• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

I'll shave my mustache,

No, really, that's not a joke. I have horrible facial hair right now. It's post-employment hair.

Might wear this sweater, haven't decided yet.
0739E9E7-DA33-4D9E-8820-0EB8A857ECBE_zpsux1kde8p.jpg

If all goes well I'll be making it tomorrow evening. I might head out later to CASK or Hard Water depending on the mood and when we disband. Or tag along and see what the music scene is like. I'll be coming up from the south bay so if anyone needs a ride up just pm me.

Can't wait! Suddenly, I'm all free so I can do this logistically myself!

Anyhow, a few questions:

1) Anyone here a nerd? I am in need of a new computer, and am worried about building it myself since the last one I built... ahem... literally caught of fire. I also don't want to pay some fancy custom PC site to put together the mobo for me (even though it's technically cheap, it's still not the $200 less I'd have if I were to just buy the parts individually). But I'm worried I'd just fuck up again if I did it myself. Any BayGAF build computers and would like to help a FellowGAF out?

2) Moving to Redwood in four days, Mom has agreed to go NetFlix/Amazon/Hulu only, but still is going to get cable so she can watch live sports. I need to put a stop to this. Please help me out by telling me things I can tell my mother as to how she can watch streamed sports on the web. We just recently got her to start watching NetFlix on TV.

Can't wait! Suddenly, I'm all free so I can do this logistically myself!

Anyhow, a few questions:

1) Anyone here a nerd? I am in need of a new computer, and am worried about building it myself since the last one I built... ahem... literally caught of fire. I also don't want to pay some fancy custom PC site to put together the mobo for me (even though it's technically cheap, it's still not the $200 less I'd have if I were to just buy the parts individually). But I'm worried I'd just fuck up again if I did it myself. Any BayGAF build computers and would like to help a FellowGAF out?

2) Moving to Redwood in four days, Mom has agreed to go NetFlix/Amazon/Hulu only, but still is going to get cable so she can watch live sports. I need to put a stop to this. Please help me out by telling me things I can tell my mother as to how she can watch streamed sports on the web. We just recently got her to start watching NetFlix on TV.

I'm in Sunnyvale and would be more than happy to help ya out with a pc build. It's been a while but it's fairly simple as long as you got the time and patience required to test everything out before fitting it together, oh and thermal paste.

As per the sports thing, it really depends on the sports. ESPN requires some form of login from Comcast/Dish/DirecTV to get their streaming. Some are streamed online illegally, but honestly it's hard to even find those that are decent. Why not get a Tivo and use OTA HDTV signal? It might be an added cost but at least then your mom could watch most live sports.

gcubed

Woo, I just watched it. I guess Cornballer can cover his ears?

Boooo

Def!

Yea, they are leaving Saturday morning. It's OK, I've been feeling like shit since being a little.. Aggressive ... with the alcohol on nye. I'm not as young as I used to be.

HP, if you want to try the TiVo thing I have an old premiere xl 2 tuner that I want to get out of my apartment. It has no service though, so you'd need to pay.

I'm in Sunnyvale and would be more than happy to help ya out with a pc build. It's been a while but it's fairly simple as long as you got the time and patience required to test everything out before fitting it together, oh and thermal paste.

Where in Sunnyvale?

We'll talk tonight.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I for real will have a name badge. For those that don't know my face or haven't met me before or don't have my cell phone number.

I might show up tonight if you guys are there long enough, but my phone decided to shit itself so I don't have any way of communicating with anyone. Don't have a printer either so I don't think I can make it to 1015

Some stuff came up last minute so I'll be absent this evening. I'm super bummed out, but you guys make the best of the night!

HP_Wuvcraft:

right off 280 and Highway 9 (Sunnyvale/Santa Clara) pm me sometime.

AcridMeat

Banned
Sorry we had to check out early and sorry zerofire that you couldn't make it to 1015 tonight. It was pretty darn good. The guy before Cut Chemist was surprisingly good, and Chemist himself was on it.

Hope we can do this again soon.

Sorry we had to check out early and sorry zerofire that you couldn't make it to 1015 tonight. It was pretty darn good. The guy before Cut Chemist was surprisingly good, and Chemist himself was on it.

Hope we can do this again soon.
I woke up today coughing my lungs out so it's probably for the best

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
comcast, but be ready for a lot of bullshit if your coverage isn't great or you live in a "busy" area.

Toki767

For internet, Comcast. I can't really recommend their cable TV service though. Mine keeps going on and off and there's nothing they can do to fix it.

inm8num2

The best thing to do with Comcast is look out for promotions, like $20/month internet for one year. When that expires, cancel and have someone else sign up (assuming you have roommates/spouse/etc. to do that).

New question:

Any of you going to GDC? Or, more importantly, gone before? I'm right now looking at their passes and am very... disappointed... in the only pass with conferences being nearly $1k.

The best thing to do with Comcast is look out for promotions, like $20/month internet for one year. When that expires, cancel and have someone else sign up (assuming you have roommates/spouse/etc. to do that).

To add to this post

It only takes 2 months of being a non customer to be considered a new customer. I'd suggest buying your own modem if you want to avoid the rental fee. This also works to your advantage especially if you take part in new customer offers frequently. Cause then you don't have to return any equipment to them.

As per GDC volunteer if you can. Its a great way to get in for free and most of the time they are willing to work with you on shifts. So that you can see the stuff you want. If you really want to get the maximum free time for events I hear that setup and teardown is the way to go.
http://www.gdconf.com/attend/volunteer.html

Glad to see everyone survived the night. Sounds like things got pretty interesting, I'm kicking myself in the butt for not being able to go. But there will always be another get together sometime in the future.

Blearth

Banned
I use Sonic.net

Not the fastest internet in the world (11mbps for me, up to 20 depending on where you live apparently) but there are no caps, no contract, it never goes down, and it is apparently the #1 ISP in the country when it comes to privacy.

Top Bottom