• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

Hex

Banned
andersonofih.gif

Arn had a great fucking DDT.

So you fully believe that if Reigns had been having great promos, great singles matches, actually had a compelling character and story in the months leading up to the Rumble, they would have booed?

Yes. As evidenced by how they completely eased up and crowds were generally favorable to him from Fastlane on when they realized Bryan wasn't going to be around and really shouldn't get that top spot. The booing for Roman now is in smark areas like NYC and Philly, who are going to boo just about every face that didn't come from the indies or Japan.

His promos when they weren't weird fairytale stuff were good. In the match with Bryan, he was clearly the better performer on every level that night. I have no idea why they let Bryan come back when he clearly wasn't back to normal. Anyone but Bryan was going to take the L, because wrestling fans don't things on the story they're told, but on the story they WISH they were told. Which is stupid.

Ithil

Yes. As evidenced by how they completely eased up and crowds were generally favorable to him from Fastlane on when they realized Bryan wasn't going to be around and really shouldn't get that top spot. The booing for Roman now is in smark areas like NYC and Philly, who are going to boo just about every face that didn't come from the indies or Japan.

His promos when they weren't weird fairytale stuff were good. In the match with Bryan, he was clearly the better performer on every level that night. I have no idea why they let Bryan come back when he clearly wasn't back to normal.

Eased up? They didn't give a shit about him. Nearly everyone was pointing out how ice cold he was going into WM. If that's generally favourable to you, I don't know what to say.
The "stupid millennial smarks only cheer indies!" narrative is getting old.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's pretty much the whole week...

Yeah, but the rest of the week its ironically posted (god I hope) pictures of promo posters for indy events taking place in the auditorium of a technical high school. Those at least take less time to load.

His promos when they weren't weird fairytale stuff were good. In the match with Bryan, he was clearly the better performer on every level that night. I have no idea why they let Bryan come back when he clearly wasn't back to normal. Anyone but Bryan was going to take the L, because wrestling fans don't things on the story they're told, but on the story they WISH they were told. Which is stupid.

The answer to that question has always been a lot more "Daniel Bryan" than people want to admit.

Eased up? They didn't give a shit about him. Nearly everyone was pointing out how ice cold he was going into WM.
The "stupid millennial smarks only cheer indies!" narrative is getting old.

Do you watch Raw every week? Roman gets the biggest reactions outside of anyone but Cena, Brock, and Sting. And only one of those three is on TV every week.

Ithil

Do you watch Raw every week? Roman gets the biggest reactions outside of anyone but Cena, Brock, and Sting. And only one of those three is on TV every week.

We're talking about WM here, and the idea that WWE were right to ram Reigns into that top spot pretending he was Stone Cold in 1998. It was a total failure so evidently they weren't right.
Also, I like that you make sure to discount any cities that do boo Reigns as "smark cities", which apparently makes them not count.

We're talking about WM here, and the idea that WWE were right to ram Reigns into that top spot pretending he was Stone Cold in 1998. It was a total failure so evidently they weren't right.
Also, I like that you make sure to discount any cities that do boo Reigns as "smark cities", which apparently makes them not count.

Rollins has been a total failure. They should have stuck to their guns and gone with Roman instead of intentionally cooling him off and shoving him back down the card to ride out the Bryan shit. Smark cities shouldn't count for general audience reactions. Put the Vaudvillians in front of a big crowd anywhere between Ohio and Arizona and see how dead silent the reaction is. When every city except well known smark cities that have been cheering against the grain since the 70s are the only crowds that are even 60% booing Roman, that should be taken into consideration.

I wouldn't say Roman was better than Bryan in the ring that night (that isnt to say either of them were bad; the match itself was fantastic), but I agree that the crowd was fervently anti-anything but Bryan.

I don't think the crowd was as anti-Reigns as most think though. In the build up to Fastlane Bryan was getting booed too, people were split. Reigns wasn't getting terribly negative reactions, he hasn't even came close to the Rumble or Mania reactions. People were still cheering for him. What cooled people on him was his mini-feud with Big Show and terrible promos in-between.

Ithil

Rollins has been a total failure. They should have stuck to their guns and gone with Roman instead of intentionally cooling him off and shoving him back down the card to ride out the Bryan shit. Smark cities shouldn't count for general audience reactions. Put the Vaudvillians in front of a big crowd anywhere between Ohio and Arizona and see how dead silent the reaction is. When every city except well known smark cities that have been cheering against the grain since the 70s are the only crowds that are even 60% booing Roman, that should be taken into consideration.

Sticking to their guns is one of the dumbest things they do, because they do it to the point of insanity. You're advocating that in 1997, Rocky Maivia is completely lame and not over, in fact crowds are vehemently against him, so the solution is to push him even harder, change nothing about him, and just wait for it to work out. I mean, some of the kids in the house show crowds cheer him, that means the people chanting DIE ROCKY DIE don't count. I have reports you know!

The big problem I've had with this Reigns push was that it always felt like they simply decided for their arbitrary reasons that this was definitely going to be the next top guy, and to push him as that no matter what. Not because there were heavy signs it would work, or that he was a top performer or really over, they just decided on a conclusion and tried to pull themselves towards that.
They're doing the same on a smaller scale with Eva Marie. They've settled on the end result being "Eva Marie becomes great and proves her critics wrong", and are just off on that road, even though they have no indication it's going to work, and she might never actually get good, or popular.

Mahonay

Banned
I don't think the crowd was as anti-Reigns as most think though. In the build up to Fastlane Bryan was getting booed too, people were split. Reigns wasn't getting terribly negative reactions, he hasn't even came close to the Rumble or Mania reactions. People were still cheering for him. What cooled people on him was his mini-feud with Big Show and terrible promos in-between.
Bryan was being booed by Reigns fans. It didn't happen any other time. Also he was being booked like a total prick which was really out of character. The story around the match was strange. Bryan being forced into the picture to try and salvage things was super obvious. I think even the marks felt insulted.

Reigns is STILL getting a fair amount of boos on a weekly basis on RAW. Come on dude.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The "Rollins is a failure" talk is worse than "does Roman deserve a top spot" talk.

Its just horrible because its so blatantly off base. Rollins has been great. Weasel heel who won the title doing a weasel heel thing is doing weasel heel things and then people go "why is he a weasel heel." I am shock

Verendus

Banned
Really, it's all Joan Cena's fault. If WWE hadn't spent 10 years abusing a vocal portion of their fanbase, maybe they wouldn't be so adverse to anyone they so much as think might be chosen by the company.

Batista didn't get a backlash going from a mid-carder, without much of a run, to the top booked star in the company in a manner of a few months. Sure he had one of the best storylines ever, but that simply wouldn't fly today. That's because fans hadn't been battered so much during that time like they have now. Batista was destroying darlings like Jericho and Voldermort on the way to becoming the most over star in the company, and fans were behind it all the way. Futher hilarious because the Cena backlash began with Chris Jericho of all people.

So yeah, I think I've just Sherlock'd it all in this one post.

Joan Cena did this.

He ruined Roman Reign's rise to stardom.

The ONE MAN was screwed. Roman Reigns vs. John Cena at Wrestlemania 32. Where there can finally be some REDEMPTION.

Ithil

Cena backlash started pre-WM 21. Even at WM 21 there's a healthy amount of booing for him in that crummy match he had with JBL.

Sweet, the next GLORY show is a joint GLORY/Bellator show from the SAP Center in San Jose, and it will be shown on Spike. Tito Ortiz has a fight on the card.

tito_tna.0_standard_352.0.jpg

DMczaf

Remember when Edge won the world title for the first time and Raw ratings increased significantly for the several weeks he was champion?

But then they rushed to put the belt back on Cena because Vince already had the WM main event booked.

Top Bottom