• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

Zach

Three quick things from Nitro 84 so far:

1. Isn't it amazing that tiny Dean Malenko won the U.S. Championship?
I love Dean Malenko.
2. Mortis is still the coolest, I don't care what you say.
3. Wrath ruined his mystique by speaking.

Bonus: Speaking of Wrath, oh my god:

ClarkBryan1.jpg

Menome

Only 24 hours to go until I can remove this avatar of lies.

EDIT: Also thinking of going to a WWE Live show that's going to be nearby in November. The venue's pretty small, so even though I'd be cheap and buy balcony tickets, I'll still have a good view.

Just got to see if Sandow's flying over. Do they tend to do autograph signings etc. at house shows?

Bronx-Man

Banned
holy christ these 1995 benoit/eddy matches are insane. in an alternate universe, there's a kick ass DVD just full of benoit vs. eddy matches.

they're just killing each other, week after week... while commentary talks about the hogan or sting program lol. i think one of their matches was literally interrupted by hogan arriving at the building. they just looked like geeks wrestling in the ring while hogan was on the big screen.

just started watching the november 13 1995 episode of nitro, and...

8H540MW.jpg

what the mother fuck

over the course of a few weeks, they went from quasi-NWO "dark side" hulk hogan to phantom of the opera, "it literally can't get more cartoony than this" dark side hulk hogan.

pretty sure the writers were high during this period. makes the show fun to watch, though.

edit: macho man just got introduced as "from the dark side of venice beach california" OMG haha

Now that I think about it, doesn't next month make it 20 years since Halloween Havoc 95?

Omg flammable.

This is like nostalgia overload. Doctor Who, Scooby Doo, Jurassic Park...Ghost busters?!

Starter pack

Man. These are one of those kits you wait for a deep price drop next year.

Sounds like a lot of fun but yeah, I had zero clue this was a toy to life game.

My hope is I stumble on an eBay listing for some parent trying to "teach their child a lesson".

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I was thinking today while walking the dogs that out of the four greatest "wait, what the fuck, is this guy actually going to win moments?!?" Santino Marella has TWO OF THEM.

Royal Rumble and Elimination Chamber. My all time favorite though is still King versus Miz on Raw. King of all hope spots.

I don't see why SoulPlaya hasn't returned after last week's RAW. Kane is in line for a title shot and everyone seems positive on him.

#SaveUsKane

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Three quick things from Nitro 84 so far:

1. Isn't it amazing that tiny Dean Malenko won the U.S. Championship?
I love Dean Malenko.
2. Mortis is still the coolest, I don't care what you say.
3. Wrath ruined his mystique by speaking.

Bonus: Speaking of Wrath, oh my god:

ClarkBryan1.jpg

Lmaooooo
So the main event for WK10 is gonna be Okada vs Tanahashi......again.

giphy.gif
Welcome back Bronx-Man!

Anth0ny

just watched world war 3 1995. my god did wcw resort to "THE REF DIDN'T SEE IT!" finishes a lot when they wanted to protect both guys.

not gonna lie, I prefer it to today's non-stop run-in DQ finishes.

bjork

I wanted to play a racing game and I didn't feel like actually looking for anything on PC, so I found Drift Spirits on ios. It's so simple and so good. Time your start, time your beginning and end to your drift. Zero steering, I love it.

I can go digging if you like, but I'm positive you said Nakamura was Okada's next feud at WK. I only bring this up because you were VERY adamant about it.

Sure, go right ahead if you think that's a profitable use of your time :p

But, regardless of whether I thought it would happen directly after WK10 or not, that's the funny thing about predictions: they don't always come true. But, sometimes they do. Predicted this shit, didn't I;

So the main event for WK10 is gonna be Okada vs Tanahashi......again.

Despite everyone telling me over and over "they don't do repeat main events at the Tokyo Dome!" and "there's no way old man Tanahashi's winning the G1 over [insert personal favourite here]", but here we are.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Some people didn't watch NJPW through the Tanahashiwinslol era.

I already got broken when I saw Tanahashi win the IWGP title while Cozy and Tanaka were having the most heated match in the promotion

Bronx-Man

Banned
Anyone with half a brain could've been able to tell that they were gonna do Okada/Tanahashi for WKX the minute WK9 ended. "Wrestle Kingdom doesn't do rematches" my ass.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't know who didn't believe because I remember saying the ending of WK9 literally spoiled the ending of WK10. Literally gave away that the whole promotion is all about Tanahashi vs Okada and everything else, AJ, Nakamura, Naito, Shibata, are all filler.

Anyone with half a brain could've been able to tell that they were gonna do Okada/Tanahashi for WKX the minute WK9 ended. "Wrestle Kingdom doesn't do rematches" my ass.

Must be a lot of morons out there then, because I've been having to defend that prediction all goddamn year until Tanahashi actually won the G1.

I don't know who didn't believe because I remember saying the ending of WK9 literally spoiled the ending of WK10. Literally gave away that the whole promotion is all about Tanahashi vs Okada and everything else, AJ, Nakamura, Naito, Shibata, are all filler.

The issue wasn't with people not believing that the ultimate outcome of Tanahashi/Okada was Okada becoming the new ace of the promotion, it was with people thinking it wouldn't happen THIS YEAR. They all thought it'd be Shinsuke/AJ, or some other fantastical dream match - it amazes me that people can watch this promotion and yet STILL expect them to proceed at a faster pace. This is the pace.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I mean, Nakamura's always been filler. Even back when him and Tanahashi were getting the 'push'. It was more of a 'Tanahashi is getting a push and you are getting a push so it means more when he beats you. And he will beat you. A lot.'

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think Marufuji is the Japanese Jeff Jarrett
tumblr_n5ryoo2KeL1qj1jhno1_1280.jpg

You will never be as over as your kayfabe daddy wants you or you want you to be. You will never be the coolest guy in your promotion and you will always look like a complete fucking doofus when you try to fit in with something that is 'cool.'(Jarrett with the NWO, Marufuji with Nakamura)
Listening to some more Stone Cold podcasts today...this man is obsessed with the DDT.

People thought that shit could kill someone in the 80s. If you watched then, there's nothing modern that compares just in terms of 'myth' about it.

I mean, Nakamura's always been filler. Even back when him and Tanahashi were getting the 'push'. It was more of a 'Tanahashi is getting a push and you are getting a push so it means more when he beats you. And he will beat you. A lot.'

He had that whole 'Super Rookie' run though, while Tanahashi was still stuck in young lion mode - had Inoki not done such an amazingly good job of bringing low his own promotion, Nakamura may have remained the favourite of the two for quite a while longer. Instead, Yukes took over and in 2006 Tanahashi pulled ahead of Nakamura.

bjork

What's the wrasslegaf origin of "friend"? I always knew it as The Rifleman saying it before he pumped some dude full of lead.

Top Bottom