• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

Xater

Ok what is your favorite PS1 bad game. Like a game that was bad even then. You knew it wasn't good but you still played it for some reason.

This is one of mine.

33966_front.jpg

The gameplay is just dreadful. But I liked the soundtrack a lot, and the levels looked pretty cool.

Probably Apocalypse. The controls were tight and the graphics not that bad, but boy did the rest suck. You could also tell the shit with Willis was just thrown together with stuff they had around that was clearly intended for something else.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
¡HarlequinPanic!;179712520 said:
the DDR talk has me thinkin' bout nostalgia too. I was in the DDR club in high school with a bunch of other mallgoths.

I think i actually have a captain jack album somewhere in my collection.

RIP to Captain Jack. He's terrible, but dead, and that's sad.

OH WHAT THE FUCK.

Makabe is old, fat and slow. Ibushi is awesome. So why the fuck do they still have Makabe, who is worthless, holding the NEVER belt? And now a feud with Ishii again? FFS.

Happy to see Omega get the Jr. belt back, although I wasn't expecting it. Him, KUSHIDA, and Sydal should make make for some good matches (and perhaps Ricochet too, but with LU's second season his appearances will be minimal at best)

But yeah, if Nak wins the IC belt back from Goto on Sunday (which I'm sure he will) then NJPW is proof that the booking is on complete fucking autopilot. Yes, they are having great fucking matches, but what's the point when the storylines don't evolve?

Makabe is dope, and still over as fuck. But he is old fat and slow. I can't deny it. I would like to see him move away from Ishii, though.

Omega should do great with these new dudes. Goto needs to keep the IC belt.

bjork

Ok what is your favorite PS1 bad game. Like a game that was bad even then. You knew it wasn't good but you still played it for some reason.

This is one of mine.

The gameplay is just dreadful. But I liked the soundtrack a lot, and the levels looked pretty cool.

My friend had this, or I think it was part 2? There was a dude called Vermilion whose special was shooting pistols a ton of times. I used to just do that over and over until he'd get pissed and want to play something else.

It's tough to say what my favorite bad game was. Maybe Pepsiman? But it wasn't really bad, just kinda stupid. I played Magical Mystery Mall to 100% if that counts, or I used to boot up Play with the Teletubbies to laugh at this video where kids wash a pig, and I found it hysterical at the time for some reason I don't know.

bjork

Did any of you play Bushido Blade?! I mean come on!

Yeah. I beat it in about an hour and it sat on a shelf until I sold it. Cool concept and I'm glad they made it, but I don't know that it would make a top 25 PS1 games list for me.

Bushido Blade was great too.

A lot of it is bein' a kiddo at the time but some of those old 3d games were just so atmospheric.

BB is a game I remember playing while shut in on snow day's with another neighborhood kid, and that game let you run all around a snowy island until you both found a spot you'd agree to do battle in and then fight. A winter memory for sure

BB2 is also really cool, but also a bit stupid, too much voice acting.

espher

N64 had all of the good wrestling games of that generation. Shadows of the Empire. OG Smash. The best Mario Kart before MK8 came out. The best version of Resident Evil 2. Shadows of the Empire. Rogue Squadron. Goldeneye. Perfect Dark. Ocarina of Time. Majora's Mask.

I agree with this entire post but MK64 is hot garbage.

It did have three of the four all-time best kart-style racers of that gen though in the form of Snowboard Kids, Diddy Kong Racing, and Beetle Adventuring Racing.

Makabe is dope, and still over as fuck. But he is old fat and slow. I can't deny it. I would like to see him move away from Ishii, though.

Omega should do great with these new dudes. Goto needs to keep the IC belt.

That's true, but Ibushi got a massive push at the beginning of a year co-main eventing WK9 and winning the New Japan Cup. Since then he's been treated like crap despite a great showing in the G1. The least you could do would be put the NEVER title on him and let him build it up, and then perhaps feud with Shibata (who beat Ibushi in the G1 and likely won't be doing anything after his feud with Naito ends) and have some sick matches. Instead, we're stuck with Makabe and Ishii slugging the fuck out of each other. Again.

every so often some friends and I do drunken retro night where we get smashed and try to play N64 games.

Shadows of the Empire is impossible, and the standout moment so far has been MK:: Mythologies, a game where you can get crushed into jelly right away from a pillar, and have to do obtuse things like try to jump on a tiny ledge least you fall to your death.

Man, lot of kideo talk today. That former xbox japan writer is bringing in a whole new audience tonight only on WWE NXT!

jmdajr

Mega Man X4 was cool. Lots of folks like Mega Man Legends. Puzzle Fighter

Speaking of Fighters. One thing I was jealous of the Saturn was that 2d fighting game had more frames of animation.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's true, but Ibushi got a massive push at the beginning of a year co-main eventing WK9 and winning the New Japan Cup. Since then he's been treated like crap despite a great showing in the G1. The least you could do would be put the NEVER title on him and let him build it up, and then perhaps feud with Shibata (who beat Ibushi in the G1 and likely won't be doing anything after his feud with Naito ends) and have some sick matches. Instead, we're stuck with Makabe and Ishii slugging the fuck out of each other. Again.

I keep waiting to see Ibushi get the huge push he deserves, and it inexplicably never happens. He should be a next huge face of NJPW on all fronts.

jmdajr

My friend had this, or I think it was part 2? There was a dude called Vermilion whose special was shooting pistols a ton of times. I used to just do that over and over until he'd get pissed and want to play something else.

It's tough to say what my favorite bad game was. Maybe Pepsiman? But it wasn't really bad, just kinda stupid. I played Magical Mystery Mall to 100% if that counts, or I used to boot up Play with the Teletubbies to laugh at this video where kids wash a pig, and I found it hysterical at the time for some reason I don't know.

hahahaha! Yup. He was a secret character.

Another bad favorite game of mine.

109998.jpeg

I don't think I was ever won one fucking race. I just wanted to crash shit.

Sephzilla

Mega Man X4 was cool. Lots of folks like Mega Man Legends. Puzzle Fighter

Speaking of Fighters. One thing I was jealous of the Saturn was that 2d fighting game had more frames of animation.

I'm kind of love/hate about MMX4. I like the game but in hindsight that's where all of the bad ideas that plagued the later X games started

Barrage

Consider Spider-Man PS1 added to my list. Holy shit I loved that game.

I also may be the only Spider-Man: The Movie: The Game defender on this planet.

Ibushi doesn't get a huge push because he's a goddamn flippy junior with some of the most unsafe spots in wrestling history

Also he has that double contract with DDT, so splitting time isn't very appealing

bjork

Saturn 2D fighter superiority was nice and all, especially on the import side. But I'm still puzzled at how Symphony of the Night is a downgrade on the Saturn compared to PS1.

Maybe it's for match variety? Makabe and Ishii provide the hard-hitting brawl match type that adds something different to the card in a way that Ibushi as the NEVER champion couldn't.

Or they want to burn the Omega/Ibushi storyline that they were hinting at earlier this year? Adding Ibushi to the Omega/KUSHIDA/Sydal mix would be incredible.

espher

Top 5 PS1
1. Suikoden 2
2. Star Ocean: The Second Story
3. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
4. Monster Rancher 2
5. Vagrant Story
(Valkyrie Profile HM)

Top 5 N64
1. Snowboard KIds
2. Diddy Kong Racing
3. Super Smash Bros
4. Sin and Punishment
5. Harvest Moon 64
(Beetle Adventure Racing HM)

Legit surprised no other Suikoden mentions.

Favourite bad game... hmm... at least for the N64 it was probably Forsaken which was fun multiplayer.

PS1 games I've played on the Vita that I could rank as Fave Five PS1 games:

1. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
2. Suikoden II
3. Front Mission 3
4. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
5. Chrono Cross

Alucard

Banned
If I had to make a PS1 Faves list without thinking of a total number, it would probably be...

Games I loved:
1. Castlevania: SOTN
2. Final Fantasy VII
Crash Bandicoot 2
Crash Bandicoot 3
Metal Gear Solid
Spyro the Dragon
Spyro the Dragon 2
Spyro the Dragon 3
Tekken 3
Klonoa
Final Fantasy IX
Resident Evil 2
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
Sly Cooper
Crash Team Racing
Chrono Cross
Brave Fencer Musashi
Suikoden 2
Parappa the Rapper
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (Dreamcast version rocked too)

Games that I liked:
Tobal No. 1
Soul Blade
Pandemonium
Ridge Racer Type 4
Suikoden
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Syphon Filter
Ape Escape
Dead or Alive
Spider-Man
Colony Wars
Darkstalkers 3
Final Fantasy VIII
Rally Cross
Wipeout 3

Games that I didn't "get" at the time but would probably enjoy more now:
Final Fantasy Tactics
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile
Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey
Parasite Eve
Tomba

Game I didn't play at all or not a lot, but would probably enjoy:
Einhander
Grandia
Front Mission 3
R-Type Delta
Devil Dice
Silent Hill
Super Puzzle Fighter II
IQ
Mega Man X4
Silent Bomber
Threads of Fate
Dino Crisis
Xenogears
Rival Schools
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Alundra
Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV
Star Ocean
Bloody Roar
RayCrisis
Mr. Driller

Aiii

So not worth it
hahahaha! Yup. He was a secret character.

Another bad favorite game of mine.

109998.jpeg

I don't think I was ever to win one fucking race. I just wanted to crash shit.

DD wasn't a bad game, was it?

I just played the Death Match arena mode, where you had 20 cars in a big circle and the goal was to destroy every other car.

bjork

Legit surprised no other Suikoden mentions.

Got the 108 stars in the first one, but I remember endlessly grinding so Pahn could be Teo, so you could save Gremio and the rest of the game feeling like a slog after that. In part 2, I got stuck at the Luca Blight fight and sold the game before I got a chance to get back to it.

They're cool, and I like the music, but I think maybe a top 20 for either in my book.

PS1 is the true GOAT
Fuck what you heard

Commodore 64 forever.

Skikkiks

5 - Crash 3
I like space and time travel

Crash 2's jetpack levels (despite their mediocre control) did space better than anything in Crash 3. Jetpack levels got the best track of the franchise, too.

Unless by space you mean the future levels, which are a really nice locale. Time travel really helped the locales of the game. Too bad to get to the cool Egypt or Arabia levels you gotta play a murderous jetski or underwater level or, truly the worst, airplane level.

miserable

Fave five N64:

Mario 64
Zelda OOT
Goldeneye
Banjo
Diddy Kong Racing

Fave five PS1 is very tough to pick...

Tekken 2
Wipeout XL
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy Tactics
Soul Blade

Skikkiks

Favorite bad PS1 game was some Dukes of Hazzard game. Haha... >_>

The true best bad PS1 game

The_Simpsons_Wrestling_Coverart.png

It's a dumb fuck button masher where you just spam the square button on the opponent's wakeup to get the invincibility mechanic so you can spam the square button some more to get the invincibility mechanic.

Or you play Flanders and press the circle button for 15 seconds of Doom's Hidden Missiles.

But hey, the original voices are here, you can play as Itchy and Scratchy in a different mode after you beat the game and the and the music is pretty cool.

Top Bottom