• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

Barrage

People here think Landis can book? What gives you this confidence, his brilliant Smackdown Island idea? Th guy's movies suck, let alone his fantasy booking.

The problem with taped segments is that they kill the crowd, who has to watch the Titantron for 10 minutes. I've wondered if they tried to tape a RAW a month in advance,and then add-let's say- 20-30 minutes of taped segments, while just cutting a few matches from the live show how that would work?

It would certainly freshen up the presentation. And while ratings for taped shows usually drop, A) Ratings ain't so good anyway, and B) Because the segments wouldn't be able to be spoiled, maybe people would tune in anyway.

Why are there defenders of the current product? What is it you actually like?

They're going to seriously say New Day or Seth as champ, and I don't know which is funnier

New Day's fine, but a comedy act that maybe appears on screen once or twice should never be the main reason you watch something for 3 hours a week.

The problem with taped segments is that they kill the crowd, who has to watch the Titantron for 10 minutes. I've wondered if they tried to tape a RAW a month in advance,and then add-let's say- 20-30 minutes of taped segments, while just cutting a few matches from the live show how that would work?

It would certainly freshen up the presentation. And while ratings for taped shows usually drop, A) Ratings ain't so good anyway, and B) Because the segments wouldn't be able to be spoiled, maybe people would tune in anyway.

The thing is we're of the mindset that a promo has to be 10 minutes long when a 1 minute pre-taped Nikki Bella promo would do just fine.

Unless it's Paul Heyman, 10 minute promos are killing crowds as it is.

Is this what we're reduced to? Ratings down...let's talk leftovers
#RollinsEra
VGyGI9x.gif

Barrage

The thing is we're of the mindset that a promo has to be 10 minutes long when a 1 minute pre-taped Nikki Bella promo would do just fine.

Unless it's Paul Heyman, 10 minute promos are killing crowds as it is.

No, no,I agree with you that those 2-3 Minute "WWE.COM Exclusives" are great and should be on RAW. I was furious when Cesaro and Kidd were doing those really fun promos that noone saw.

I'm talking you have some feud (Ambrose goes to the swamps to find the Wyatt Family's house, whatever).And you let the vignettes go as long as they have to, because you're adding them to an already taped show.

Look at some of the long-ass Dibiase segments they used to have. Make one RAW not live, and focus on storytelling.

bjork

No, no,I agree with you that those 2-3 Minute "WWE.COM Exclusives" are great and should be on RAW. I was furious when Cesaro and Kidd were doing those really fun promos that noone saw.

I'm talking you have some feud (Ambrose goes to the swamps to find the Wyatt Family's house, whatever).And you let the vignettes go as long as they have to, because you're adding them to an already taped show.

Look at some of the long-ass Dibiase segments they used to have. Make one RAW not live, and focus on storytelling.

The only case I can think of where that worked was Austin going to kill Pillman. Fast forward ten years, and you have HHH invading Orton's house. You can see a shift that says "we don't know how to do this any more."

They need to get back to basics before they try and spruce it up with things.

imBask

Banned
y'all act like I don't know that Landis is a complete dickhead

I know

and he would still make a better wrestling show than RAW

Fox318

Which writers would you cut?

at least 80% of them.

This show needs a small team of writers that spitball bulletpoint ideas with the performers to help them to allow their natural and crafted improv and promo skills excel. Otherwise why is HHH teaching people at NXT to do promos instead of reading lines?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Apparently Ashley from HR.....Is actually Ashley from HR. She works as Director of Human Resources in Conneticut.

http://www.wawnation.com/2015/09/28...ashley-on-wwe-monday-night-raw-identity-30724

Live the gimmick.

Wait, that girl is the HR director, and Stephanie McMahon is on the Board of Directors? Goddamn, its almost like....a TV show on a low tier cable network!

I'm surprised it took Vince this long to figure he should put his attractive, non-television talent on the air. Oh wait, he probably couldn't see what she looked like.

Barrage

The only case I can think of where that worked was Austin going to kill Pillman. Fast forward ten years, and you have HHH invading Orton's house. You can see a shift that says "we don't know how to do this any more."

They need to get back to basics before they try and spruce it up with things.

The "home invasion" thing was fine (TBH, I think that feud is actually super strong to this day) Where they fucked up is by following it with a boring, milquetoast WM Main Event that was a complete deescalation of what was happening before. The feud itself was very engaging.

You gotta try shit before you can do it right. The Austin gun thing at the time was considered a MAJOR backfire, but it let them know where the line was.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Sounds like an old episode of Superstars, aside from length.
- 1 hour long.
- Barber shop/funeral parlor/etc was 5-6 minutes total.
- Taped interviews were cut-ins during a guy's matches
- 30-second rundown of what's on the show this week, then right to the ring
- Jack Tunney was *rarely* involved in the stories.
- They had women's one on ones because there were only like three women
- Commentary was Vince/whoever, but they could make it Cole/whoever
- Big Show was still in high school or whatever.

It was the best of times. People can talk all that shit about wrestling trashmen and whatnot, but you never saw Duke Droese eight times on one show trying to play up to Gorilla Monsoon for approval. He just came out, did like four moves, and put a trash can on a dude's head.
Bring back the Superstars era

Aiii

So not worth it
Chromecast presentation, tons of mentions of companies who will start supporting Chromecast.

WWE though? Nothing. Terrible form.

Anth0ny

Real talk: 8-12 hours of content per week is way too fuckin much time. Austin, Jake, Rock, whomever the fuck you want to think of would suffer from overexposure in the current system.

plus wwe.com, wwe network, twitter, facebook, instagram, podcasts, youtube shows... it's fucking insanity.

As I continue to watch 1995 Nitro, I believe more and more that a 1 hour flagship show is the sweet spot for this stuff. then you have a 1 hour bullshit filler show later in the week. that's all you need.

unfortunately, with the way tv rights work nowadays, 3 hours of raw + 2 hours of smackdown is here to stay. get the D team to write smackdown. no one watches it and it can be filler. get the A team to write raw. 3 hours is a long time but with 27 fucking writers it shouldn't be as much of an issue as it is.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How are you liking/disliking Lego Dimensions? Please respond.

It feels like an evolution of the other LEGO games which is kind of surprising. I enjoy some of the puzzles and think the mission variety is a lot better than stuff like Batman 2(which I really liked) and more. The lack of characters kind of sucks, but that just makes the one s you get feel more unique because they add some fun 'specialness' to each one since there's not as many playable. Big fan of the Wicked Witch's flying around for example. And the level packs feel too short, but the hub worlds you get with them are probably worth it. I haven't done the portal one yet.

It's still a lego game and the lego stuff is still WAY overpriced, but it's a fun easy stupid little thing.

hamchan

They're going to seriously say New Day or Seth as champ, and I don't know which is funnier

New Day's fine, but a comedy act that maybe appears on screen once or twice should never be the main reason you watch something for 3 hours a week.

But I don't watch it 3 hours a week. I watch the New Day segments and then stop watching.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The thing with Skate 3 is that it was fun to play and its gameplay style encouraged you to explore and invent new spots which is always going to lead to the occasional glitch.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 are small enclosed areas where there is no feat to jumping over anything because that's not how Tony Hawk works. It's like glitches during a fighting game vs glitches during a GTA, with Tony Hawk being the fighting game. Those games are all about gameplay and being glitch heavy is even more unforgivable in that kind of environment.

Not that it matters because they got rid of the depth of the trick system in this game anyways.

bjork

The "home invasion" thing was fine (TBH, I think that feud is actually super strong to this day) Where they fucked up is by following it with a boring, milquetoast WM Main Event that was a complete deescalation of what was happening before. The feud itself was very engaging.

You gotta try shit before you can do it right. The Austin gun thing at the time was considered a MAJOR backfire, but it let them know where the line was.

With Austin, it played into his character perfectly. They softened the edge a little by making it beer trucks and zambonis instead of attempted murder, but you can look back and it makes sense. HHH did it the one time and then that was it. Every other time we saw him outside of an arena ever, he's fucking off on a Jeep with DX or drugging his future wife, etc. More of a goof than a public menace. Maybe that's why they never went back to it with him. Instead they had him come out this year wearing Terminator skulls.

Where was that vignette? I want to see how he beat Terminators.

So it's the same thing as the grind button but if you're in the air and there's nothing to grind right below you, it drops you to the ground instantly ending your combo.
c0yNM0J.gif

I uploaded it in action as it ruins my combo. It does htis ALL the time because the rail magnetization is shitty and they wisely put the combo ending button on the SAME BUTTON AS THE GRIND BUTTON

Why did you buy this.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
All they need to do is get the best Divas to join the New Day.

Monday Night Raw (2016 Reboot)

Created by Executive Producers Kevin Dunn (The John Cena Experience) and Tina Fey (30 Rock), Monday Night Raw stars Stephanie McMahon-Levesque (Invasion) as Steph McMahon, a workaholic mom who has the important job of raising two kids while trying to run a global pro wrestling empire alongside a meathead ex wrestler named Triple H - who just happens to be her husband!
Steph spends her days trying to manage the wrestling "talent" - a kooky rotating cast of colorful muscular idiots including her number one talent (and her daughter's number one crush) John Cena! (Trainwreck). While the big action happens inside the ring, Steph finds herself battling with her sponsors, head office, and the companies founder - Her father (Vince McMahon, Flinstones Stone-Age Smackdown)!
This weekly 3 hour single camera action comedy series promises to be lighthearted fun for the whole family

Ithil

Monday Night Raw (2016 Reboot)

Created by Executive Producers Kevin Dunn (The John Cena Experience) and Tina Fey (30 Rock), Monday Night Raw stars Stephanie McMahon-Levesque (Invasion) as Steph McMahon, a workaholic mom who has the important job of raising two kids while trying to run a global pro wrestling empire alongside a meathead ex wrestler named Triple H - who just happens to be her husband!
Steph spends her days trying to manage the wrestling "talent" - a kooky rotating cast of colorful muscular idiots including her number one talent (and her daughter's number one crush) John Cena! (Trainwreck). While the big action happens inside the ring, Steph finds herself battling with her sponsors, head office, and the companies founder - Her father (Vince McMahon, Flinstones Stone-Age Smackdown)!
This weekly 3 hour single camera action comedy series promises to be lighthearted fun for the whole family
1.1 rating

jmdajr

Are ratings lower now than New Generation era? I am sure as far as total income the answer is they are far better now.

But still.

Are they?

Top Bottom