• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

Mahonay

Banned
I think it was a mistake in not having Big E retain his 5 Count thing during his single's run.
Caused him fall pretty flat for a while during his initial main roster run. To no surprise putting the IC title on him didn't help any.

I'm so insanely happy he's able to put his personality on display again with The New Day gimmick. He's been fucking fantastic.
Russev is fine. He's right now playing the extremely rare wrestling role of unstoppable monster comedy heel.
Rusev has been great lately too. Sure, that feud is really fucking dumb in a lot of ways. But Rusev is carrying it on his own.

Fox318

4zJoZD8.png

Even in web polls HHH is overbooked

http://www.wwe.com/inside/polls/is-seth-rollins-just-as-good-as-triple-h-in-his-prime

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The insane thing is that all this build with Rollins leads me to want a match between HHH...and former UNITED STATES CHAMPION JOHN CENA.

I actually completely missed their entire in ring careers against each other, so I don't have any preconceived notions of what that match would look like.

KingBroly

Banned
The easiest way to get smarks/marks to cheer for Roman Reigns is: Put him against John Cena.

EVERYONE they put against Cena gets cheered these days. Wyatt, Owens, Rollins, Rusev. The list goes on. I cannot understand how they haven't sent Reigns out against Cena yet in singles competition. It's the magical gateway drug to facehood.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The easiest way to get smarks/marks to cheer for Roman Reigns is: Put him against John Cena.

EVERYONE they put against Cena gets cheered these days. Wyatt, Owens, Rollins, Rusev. The list goes on. I cannot understand how they haven't sent Reigns out against Cena yet in singles competition. It's the magical gateway drug to facehood.

I actually think that if they did this tomorrow night on RAW...that they'd cheer Cena.

Mahonay

Banned

I actually think that if they did this tomorrow night on RAW...that they'd cheer Cena.
Yep. Cena is WAY more loved than Reigns. Smarks were behind the other guys you listed.

Would you say WWE completely fucking up that tidal wave of "this is the future" talent with the likes of Punk, Cesaro, Bryan, Ziggler, Cody, Miz and others might be causing you to feel negatively about Bryan today?

I wasn't nearly as invested into any of those guys like I was Bryan so that's probably why it stings more for me.

Cesaro is still salvageable and Miz can be put into a main event program with a champion babyface anytime and make it work. Dare I say he should be in Rollins position right now. If The Authority is the new Corporation and Bryan was Austin, Miz could have easily been the Rock.

I like where Cody is taking the Stardust thing and Ziggler actually always sucked so that's not a big loss. Punk got a relatively good deal in his run although not without legit gripes. It is what it is.

Mahonay

Banned
I wasn't nearly as invested into any of those guys like I was Bryan so that's probably why it stings more for me.

Cesaro is still salvageable and Miz can be put into a main event program with a champion babyface anytime and make it work. Dare I say he should be in Rollins position right now. If The Authority is the new Corporation and Bryan was Austin, Miz could have easily been the Rock.

I like where Cody is taking the Stardust thing and Ziggler actually always sucked so that's not a big loss. Punk got a relatively good deal in his run although not without legit gripes. It is what it is.
Got it. Yeah it was really there for the taking, but the sheer "we don't give a fuck" booking attitude of WWE won out instead of a great period of wrestling taking over.

Also I'd agree that presently Ziggler is being exposed as maybe not that great. I don't know how much of that is out of a lack of motivation, or just an inability to evolved as a performer.

Mizerman

Caused him fall pretty flat for a while during his initial main roster run. To no surprise putting the IC title on him didn't help any.

I'm so insanely happy he's able to put his personality on display again with The New Day gimmick. He's been fucking fantastic.

At the very least, he's doing something. Especially Kofi who needed something fresh at that time.

Two things might happen: Either fans would cheer Cena by proxy, or both would get booed. While Cena has that "love me or hate me" routine and could deflect boos to an extent, it would do more harm than good in Reigns' case.

I'm pretty sure Cena would get cheered over Reigns just from the goodwill he's accumulated from the US title run and the brightspots he's given over the years. Reigns doesn't have anything like that outside of the Shield, obviously because it hasn't been long.

Mahonay

Banned
I'm pretty sure Cena would get cheered over Reigns just from the goodwill he's accumulated from the US title run and the brightspots he's given over the years. Reigns doesn't have anything like that outside of the Shield, obviously because it hasn't been long.
I sort of remember Ambrose wrestling Cena for the U.S. Open challenge early on. Was the crowd hot for Ambrose or just indifferent? I want to say Ambrose was coming off one of his shitty feuds, maybe the one with Wyatt.

I sort of remember Ambrose wrestling Cena for the U.S. Open challenge early on. Was the crowd hot for Ambrose or just indifferent? I want to say Ambrose was coming off one of his shitty feuds, maybe the one with Wyatt.

I wanna say that was the night after Mania? If that's the case I'd expect them to be pretty hot, even if he just came off that hot potato IC title story.

The best thing about the Dirtbike Kid incident is that he's still bitter as fuck about it and can occasionally be seen on britwres message boards telling his side of the story. Basically, he's an idiot and it never occurred to him that unmasking in the first round of a tournament where the ultimate loser had to unmask wouldn't be a good idea. He also found out first-hand that Japanese promotions aren't fond of paying medical bills after you piss them off, more recently discovered by Low Ki.

Ithil

Crowds are more than capable of booing two people at once.

Mizerman

Yeah, the crowd was definitely pro Ambrose during that match. It was a decent match, though.

Oh, yes, who could forget Cena/Orton at last year's Rumble?

That was something to behold. No mixed reaction, or "let's go Randy" in that building. Both got shitted on big time.

The only thing with Big E is that having him in the comedy heel group may relegate him to the midcard ghetto for a while. However, I think he's grown into an excellent talent and has a real main event run in him if they want to utilize it.

Steiner Sunday so I started up Steinermania and realized Scott Steiner was the founder of suplex city in his match with Triple H

I don't care if anyone did it before him

Mizerman

The only thing with Big E is that having him in the comedy heel group may relegate him to the midcard ghetto for a while. However, I think he's grown into an excellent talent and has a real main event run in him if they want to utilize it.

True. Though it was probably either that or Woods and Big E would just be floundering in the roster with Kofi being the Intercontinental or US champion for the umpteenth time with little fanfare.

Steiner Sunday so I started up Steinermania and realized Scott Steiner was the founder of suplex city in his match with Triple H

I don't care if anyone did it before him

With the greatest move in Steiner's slot: The Legendary Double-Underhook-What-The-Fuck-Was-That?!

Mahonay

Banned
Outside of Brock who on the WWE roster would be the best in a shoot fight
Samoa Joe maybe. That raw strength and quickness. Also I have a feeling he can take punches pretty well.

Jason Jordan? Big athletic dude who's an amazing shoot wrestler.

Top Bottom