• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

Weeeeelllll...

hqdefault.jpg

bjork

also i've said it before but i fucking love Doink
tumblr_nc7223Milu1r8nadzo1_400.gif

x240-RIE.jpg

He is THE man in WWF in 93. They fucked his gimmick up so bad in under a year I don't even know where to start

Heel Doink was one of my favorites. I remember being really pissed when he started hanging with the good guys. I haven't seen all of the Bourne Again stuff from ECW, but I liked that too.

1993 is secretly one of the greatest years for storylines the WWF ever had. The wrestling is questionable, and the talent really isn't over, but the setups for the feuds are impeccable.

The only black marks that come to mind is basically everything Hogan from that year, and the Doinks Survivor Series match.

Cagey

Banned
"You know, some people here hate me, and others love me. That's your right, you're the WWE Universe. But I love it here, I was reading about the Mets and eating some deep dish pizza like only the capital of the world knows how to do it and I thought, I love you all."

in preacher voice

Why do you think Cena would turn heel in MSG?

Anth0ny

Monday Nitro December 11 1995 -

Live from Charlotte, North Carolina. obviously, as it's Flair's home town, they were hot as FUCK for the heel Flair and Arn Anderson. Made for an awesome show. Seeing damn near EVERYONE in the crowd throwing up the symbol of excellence was amazing.

Here are some gifs I made of Arn Anderson being awesome and the crowd LOSING THEIR SHIT:

MjsWwPS.gif

gPgaFNQ.gif

HQWw75X.gif

To top it all off, this show brings us one of the all time great wrasslin gifs:

KhUupYe.gif

Legendary.

Colocho

Banned
I think it's amazing that Kane's been with the WWE for like 40 years and his only title reign was 1 day long (the WHC doesn't really count as that was always the secondary title), I'd say he deserves a month with the belt and give it back to Rollins at Survivor Series or something.

Shiozaki leaving AJPW is weird as fuck, only highlights how thinly stretched the talent is between AJPW, NOAH & W-1 - one of the three needs to fold, ideally W-1 but Mutoh's crazy and doesn't seem to care about money, or NOAH because of the state it's in.

Jamie OD

WWE will be bringing SummerSlam weekends back to the Barclays Center in both 2016 and 2017

Good, I know which tickets I'm getting this time around.

inb4 Ticketmaster shits the bed again

Guaranteed a quarter of tickets sold on day 1 will immediately be on StubHub.
Shiozaki leaving AJPW is weird as fuck, only highlights how thinly stretched the talent is between AJPW, NOAH & W-1 - one of the three needs to fold, ideally W-1 but Mutoh's crazy and doesn't seem to care about money, or NOAH because of the state it's in.

I believe the reason they hired Sanshiro Takagi in the first place was just to have someone to stop them from bleeding so much money.

klonere

Banned

Is he going abroad (NXT...) or is their a chance he heads to NJPW? He's definitely one of my fav AJPW guys and it'll really hurt them to see him go. He looked and wrestled like a star which a lot of the guys there struggle to do.

Isn't it more that Mutoh, like Inoki, is able to attract outside investors who will subsidize him even if the company isn't making money. Takagi seems to be someone who can attract interest in a promotion so I actually have somewhat more hope for W-1 than All Japan, which seems to just run smaller and smaller venues every year.

Here's the King of Pro-Wrestling card;

dCfULn8.jpg

NJPW, "KING OF PRO-WRESTLING", 2015/10/12
Ryogoku Kokugikan

1. Jushin Liger, Tiger Mask, Ryusuke Taguchi, KUSHIDA & Mascara Dorada vs Juice Robinson, Yohei Komatsu, Sho Tanaka, David Finlay & Jay White
2. Tomoaki Honma vs YOSHI-HASHI
3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima, Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi vs Hirooki Goto, Katsuyori Shibata, Kota Ibushi & Captain New Japan
4. IWGP Jr. Tag Team Titles: reDRagon (Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish) © vs RPG Vice (Rocky Romero & Baretta)
5. IWGP Jr. Title: Kenny Omega © vs Matt Sydal
6. Shinsuke Nakamura, Toru Yano & Kazushi Sakuraba vs Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows & Bad Luck Fale
7. NEVER Openweight Title: Togi Makabe © vs Tomohiro Ishii
8. IWGP no.1 Contendership: Hiroshi Tanahashi © vs Tetsuya Naito
9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada © vs AJ Styles

Takagi seems to be someone who can attract interest in a promotion so I actually have somewhat more hope for W-1 than All Japan, which seems to just run smaller and smaller venues every year.

W-1 & AJPW both run their share of tiny venues and both do similarly poorly at Korakuen Hall, W-1's biggest problem is that it all feels so aimless, but AJPW's biggest problem is they have no depth to the roster. It's hard to say which is doing better than the other, because they're both in a state. Also, while you may be right about Mutoh's ability to attract investors, one of the reasons AJPW hasn't folded is because they've got some solid financial backing from a regional broadcaster.

Is he going abroad (NXT...) or is their a chance he heads to NJPW?

No idea, as of yet - he's just said he's going freelance, but also said he needs to find a promotion to sign with so he can provide for his family.

Foffy

Banned
Hoping AJ wins, but I kind of doubt it.

Isn't Okada fighting Tenryu next month, and wasn't it implied at G1 that it'd be for the IWGP belt?

ZCpx1rS.png

LOL, for real though, that fucking 'hot tag > clothesline > clothesline > clothesline > pander to the crowd' babyface spot is the fucking dirt worst.

Rip has some good stories. I wish I got to hear them.

also i've said it before but i fucking love Doink
tumblr_nc7223Milu1r8nadzo1_400.gif

x240-RIE.jpg

He is THE man in WWF in 93. They fucked his gimmick up so bad in under a year I don't even know where to start

Heel Doink was awesome, WTF were they thinking? Probably just Vince being Vince. Also miss jobber matches and the ways those guys would get killed to make the talent look good.

Dorada in his usuAL curtain jerker spot. No idea why he was bought in

It seems more and more that this year has been a learning excursion for Dorada - he stays in the dojo with the young lions, works undercard tags most of the time and isn't exactly protected when it comes to pinfalls. But, despite an impressive showing in the BOSJ, he hasn't done jack all since - I was hoping they'd have him defend that CMLL Welterweight belt a few times against Komatsu or BUSHI when he finally returns, but it doesn't look like that'll happen.

It seems more and more that this year has been a learning excursion for Dorada - he stays in the dojo with the young lions, works undercard tags most of the time and isn't exactly protected when it comes to pinfalls. But, despite an impressive showing in the BOSJ, he hasn't done jack all since - I was hoping they'd have him defend that CMLL Welterweight belt a few times against Komatsu or BUSHI when he finally returns, but it doesn't look like that'll happen.

He can do 6 mans in cmll all the time. Should have him team up with one of the young lions. Would love to see him and reddragon face off.

Xander Cooper is such a shameless rip-off of Dalton Castle, awful. Looking forward to seeing Ligero vs Ciampa, Dar vs Drew should be good as well.

He can do 6 mans in cmll all the time.

True, but the point of a learning excursion is that you get to work in a completely different environment and work with a ton of different wrestlers, whose experience and wrestling styles aren't similar to your own.

I think its pretty well accepted that Dorada was brought in when Ricochet decided to sign with LU instead of New Japan. He did get one championship match against Omega and it was good, if not great. With Ricochet coming back the top guys are going to be him, Omega, and Kushida and there are only so may top spots so Dorada's pushed into the background.

I think its pretty well accepted that Dorada was brought in when Ricochet decided to sign with LU instead of New Japan.

7 months after the fact? I'm not so sure there's any connection there and I don't think NJPW had any intention of using Dorada as they would have used Ricochet, had he signed with New Japan.

Top Bottom