• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Yeah, it will definitely be worth it, I love the apartment we managed to grab and got the exact car I wanted waiting in a dealer garage for when i do my one way flight out there. Just have to continue downsizing from a house to an apartment at home and pack up, say my goodbyes and get on a plane (i'm tall and really really dislike all these coast to coast trips i've been making the last few months). I got the job I wanted/the experience I wanted moving out to Silicon Valley, got in on a start up (ish, a few years old and still private) that I think makes a fantastic product, so its definitely exciting to go from a mega corporation to this.

i saw that but for all the hoops and crazy shit California makes you do, i couldn't believe that they didn't need proof of address... which only confused me more.

This whole "making an appointment" at the DMV challenges everything I thought i knew about the DMV, I'll definitely be going that route.

Stumbled in here, just because I'd imagine SF is an amazing place to live and discovered that you seem to have a new job GCubed, good luck!

got in on a start up (ish, a few years old and still private) that I think makes a fantastic product

My company didn't give you a job, did we? :eek:

This whole "making an appointment" at the DMV challenges everything I thought i knew about the DMV, I'll definitely be going that route.

It can be hard to get one quickly at the busy DMV offices but it's totally worthwhile if you can work it out. If you can't get one the DMV out here is gnarly.

gcubed

Stumbled in here, just because I'd imagine SF is an amazing place to live and discovered that you seem to have a new job GCubed, good luck!

yup, finally made the move! Thanks!

My company didn't give you a job, did we? :eek:

It can be hard to get one quickly at the busy DMV offices but it's totally worthwhile if you can work it out. If you can't get one the DMV out here is gnarly.
Whats your company? Its with Arista Networks.

Yeah, i just got a note from my hiring manager that he wants me to take care of all my stuff the first week or two that I'm there so I can focus on work afterwards... relieved a bit of stress!

yup, finally made the move! Thanks!

Whats your company? Its with Arista Networks.

Yeah, i just got a note from my hiring manager that he wants me to take care of all my stuff the first week or two that I'm there so I can focus on work afterwards... relieved a bit of stress!

I'm a block from the DMV by the park, so if you want to grab a coffee while you wait for your number (or use some internets) drop me a PM.

Acid08

Banned
Thinking about just grabbing a room in Redwood City for next week so I don't have to commute from Livermore for the week.

gcubed

I'm a block from the DMV by the park, so if you want to grab a coffee while you wait for your number (or use some internets) drop me a PM.

I'll definitely reach out to you when I'm going. I'm moving in to the miramar apartments, on Hillsdale if you know where they are. My wife and I have a couple that we've known for years in the same area but that's it

Pterion

I'll be in San Francisco for the first time in October for a conference. I'll go through this thread quickly to see what places to visit and so on. I was told it may be a bit cold at that time of the year. True?

I'll be in San Francisco for the first time in October for a conference. I'll go through this thread quickly to see what places to visit and so on. I was told it may be a bit cold at that time of the year. True?
Bring a light jacket and a fleece and you'll be fine. "cold" is relative - probably will be in the 50's-60's and foggy at times, but sometimes we get great weather in the Fall.

Whats your company?

Something else that fits the same description. :p

Good deal. I spent my first month in the Bay commuting 60 miles each way on 880 because the friends I was crashing with lived so far from my office. (._. )

It gets pretty nippy at night, but not "cold" by the definition of any reasonable place (e.g. the northeast.)

Layers are your friend in SF. There are micro climates everywhere.

A meeting!? Where are you guys going this time? I've got no commitments this weekend so I'm down. If anyone needs a ride from south bay I've got you covered.

AcridMeat

Banned
Plan is Jupiter in Berkeley again. It's right outside the Shattuck bart station. I'll let folks know the time when I hear from others which works best.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Planning to do a roadtrip down the 101 from Portland to SF and then eventually SD.

Any recommendations for places to stay in NorCal on the coast? I won't be able to do the full 14-15 hour trip in one go since I'm driving all by myself, so I want to stay somewhere decent for a night halfway through the trip. I was thinking Eureka but I know nothing of the area.

Likewise, recommendations for a hotel in SF (prob a night or two) would be awesome.

Planning to do a roadtrip down the 101 from Portland to SF and then eventually SD.

Any recommendations for places to stay in NorCal on the coast? I won't be able to do the full 14-15 hour trip in one go since I'm driving all by myself, so I want to stay somewhere decent for a night halfway through the trip. I was thinking Eureka but I know nothing of the area.

Likewise, recommendations for a hotel in SF (prob a night or two) would be awesome.

Stay somewhere in Mendocino.

reilo

Stay somewhere in Mendocino.

Thanks!

If I were to do this, I think I'm gonna do Portland -> Newport (already been down the 101 up North) for lunch -> Mendocino for dinner -> San Francisco, which is roughly a 13-14 hour drive. I'd stay in SF a couple of nights and then down to San Diego, not sure which route, probably along the 101 again with a couple of stops inbetween.

Driving back would be straight over I5.

I posted a thread about this but was made aware of this thread there:

Long story short, my fiance was just offered her dream job in San Fran (we're in Baltimore) and we're weighing the pros and cons. She'd have to start in late September/early October so we don't have a lot of time to think about it or the logistics so any help would be useful.

We're wondering where's a good place to live (we've been looking at Oakland and Emeryville), what's the job scene like (for me as an artist (yeah I know)), any tips really. For reference, she'd probably be making between 45-50k plus whatever income I make (I obviously don't have a job lined up yet). I'll have a car but she won't though getting to work probably won't be a problem since her job would be near a BART stop in the financial district.

So yeah, any help or tips or advice would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

We're wondering where's a good place to live (we've been looking at Oakland and Emeryville), what's the job scene like (for me as an artist (yeah I know)), any tips really. For reference, she'd probably be making between 45-50k plus whatever income I make (I obviously don't have a job lined up yet).

I would be really, really concerned about moving to the Bay on that kind of money. Unless you've got friends who want to rent you out a bedroom or something on the cheap, you're looking at an absolute bare minimum of $20k for rental costs. If you live in the East Bay you're talking 2 hours commute time every day and more transport costs.

...what kind of job is moving people across the country to work in the fidi but paying $45k?

I would be really, really concerned about moving to the Bay on that kind of money. Unless you've got friends who want to rent you out a bedroom or something on the cheap, you're looking at an absolute bare minimum of $20k for rental costs. If you live in the East Bay you're talking 2 hours commute time every day and more transport costs.

...what kind of job is moving people across the country to work in the fidi but paying $45k?
Interior Design. Unfortunately the profession's salary barely scales at all across the country regardless of what city you're in with the sort of exception of NYC.

I'll have a job as well though, I just don't have anything lined up yet. So we're talking her salary plus mine.

I think it's doable, but they'll probably be making significant concessions either by paying a lot for where they live in a more central location or spending a lot of time on BART coming in from somewhere else. It is possible to luck out and find some decent deals but those are few and far between in such a competitive market.

reilo

First stop at La Maison Bakery in Newport before the longest drive of the trip.

I was hoping to see some things in the OP about SF, but alas it's not that fulfilling lol.

So please everyone, throw things my way of things to do and see in SF. I'm staying downtown in Nob Hill just a few blocks east of Van Ness.

reilo

Is it standard for bars to give you samplers of different single malts before you settle on one? Because *mindblown* and totally awesome.

Is it standard for bars to give you samplers of different single malts before you settle on one? Because *mindblown* and totally awesome.

If its a good bar, yes. Unless you go to Toronados in SF you'll get lambasted for asking anything. Toronados on Haight still rules though.

reilo

I just can't get over the fact that coffee shops don't have wifi. I also can't get over the fact how snobby baristas are. And the coffee is terrible.

I'm looking at you, Four Barrel.

I just can't get over the fact that coffee shops don't have wifi. I also can't get over the fact how snobby baristas are. And the coffee is terrible.

I'm looking at you, Four Barrel.

HYPE.

Kinda ridiculous that they have their own mugs for sale with a drawing of the baristas on it. Four Barrel coffee is not terrible, at least to me.

reilo

HYPE.

Kinda ridiculous that they have their own mugs for sale with a drawing of the baristas on it. Four Barrel coffee is not terrible, at least to me.
I walked by and was mesmerized by their atmosphere. I said to myself, "hey, this looks straight out of Portland!"

But my lord was it anything but. It's all show and no go.

At least in Portland, when I get rude service, at least the coffee I paid for will be good and it will have wifi.

The iced coffee I had was really bad.

Toki767

Glen Park is amazing. The bart trip to downtown is trivially short and in a "sort of" reverse commute direction, so it just depends on the walk on either end. The best part of Glen Park is that for how easy it is to get anywhere in the city, the neighborhood itself is very low key and quiet, but still has some very good places to eat and hang out.
Yep. Love it there. I live like 5 blocks from BART there and it's very convenient. It's also the least ghetto BART station in the city. Plus I like the the tacqueria nearby. LA Corneta is the name.

Just moved from SLC to Dublin and looking for an awesome local sit down wing joint. Tried Kezar Pub over the weekend (totally fits my criteria for buffalo wings), but its out in the city and kinda far for a random wing craving. Any suggestions BayGaf?

butzopower

proud of his butz
Just moved from SLC to Dublin and looking for an awesome local sit down wing joint. Tried Kezar Pub over the weekend (totally fits my criteria for buffalo wings), but its out in the city and kinda far for a random wing craving. Any suggestions BayGaf?

Ha, I live two blocks from Kezar Pub. Apparently the place we are doing the meetup at in Berkeley has really good wings.

Top Bottom