• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

Mahonay

Banned
Stang trying his hardest to sell the scripted promos they give him makes me sad.

You can tell he's giving it his all, but you can't beat shit writing.
Add to that coming right off of HHH going over him at Mania.

There were lots of people interested in seeing Sting coming to WWE at some point, but not like this.

Who is this for? They are disappointing old school Sting fans. And new fans that don't even know who Sting is.

You can feel the embarrassment for Waltman through the screen.

You just got #Worked by Sandow

tumblr_nihkq499yu1sbzhteo1_400.gif

DMczaf

Add to that coming right off of HHH going over him at Mania.

There were lots of people interested in seeing Sting coming to WWE at some point, but not like this.

Who is this for? They are disappointing old school Sting fans. And new fans that don't even know who Sting is.

Well the one thing they've changed since WM31 is that they are pushing him as "THE ICON!" and "MULTI-TIME WORLD CHAMPION!", but that's because they fucking jobbed him in his first match and have nothing positive to talk about during his WWE run.

Maybe by this time next year they will let him just do his Crow Stang thing.

He had his push "ruined" by not being ready. You think they would have booed him if he wasn't shit?

Yes. Absolutely. The year before they were hot as fuck for Roman until they figured out that it wasn't going to be Bryan in the top spot. They fans would have booed anyone that wasn't Bryan, which they did, for entire shows. The quality of Roman's matches had absolutely nothing to do with fans turning on him. It was the perception that he was "Vince's guy" and was stealing Bryan's push.

Fuck, can you imagine the backlash if Bryan didn't get injured and Brock demolished him instead of Cena at Summerslam? People would have had actual protests.

The fans wanted Bryan to win that Rumble, given he was extremely over and had been the main babyface for the prior months (as well as a lot of other factors). Then he wasn't even in it, and it was made clear he was not going to be getting the big match at WM, instead Batista randomly reappears to get it.

It's like if in January 1998, everyone is ready for Stone Cold to win the Rumble and go on to WM 14 to ascend to the top. Then Stone Cold isn't even in the Rumble, and it's won by the Ultimate Warrior.

What a 1998 that would have been for the One Warrior Nation!

2014 was more the fans wanting Bryan and 2015 was the fans not wanting Roman. What's 2016 going to be?

Caderfix

I have so much respect for Sting. It was really sad seeing him putting so much effort into that "HHH is love, HHH is life" promo, but I honestly belive his WWE run will be good.

Vylash

once upon a time there was a little boy named Roman Reigns, wham bam thank you ma'am he knocked the giant's teeth down his throat!

DMczaf

Sting appeared on Jim Ross’ podcast The Ross Report recently to talk about his career winding down.

During the conversation Jim Ross said that there was a very short list of names that he’d want to come back to call their last match. He told Sting that his name was on the list. Sting let him know that he felt the same way.

“The feeling is mutual,” Sting said. “If I could have anyone on the face of this Earth to call my last match, it would be Jim Ross. If I get my way, if I get what I want, that’s what’s going to happen.”

Ross then joked that he was available and works cheap.

“You can’t say ‘the young kid from Venice Beach’ anymore, though. You’ll have to be more creative,” Sting joked.

:*)

Roman sure was hot after the Shield break-up. Who can forget classic moments like when he roofied stephanie mcmahon? or his big show feud? I still get shivers when I remember how he compared the big show to the giant in jack and the beanstalk, or those cute gun noises when he compared himself to superman. Sufferin' Succotash son!

Ithil

Yes. Absolutely. The year before they were hot as fuck for Roman until they figured out that it wasn't going to be Bryan in the top spot. They fans would have booed anyone that wasn't Bryan, which they did, for entire shows. The quality of Roman's matches had absolutely nothing to do with fans turning on him. It was the perception that he was "Vince's guy" and was stealing Bryan's push.

Fuck, can you imagine the backlash if Bryan didn't get injured and Brock demolished him instead of Cena at Summerslam? People would have had actual protests.

So you fully believe that if Reigns had been having great promos, great singles matches, actually had a compelling character and story in the months leading up to the Rumble, they would have booed?

Mahonay

Banned
It breaks my heart to say this but Cesaro ain't never breaking that upper-midcard ceiling.

I feel like they're already letting his momentum slip through their fingers. He's been hot as fuck this past month and WWE didn't quite leap onto it like I wish they would have. And I'm seeing a lot of "insert-name-here section" signs from fans for other wrestlers now, which honestly I think is pretty shitty since it takes the heat off of our Swiss dreamboat. Like, he's still doing well right now but I know WWE booking well enough where it seems like interest is already waning.

The time for main event Cesaro is just about out.

EDIT: I did skip this past RAW because fuck watching RAW. Is that a still image from this Monday? If so, awesome.

Caderfix

Wasn't the match basically "Let Brock beat the ever loving shit out of you for 20 mins"?

Followed by a little come back, yeah. Roman took 300 suplexes and F5s and kept going. It felt extremelly forced and got boring really fast, to me.

The good part was the shock when Seth cashed in.

I don't get the love that match receives.

It breaks my heart to say this but Cesaro ain't never breaking that upper-midcard ceiling.

I feel like they're already letting his momentum slip through their hands. He's been hot as fuck last month and WWE didn't quite leap onto it like I wish they would have. And I'm seeing a lot of "insert-name-here section" signs from fans for other wrestlers now, which honestly I think is pretty shitty since it takes the heat off of our Swiss dreamboat. Like, he's still doing well right now but I know WWE booking well enough where it seems like interest is already waning.

EDIT: I did skip this past RAW because fuck watching RAW. Is that a still image from this Monday? If so, awesome.

When you revolve a guys entire character around what he does in the ring, then he lives and dies by whether he wins or loses. "Oh he put on a good match" and that's it. He needs more of a character than that.

Also that picture is a few years old.

Mahonay

Banned
When you revolve a guys entire character around what he does in the ring, then he lives and dies by whether he wins or loses. "Oh he put on a good match" and that's it. He needs more of a character than that.

Also that picture is a few years old.
Wish they'd actually write a story for him. Giving him the mic once in a while and seeing if he sinks or swims is not how you get a character over.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So you fully believe that if Reigns had been having great promos, great singles matches, actually had a compelling character and story in the months leading up to the Rumble, they would have booed?

I believe that. I balee...Verendus where are you

As much as we hated the idea of Roman v Brock at WM31, you gotta admit it ended up being a stellar match.

It was fun in a schadenfreude way at the time, but it's not the historical spectacle that was Cena/Brock. Now I look back on it and I feel bad for Roman, and even worse seeing Seth nazi-sympathizer Rollins win the belt over him and Brock.

From the dirt sheets

WWE World Heavyweight and United States Champion Seth Rollins was off weekend live events as he was on vacation with his girlfriend, former WWE NXT Diva Zahra Schreiber, in the Dominican Republic. Rollins is headed back today for Monday's RAW in Baltimore.

#FireRollins

As much as we hated the idea of Roman v Brock at WM31, you gotta admit it ended up being a stellar match.

The match was awful. It was boring as hell. BUT that's what made the ending so good. They booked it like how we all thought it was going to be, Roman would somehow manage to rise to the occasion after a beating etc; and I was so bored and upset at this, that I forgot about Seth. His music hit and I perked right up. The fact that it WAS shit, helped make the end of that match much more exciting. Especially the whole "oh god Seth is going to get F-5'd... he's gonna fail"

That being said we got two "happy endings" in a row. Bryan and Seth. For smarks anyways. Both cases of WWE listening to their fans, on the biggest night of them all. Not Batista, Not Roman. Bryan and Seth.

I feel like they're already letting his momentum slip through their fingers. He's been hot as fuck this past month and WWE didn't quite leap onto it like I wish they would have. And I'm seeing a lot of "insert-name-here section" signs from fans for other wrestlers now, which honestly I think is pretty shitty since it takes the heat off of our Swiss dreamboat. Like, he's still doing well right now but I know WWE booking well enough where it seems like interest is already waning.

Being a fan of his is pretty annoying. This is the sorta booking that made me stop giving any shit about Ziggler and made me start hating him, honestly. Just constantly getting so close just to be shoved back so many times just takes the wind out of some fans' care for them. There have been plenty of times Cesaro has been white hot, and WWE give him jack shit to work with. They even took away his swing at one point. Dumb.

Anth0ny

Wasn't the match basically "Let Brock beat the ever loving shit out of you for 20 mins"?

yeah. it was his match vs. john cena 2.0.

a fucking beast beating the shit out of an unlikeable character. it wasn't a great scientific match, but it sure as fuck was satisfying to watch.

VYjAA7P.gif

That being said we got two "happy endings" in a row. Bryan and Seth. For smarks anyways. Both cases of WWE listening to their fans, on the biggest night of them all. Not Batista, Not Roman. Bryan and Seth.

It's true, and they both turned out to be busts in different ways.

Take the wheel, Vince, I won't argue you with you next time.

Roman Reings body is good, he is not in Leakee shape anymore:

b6b97c1c26e2914db8afc69d5bca7f5e_crop_north.jpg

He just needs to drop that stupid vest and burn that horrible symbol.

Also make him a dominant face, I hate that he haves little offense in his one on one matches.

Top Bottom