• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Superkick's been 'done dirty' for much longer than the past few years. Shit was a joke during the Invasion when all the WCW and ECW guys had it as their finisher. And since they were WCW and ECW guys, they barely beat anyone with it

Vestal

I think a bigger issue is that Wrestlers don't appear to protect each others moveset as much.

Just an example from last night. Cena has always been billed as super strong, and how getting hit my a splash and then picking someone up from the ground and putting them on his shoulders was some sort of SUPER feat. Well Rollins, a much smaller man did the same thing to cena last night. It kills the mystique of the whole thing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Superkick's been 'done dirty' for much longer than the past few years. Shit was a joke during the Invasion when all the WCW and ECW guys had it as their finisher. And since they were WCW and ECW guys, they barely beat anyone with it

Right but back then it was a shitty finisher. Now a days in the right tag match you could see thirty of them, with people kicking out at one or even no-selling them.

klonere

Banned
Once Neville, fucking NEVILLE, the dude in the kidz pre-show fun for all paintjob 6 man tag last night got the okay to kick out of the AA during a Raw match it was all over. Kicking out of the AA should mean something. But Owens/Cena killed that move along with everything else in their arsenals.

Nothing means anything.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think a bigger issue is that Wrestlers don't appear to protect each others moveset as much.

Just an example from last night. Cena has always been billed as super strong, and how getting hit my a splash and then picking someone up from the ground and putting them on his shoulders was some sort of SUPER feat. Well Rollins, a much smaller man did the same thing to cena last night. It kills the mystique of the whole thing.

This is a big problem with Rollin's booking.

Cena is booked as superhumanly strong. So are Ryback/Big E/Stroman/Cesaro.

Rollins should be booked that way, but it fucks with his cowardly presentation. Though not that much really as later WWE Eddie was also booked as being really fucking strong and a coward.

Vestal

In all seriousness what if any finisher is left out there that is still protected?

The only one I can come up with, is the RKO. It seems to be protected more than most, and maybe Big Shows KO Punch. DBrys Knee?

Everything has been crossfucked to oblivion.

klonere

Banned
We are also now seeing superkicks from wrestlers who really shouldn't be doing them. Why the fuck does Luke Harper do one?

Harper's superkick looks like a jaw breaking, death dealing power spot. I think its fine he uses it.

Now Rusev's superkick, for all our praise of him, doesn't look all that great. Or KOs.

Sephzilla

In all seriousness what if any finisher is left out there that is still protected?

The only one I can come up with, is the RKO. It seems to be protected more than most, and maybe Big Shows KO Punch. DBrys Knee?

Everything is as been crossfucked to oblivion.

Big Show's KO punch is still protected for whatever fucking reason.

NXT does a much better job of protecting people's finishers usually, at least compared to WWE.

Harper's superkick looks like a jaw breaking, death dealing power spot. I think its fine he uses it.

Now Rusev's superkick, for all our praise of him, doesn't look all that great. Or KOs.

My wrestling headcanon says superkicks should be done by smaller guys or guys who come across as more technical wrestlers. Harper is built up as a big strong dude who has a clothes line that takes your head off. He shouldn't be doing superkicks or suicide dives.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Rack Attack.

Fox318

Once Neville, fucking NEVILLE, the dude in the kidz pre-show fun for all paintjob 6 man tag last night got the okay to kick out of the AA during a Raw match it was all over. Kicking out of the AA should mean something. But Owens/Cena killed that move along with everything else in their arsenals.

Nothing means anything.

Nothing means nothing man

Also Macho would never exsist in the modern WWE.

Looking at the camera
wearing sunglasses
improvising
not using buzzwords
not putting over Steph and HHH

That's cause Shawn sets it up, and that kick looks fantastic. Also we can count the number of times someone has kicked out of it.

It's almost as if storytelling is important in professional wrestling

flair1.jpg

Vestal

Btw.. Quick question for more International Wrestlegaf.. Does anyone use the Razors Edge?

I was listening to the SCSA Podcast with Hall, and was surprised to find out that Scott actually came up with that move....

Also was very surprised to find out how Jake Roberts came up with the DDT(by accident), and how he used to practice it(Pillow and mirror) .

klonere

Banned

Off the top of my head these are the most protected moves as of right now.

Red Arrow: Zero kick outs
Pedigree: Zero kick outs (I like to think it's being saved for Rollins to kick out of)
Sister Abigail: Cena kicked out once I think
Reigns Spear: Zero kick outs (maybe Brock did, idk)
Shellshock: Zero kick outs (Cena probably did during their feud but that was before my time)

That's all I can think of right now. I don't count Shows punch because fuck that noise.

Sephzilla

Btw.. Quick question for more International Wrestlegaf.. Does anyone use the Razors Edge?

I was listening to the SCSA Podcast with Hall, and was surprised to find out that Scott actually came up with that move....

Also was very surprised to find out how Jake Roberts came up with the DDT(by accident), and how he used to practice it(Pillow and mirror) .

Shaemus used to use the Razor's Edge (called it the Celtic Cross) but I haven't see him use that in a long time. I'd like to see someone use that as a finisher, I always liked the move.

Vestal

Off the top of my head these are the most protected moves as of right now.

Red Arrow: Zero kick outs
Pedigree: Zero kick outs
Sister Abigail: Cena kicked out once I think
Reigns Spear: Zero kick outs (maybe Brock did, idk)
Shellshock: Zero kick outs (Cena probably did during their feud but that was before my time)

That's all I can think of right now. I don't count Shows punch because fuck that noise.

You are limiting pedigree from Rollins right?

Bull hammer elbow is protected

A crucifix powerbomb? Yeah a few. Sheamus used it for awhile, and Hernandez frequently murders people with it because fuck Hernandez.

Sephzilla

Since the Razor's Edge got brought up, I have to say that I think Razor/Scott Hall is kind of quietly pretty high up on my list of favorite wrestlers. I loved his finisher and the guy had a ton of natural charisma.

razor-ramon05.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, thinking about it, losing Punk is a real shame. So much talent I would love to see work a program with him, now.

Vestal

Since the Razor's Edge got brought up, I have to say that I think Razor/Scott Hall is kind of quietly pretty high up on my list of favorite wrestlers. I loved his finisher and the guy had a ton of natural charisma.

razor-ramon05.jpg

Why Quietly? I mean the guy was a blast to see. A tall guy, who can work, can sell and is gold on the mic.

Sephzilla

Why Quietly? I mean the guy was a blast to see. A tall guy, who can work, can sell and is gold on the mic.

It's just that people like Hogan, Austin, Rock, Cena, Flair, Bret Hart, Taker, and so on will almost always pop up as people's GOAT. I think some people would object to the idea that Hall might be better than some of them

Man, thinking about it, losing Punk is a real shame. So much talent I would love to see work a program with him, now.

Punk, when he actually gave a shit, was fucking gold. I think he'd still be with WWE if they would have actually let him main event Mania while he was champ :/

Vestal

It's just that people like Hogan, Austin, Rock, Cena, Flair, Bret Hart, Taker, and so on will almost always pop up as people's GOAT. I think some people would object to the idea that Hall might be better than some of them

I personally put Scott Hall up in a separate special section of Wrestling Lore.

Scott Hall
Curt Henning
Arn Anderson
Rick Rude
Steamboat
Windham

These guys were cream of the crop performers that while not mentioned in the "Pop Culture" Wrestling Greats, should be considered as such.

Fox318

Regardless of who is at fault I think it really speaks to Vince that he can't keep talent around anymore.

I think after Brock left the first time he is petrified of putting somebody in a good spot.

Unless you are a complete yes man like Cena you won't get the chances to shine like older guys did.

Batista
Punk
Rock
Lesnar

All really left because of the crazy house show schedule and Vince doesn't pay guys in the same way WCW did 20 years ago.

Any organization needs to deal with problem employees and create an environment where they can best work and make money.

Look at Jon Jones. UFC game him every single chance and worked with him because it was best for business. Assuming everything Punk said is true if they just gave him some time off or paid him the money or redid his merch to the cena main event levels.

Wouldn't the best thing for WWE to do with Punk is give him a break the same way Orton wants time off today?

The organization is being hamstring on Vince's borderline insane work ethic. Dude hasn't had a vacation in 31 years now.

You'd be hard pressed to find any other people in business successful like that. Plus outside of Jobs and maybe Howard Hughes micromanagers don't manage scale to giant national corps.

I honestly believe that if Wrestling had a traditional month off or even a 1 month off season it would reinvigorate the talent, create hype in new angles and ending angles, and it would give creative time to absorb culture and feel out what type of angles could work.

Can't believe they wasted a spot on Jericho. Then the ending to it was even more stupid. R Truth or anyone else on the roster would of been a better use.

Fox318

Can't believe they wasted a spot on Jericho. Then the ending to it was even more stupid. R Truth or anyone else on the roster would of been a better use.

They needed somebody who could handle the loss while being a creditable performer.

Those spots with Stroman looking like a monster was the entire point of that match. Its to build him up for a babyface (most likley Reigns or Cena if they get chicken)

Y2J was a smart choice for that the issue is it wasn't really a PPV match or an entertaining angle.

imBask

Banned
They needed somebody who could handle the loss while being a creditable performer.

Those spots with Stroman looking like a monster was the entire point of that match. Its to build him up for a babyface (most likley Reigns or Cena if they get chicken)

Y2J was a smart choice for that the issue is it wasn't really a PPV match or an entertaining angle.

they're totally gonna push this feud until Survivor Series so brace yourself

If a certain move clashes with someones general wrestling style or character, they shouldn't be doing it. Like, imagine if Big Show started doing a goddamn Figure Four.

That would be an effective move for someone with huge, powerful, some would say tree trunk like legs to do

Vestal

It also looks like it sets up some Ambrose vs Y2J which can only be good for Ambrose in the long run.

Top Bottom