• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

JavyOO7

It was a storyline. A company "bought" Chikara and shut it down. Then there was kidnappings and scavenger hunts and bootleg wrestling events.

This article is a good primer

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/the-true-story-behind-the-craziest-pro-wrestling-stunt-ever

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2014/02/07/the-rebirth-of-chikara/

Not done reading the story yet on your first link, but the first question I ask myself is = Why would the boss of Chikara do this to his fans and talent? What is wrong with you?

Carnby

I just watched an episode of The List. My question. Was Lex Luger really built as the guy with the metal arm? It must have been a short term booking decision.

Not done reading the story yet on your first link, but the first question I ask myself is = Why would the boss of Chikara do this to his fans and talent? What is wrong with you?

He wanted to do something that hadn't been done in wrestling before. Which to be fair, it hadn't.

Because nobody besides Quack was idiotic enough to kick their fans out of an arena before a show was over under the guise of an angle, hold no more official events for the rest of the year (6 more months at that point), ask them to follow 7 new random indy promotions (clues to the births of the companies coming from a city-wide scavenger hunt) that themselves would one-by-one shut down over the course of 6 more months, and then expect them to care when the company finally comes back and returns to normal.

He wanted to do something that hadn't been done in wrestling before. Which to be fair, it hadn't.

Because nobody besides Quack was idiotic enough to kick their fans out of an arena before a show was over under the guise of an angle, hold no more official events for the rest of the year (6 more months at that point), ask them to follow 7 new random indy promotions (clues to the births of the companies coming from a city-wide scavenger hunt) that themselves would one-by-one shut down over the course of 6 more months, and then expect them to care when the company finally comes back and returns to normal.
What impact has that had on current Chikara? Did they lose a bunch of talent and struggle to get attendance numbers back up to previous levels?

That was cool but ridiculous and even more convoluted than the Canadian Destroyer, even more ridiculous that it didn't end the match.

Her not being a part of WWE/NXT must be her choice at this point though. Especially with the company's hard-on for multi-generation stars and Triple H being such a big Flair/Horsemen mark.

EDIT: Oh yeah, there was a rumor back in February when they were prepping Tough Enough that she was offered a spot.

miserable

a preview of WK10:

okatanay0yhy.gif

Comparing Nash to Andre, fucking hell. Too early in the morning for this ridiculous shit.

Also, Quack is insane. I love how he drove everyone who wasn't a CHIKARA superfan away from the product and still tries to spin the whole thing as a success. I went from purchasing most CHIKARA shows to watching nothing from the promotion, great job, Quack!

Jamie OD

It's a damn shame to see Chikara deflate like this. I was a huge fan of the company but man oh man did it fall apart. They really did have their head up it's own ass with storyline continuity but nobody else ever tried to use that much detail so I enjoyed it up until they took the year off. Been ages since I watched anything from them but I hear they ditched Smart Mark Video to produce the shows in-house and it hasn't turned out well.

tm24

Man such a drag. Fenix is such a great cusser too. Nothing cracks me up harder than him and pentagon saying chinga tu madre. Its like, does your mom know you say that to each other?

Didn't Tna use a ton of licenced music?

WWE ain't paying for anything

No. TNA has always had originals written in 5 minutes or knock offs so bad it would make Jimmy Hart cringe. Half of their entrance music was actually knock offs of the WCW knock offs. I don't recall them ever using licensed music before Doll Parts. They did official theme song of the PPV stuff, so maybe that's where you're getting that from.

Oh we're talking CHIKARA now?

It's party time.

Today, on "Quack is an ass":

Fenix cursed during Team AAA's KOT match tonight. At intermission everybody but Fenix was selling merch (he had it out temporarily but removed it and looked pissed about doing so). Fans recognized what was going on and started chanting what he said in protest/solidarity, and were kicked out for doing so

This has happened before, with one of the minis from Mexico, El Perrithito, I think. He said chinga tu madre, and when the crowd didn't get it, then said fuck your mother. ...He wasn't brought back.

Wait a no cursing policy at a show that no kids attend?

Plus doing all of that promotion for a show that's sold out and no IPPV streaming at a venue that's way to small

It's been a long standing rule for a while, and it's usually gone over in meetings when there's a lot of new talent, but most people would just chalk it up to being in the heat of the moment and move on. But not Quack!

Also, while Easton is nice, it is rather small, and it seems like they're having issues filling it this time (hence why they changed the setup). I don't remember if KOT last year was on iPPV, but they definitely don't have the capabilities now, since it's all being filmed/produced in house.

You guys should ask Bronson about his time in Chikara. Sure he has some stories.

I've got stories out the goddamn asshole. Like that time I nearly had a FallingEdge size Polish security guard try to kill me, or when Jon Barber barfed in my car, and rolled out of my car into a ditch a block away from the Easton venue, or that time I filmed a show at The Trocadero with no notice after just finishing the pre-show because Smart Mark's cameras wouldn't work with GoFightLive

CuTJmVC.png

Nice of the 4th grade class to help with the set

Oh man, I can't hate. I don't like the guy's sets, but they are decent production stuff/that's the look they want. The set they had at the relaunch looked good.

What impact has that had on current Chikara? Did they lose a bunch of talent and struggle to get attendance numbers back up to previous levels?

They lost a good portion of talent, and while the numbers were solid on returning, they're...not great now?

Also, for the record, while all the Wrestling Is/Ashes shit was storyline, that was specifically done because they could not run CHIKARA shows for that period of time. That part was legit.

It's a damn shame to see Chikara deflate like this. I was a huge fan of the company but man oh man did it fall apart. They really did have their head up it's own ass with storyline continuity but nobody else ever tried to use that much detail so I enjoyed it up until they took the year off. Been ages since I watched anything from them but I hear they ditched Smart Mark Video to produce the shows in-house and it hasn't turned out well.

The storyline continuity was great, but then they went and did that, and it kind of pissed everyone off.

I've seen bits of the in-house produced showed. Cameramen are sitting down. The audio mix is terrible. Editing is bad. Camera shots don't match, color grade wise.

...I would buy them if I were you!

Fox318

It was a storyline. A company "bought" Chikara and shut it down. Then there was kidnappings and scavenger hunts and bootleg wrestling events.

This article is a good primer

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/the-true-story-behind-the-craziest-pro-wrestling-stunt-ever

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2014/02/07/the-rebirth-of-chikara/
Wow

If I was a somebody working with them like an event planner or a venue I would never work for this carny ass company again.

Wow

If I was a somebody working with them like an event planner or a venue I would never work for this carny ass company again.

From a story telling and character perspective, it's pretty damn unique. But from a business standpoint and people who depend on you for pay? It's pretty shitty to fuck with some people for the sake of a dumb wrestling story for a niche crowd.

Gonzalez

Banned
Also, for the record, while all the Wrestling Is/Ashes shit was storyline, that was specifically done because they could not run CHIKARA shows for that period of time. That part was legit.

Any truth to the rumor that the closing had anything to do with his divorce?

Fox318

I knew practically nothing about Chikara before the fenix shit and now

Ughhh

It seems so dumb.

Maybe I'm missing something but aside from some of the talent that are working there everything else is cringe enducing

King of Trios might not have any kids there, but there will be at least one at Battle Wars 2, wearing her Fire Ant mask and Fire Ant t-shirt. Even though when we went to Battle Wars 1, one of the faces, Matthew Palmer, got on the mic and said he was going to stab a heel in the fucking neck with a butcher knife. As faces do.

From a story telling and character perspective, it's pretty damn unique. But from a business standpoint and people who depend on you for pay? It's pretty shitty to fuck with some people for the sake of a dumb wrestling story for a niche crowd.

That would imply people don't get paid garbage anyway :p

The unfortunate reality for a lot of CHIKARA guys is that while they're trained in the specific style, it's so inverted and awkward compared to actual lucha, that they can't really do much over there. They also are usually pretty bad at stuff outside of CHIKARA, unless they've gotten training elsewhere.

Any truth to the rumor that the closing had anything to do with his divorce?

Eh...there's a reason why that was the prevailing rumor the whole time and that Quack specifically addressed it a whole bunch of times, which he never wants to do.

Mind you, he also did an interview a week before the show where they closed down (when rumors and shit had come out that this was the last show), and specifically denied it all, so don't trust anything.

Maybe I'm missing something but aside from some of the talent that are working there everything else is cringe enducing

It was very fun back in the day.

shaowebb

Lol, this shit again, I filmed this. Was the first wrestling show I ever filmed.

And that shit went super viral. Totally because of me. And nobody else! #BronsonMe

Is this how Fox turns on Cesaro?

Hey Fox, did you know Cesaro was my pro wrestling trainer?

He was a total jerk. He did such cruel things like teach me how to bump without killing myself, post on body slams, take back body drops without dying, and then
run me over in my own car! AFTER he threw me through a plate glass window!

Caderfix

I've just got back into wrestling, so things are weird right now.

Do people actually don't like Daniel Bryan? Why?

Do people really act as if KO is shit just because he's fat?

Wasn't Adam Rose a party boy? What happened?

Why is Eva Marie being pushed so hard? She's not a good wrestler, that I know, but is she charismatic or something?

Lucha Underground is awesome, just, AWESOME. I heard the ratings were ok, so there might be a season 2, is there any sort of confirmation regarding season 2?

More that his fans were so annoying that people are happy he's gone so they'll stop ruining the shows. I don't think anyone really dislikes Bryan, but most don't want him to come back only to die/Kurt Angle himself in the ring.

Again, just to annoy his annoying fans. Most people are fans of KO, but look at him. How can you pretend like his body isn't a talking point?

Dunno. He got serious for a bit, seemed like he might be going back to Leo Kruger and then vanished.

Why is Eva Marie being pushed so hard? She's not a good wrestler, that I know, but is she charismatic or something?

She's not being pushed hard. She's had 3 matches in NXT. She's getting extra attention because she's part of Total Divas and all of this stuff will be part of the show. She's also put in a lot of work and clearly improved a lot, even if she's not particularly good still. It's mostly just online fans being hateful assholes make it seem like she's getting a much bigger push than she is.

I've just got back into wrestling, so things are weird right now.

Lucha Underground is awesome, just, AWESOME. I heard the ratings were ok, so there might be a season 2, is there any sort of confirmation regarding season 2?

Danny is a cripple who endangered himself and some of us (myself included) are bitter that he'd rather go see some shamans rather than proper professional help. Stop doing high impact moves.

KO just looks a little out of place on the main roster. Compare him to the guys he's been paired with since coming up. Cena. Orton. Cesaro. And that six man tag..? He's a super talented guy and I love his work on the mic as well as his theme. Honestly, he can keep the same mass, I just think if his arms were at least toned and he didn't have a t-shirt tan, I'd be a little more welcoming of his look. Also the jokes are funny in moderation.

Adam Rose sucks.

Total Divas.

Someone posted that they're in talks about something, I dont pay attention to LU so someone else will have to cover that one.

Top Bottom