• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It'll be his first time there, and my first time since I was 8. (22 now). So generally I was thinking Golden Gate Bridge, is there anything to do at Coit tower?, Alcatraz and I know theres a great science museum in SF

Food recommendations too. We both have a slight aversion to asian cuisine but we're both willing to try since we'll be in San Fran. We're staying in Oakland, so I'm curious how much the BART costs.lso anything else would be great, nightlife and hidden gems too. :p Oh a beercade?

SO basically throw around what you would show family but also friends.

Go to Soda Popinskis and become friends with bar regular Dan Ryckert.

What we do with everyone who comes and visits us is a hike of the city. We park at the wharf, walk up and look at all that touristy bullshit. Then we get fish and chips and the Codmother, then have an Irish Coffee at Buena Vista. Then we start walkng up the hill. You will reach Lombard St (the crooked street). Walk down that and continue hiking to Coit Tower. We never bother going up. Then hike down the other side through an amazing little neighborhood, down about 700 steps, and back down towards the Wharf. You get some great views along the way and you experience the hills of San Francisco.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Red_Taiyaki and I (along with a bunch of other friends) will be at JPop this weekend.

If you see someone wearing this One Piece hat on the left:

Then that'll be me.

Well saw you I think, saw someone wearing the hat. Would have gone over but I was walking with my cousin. The crowd there was INSANE. Basically left after finding a bathroom lol but at least I got some street passes.

Well saw you I think, saw someone wearing the hat. Would have gone over but I was walking with my cousin. The crowd there was INSANE. Basically left after finding a bathroom lol but at least I got some street passes.

If said person was wearing either a blue hoody or a red t-shirt, then yep, that was me. I ended up eating from Bacon Bacon rather than ramen. Maybe tomorrow I'll go for ramen but not sure.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Ya, tried going but the lines were ridiculous. Tried to go to Katana-ya and Ramen Underground (on Kearny) and the wait was like an hour there, too. Gonna have to get a ramen fix midweek.

Really surprised no ones opening up more ramen joints when the demand is totally there.

Fuck that Ramen fest, stood in line for 4 hours, it looked like the line was about to end, nope. Oh only another 30 minutes, nope.

Fuck all those groups letting their friends cut in line or the assholes ordering like 20 ramen. Best/worst part I did some shopping then came back an hour later, no lines at all around 5 o' clock, lol.

Ramen was glorious thou

Heh, got there around 11 and there were lines literally everywhere already.

Was considering getting an autograph from Kei and that line was crazy. Didn't even bother lining for ramen and all the restaurants had crazy lines as well.

Went to the Richmond hopefully for food but couldn't even find a restaurant that wasn't filled with lines either. Had to go to the Sunset for food. Man, why is there so much people today ._.

Biggest issue was freaking LINECON just to get into the parking structure. The amount of jackasses cutting people off to get inside a single entrance... Bullshit.

AcridMeat

Banned
I forgot the ramen fest was this weekend, though after hearing from friends and reading this thread it seems like a blessing in disguise.
Pretty sure that requires going to Japan for some of these stands, if I'm not mistaken.
Sounds like we got our next meet sorted, Butz. BayGAF Japan 2014.

Dany

Banned
Go to Soda Popinskis and become friends with bar regular Dan Ryckert.

What we do with everyone who comes and visits us is a hike of the city. We park at the wharf, walk up and look at all that touristy bullshit. Then we get fish and chips and the Codmother, then have an Irish Coffee at Buena Vista. Then we start walkng up the hill. You will reach Lombard St (the crooked street). Walk down that and continue hiking to Coit Tower. We never bother going up. Then hike down the other side through an amazing little neighborhood, down about 700 steps, and back down towards the Wharf. You get some great views along the way and you experience the hills of San Francisco.

Ha, yeah we'll be sure to stalk Dan and Drew. But nonetheless thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to do that. :)

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I've seen Rorie a few times, but he's always with his lady and I'd feel weird intruding on their day out.

It'll be his first time there, and my first time since I was 8. (22 now). So generally I was thinking Golden Gate Bridge, is there anything to do at Coit tower?, Alcatraz and I know theres a great science museum in SF

Food recommendations too. We both have a slight aversion to asian cuisine but we're both willing to try since we'll be in San Fran. We're staying in Oakland, so I'm curious how much the BART costs.lso anything else would be great, nightlife and hidden gems too. :p Oh a beercade?

SO basically throw around what you would show family but also friends.
Food is tough to recommend as there's so much of it. The SF Chronicle's Bargain Bites list is a good place to start.

It's well worth walking the Golden Gate bridge. Alcatraz is fun, too, but remember to get a reservation in advance for whenever you want to go. It's also worth walking through North Beach on Columbus St and there's some fun stuff in the Mission as far as bars and restaurants go.

BART is probably about $3-5 from Oakland to the city depending on where you get off.

What kind of nightlife are you looking for? Dive bars? Cocktail bars? Clubs?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm thinking of renting a puppy for a day to lure Rorie.

great, but creepy idea.

get a van while you're at it too.

also, does anyone use Astound internet service? My roommates and I are thinking of leaving Comcast for the warm embrace of Fiber Optics and small companies.

any thoughts on the service?

also, does anyone use Astound internet service? My roommates and I are thinking of leaving Comcast for the warm embrace of Fiber Optics and small companies.

any thoughts on the service?
I don't know anything about Astound, but if you're in their service area, I'd recommend Monkey Brains. The setup fee is a little pricey, but it's reasonably priced and fast once you have it. Great customer service, too.

Dany

Banned
Cocktail bars? Clubs?

Thanks for the advice. That SF link is astounding, so many options. It'd be crazy to eat out every day but damn everything looks good there. And regarding nightlife, mostly those two if we have the time.

I was taking a look at SFgate for any shows and unfortunately there wasn't much happening in our stay, bummer.

SF GAF, I need comfort.

We currently live in Lancaster, PA and I've lived on the East Coast my entire life. My wife got accepted for a job in San Francisco as a senior brand manager for a company near 1st and Mission. It's good money and she's really struggled to find a job so even though I currently have a position as a State Director for a mental health company, I think we might make the move.

I've got two questions:

-Where we should we look to live?
-What are my job prospects like?

Our living preferences:

1. We don't like yuppies. We have enough of them as friends on the East Coast and while we love them, it gets tedious being around them and the places they live are just soul sucking.

2. We like ethnic food, both restaurants and grocery shopping for ourselves.

3. My wife is Indian and her favorite cultures are Indian and whiteys. I like everyone, especially if they play board games or video games.

4. We would need a 2 bedroom apartment, preferably something newish and modern.

5. Neither of us drink much, but we're not opposed to people who do so long as its a relatively safe community.

My job preferences:

1. Management Information Systems - Mental Health
2. Operations Management - Mental Health
3. Management Information Systems - Health
4. Management Information Systems - Anywhere

Right now I'm looking around the Mission District. What I'm reading says its pretty multi-cultural, and I've heard it mentioned favorably on the Giant Bomb Cast (I love burritos). Some of these apartment prices are fucking ridiculous, though.

Here in Lancaster I can get a brand new 3 bedroom modern-style apartment with 2 car garage and all the fixings for less than 1.5k a month.

That gets me a broom closet in some of these places.

The Mission isn't a bad bet given your somewhat unattainable set of criteria. There are areas that aren't as safe as one would like around the edges, and you're unlikely to find something new and modern. Your best bet might be to get a temporary place when you show up to get a feel for the city and then use that as a base to find something more permanent. Keep in mind that there will be a lot of sticker shock since just about everything is extremely expensive right now on the rental market. Many people live outside the city and commute in due to the prices.

I don't know enough about those job markets to provide any advice for you, but perhaps someone else here can.

Thanks for the advice. That SF link is astounding, so many options. It'd be crazy to eat out every day but damn everything looks good there. And regarding nightlife, mostly those two if we have the time.
As far as bars go, there's a lot of great cocktail places around the city. Here are two lists. Off of them, I like Bourbon & Branch (need a reservation there), Alembic, and Berretta. I've heard good things about Trick Dog and Smuggler's Cove.

I'm not familiar with the club scene.

Right now I'm looking around the Mission District. What I'm reading says its pretty multi-cultural, and I've heard it mentioned favorably on the Giant Bomb Cast (I love burritos). Some of these apartment prices are fucking ridiculous, though.

Here in Lancaster I can get a brand new 3 bedroom modern-style apartment with 2 car garage and all the fixings for less than 1.5k a month.

That gets me a broom closet in some of these places.

$1500 would get you 1/2 or maybe 1/3 of that in SF hahaha. Seriously though Bay Area housing in general is expensive. SF has a lot of Bio and Tech companies. Theres a lot of tech companies in general in the Bay Area, especially if you go further south to the San Jose/Mountain View/Santa Clara area (Silicon Valley)

I would say the Mission District probably fits what you're looking for if you really want to be in SF. Mission District is becoming more and more desirable for younger adults so it'll get more expensive. Very culturally diverse, very alive, not "yuppie" but SF is jokingly known to be snobby.

Yeah, I've resigned myself to the fact that we'll be looking at ~4k per month rent.

That said, I'm expanding my searches a bit north and south of the city (don't know anything about the Oakland area, so let me know if I should look there too). There's some nice properties just north of the Golden Gate, and some other nice areas around Outer Mission and Visitacion Valley. I'll need to look up info on those communities.

beat

Yeah, I've resigned myself to the fact that we'll be looking at ~4k per month rent.

That said, I'm expanding my searches a bit north and south of the city (don't know anything about the Oakland area, so let me know if I should look there too). There's some nice properties just north of the Golden Gate, and some other nice areas around Outer Mission and Visitacion Valley. I'll need to look up info on those communities.
First and Mission would be Soma/downtown? I would imagine living in the North Bay would make for a horrendous commute. (And parking fees downtown would be quite high too.)

Acid08

Banned
That bomb threat at the Coliseum today almost fucked up me getting to the airport today. As I was walking into the platform a guy stops me and says all SF bound trains aren't running because of a bomb threat. Panicked hard and luckily a friend of mine was able to get me there with barely enough time to make my flight.

First and Mission would be Soma/downtown? I would imagine living in the North Bay would make for a horrendous commute. (And parking fees downtown would be quite high too.)

Yeah, in between SoMa and Telegraph Hill.

I checked the traffic right now (I guess 8 PM PST) and it doesn't look bad - around 25 minutes. How bad would it be during rush hour? Is the Golden Gate Bridge a nightmare?

Coming in from the North Bay is rough during commuter hours. Some of the buses might be reasonable, but in general, I think your best bet is on a BART line somewhere.

Coming in from the North Bay is rough during commuter hours. Some of the buses might be reasonable, but in general, I think your best bet is on a BART line somewhere.

Good call, just checked and her office is a block and a half from the Emarcadero station.

Odd how none of the lines go up the Golden Gate route.

Until they go on strike.

Given that you want a lot of space and no yuppies, forget about SF. Go east bay. Alternatively, go south bay and take caltrain * walk or bart.

In any case prepare for an hour of commute.

That said, I'm expanding my searches a bit north and south of the city (don't know anything about the Oakland area, so let me know if I should look there too)

Oakland is a much better fit for your interests than trying to squeeze out space at a reasonable price in the city, I think.

As far as bars go, there's a lot of great cocktail places around the city. Here are two lists. Off of them, I like Bourbon & Branch (need a reservation there), Alembic, and Berretta. I've heard good things about Trick Dog and Smuggler's Cove.

Alchemist is also pretty good.

That bomb threat at the Coliseum today almost fucked up me getting to the airport today. As I was walking into the platform a guy stops me and says all SF bound trains aren't running because of a bomb threat. Panicked hard and luckily a friend of mine was able to get me there with barely enough time to make my flight.

I was on the 7:45am train from Dublin and yeah, today was rather eventful (not really...) but I did decide to be proactive and take the AC transit bus from Bay Fair. Contacted Clipper just in case they charge me for the bus ride to Fruitvale (apparently the driver was waving people onto the bus after I tagged my card) as it seems that Bart was taking care of people having to use the bus bridge.

Was only an hour late to work but man, it was rough.

Of course shit like this had to happen on a Friday...

Oakland is a much better fit for your interests than trying to squeeze out space at a reasonable price in the city, I think.

Yeah, I found 3 nice apartments right near the Oakland BART lines that we could do 3 bedrooms for around 4k a month, and she'd have a pretty quick commute (<2 block walk to station, 12 minute ride, another <2 block walk).

With all the different communities around the area, I'm hoping it won't be too difficult finding something in the mental health industry.

MrGerbils

I'm from Texas, and recently came up from LA... this is the worst. I thought coming up north would get me out of the heat, not intensify it.

How long does summer usually last up here? When can I expect some dependably nice weather again?

I'm from Texas, and recently came up from LA... this is the worst. I thought coming up north would get me out of the heat, not intensify it.

How long does summer usually last up here? When can I expect some dependably nice weather again?
Where are you staying? A lot of the Bay Area can be hot during the Summer, but it's regional and will depend on where you are specifically.

Summers will last a week up here, but for everyone up here it will feel like eternity.
Same thing for the Winter.

Top Bottom