• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

Re: Destruction in Kobe

So Nakamura is once again stuck with the IC belt, Goto is once again seen as the perennial "can't win the big match" guy, Karl frigging Anderson gets the title shot at KOPW, Red Hot Naito is about to be fed to Cenahashi, and fucking RPG VICE gets a Jr. tag title shot.

*sigh* at least we have Sydal vs. Omega to look forward to. But yeah, thanks to their God-awful booking NJPW has lost their best promotion in the world crown for me. Congratulations, Lucha Underground.

Raw64life

I've only been following NJPW closely for the last 2 years but their booking has definitely been stale lately. PPV was good but felt like the same old. More Okada/Styles/Tanahashi being the only people in the title picture, Nakamura
as IC champ yet again when there's absolutely nothing else he can do with that belt
, both tag divisions boring as fuck, Makabe/Ishii NEVER feud as in the feud that NEVER ends.

Also, how long do young lions typically be young lions for? I feel like I've been watching the same 3 guys jobbing in opening matches the entire 2 years I've been watching NJPW. They don't have anyone else coming up? I guess Cody Hall qualifies although he's probably going to get a push a lot sooner than any of the other guys.

RP912

Banned
Re: Destruction in Kobe

So Nakamura is once again stuck with the IC belt, Goto is once again seen as the perennial "can't win the big match" guy, Karl frigging Anderson gets the title shot at KOPW, Red Hot Naito is about to be fed to Cenahashi, and fucking RPG VICE gets a Jr. tag title shot.

*sigh* at least we have Sydal vs. Omega to look forward to. But yeah, thanks to their God-awful booking NJPW has lost their best promotion in the world crown for me. Congratulations, Lucha Underground.

Smh...and this right here is the final nail in the coffin for me concerning NJPW. I know I been quiet about wrestling lately, but shit like this is frustrating as a wrestling fan and making me take a sabbatical until season 2 of LU . Data was right :/. The booking been piss poor in NJPW since the G1, but I tried to look over it until I just fully gave up on the promotion.

At least Karl gets a chance at the gold. Dude been on fire this year.

Pretty disappointed Goto didn't retain, Nakamura has done just about all he can with the belt at present and it's starting to feel like Inoki's NWF title (in that, while other people won the belt, it was Inoki's belt and always returned to him). I think the most disappointing thing about Goto's reign is that he didn't get to define it free of Nakamura's shadow, so it never really seemed like HIS belt.

Karl won't win, but I can see AJ challenging for the title at WK - also, with him as ROH's no.1 contender that could be a title vs title match, which would be a big get for ROH in what'd likely be the semi-main event of the biggest show of the year. As for Goto? Fuck knows. Perhaps he and Shibata will win the tag league and Gedo does Meiyu Tag's title reign right this time, lol.

Also, how long do young lions typically be young lions for? I feel like I've been watching the same 3 guys jobbing in opening matches the entire 2 years I've been watching NJPW. They don't have anyone else coming up? I guess Cody Hall qualifies although he's probably going to get a push a lot sooner than any of the other guys.

Komatsu & Tanaka will probably finally go on their learning excursions next year, as Watanabe & Hiromu Takahashi will be returning from their own excursions - however, that'd leave only gaijins in the NJPW dojo; Jay White, David Finlay, Cody Hall & Juice Robinson. There's a few trainees from Bushiroad Club, which is NJPW's amateur wrestling school, but the more promising of those are either training for the Olympics or trying their hand at MMA.

New Japan really need some new young lions, but they may need to lower the levels required for acceptance - a lot of trainees are looking at places like Dragon Gate, BJW and the DDT/ZERO1 dojos as there's a perception that it's easier and more modern than the NJPW dojo system.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't know why any young Japanese wrestler looking to get into the business would go anywhere but Dragon Gate or DDT. They can better hide your size, they usually put you to use much quicker than NJPW does and they find you a variety of match types to do rather than just 6 man opener tags and rumbles due to their DNA promotion which has young guys working big name Japan guys from Kasai to Sekimoto to Miyahara. They're also great at building a large fanbase around someone as they develop.

One takes place in prime time
One takes place while I am unconscious

"Prime time" isn't universal

So do I get to throw a temper tantrum when I accidentally come to this topic and get spoiled on NXT Live Events or something like that?

WrassleGAF runs on B-Lee Time.

I get accidentally being spoiled, but we all know that if you come in here after a show has happened, we're going to discuss it

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Boootaaay, you seem pretty convinced when you told me Okada was going to feud with Nakamura post-WK10.

You uh... You can change your mind, you know.

Grado is shit

fuck off

speaking of shit and BritWres, guess who's having a match as we speak?
CP7CpDfWcAA0Wd_.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bummed out about Goto. Just bummed. He needed this, dammit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't think I set a time-limit, you know Okada vs Nak is happening at some point. It's a money feud.

I can go digging if you like, but I'm positive you said Nakamura was Okada's next feud at WK. I only bring this up because you were VERY adamant about it.

tm24

Can someone tell me what the h this is? --> :jnc
I'm old.

It's an old gaf meme. Back in the day GAF had smilies and a user by the name of jack n coke would heavily abuse the lol smiley in football threads. Not sure if that's why smilies are gone, but the football threads started using :jnc is a spiritual replacement of sorts in his honor

Also, fuck NJPW

Zach

It's an old gaf meme. Back in the day GAF had smilies and a user by the name of jack n coke would heavily abuse the lol smiley in football threads. Not sure if that's why smilies are gone, but the football threads started using :jnc is a spiritual replacement of sorts in his honor

Also, fuck NJPW

You are so wise, tm24. Thank you. Didn't even realize I only saw it in the college football thread.

I can go digging if you like, but I'm positive you said Nakamura was Okada's next feud at WK. I only bring this up because you were VERY adamant about it.

If I had to book it, I would have AJ win the IC title from Nak at WK8 while Okada retains against Tanahashi to finally cement himself as Ace. Give Goto a big singles victory (maybe against Naito), and have him challenge Okada at New Beginning, and finally win the belt. However, Nak then wins the New Japan Cup and challenges Goto at Invasion Attack, and wins the belt. And THEN you have Okada challenge Nak, and have them face off at DOMINION, with AJ defending the IC belt against Tanahashi possibly at Wrestling Dontaku.

Then, you've got a World title picture of Nakamura/Okada/Goto, an IC title picture of Tanahashi/AJ/Naito, and a NEVER title picture of Makabe/Ishii/Ibushi/Shibata.

Toss in KUSHIDA/Sydal/Omega/Ricochet here and there for the JR. title, bring in TMDK and maybe La Sombra to join with Naito for the Hvy Tag titles, and Young Bucks/reDRagon/RPG Vice/Time Splitters for the Jr. Tag Titles, and you have some really good matches and feuds.

And of course they will do none of this.

bjork

What if they did a storyline like Freaky Friday... two dudes smack heads in the middle of a tag match or something and their personalities change, confusing the shit out of everyone involved. Then they cut promos as each other for weeks, with one dude not wanting to change back because it's better in his new body. This culminates in a match that ends with a Benoit flying headbutt, restoring order to the world.

What if they did a storyline like Freaky Friday... two dudes smack heads in the middle of a tag match or something and their personalities change, confusing the shit out of everyone involved. Then they cut promos as each other for weeks, with one dude not wanting to change back because it's better in his new body. This culminates in a match that ends with a Benoit flying headbutt, restoring order to the world.

this is a great idea and reminiscent of some of the stuff Disco Inferno was proposing when he was a writer in WCW

Anth0ny

holy christ these 1995 benoit/eddy matches are insane. in an alternate universe, there's a kick ass DVD just full of benoit vs. eddy matches.

they're just killing each other, week after week... while commentary talks about the hogan or sting program lol. i think one of their matches was literally interrupted by hogan arriving at the building. they just looked like geeks wrestling in the ring while hogan was on the big screen.

just started watching the november 13 1995 episode of nitro, and...

8H540MW.jpg

what the mother fuck

over the course of a few weeks, they went from quasi-NWO "dark side" hulk hogan to phantom of the opera, "it literally can't get more cartoony than this" dark side hulk hogan.

pretty sure the writers were high during this period. makes the show fun to watch, though.

edit: macho man just got introduced as "from the dark side of venice beach california" OMG haha

Lothar

Banned
A lot of crap went down during Episode 206 of RAW (April 21, 1997). Was Russo writing at this time?

This is a good catch because I believe it was the first ever Raw with Russo as the head writer.

I'm not certain because Russo doesn't give out or know the dates for it but he talks a lot in shoot interviews how he was given the head writer job right after a horrible Raw in early 97 that was simulcast in two different countries. I believe that was the week prior. This one. http://rspw.org/petrie/970414.txt

If indeed this is the day Russo became the head writer, he really deserves more credit and respect than he's given because there's no doubt Raws started becoming awesome at this point.

You sure asking Rollins to pretend he's Roman is a good idea?

u5lrIPi.gif

Zach

This is a good catch because I believe it was the first ever Raw with Russo as the head writer.

I'm not certain because Russo doesn't give out or know the dates for it but he talks a lot in shoot interviews how he was given the head writer job right after a horrible Raw in early 97 that was simulcast in two different countries. I believe that was the week prior. This one. http://rspw.org/petrie/970414.txt

If indeed this is the day Russo became the head writer, he really deserves more credit and respect than he's given because there's no doubt Raws started becoming awesome at this point.

Wow. That's pretty funny if it's his first RAW as head writer. I'm amazed by how much stuff happened. I mean, it's not really my cup of tea overall, but that's fine. It's impressive in its own way and I want to see how they follow it up next week.

Edit: And I actually laughed out loud when McMahon said like "oh my god, there's Mankind with a blowtorch!" and sure enough, there came Mankind with a blowtorch. >_>

Lothar

Banned
Wow. That's pretty funny if it's his first RAW as head writer. I'm amazed by how much stuff happened. I mean, it's not really my cup of tea overall, but that's fine. It's impressive in its own way and I want to see how they follow it up next week.

Edit: And I actually laughed out loud when McMahon said like "oh my god, there's Mankind with a blowtorch!" and sure enough, there came Mankind with a blowtorch. >_>

Have you seen Raw 1997 before? Do you know what you're in store for?

I wonder if this Raw could be considered the start of the Attitude Era.

Top Bottom