• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I could try but I don't even have time to get to GDC or a party at the moment. This week blows.

Any good places to eat within walking distance of SJSU?

Naglee Park Garage
Mexico Bakery (good tortas)
Vung Tau, its the only decent Vietnamese restaurant in the area and its pricey. You can walk to Da Kao to get Vietnamese sandwiches.
China Chen, which is across from Da Kao, is a downtown SJ staple.
I think there might be an Ike's near SJSU now.
Original Joes for big ass burgers. Everything else there is old school Chicago/Italian style meals.
Good Karma for vegan and good beer list.
Back-A-Yard for Jamaican food. It's quite a ways down past Market St. but you should definitely try it when you have a chance.

The best place near SJSU for my money is Sa By Thai, which is cheap and delicious thai food (that's open late) on 2nd and San Salvador.

On Santa Clara and 7th there's an extremely solid north Indian place called Punjab Cafe, plus they deliver.

On Paseo de San Antonio between 3rd and 4th there's a little spot with a Quickly (boba tea), Philz (omfg coffee), and a cute little place called La Lune Sucree that does crepes and croissant sandwiches. It's a great place to go for Friday champagne lunch when one of you coworkers gets $1000 thrown at her at the train station. (Long story.)

Oh, and Original Gravity on 1st and Post, amazing beer garden with a constantly rotating set of 16 good craft beers on tap, plus about 12 varieties of sausage (and like 4 vegan types), grilled cheese, and duck fat fries.

I think there might be an Ike's near SJSU now.

The Ike's is at 2nd and Santa Clara which is a few blocks off the north side of campus, so that's also a good choice.

The best place near SJSU for my money is Sa By Thai, which is cheap and delicious thai food (that's open late) on 2nd and San Salvador.

Oh, and Original Gravity on 1st and Post, amazing beer garden with a constantly rotating set of 16 good craft beers on tap, plus about 12 varieties of sausage (and like 4 vegan types), grilled cheese, and duck fat fries.

I forgot about Sa By Thai. Bonus points for being open late. Pho Tau Bay (pho place) is a few blocks from Sa By Thai and i think open until 3am.

There's also a grindy taqueria inside Grewal Liquors right near Sa By Thai that is good. Only like 4 items on the menu.

What rubs me wrong about Original Gravity are that the fries there suck because of them being frozen. Other than that, everything else there is not bad.

At Mikkelller for the next hour. Ping me if you're around.

Edit: Good to meet those from DICE, MS, and Naughty Dog.

You're all talented and tight lipped fellows and I wish you the best. I was drunk and celebrating a friend's divorce so there you go.

Cheers from me and GAF and all the best.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Anyone know what happened over on mission/excelsior st today? Looked serious but i haven't seen anything online today.

There was a fire at Walter and Duboce but I'm not sure that's what you're talking about. Pic:

dkfHBNh.png

Down in Fremont it was warm, but there was a nice breeze when I was walking around Lake Elizabeth. Definitely not "OMFG ITS HOT" levels like it's been the past two days.

There was a fire at Walter and Duboce but I'm not sure that's what you're talking about. Pic:

dkfHBNh.png

Either way, this just looks like - I hope everyone is okay.

In other news, anyone going to Big Wow in two weeks? I'm trying to see Gojira while I'm down there, but it only seems like it is playing in the SF or Palo Alto area. I have not yet been to the Met IMAX since MY RETURN. And holy shit, the Met is like, what the fuck. It's actually useful now. It looks amazing.

beat

Hey, I'm moving to SF soon. Any tips on finding a place to rent? I've been scouring Padmapper and to a lesser extent Craigslist. Would I do better to find temporary accomodations for a month so I can look when I'm actually local?

Hey, I'm moving to SF soon. Any tips on finding a place to rent? I've been scouring Padmapper and to a lesser extent Craigslist. Would I do better to find temporary accomodations for a month so I can look when I'm actually local?
Padmapper is how I found my apartment, but then I would tour in person

An extended stay hotel or Airbnb for temporary accommodations. You're on the right path for finding an apartment though. I've always used Craigslist.

I live at Hayes and Divis, my block is right at the turn on course after Alamo. Every year I think about how I could make a killing on renting out my bathroom.

If you are taking Muni back I'd highly reccomend the 31. Its off the main roads and tends to be relatively empty even during events.

butzopower

proud of his butz
We had a party at my place for B2B and a friend of a friend fell down some stairs hard and face planted in a pool of blood and unconsciousness. All while wearing a giant fake beard and mustache. He was able to walk himself to the ambulance.

Hell of a weekend. Hopefully the foggy summer can chill things out a bit.

Egnirys

Anyone going to Fanime????

I'm about to take off for it. I'm on staff this year and I'll be dressed as Elizabeth from Persona 3 or Edea from Bravely Default depending on the day. Say hi if you see me! :D

edit: Forgot to mention I'll be in the Cosplay Hangout room. It's on the first floor of the Hilton across from the bar. We have free water, A/C and lots of chairs.

Egnirys

Oooh sounds swanky with your free water.

we all know how rare water is getting to be.

It's going to be pretty hot + in pre-registration we've surpassed the peak attendance levels from last year so that's why I mentioned it. You don't need to be in a costume to come in and get some if you're thirsty.

It's going to be pretty hot + in pre-registration we've surpassed the peak attendance levels from last year so that's why I mentioned it. You don't need to be in a costume to come in and get some if you're thirsty.

Yes I get it, you are very generous.

(yea not sure where the line between sincerity and sarcasm is being perceived here.. its all in good fun)

I'll be going along with fellow staffer kale_mustang for our press unit, except we're only going on Sat/Sun. Probably gonna watch Days of the Future Past on Sunday night too :X.

Yep yep. Aside from con coverage, I'm looking to see if Psycho Donuts does their "donut sushi" packs again. Missed out last year.

I wanted to go this year, but plans fell through and I got busy this weekend anyway.

I'm probably going to try at least go to Japan Expo USA in August. Besides going to AX in July.

Awesome. Going to both of those for sure (AX flight is booked and JExpo was fun last year). Red_Taiyaki and I will be doing press for AX so we'll be around.

Saw two new residents in the canal/lake tonight over at Redwood Shores.

Two regal, fluffy looking ducks with really good posture and white necks.
A group of long necked water fowl that were doing synchronized ducking into the water and then coming back up.

Help me out here, BirdGAF.

wanders

I wanted to go this year, but plans fell through and I got busy this weekend anyway.

I'm probably going to try at least go to Japan Expo USA in August. Besides going to AX in July.

I'm just looking to buy Japanese toys/novelty stuff/snacks, is Japan Expo USA serviceable compared to Fanime?

Toki767

I wanted to go to Fanime, but man $50 entrance fee. I might as well spend that $50 on something I actually want than to hope I find something I like at the convention.

Yep yep. Aside from con coverage, I'm looking to see if Psycho Donuts does their "donut sushi" packs again. Missed out last year.

Awesome. Going to both of those for sure (AX flight is booked and JExpo was fun last year). Red_Taiyaki and I will be doing press for AX so we'll be around.

Y DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS MYSTICAL DONUT T.T

Top Bottom