• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| The one night a year when every table will be on the line

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The writing was on the wall they were gonna get Lana and Summer Rae to fight

klonere

Banned
Puppets are what we have now.
JBL is honestly just embarrassing, Cole will try but then gets buried, and the other seat may as well be empty.
None of them give a shit about what is going on in the ring that is for sure.

The worst is when you listen to any late 1998, early 1999 WWE stuff when JR was off from his bout of Bell's Palsy. You realize that this is the turning point in commentary where instead of having someone with an established personality and defined voice, you have a more or less outsider in Michael Cole who is putty in Vince McMahon's/Dunn's hands.

Seriously watching Rock Bottom 1998 and Cole interjects during a Mankind promo, simply to refer to Survivor Series 1998 as "The Biggest Betrayal in WWF history" in the most Michael Cole, lifeless, branded statement manner possible. It wasn't witty or didn't add color or fill in something that the audience might not know but was a distracting, painfully scripted throwaway line that had no reason to be there in the midst of a great promo.

Recall

JR and Jerry stood up to Vince several times about different topics and I could never imagine Michael Cole doing the same. There is no personality or relatable trait just a yes man with little to no integrity.

The Beast in the East show was the best Michael Cole commentary ever. He called the show in his way but it was very evident there was no one yelling at him in an earpiece as it allowed him to actually display knowledge and not force everything.

Hex

Banned
The worst is when you listen to any late 1998, early 1999 WWE stuff when JR was off from his bout of Bell's Palsy. You realize that this is the turning point in commentary where instead of having someone with an established personality and defined voice, you have a more or less outsider in Michael Cole who is putty in Vince McMahon's/Dunn's hands.

Seriously watching Rock Bottom 1998 and Cole interjects during a Mankind promo, simply to refer to Survivor Series 1998 as "The Biggest Betrayal in WWF history" in the most Michael Cole, lifeless, branded statement manner possible. It wasn't witty or didn't add color or fill in something that the audience might not know but was a distracting, painfully scripted throwaway line that had no reason to be there in the midst of a great promo.

Absolutely.
It definitely was around the time when they tried to give a hard push to catch phrases or marketing phrases for everything whether it was a stupid assed nickname for a performer or for an event. All very unnatural and forced in.

Jamie OD

Paige Vs Sasha is happening on Raw tonight. To be honest I'm not expecting much from this. Just Paige shouting "This is my house!" over and over like she's a Pokémon or something.

JR and Jerry stood up to Vince several times about different topics and I could never imagine Michael Cole doing the same. There is no personality or relatable trait just a yes man with little to no integrity.

The Beast in the East show was the best Michael Cole commentary ever. He called the show in his way but it was very evident there was no one yelling at him in an earpiece as it allowed him to actually display knowledge and not force everything.

Is there any evidence you have of Cole just never standing up to Vince? He does have a personality. His job isn't to show his personality on Raw. His job is to be that bland stater of facts type announcer that most sports commentators in sports are now. He's good at the job he's asked to do. People must never have had real jobs who say stuff like this. You don't just "stand up to your boss" and expect your job to stay safe. Go to work tomorrow and tell your boss, "no, this is stupid, I'm not going to do/say that".

pr-1024x685.png

Loved that match, Jimmy pretty much made Robbo with that performance. Really interested to see where Havoc goes from here, he's one of the most nuanced characters in wrestling today.

CDiggity

Paige Vs Sasha is happening on Raw tonight. To be honest I'm not expecting much from this. Just Paige shouting "This is my house!" over and over like she's a Pokémon or something.

No no no, if we are only doing Paige's actions it'll go, side kick, hair pull/toss (probably resulting in a pulled out weave), fallaway slam THEN "This is my house". And because there is no way I see the heel going over clean in this match, it'll then be Sasha fighting back for a bit and then Paige counters one move into the finisher of her choosing.

Match may go outside the ring if time is allowed.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I bet there's a cure for Colles fracture but THEY don't want us to have it.
It's funny that an anti-vax person would believe there are mind controlling chemical agents or other negative properties inside a cure where as a conspiracy theorist simply believes that there is a cure with no downsides to it other than entities withholding it because evil.

Aiii

So not worth it
Is there any evidence you have of Cole just never standing up to Vince? He does have a personality. His job isn't to show his personality on Raw. His job is to be that bland stater of facts type announcer that most sports commentators in sports are now. He's good at the job he's asked to do. People must never have had real jobs who say stuff like this. You don't just "stand up to your boss" and expect your job to stay safe. Go to work tomorrow and tell your boss, "no, this is stupid, I'm not going to do/say that".

I studied for four years and have eight years of experience in my current job, not counting the fact that I've technically been doing what is now my job since age 14ish. I tell my boss when one of his suggestions is stupid and will lose us money.

Instead of it costing my job, I've been getting raises and appreciation, while I'm sure there are jobs were input is not appreciated, most jobs require you to think critically and your boss should (and will) appreciate you for it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's funny that an anti-vax person would believe there are mind controlling chemical agents or other negative properties inside a cure where as a conspiracy theorist simply believes that there is a cure with no downsides to it other than entities withholding it because evil.

It's hilarious that the anti-vaxers look rational in comparison to the conspiracy nuts who believe anyone in big pharma is withholding the cure to anything. There is so much money in being first to market, literally tens of billions of dollars at times.

Aiii

So not worth it
Lana, you don't wrestle. How did you proof anything?

Sucks that you are injured, but you could have hurt your wrist any number of ways that didn't involve wrestling.

I studied for four years and have eight years of experience in my current job, not counting the fact that I've technically been doing what is now my job since age 14ish. I tell my boss when one of his suggestions is stupid and will lose us money.

Instead of it costing my job, I've been getting raises and appreciation, while I'm sure there are jobs were input is not appreciated, most jobs require you to think critically and your boss should (and will) appreciate you for it.

Does Michael Cole's commentary lose them money? Is there a reason why he'd need to not do what his boss asks him to do?

Aiii

So not worth it
Does Michael Cole's commentary lose them money? Is there a reason why he'd need to not do what his boss asks him to do?

I am sure, Cole actively turned viewers away, yes. Especially during his Heel-period, but even today. WWE commentary is part of why wrestling isn't as fun today as it was before.

I am sure, Cole actively turned viewers away, yes. Especially during his Heel-period, but even today. WWE commentary is part of why wrestling isn't as fun today as it was before.

Are you sure because commentary itself is always mentioning how fun it is
maggle

Cole's heel run, paired with the product at the time was fucking TORTURE. Didn't help that he constantly shit all over the parts that were actually worth watching. Heel Cole was fine, but it went on for far too long and took too much away from the product.

The current team is terrible. Probably the worst it's been in recent memory. Cole has been pretty good, which he better be based on how long he's been at it. JBL is a fucking moron with the most phony ass enthusiasm ever. Can't decide if he wants to be a heel or a face. He'll be pro heel, but can't defend heel tactics and put them over because he's fucking stupid compared to cole. Byron is just a non factor. Nothing. Just echos statements every now and then.

Get rid of Byron and test the waters with heel Corey. Corey and Cole. Bam.

Is there evidence of this? What if Michael Cole doesn't give a shit if the things he says are stupid or bland and he's happy to do what is asked of him? What if people who aren't you don't even notice Cole's commentary positively or negatively (which is the point)? People who weren't watching JR scream for 20 years only have Cole as a reference point. So that's the normal commentary to them.

Fox318

I gave up on wrestling when I heard about Cole's heel run and the raw commentary in general.

Honestly it wasn't until Brock squashed Cena that I took a look back at wrestling.

For the record King was NEVER good at commentary.

He's no Ventura and No Brain.

He was good at playing off of JR

Yep. They weren't the best team, but when they actually tried, the chemistry was there in droves. JR was good for calling the matches and his unmatched enthusiasm and charisma for hyping big spots, and Jerry was the polar opposite. Jim and Jerry represent the two different sides of fans. Jim was the adult, focused on the story and the match itself and Jerry was just a child nagging his dad and pissing him off.

Cole is just generally "Ok" at everything, but he's fucking awful at getting hype. When there's a return or some crazy shit happens, he just turns it on and doesn't give a fuck "OHHH MYYYY!"

WMBT27

Me too, but only because I paid $5.

I only played the last two because I got them to review (hoping for the same this year), but 2K15 was decent.

Seemed like with another round of polish (wishful thinking) this year could be pretty solid. Not No Mercy/WCW Revenge, but solid

Recall

I said "I can't imagine". I didn't state that Michael Cole hasn't stood up to Vince. I simply assumed.

Top Bottom