• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Psycho Donuts rules. For Fanime they have a Totoro donut!

rAcH7Ml.jpg

OMG I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE!

beat

I'll be in SF next week to start a job downtown and I'll be staying in Richmond. I think I want a monthly pass -- but should I get a monthly pass + BART or just MUNI?

Toki767

I'll be in SF next week to start a job downtown and I'll be staying in Richmond. I think I want a monthly pass -- but should I get a monthly pass + BART or just MUNI?

There's no BART that goes to Richmond (neighborhood right?), so I doubt you really need it.

Just finished the color run in San Jose w/ auron_kale, anyone else here do it?

The wife and I did it. I discovered exactly how much of five kilometers I can run in one shot (hint: it is less than 100 percent.) The route runs by my apartment and my job so it's basically just my daily commute, lol.

The downside is that after getting up at 7AM on a weekend to run I am exhausted, but the upside is that after you run a 5k, breakfast food is fucking delicious.

The wife and I did it. I discovered exactly how much of five kilometers I can run in one shot (hint: it is less than 100 percent.) The route runs by my apartment and my job so it's basically just my daily commute, lol.

The downside is that after getting up at 7AM on a weekend to run I am exhausted, but the upside is that after you run a 5k, breakfast food is fucking delicious.

Hell yah it is auron and I ended up going to Jolibees in Union City and then Krispy Kremes. Even better are the post-5k naps :D!

MrGerbils

Hey SF Bay GAF. Fairly recent new resident. Looking for delicious ramen in the south bay. Suggestions?

I like a thick and rich tonkotsu (from LA and love Yamadaya in Torrance / Culver), but am open to any recs.

Try Kahoos in SJ @ Saratoga:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/kahoo-ramen-san-jose

There's also a Mitsuwa and Kinokuniya there if you need anything else!

The Kahoo on Saratoga is decent. Theres another Kahoo on El Camino (run by the same guy that used to run Miyabi-Tei inside Mitsuwas). It started out as another location, but recently has changed everything. Even the name is called Kahoo Noodle now.

Misoya across from Orenchi has the very thick and hearty ramen that MrGerbils is looking for. Santouka Ramen (Special Pork) inside Mitsuwas is delicious. Down the street on Saratoga is also Ramen Halu which has hearty ramen.

For a Hakata Ramen Shinsengumi style thats popular in Socal, theres a spot on The Alameda right by Santa Clara University called Ramen Taka. It's not thick and hearty, but its good for a change.

Hell yah it is auron and I ended up going to Jolibees in Union City and then Krispy Kremes. Even better are the post-5k naps :D!

Indeed they are...

We'll be doing the Neon Run this coming Saturday night in San Francisco as well as the Slime Run up in Sacramento on the 21st.

Wheeee!

Indeed they are...

We'll be doing the Neon Run this coming Saturday night in San Francisco as well as the Slime Run up in Sacramento on the 21st.

Wheeee!

I MIGHT be adding another one in July at Lake Chabot the weekend after JPOP Summit in SF.

I'm still trying to accomplish my feat of getting my 5k time under 25 minutes this year :X.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Anybody here use Sprint and can comment on the coverage in the Bay Area? Mostly worried about East Bay and Vallejo/Fairfield.

Anybody here use Sprint and can comment on the coverage in the Bay Area? Mostly worried about East Bay and Vallejo/Fairfield.

My cousin used to use Sprint as his work phone in Oakland (though he was living in San Ramon at the time) and often complained about the speed though his calls were decent-ish.

Granted, this was a few years ago, so I'm not too sure how much has changed.

Talon

Hey Folks,

I'm visiting your fine town for work this week - Wednesday-Sunday. I plan on blocking aside Saturday for just wandering purposes. I'm not completely unfamiliar with the city - I've been a few times and done the obvious touristy bits like the Golden Gate Bridge. Last year, I spent the day walking around Golden Gate park and such.

Any how, any recommendations as to a good area to just do some wandering to take in the area? I have plenty of food suggestions from old friends that are out there now, but I like enjoying the parts of cities that are more neighborhoody.

Thanks ahead of time for any help, and I'm more than happy to assist with Chicago tips.

Cheers.

Any how, any recommendations as to a good area to just do some wandering to take in the area? I have plenty of food suggestions from old friends that are out there now, but I like enjoying the parts of cities that are more neighborhoody.

Thanks ahead of time for any help, and I'm more than happy to assist with Chicago tips.

Cheers.

What do you mean by "neighborhoody"?
To me, neighborhoody would be something like Mission, Portrero Hill, Castro, Noe Valley, Sunset, Presidio, Hayes Valley, Haight Ashbury. Those are rich with culture and diversity and a bit distant from all the touristy areas like North Beach, Chinatown, and Union Square. Still though, that NE/touristy area of SF is beautiful and quite "SF"

beat

all the touristy areas like North Beach, Chinatown, and Union Square. Still though, that NE/touristy area of SF is beautiful and quite "SF"
Not that I'm a local, but to me there's tourist Chinatown on Grant and Chinatown for the residents on Stockton.

... though honestly I have mixed feelings about the latter and I'm ethnically Chinese. I love it but I'd also be slightly reluctant to recommend it.

Talon

What do you mean by "neighborhoody"?
To me, neighborhoody would be something like Mission, Portrero Hill, Castro, Noe Valley, Sunset, Presidio, Hayes Valley, Haight Ashbury. Those are rich with culture and diversity and a bit distant from all the touristy areas like North Beach, Chinatown, and Union Square. Still though, that NE/touristy area of SF is beautiful and quite "SF"
Basically, I mean a lived-in area that isn't a plaza full of big box stores and ghiradellis.

Basically, I mean a lived-in area that isn't a plaza full of big box stores and ghiradellis.

You just described all of SF that isn't Fisherman's Wharf.

Take a BART to Montgomery Street BART stop and then just wander in basically any direction to see completely different neighborhoods.

butzopower

proud of his butz
What do people recommend besides craigslist for finding an apartment in the city? I feel like there's gotta be something that searches multiple places.

sca2511

Did anyone go to Sunday Streets in SF? First time for my girlfriend and I, we had a blast. Used adaptive cycles from BORP. We went to Super Duper afterwards, so good.

Not sure if anyone went to Sub Zero last Fri/Sat, but that was pretty good as well.

Did anyone go to Sunday Streets in SF? First time for my girlfriend and I, we had a blast. Used adaptive cycles from BORP. We went to Super Duper afterwards, so good.

Not sure if anyone went to Sub Zero last Fri/Sat, but that was pretty good as well.
I don't know if it's the exact same thing but I walked through the Haight Ashbury street fair by accident

My SO and I got caught up in it when we were trying to get back from the Cliff House and were wondering what it was. Can you elaborate?

sca2511

I believe they closed The Great Highway and Lincoln(?) for pedestrians and bicyclists. Had some stuff to do like music, community games, and vendors.

Sunday-Streetslogo.png

Sunday Streets are events that encourage recreation, community activities and fun in San Francisco. Sunday Streets closes stretches of city streets to automobile traffic, and opens them to people for several hours on a various Sundays throughout the year, so participants can enjoy a large, temporary, public space where they can bike, walk, run, dance, do yoga, or do any other physical activity. Non-profit and health organizations offer free activities and share information about their services during the event.

The day we went:
This scenic Sunday Streets travels along the Great Highway from Sloat to Lincoln, along MLK Drive, and Middle Drive through Golden Gate Park. Strap on those skates, and come explore the west side of the city, you are sure to have a great day while getting some serious exercise! From Lindy in the Park, to the Skatin Place, to Ocean Beach, there is something for everyone along this route! Be sure to take advantage of the Golden Gate Park Shuttle, which will be running during the event.

2014-Schedule.png

oktarb

I'll try to attend, I'll be at Google that day so should be easy. What to do with my car though if I have 2 too many beers though...

Oh a get together near my neck of the woods. You can add one more to the list of attendees for the 27th. I see they have an elk burger at this place so I gotta try that. Anything else to do in or around that area?

Anyone work in the city and commute in using Caltrain? Wondering how painful that would be. I live/work basically at South Beach and our lease at a place a block or two away is up in a month. With a new baby and such, we'd like a bit more room, a nice neighborhood and hopefully save some money to feed the thing.

I'm looking all along Muni and Bart already, but wasn't sure if Caltrain is OK for daily usage.

I've found Caltrain to be more than ok for getting to the city. It can get a bit crowded for bikes though, if you use one. But now that they let people bring the compact bikes to the other train cars things have gotten a bit better for those that bring regular bikes. As a daily commute I don't think you can really go wrong with the Caltrain. Also look into the tech busses around here they might offer you more amenities that might be worth it.

Top Bottom