki's cronies and never treated as a big huge threat in their tag matches despite being the 2nd longest reigning GHC champion. He should have basically ran through Benjamin, Taka, Iizuka, etc. Like dude should have had a match where he just took Iizuka out and put him in the hospital with ease if they wanted to build it up.

My only assumption is that it was originally going to be Morishima in his spot.

i don't follow NOAH, only watched the GHC heavyweight matches this year so i'm not familiar with the situation there, but what's the reason Jado is head booker there?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
i don't follow NOAH, only watched the GHC heavyweight matches this year so i'm not familiar with the situation there, but what's the reason Jado is head booker there?
Bushiroad bought shares of NOAH. Bushiroad also owns NJPW so they sent Jado to help book it because insane people think NJPW has great booking and not just a lot of amazing main eventers.

Because they don't have any money and Marufuji isn't the star they wanted and KENTA/Itami leaving left them in a really bad spot. Their strongest division is their juniors division which has gotten booked far worse when Jado arrived. I enjoyed watching the promotion before the Suzuki-gun invasion happened which is a retread of the Bullet Club invasion which Jado & Gedo suck at booking(Dragon Gate does a much better example of faction warfare if you want an example). The only things I've looked forward to is individual matches rather than full cards and most of them haven't gotten the time they deserve(Harada vs Suzuki) where as Iizuka, the worst wrestler in all of Japan and the guy who got carried by Yano of all people, has gotten several lengthy appearances and major weekly feuds.

Basically NOAH's glory days have been long gone and they don't have much of a roster outside of their juniors who are getting the shaft while Taichi, the worst NJPW junior, has the jr title.

posting gifs of hbo shows now?

RIP stro, we miss you

and shout out to that most memorable night when somebody had the wire spoiled for them

Top Bottom