• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

I'd love to go to GDC this year, but it's so overly priced. I might just go check out the free stuff they've got this year. Last year I had a pretty good time just hanging out around the area talking to random gaming folks.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If you don't mind working the show, you can always try to join the volunteer staff and get a free all-access pass that way. You need to spend a certain amount of time during the week working, but you're free to do whatever you want during your off time, and if there's a certain panel or lecture you want to check out that conflicts you can often work out a shift trade with another volunteer. Probably too late to sign up for this year though.

I did the volunteer thing once 12 years ago when GDC was still in San Jose. My contract at the time had just wrapped up so I was free that week, and ended up getting my next job right after the show due to dropping my resume off at the job fair. I've been getting messages ever since (former volunteers always get asked first if they want to come back) but haven't been able to get the free time to do it again since you have to commit for the whole week. I've been at a bunch of GDCs on company sponsored passes though.

catabarez

Is Ike's really any good? There's one right near my university but I've never actually gone down there to have it. I don't typically like sandwiches.

San Francisco?

Yeah Ike's is pretty great. If you go I recommend getting the Shawn Michaels.

I'm not a fan of sandwiches either.

catabarez

what's in that one?

Thinly sliced roast beef, bacon, mozzarella cheese sticks, and their dirty sauce. You can also get veggies on it if you want.

It should be on their online menu but I'm pretty sure that changes with the location. If you check the Danville menu it is on there.

Thinly sliced roast beef, bacon, mozzarella cheese sticks, and their dirty sauce. You can also get veggies on it if you want.

It should be on their online menu but I'm pretty sure that changes with the location. If you check the Danville menu it is on there.
I imagine the online menus aren't 100% accurate given how complicated they are.

catabarez

There's also that age-old issue of having one you really like and then being reluctant to try something else because you're worried it won't be as good as your favorite.

That's pretty much my issue. The first one I had was the Shawn Michaels and I've only tried a couple others since.

MC Safety

The Bushman died.

I don't know when it happened, exactly. The guy had a good gimmick, but I can't imagine why you'd get mad when someone didn't tip you after you scared them.

inm8num2

I'd love to go to GDC this year, but it's so overly priced. I might just go check out the free stuff they've got this year. Last year I had a pretty good time just hanging out around the area talking to random gaming folks.

Volunteering at GDC is always an option (to gain admission albeit do some work, like an indentured servant :p), but I you have to apply a few months in advance.

http://www.gdconf.com/attend/volunteer.html

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The Bushman died.

I don't know when it happened, exactly. The guy had a good gimmick, but I can't imagine why you'd get mad when someone didn't tip you after you scared them.

One of the bushmen died, Gregory. There is another.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Y'all ever been to Hot Sauce and Panko in the Richmond? Never have I heard The Lord's name taken in vain so much, especially over chicken wings. They also sell about 200 different types of hot sauce. Sooooo good.

Anyone going to GDC? I am opting to go to the Scenography of Kentucky Route Zero over the post-mort of Shenmue since the KRZ talk directly relates to my job.

btrboyev

I'll be in SF April 8th-16th. I'm from MN. Help me out in suggestions on what to do. It's just me and a buddy with no real plan.

I'll be in SF April 8th-16th. I'm from MN. Help me out in suggestions on what to do. It's just me and a buddy with no real plan.
If you want food suggestions, please list very specific preferences in terms of cuisine, price range, ambiance, etc... SFGate's Bargain Bites is a good place to start.

As far as touristy activities go, Alcatraz is a fun trip, though you typically have to book early. Walk over the Golden Gate Bridge and check out Crissy Field / The Presidio. The farmer's market at the Ferry Building is worth a look on Saturday and I think they run a smaller one on Tuesday(?) though you'd have to check the schedule. Beyond that, I'd recommend wandering through some neighborhoods (Chinatown/North Beach are close to each other, the Mission is fun in some spots). If you want bar recommendations, just let us know what your preferences are (beer, cocktails) and I'm sure people can weigh in with some suggestions.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dude.
Yesterday I was driving to in'n out burger and saw this accident.

It was obviously bad, but I was on my way to a cheeseburger. Anyway, I forgot about it until now. But I just watched Cosmos on live broadcast which is obviously a rare thing to do. During the broadcast channel 7 news kept hyping "find out about this DRUNK driving accident." Did anyone see this?

Quoted multiple times each commercial break during the Cosmos broadcast was "the driver was drunk and distracted.

So naturally having seen the actual accident myself I watched part of the news segment.

They say the driver was not drunk at all, and was in fact possibly under the influence of Marijuana. Driving intoxicated is reprehensibe no matter the substance.

Heres where things take a turn though. The guy was actually looking as his phone. He is quoted as saying "I didn't see the car because I was looking at my phone." A direct interview with the police officer says "he was loooking at his device" an interview with the widower who just lost his mother and wife in the crash says "he was looking at his phone."

The fact they would hype/advertise this segment as a drunk driving accident when its clearly a cell phone related accident is infuriating. And the contradictions of the actual news channel with the span of 5 minutes were breathtaking.

Did anyone see this?

Nelo Ice

Banned
Damn with Cosmos and the Big Bang theory news I am more excited than ever to go to the California Academy of science. Have still never been but I need to go sometime this year for sure.

Damn with Cosmos and the Big Bang theory news I am more excited than ever to go to the California Academy of science. Have still never been but I need to go sometime this year for sure.

Whe I was a child, the AOS was friggin' HUGE.

Now it's so tiny.

Anyone know what that underground museum in the park with the dinosaurs was?

Wheeeee! Massive power outtage in my building so I'm sitting in the courtyard rather than at my desk.

Last time this happened was around Christmas last year.

Top Bottom