• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Sure it was your mood that perked up? ;p

Went to some punk rock dive bar in SF last night (with oddly awesome food). I could tell one of the bands was going to be fucking metal when I saw they had a leaf blower on stage.

:lol

that sounds like a party

Sadetar

Nothing like perking up your mood than getting compliment on your clothes/hit on by gay guys in the Castro, lol.
I heartily agree with you there, even though I am fairly sure they weren't cute gays who were complimenting me. SF is one of the best places, if you need an instant ego boost.

gcubed

Finally got the job settled and my relocation information together! I'll be out there permanently by Sept 1st, now I just need to find a place to live...

AcridMeat

Banned
Ah man Felix you're gone. :( Sorry we couldn't get another meet going. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself let us know if you're ever back as well.

Darkatomz

Moving to the Bay at the end of August, beginning of September! More specifically, South Bay (North SJ). Relocating for work from Dallas.

Anyone have any pointers or things that I would need to know? I've already been to SF, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, and SJ for 2 separate weeks on business, but any other bits of information would be nice.

Oh, I'd be down to attend a meetup once I am permanently in the area!

Mairu

I moved back into SF now and I'd like to be a little more social. Next time there's a meetup I'll try to attend :O

Moving to the Bay at the end of August, beginning of September! More specifically, South Bay (North SJ). Relocating for work from Dallas.

Anyone have any pointers or things that I would need to know? I've already been to SF, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, and SJ for 2 separate weeks on business, but any other bits of information would be nice.

Oh, I'd be down to attend a meetup once I am permanently in the area!

North SJ is boring and nothing but tech companies that surrounds new housing developments. Depends what kind of lifestyle you want. Most of South Bay cities are known as "commuters" or "sleepers" because it's a place for work. Palo Alto, Campbell, and downtown Mountain View are probably the most "hip" places in the South Bay.

Don't let Google Maps fool you with that 101 shit, 280 up to the city all the way.

Haha, good advice right there. There is constant construction on 101 between Palo Alto and SF at ALL times of the day for no reason.

AcridMeat

Banned
I'll be back in the bay area this week, would love to have a meet up somewhere if enough are up for it.

I guess next weekend to give more time to plan.

kind of in the same boat, just got a job in SF. does anyone have a good resource for neighborhoods to live in? like where's good, where to avoid, etc. 20's, max somewhere around $1800 probably.

Toki767

kind of in the same boat, just got a job in SF. does anyone have a good resource for neighborhoods to live in? like where's good, where to avoid, etc. 20's, max somewhere around $1800 probably.

Avoid the Tenderloin, Visitation Valley, and Hunter's Point.

Noe Valley or Bernal Heights might be good choices. Do you drive? Where in SF is your job? How close do you want to live to public transportation?

Avoid the Tenderloin, Visitation Valley, and Hunter's Point.

Noe Valley or Bernal Heights might be good choices. Do you drive? Where in SF is your job? How close do you want to live to public transportation?
I don't drive, my job is on Sansome right off Market. Being close to public transportation would be nice, but I don't mind walking or biking

Toki767

I don't drive, my job is on Sansome right off Market. Being close to public transportation would be nice, but I don't mind walking or biking

SoMa if you can afford it, Though I think the best places close to public transportation going to downtown are Noe Valley, Hayes Valley, Pacific Heights, North Beach, NOPA, Cow Hollow/Marina.

Apparently Marina has the highest female to male ratio in the city if that matters to you lol

SoMa if you can afford it, Though I think the best places close to public transportation going to downtown are Noe Valley, Hayes Valley, Pacific Heights, North Beach, NOPA, Cow Hollow/Marina.

Apparently Marina has the highest female to male ratio in the city if that matters to you lol
do you happen to know average prices around there? probably for a studio

Darkatomz

North SJ is boring and nothing but tech companies that surrounds new housing developments. Depends what kind of lifestyle you want. Most of South Bay cities are known as "commuters" or "sleepers" because it's a place for work. Palo Alto, Campbell, and downtown Mountain View are probably the most "hip" places in the South Bay.
Believe me, I really wouldn't mind living in the PA or MV areas, but paying $2k/person with a roommate seemed a little unreasonable for something not that great. Campbell would have been a little too far from work, otherwise I would have considered something that wasn't too far from Santana Row and Willow Glen.

Believe me, I really wouldn't mind living in the PA or MV areas, but paying $2k/person with a roommate seemed a little unreasonable for something not that great. Campbell would have been a little too far from work, otherwise I would have considered something that wasn't too far from Santana Row and Willow Glen.

Campbell is next town over from San Jose. You can find some bungalows in and around Willow Glen and Campbell/Saratoga border. Otherwise, the rest of Willow Glen is damn expensive and weird like that.

A little further down from North SJ closer to the Luna Park/Japantown of SJ is a bit more affordable than Campbell. It's also closer to downtown SJ and light rail/train stations.

Sharp

Hey, SF-GAF. I'll be joining you guys in about a month. I'll be working in SoMa (near Giants stadium). Could I get a decent apartment there for around $2k, or should I sublet / share?

Hm, from the graph I'd be looking at around $2500. That's managable, but I'd prefer a bit less. What's the price difference between a 1BR and a studio?

I already found that, but a lot of the summaries were written in 2002 or 2005 so I don't know how accurate they still are.
They're not too bad - things haven't changed that much in the last ten years. The one from the Bold Italic is deliberately inflammatory, but it's not to say that they're too far off base with some of their generalizations. I think between the two of them you can start to get a rough idea of what the neighborhoods are all about. Ask questions if you have them.

They're not too bad - things haven't changed that much in the last ten years. The one from the Bold Italic is deliberately inflammatory, but it's not to say that they're too far off base with some of their generalizations. I think between the two of them you can start to get a rough idea of what the neighborhoods are all about. Ask questions if you have them.
Well a lot of the summaries mention how people live there after the .com bust which is pretty dated at this point. I guess a couple of places that sound nice are Mission and Lower Haight. is the fog really that bad of a thing in Inner Sunset? for someone who doesn't really mind fog

I guess a couple of places that sound nice are Mission and Lower Haight.
Both fun neighborhoods and you'd have good access to public transportation downtown. It's tough finding something in the Mission these days - it's very competitive.
is the fog really that bad of a thing in Inner Sunset? for someone who doesn't really mind fog
Yes. It's overcast most of the time, in my experience. Something like the Inner Richmond will give you a little more sunshine but it'll still get a fair amount of fog in the Summer.

Both fun neighborhoods and you'd have good access to public transportation downtown. It's tough finding something in the Mission these days - it's very competitive.
Yes. It's overcast most of the time, in my experience. Something like the Inner Richmond will give you a little more sunshine but it'll still get a fair amount of fog in the Summer.
but prices are lower to compensate?

Mairu

I don't care about sunlight so I am pleased with my reasonably affordable tiny studio that I just moved into in the sunset =)

Mairu

that's pretty amazing. I could probably make do with something like that

aa20874d63b818228805abdd28a6b4a3.png

like I said, it's pretty small - good luck with the apartment hunt

gcubed

any tips from relocaters on dealing with the DMV for cars and drivers license? I'm trying to find everything i need and the list of stuff they want is long and confusing.

I'm annoyed because my lease doesn't start until the week of me starting work, but I will be there a few days early, i'm assuming I can't get a DL on my days off a few days prior to my lease starting? I highly doubt it, because i will be forced to go on a weekend and wait hours

I'm annoyed because my lease doesn't start until the week of me starting work, but I will be there a few days early, i'm assuming I can't get a DL on my days off a few days prior to my lease starting? I highly doubt it, because i will be forced to go on a weekend and wait hours
Regarding the DMV, I usually arrive a half hour before they open to get in and out reasonably quickly. The other options is to use a less-busy DMV somewhere other than in the city proper (San Mateo, maybe?) The SF office is a mess.

gcubed

Regarding the DMV, I usually arrive a half hour before they open to get in and out reasonably quickly. The other options is to use a less-busy DMV somewhere other than in the city proper (San Mateo, maybe?) The SF office is a mess.

I'm moving to Foster City, so that is easy for me... have you had luck on weekends with that? I've never had an easy in and out in the Philly suburbs, i expected it to be worse in CA.

Does anyone know about the lease thing? I'd like to deal with it when i'm there before i officially start work, but it would be prior to my lease start date.

I'm moving to Foster City, so that is easy for me... have you had luck on weekends with that?
I've never been on a weekend. Last time I went, thankfully, was a couple years ago on a Tuesday morning or something like that.
Does anyone know about the lease thing? I'd like to deal with it when i'm there before i officially start work, but it would be prior to my lease start date.
I don't know.

gcubed

I've never been on a weekend. Last time I went, thankfully, was a couple years ago on a Tuesday morning or something like that.
I don't know.

thanks! Actually i don't even see weekend hours in San Mateo, but at least i think i can get in prior to the 8am open and deal with it before work

Alternatively, you could always try the DMV at Daly City.

There is a wait but it's not as bad as SF's one assuming you get there early.

gcubed

Alternatively, you could always try the DMV at Daly City.

There is a wait but it's not as bad as SF's one assuming you get there early.

thanks for the help from both of you. I accepted an offer on Friday, signed a lease and bought a car on Saturday and flew back to my house on Monday to get ready to sell it. Its been a whirlwind weekend that I'm just trying to catch up from. I'll catch my breath sometime in September

wario

you should make an appointment with the DMV. there will still be a line, but it'll be shorter than the walk-in line.

thanks for the help from both of you. I accepted an offer on Friday, signed a lease and bought a car on Saturday and flew back to my house on Monday to get ready to sell it.

I did this back in 2011! It's a rough ride but it'll all be worth it soon enough. But on to your question:

any tips from relocaters on dealing with the DMV for cars and drivers license? I'm trying to find everything i need and the list of stuff they want is long and confusing.

First off, see if you can make an appointment on the website, it'll save you a lot of time.

Secondly, you don't actually need proof of your new address. Check it out here:

• Social Security number.
  • Your valid out-of-state driver's license.
  • Proof of your true full name.
  • Proof of your birth date and legal presence.
  • Driver License or Identification Card application (Form DL-44). This form cannot be downloaded as original signatures and a barcode are needed to meet legal requirements. You may request a DL-44 by calling (800) 777-0133, or pick one up in person from any DMV office.
  • Payment to cover the $31 license fee. CA DMV Offices accept cash, checks, money orders and ATM/debit cards.

If you can scrounge up your original birth certificate, social security card, and passport you should be fine. (Bring the lease agreement anyway, though.)

gcubed

I did this back in 2011! It's a rough ride but it'll all be worth it soon enough.
Yeah, it will definitely be worth it, I love the apartment we managed to grab and got the exact car I wanted waiting in a dealer garage for when i do my one way flight out there. Just have to continue downsizing from a house to an apartment at home and pack up, say my goodbyes and get on a plane (i'm tall and really really dislike all these coast to coast trips i've been making the last few months). I got the job I wanted/the experience I wanted moving out to Silicon Valley, got in on a start up (ish, a few years old and still private) that I think makes a fantastic product, so its definitely exciting to go from a mega corporation to this.

First off, see if you can make an appointment on the website, it'll save you a lot of time.

Secondly, you don't actually need proof of your new address. Check it out here:

• Social Security number.
  • Your valid out-of-state driver's license.
  • Proof of your true full name.
  • Proof of your birth date and legal presence.
  • Driver License or Identification Card application (Form DL-44). This form cannot be downloaded as original signatures and a barcode are needed to meet legal requirements. You may request a DL-44 by calling (800) 777-0133, or pick one up in person from any DMV office.
  • Payment to cover the $31 license fee. CA DMV Offices accept cash, checks, money orders and ATM/debit cards.

If you can scrounge up your original birth certificate, social security card, and passport you should be fine. (Bring the lease agreement anyway, though.)

i saw that but for all the hoops and crazy shit California makes you do, i couldn't believe that they didn't need proof of address... which only confused me more.

This whole "making an appointment" at the DMV challenges everything I thought i knew about the DMV, I'll definitely be going that route.

Top Bottom