• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

im from Boston and moved to chico ca if anyone has heard of that place, Its about a hour outside of sac. I love going to SF whenever I get the chance to go.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gonna see if I can make it as well. If I can bring games. Otherwise I literally have no idea what to do with myself at a bar. I'm talking big fantasy games that have a huge footprint and would look incredibly awkward in a bar. Those kinds of games.

Arkham-Horror.png

I'm looking all along Muni and Bart already, but wasn't sure if Caltrain is OK for daily usage.

Plan your daily schedule around the baby bullets so you can get to one every day with time to spare, otherwise you'll double (or worse) your commute time. Plan around one day completely lost to a train-track suicide a month.

wanders

Gonna see if I can make it as well. If I can bring games. Otherwise I literally have no idea what to do with myself at a bar. I'm talking big fantasy games that have a huge footprint and would look incredibly awkward in a bar. Those kinds of games.

Arkham-Horror.png

I'd go if Astro brings games

beat

Anyone ever use RentSFNow to find an apartment? I read a few Yelp reviews, but I figured I'd ask here too.

If I happen to get there before hand I'll set up shop at the bar area. I'm looking forward to trying this place out since I've never been to it. Look forward to seeing some of you fine distinguished folks again.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Rats! Have daddy duty tomorrow night because wife is away at a conference. We should do a little game night some time. :)

If I happen to get there before hand I'll set up shop at the bar area. I'm looking forward to trying this place out since I've never been to it. Look forward to seeing some of you fine distinguished folks again.
Cool. I should be there right around 7. The Tied House is solid but not spectacular.
Rats! Have daddy duty tomorrow night because wife is away at a conference. We should do a little game night some time. :)
Boooourns. Yes, let's set up something else soon.

beat

Can anyone recommend buses from SF to LA? I was vaguely thinking about popping down to LA every Saturday for about eight weeks and I'm pretty sure that's more than I can afford by plane. So I was thinking about taking Megabus, but now I read about how bad Megabus can be and I dunno now. (I don't have a car and even if I did, I wouldn't be driving there and back every weekend.)

Toki767

I took the Megabus from SF to LA and back again 2 years ago for the holidays. It was a bus. I'm not sure what more you could say about it, other than I paid $6 round trip. It took like 8-9 hours to get there though. Rather than 5-6 if you drive yourself.

beat

Only $6 to go to la and back? Is it really that cheap? Would one way be $3?
Megabus pricing depends on how far ahead you book.

I took the Megabus from SF to LA and back again 2 years ago for the holidays. It was a bus. I'm not sure what more you could say about it, other than I paid $6 round trip. It took like 8-9 hours to get there though. Rather than 5-6 if you drive yourself.
I just wanted to know if I'd be better off with Greyhound or something. (I also looked into trains, but there's one per day and it's far slower than the bus.)

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Megabus pricing depends on how far ahead you book.

I just wanted to know if I'd be better off with Greyhound or something. (I also looked into trains, but there's one per day and it's far slower than the bus.)

bring a sitting pillow for the ride. those seats are hard plastic with a thin pancake of fabric for your tush and a neck pillow.

plan ahead for comfort because no matter where you sit those bus seats are pretty rough.

beat

bring a sitting pillow for the ride. those seats are hard plastic with a thin pancake of fabric for your tush and a neck pillow.

plan ahead for comfort because no matter where you sit those bus seats are pretty rough.
Ah. Good advice. I wouldn't have known. Actually, as frugal and occasionally dumb as I am, I bet it would have taken me three or four trips before I though of those things.

Socreges

Banned
Hello, SF BayGAF.

Going on a road trip next week (from BC) and we'll be lucky enough to pass through SF for a few days.

We've got a few things we'd like to do, but I thought I'd ask the opinions of those who actually live there. ie, you people. Any suggestions welcome....

More specifically, what's the best beer store to go to if I'm interested in Russian River beers (eg, sours)??

Hello, SF BayGAF.

Going on a road trip next week (from BC) and we'll be lucky enough to pass through SF for a few days.

We've got a few things we'd like to do, but I thought I'd ask the opinions of those who actually live there. ie, you people. Any suggestions welcome....

More specifically, what's the best beer store to go to if I'm interested in Russian River beers (eg, sours)??

Toronado's, just prepare for the berating when you don't know what to order.
City Beer Store in SOMA
Monk's Kettle
Mikeller Bar
Rogue Ales
Zeitgeist

Since you'll be making your way down, might as well try and stop by Russian River Brewing Co. in Santa Rose (about an hour north of SF)

Hey guys! I'm one of you as of just a couple months ago (SF).

How many ppl here are in SF vs South Bay vs East Bay?

I split my time about 70/30 between South Bay and SF for work/pleasure. Rarely head to the east bay unless it's something food or music related.

Toronado's, just prepare for the berating when you don't know what to order.
City Beer Store in SOMA
Monk's Kettle
Mikeller Bar
Zeitgeist
I'll co-sign on this list. City Beer Store has actual bottles that you can take home, whereas the other ones are bars. Rosamunde on Mission has a good beer list, as well.
Since you'll be making your way down, might as well try and stop by Russian River Brewing Co. in Santa Rose (about an hour north of SF)
Yup, it's on the way down, and they have lots of good stuff. It's a lot of IPA, though they do have some other stuff.

Socreges

Banned
No joke - it's somehow a bit surreal to see you talking about stuff not related to TV, Cornballer. ;)

Sounds like we'll hit up City Beer Store for sure.

And Russian River is a must, yes. I'm a huge fan of IPAs and sours, so I'm pretty excited.

Thanks for the tips

Sounds like we'll hit up City Beer Store for sure.

And Russian River is a must, yes. I'm a huge fan of IPAs and sours, so I'm pretty excited.

Thanks for the tips

I haven't been to City Beer in a while, but you can hang out inside and drink some beer. Because it's technically a store, it closes early around 10pm. Beer Revolution has the same concept and is an awesome place, but across the bay in Oakland.

Slightly off topic, but theres a wacky cafe laundry mat nearby City Beer called Brainwash that serves food, coffee, and awful comedy stand up.

If you really love sours, try hitting up Cascade in Portland, Oregon on your way down :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anyone going to California Extreme this weekend? Acridmeat and I will be there.

Yep, I'm going with a couple friends as well. Haven't been before but it's like five minutes from my place and I like their games list. Just hope that a decent number of games are actually available to play as it looks like lots of people are going.

Socreges

Banned
I haven't been to City Beer in a while, but you can hang out inside and drink some beer. Because it's technically a store, it closes early around 10pm. Beer Revolution has the same concept and is an awesome place, but across the bay in Oakland.

Slightly off topic, but theres a wacky cafe laundry mat nearby City Beer called Brainwash that serves food, coffee, and awful comedy stand up.

If you really love sours, try hitting up Cascade in Portland, Oregon on your way down :)
Just checked this out and it seems like a wonderful idea. Somehow missed the memo...

Will also look into Brainwash. Thanks

AcridMeat

Banned
Yep, I'm going with a couple friends as well. Haven't been before but it's like five minutes from my place and I like their games list. Just hope that a decent number of games are actually available to play as it looks like lots of people are going.
Hey cool didn't know you were going! I went two years ago and the worst line for a game was 2 people. Most have 0-1 so it was fantastic to be occupied at some machine somewhere at all times. The show may have grown since then.

MrGerbils

Super late, but worth a shot.. I'm heading to CA extreme in a minute. Pretty new to SF bay and my buddy from work bailed on me so I'm heading over alone. If anyone's there I'd love to meet up.

harSon

Banned
Super late, but worth a shot.. I'm heading to CA extreme in a minute. Pretty new to SF bay and my buddy from work bailed on me so I'm heading over alone. If anyone's there I'd love to meet up.

Ah, I went last night. I've gone the last 3 years. Have a good time!

gcubed

So I have family coming to visit and they mentioned going to big basin... I have a 6 month old and they have a 5 year old, if we only do a small loop how walkable is it with the kids. The baby can be strapped to my chest as I'm assuming strollers won't work, it's the 5 yr old I'm more worried about.

Plus I've been here for a year next month and I haven't made it out with anyone here yet, I suck

Anyone checking out Jpop festival this weekend in SF? The girlfriend and I were planning on checking it out again this year. We had a blast last year. I can't wait to chow down on some ramen and sushi.

Dany

Banned
What are you interested in doing? We can throw around food, nightlife, and tourism recommendations depending on what you're up for. Be specific.

It'll be his first time there, and my first time since I was 8. (22 now). So generally I was thinking Golden Gate Bridge, is there anything to do at Coit tower?, Alcatraz and I know theres a great science museum in SF

Food recommendations too. We both have a slight aversion to asian cuisine but we're both willing to try since we'll be in San Fran. We're staying in Oakland, so I'm curious how much the BART costs.lso anything else would be great, nightlife and hidden gems too. :p Oh a beercade?

SO basically throw around what you would show family but also friends.

Anyone checking out Jpop festival this weekend in SF? The girlfriend and I were planning on checking it out again this year. We had a blast last year. I can't wait to chow down on some ramen and sushi.

Red_Taiyaki and I (along with a bunch of other friends) will be at JPop this weekend.

If you see someone wearing this One Piece hat on the left:

Then that'll be me.

Top Bottom