• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Just moved from SLC to Dublin and looking for an awesome local sit down wing joint. Tried Kezar Pub over the weekend (totally fits my criteria for buffalo wings), but its out in the city and kinda far for a random wing craving. Any suggestions BayGaf?

Buffalo Wild Wings. It's right in Dublin.

Anyone in the Santa Cruz area? Shakespeare Santa Cruz is having their last few final performances (literally - it's the final season), and there are a few tickets left to Henry V.

Ha, I live two blocks from Kezar Pub. Apparently the place we are doing the meetup at in Berkeley has really good wings.
Maybe I can build up the courage to go to a meetup... We'll see.

Buffalo Wild Wings. It's right in Dublin.
Can't go wrong with that. Haven't been to the one in Dublin yet.
It gets reeeeeeeeeeeeeal busy when there's a football or baseball game on.
I would totally do BWWs, but they made a change in their menu where you pay by weight rather than per wing. So instead of 6 wings you may get anywhere between 4-7 wings. I feel it has become too corporate/franchisee; sad because I really enjoy their Asian Zing sauce. So with that said any recommended bars/pubs/dives with good wings within a 15 mile radius of Dublin?

Acid08

Banned
I would totally do BWWs, but they made a change in their menu where you pay by weight rather than per wing. So instead of 6 wings you may get anywhere between 4-7 wings. I feel it has become too corporate/franchisee; sad because I really enjoy their Asian Zing sauce. So with that said any recommended bars/pubs/dives with good wings within a 15 mile radius of Dublin?
There's the Dublin Sports Pub. Over 50 beers on tap and a pretty varied menu. Never had their wings but I figure it's worth trying.

Also Hooters
lolololol

There's the Dublin Sports Pub. Over 50 beers on tap and a pretty varied menu. Never had their wings but I figure it's worth trying.

Also Hooters
lolololol
How local is Hooters LOL? Thanks for the suggestion. If not for the wings, for the beer selection at least.

How local is Hooters LOL? Thanks for the suggestion. If not for the wings, for the beer selection at least.

Hooters is in West Dublin, which is basically on the other side of the 680 overpass. I have to admit that I'm rarely on that side unless I'm going to Comic Ink or Popeyes.

I live in Dublin too, in the condos basically right across the street from BWW.

When did they do that? I went two weeks ago and it was by the wing

When did they do that? I went two weeks ago and it was by the wing
It's kind of weird 'cause it's per wing on Wing Tuesdays and Boneless Thursdays, but based on weight any other time. They also started charging for celery, carrots, blue cheese, and ranch dressing on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If it hasn't been rolled out to the location you went to yet it will be soon from what I've heard.

It's kind of weird 'cause it's per wing on Wing Tuesdays and Boneless Thursdays, but based on weight any other time. They also started charging for celery, carrots, blue cheese, and ranch dressing on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If it hasn't been rolled out to the location you went to yet it will be soon from what I've heard.
they didn't do that for Wing Tuesdays or Thursdays, but they've always charged for celery and carrots at mine

So.

I'm in Foster City. I'm at the Plaza.

Besides Bridgepointe, where can I go to eat food?

And don't say the TGI Friday's at the Hillsdale mall, 'cause I believe I've explained myself there and do not wish to relive that experience through words.

gcubed

So.

I'm in Foster City. I'm at the Plaza.

Besides Bridgepointe, where can I go to eat food?

And don't say the TGI Friday's at the Hillsdale mall, 'cause I believe I've explained myself there and do not wish to relive that experience through words.

I'm a few blocks down from you, looked at the plaza but couldn't pass up the view here.

Not much around here for great food, San Mateo is closest

I'm a few blocks down from you, looked at the plaza but couldn't pass up the view here.

Not much around here for great food, San Mateo is closest

Good. Cause as a place to roost, it's fine. It has a fucking amazing Jacuzzi, but other than that, it's a shithole. Nobody gives a shit about being a community, people don't care how loud they make noise or play music or TV late at night, people let their kids unsupervised in the pool area all the time, and they charge extra for things that really shouldn't cost extra. I can't even begin to tell you how often the cops come here - sometimes SCREAMING down the driveway (hint: some came tonight).

Are you one of those people in the river houses? The ones that will get wet the moment the water rises?

btw just got an interview at the Hillsdale Mall Spirit. So excited at the possibility of making positive income per month again!

gcubed

Good. Cause as a place to roost, it's fine. It has a fucking amazing Jacuzzi, but other than that, it's a shithole. Nobody gives a shit about being a community, people don't care how loud they make noise or play music or TV late at night, people let their kids unsupervised in the pool area all the time, and they charge extra for things that really shouldn't cost extra. I can't even begin to tell you how often the cops come here - sometimes SCREAMING down the driveway (hint: some came tonight).

Are you one of those people in the river houses? The ones that will get wet the moment the water rises?

btw just got an interview at the Hillsdale Mall Spirit. So excited at the possibility of making positive income per month again!

i'm living on the canal. It doesn't rise above the water line, its controlled in and out of the bay, we are at Miramar and there was a unit open with a full canal view, couldn't pass it up. Positive income is always good!

Esiquio

Whoa, didn't know there were fellow Dublin residents here. Mini meetup @ BWW or some other place I haven't heard of yet in Dublin? (Spend most of my time in Oakland/Alameda)

Whoa, didn't know there were fellow Dublin residents here. Mini meetup @ BWW or some other place I haven't heard of yet in Dublin? (Spend most of my time in Oakland/Alameda)

Could be down. Pick a time and date if you want to meet-up.

My schedule depends on if I have stuff during the week or if I'm free weekends. Other than that, I'm usually back in Dublin around 6:30ish on weekdays.

sca2511

Visiting Hayward tomorrow to go look around campus and check out a store or two/grab a bite to eat. Any recommendations on places to grab some grub? Also, can anyone recommend a comic shop around Hayward/Union City/Fremont?

Nelo Ice

Banned
Visiting Hayward tomorrow to go look around campus and check out a store or two/grab a bite to eat. Any recommendations on places to grab some grub? Also, can anyone recommend a comic shop around Hayward/Union City/Fremont?
Never been but there's a comic shop in my area in Castro Valley. It's called Crush Comics.

i'm living on the canal. It doesn't rise above the water line, its controlled in and out of the bay, we are at Miramar and there was a unit open with a full canal view, couldn't pass it up. Positive income is always good!

We're thinking of moving there in about six months when they kick us out of temp housing.

gcubed

We're thinking of moving there in about six months when they kick us out of temp housing.

only been here a few weeks but like it so far, its only a few blocks away but the area is much more residential then the plaza. The only negative is that you have planes coming directly overhead to land at the airport.

We have friends that have lived in the complex for 6 years now and are still here, so that says something i guess. Its pretty quiet (as far as tenants) .

only been here a few weeks but like it so far, its only a few blocks away but the area is much more residential then the plaza. The only negative is that you have planes coming directly overhead to land at the airport.

We have friends that have lived in the complex for 6 years now and are still here, so that says something i guess. Its pretty quiet (as far as tenants) .

Yeah, I love (read: hate) that I live in the metal/industrial glitch of an otherwise amazing area.

gcubed

Yeah, I love (read: hate) that I live in the metal/industrial glitch of an otherwise amazing area.

Hit me up on pm if you ever want to check the place out... Or grab a beer. I just moved out here from Philly so don't count on me for help with bars, I just grab a few bottles from bevmo and drink on my balcony. I do have a fantastic whiskey from park city.

Hey BayGAF!

I don't actually live in the city, but I'm down south in Monterey, so it's only a 2.5hr car drive (or a 5-ish hour trip on public transit) into SF. The couple of times I've been there, I've loved it. Love love loved it.

For the next month and a half before I move out of Cali, I would like to compile a list of places I want to check out during my jaunts in SF. The starter I've put together here is made up of searches in past GAF threads as well as some of my own experience, but of course I'm here to solicit advice & recs. What I'm not looking for? Overly expensive restaurants, things that would be weird to go to solo. Anything else goes!

The Castro Theatre - this place has the most absurdly good line-up, if I lived in town I'd be here EVERY NIGHT.
Cako - I gather they sell cupcakes here.
Golden Gate Park - I'm thinking this'll be a good half day of exploration.
Onigilly's - little Japanese place I bumped into once which has an amazing spicy bacon onigiri wrap thing.
Beijing Restaurant - this is kind of out of the way, but it's the nearest Chinese restaurant I could find that serves - this is key - authentic Northern cuisine, as opposed to the Cantonese & Sichuan (&, let's be real, American) styles that proliferate in Chinatown. Crucial for me, as I speak mandarin Ch. & lived in Beijing for about six weeks and I miss it terribly.
Papalote - I dun even like Mexican, but I'm open-minded.
Bi Rite Creamery, Fenton's Creamery - yea pretty much just looking for a good ice cream joint
City Lights Book Store
Rasputin Music
Kidrobot

Ike's Place
Super Duper Burger

I also plan to book a bed in a hostel for these trips, as well as probably go on a pub crawl with a bunch of Aussies & Europeans (I gather these are the only people who utilize hostels). If anyone has recs for a "good" one (meaning cheap, accessible) then I'm all ears - I've been eyeing Adelaide and Green Tortoise.
The Castro Theater is great. Highly recommended and shame on me for not getting over there more often.
Papalote is good. I'm more into La Taqueria, but you'll find that people are very territorial about their burrito choices and there aren't a lot of bad options.
In addition to Bi Rite & Fenton's, Humphry Slocombe is good for ice cream.
City Lights is certainly worth a look.

As far as touristy things go, I'd walk the Golden Gate Bridge if you have the time and interest. Crissy Field down below is gorgeous, as well.

For more frugal food choices, check out the Chronicle's SF Bargain Bites list from last year. I'd just double check to make sure any specific places are still open as there's a decent amount of turnover in the food industry.

ccbfan

Heading To SF next Wednesday till Saturday.

Any recommendations?

Sites, Restaurants, ect.

Should I rent a car? Hows the public transportation there. How far is the airport?

Thanks in advance.

No need to rent a car.
Public transportation is good.
Airport is about a 15 minute drive into actual SF (South SF doesnt count).

What kind of food/restaurants do you like? There's been an explosion of ramen and gastropubs within the last couple of years. You could do the touristy thing and go hit up House of Prime Rib or The Stinking Rose...but there are far better places than that in almost every corner of each neighborhood.

ccbfan

No need to rent a car.
Public transportation is good.
Airport is about a 15 minute drive into actual SF (South SF doesnt count).

What kind of food/restaurants do you like? There's been an explosion of ramen and gastropubs within the last couple of years. You could do the touristy thing and go hit up House of Prime Rib or The Stinking Rose...but there are far better places than that in almost every corner of each neighborhood.

We're staying in at the SOMA area.

Well Asian is kind of the theme this trip. We're gonna be in Vancouver from Sat To Wednesday so I'm not sure would we be Chinesed out since Vancouver has the best Chinese food in NA.

A good Ramen joint recommendation would be a nice. Know of any good Japanese style eateries that not sushi based? Also always up for Gastro pub got any recomendations?

We plan on doing a fancy dinner in both Vancouver and SF. Got any good ones in SF that's not too upscale like French Laundry (like 100 a person) and I can get reservations?

Also I'm from NYC and want to avoid doing things I can easily do in NYC.

Chinese food in SF proper is hit or miss. There's much better stuff South of the city, in my experience. Make sure to get some sushi in Vancouver if you like fresh fish - lots of great places there.

As far as non-sushi Japanese food in SF goes, I've heard good things about Izakaya Yuzuki, but I've never been there. Nojo is supposedly quite good, as well. Ippuku is my favorite, but that's in Berkeley. I usually get ramen in San Mateo.

Regarding a 'fancy dinner', I can throw some recommendations out there if you can narrow it down a bit. Any cuisine in particular? Something distinctly Californian?

A good Ramen joint recommendation would be a nice. Know of any good Japanese style eateries that not sushi based? Also always up for Gastro pub got any recomendations?

We plan on doing a fancy dinner in both Vancouver and SF. Got any good ones in SF that's not too upscale like French Laundry (like 100 a person) and I can get reservations?

Ramen: Ken Ken Ramen, Katana-Ya
Gastropub: Tipsy Pig, The Republic
Fancy Dinner: Gary Danko, Nopa (not as upscale as Gary Danko, but good)

iavi

We're staying in at the SOMA area.

Well Asian is kind of the theme this trip. We're gonna be in Vancouver from Sat To Wednesday so I'm not sure would we be Chinesed out since Vancouver has the best Chinese food in NA.

Also I'm from NYC and want to avoid doing things I can easily do in NYC.

Tanpopo in the Japantown square is a great place to grab some ramen. Usually pretty packed too, so expect a quick wait outside, if going during one of those bust hours, but the stuff is good. Def worth it.

robox

my picks:

ramen: ramen underground. financial district on kearny or japantown mall above daiso. also a ramen place in soma called lava lounge. ramen resto by day, lounge bar by night. took me a while to make the connection when i went day vs night.
burgers: super duper
fancy-ish: foreign cinema in mission district on mission st

butzopower

proud of his butz
I'm a fan of San Tung and Shanghai Dumpling King, but again, Vancouver is probably worth waiting for Chinese on. Curry Up Now is pretty tasty if you want relatively cheap Indian burritos. The gastropub I hit up the most is Magnolia, but that's just because it's near me.

Toki767

Go to San Tung just to try their dry fried chicken wings. Shanghai Dumpling King is great, but Vancouver's soup dumplings are definitely very comparable and maybe even cheaper/bigger.

I'd also recommend Old Mandarin for some Beijing cuisine. Or Hot Pot Garden for all you can eat hot pot if it ends up being really cold at night.

Top Bottom