• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Cheska

Anyone ever frequent Pt. Isabelle in Richmond? Went last week to escape the heat in the East Bay, and I had a great time. Both my dogs had a blast too, didn't come across any aggressive dogs, and they were both out cold by the time we got home!

The housing prices here. Man. 1.2 for 1200 sqft in San Jose (yeah I know this is an extreme example, but still; housing-wise this place makes me miss Manhattan).

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/6363-Rainbow-Dr_San-Jose_CA_95129_M13118-46519

It is in a fairly desirable area. It's the gray area of San Jose/Saratoga/Cupertino, but paying San Jose zip code prices. Something like that in Saratoga/Cupertino would be $1.5m+

My friend lives down the street and is technically Cupertino, 2bd/1bth, less than 1000sq ft, and just a carport (not even a fucking garage)….Appraised at $1.2m

v1lla21

House prices in SJ are ridiculous. I lived in Los Banos for a while and it was super cheap there. Parents lost the house and we moved back to SJ. We've been living in a mobile home for the past 7 years and started looking for a good house here in SJ but we can't find anything affordable.

The housing prices here. Man. 1.2 for 1200 sqft in San Jose (yeah I know this is an extreme example, but still; housing-wise this place makes me miss Manhattan).

It's hard to take even the idea of buying property out here seriously when I come from a place where 1200 sqft in a decent neighborhood goes for $80k.

I live relatively close to that property and know first hand how expensive it can really get. And for that area and the schools you have access to that is cheap. There are properties around my neighborhood that are going for twice that if not more due to the bidding wars. A lot of the values are going to continue to rise as more Apple employees buy up the houses near here.

While I might live on the Sunnyvale/Cupertino border I see the changes on a daily basis. I fear what happens when the apartment complexes around here catch the greed bug. I can see a lot of the lower income apartments being sold off to foreign companies to revamp them into high-end apartment homes. In fact thats what I fear is going on with the place I currently am renting.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It's hard to take even the idea of buying property out here seriously when I come from a place where 1200 sqft in a decent neighborhood goes for $80k.

It's even more mind boggling if you grew up here and remember how much real estate was 30+ years ago. Never mind things like bridge toll prices.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yep I lived in Arizona for ten years. Your 20% on a decent 3br here would buy you a mansion in a very desirable area there.

Yep I lived in Arizona for ten years. Your 20% on a decent 3br here would buy you a mansion in a very desirable area there.

I have a remote team of three developers in Detroit and we keep joking in the office that we could just buy them a giant house to work in for less than the yearly salary of one extra developer.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I do love it out here but it is rough. I feel like the architecture is a bit wasteful of space too generally of the homes I've seen. I really don't like multi-levels though.

I just want enough space for my family and maaayyyybe a little extra room for a pinball. That's all I ask!

I have a remote team of three developers in Detroit and we keep joking in the office that we could just buy them a giant house to work in for less than the yearly salary of one extra developer.

I would post an image of Orson Welles clapping if that image was actually contextually wise for this situation.

overcast

Made a thread last year, but I'm coming to SF/San Jose next Tuesday (again). Looking for some ideas and tips (again). I've done quite a bit as I've been in the great city 2/3 times.

Going to OutsideLands on Friday, but from Wednesday until Saturday I'll be in the city. Biggest change since last time, I'm 21. Any great bar hopping areas? What food do I need to try? I've done things like Ike's, mission district burritos, and I've seen Berkeley; I'm willing to experiment, but I prefer meals in the 10-15 dollar area. Would love to check out any cool shops that are worth seeing.

Places I've been: Golden Gate bridge, Twin Peaks, Wharf (yuck), Japan Town (one of my favorites), quite a bit of downtown, China Town.. and I can't really remember what else. I'll be with friends, don't know if that makes a difference, including one couple.

Made a thread last year, but I'm coming to SF/San Jose next Tuesday (again). Looking for some ideas and tips (again). I've done quite a bit as I've been in the great city 2/3 times.

Going to OutsideLands on Friday, but from Wednesday until Saturday I'll be in the city. Biggest change since last time, I'm 21. Any great bar hopping areas? What food do I need to try? I've done things like Ike's, mission district burritos, and I've seen Berkeley; I'm willing to experiment, but I prefer meals in the 10-15 dollar area. Would love to check out any cool shops that are worth seeing.

Places I've been: Golden Gate bridge, Twin Peaks, Wharf (yuck), Japan Town (one of my favorites), quite a bit of downtown, China Town.. and I can't really remember what else. I'll be with friends, don't know if that makes a difference, including one couple.
for bar hopping the mission is probably the best place imo. Blondie's, Zeitgeist, El Rio, The Sycamore (not really the bar hopping kind, but really cool small bar with great beer), Beauty Bar, etc.

Moving from the Haight to Castro / Eureka Valley today after 3 1/2 years. Wish me luck!
How'd the move go?

Go to the Ferry Building for food. Lots of good stuff there and a couple of places where you can drink. The Mission is a fun place to bar hop, too.

I really enjoy the Cliff House/Sutro Baths and walking the Lands End Trail as a touristy but not touristy thing. If you can catch a day where there's little fog (ha?), I'd definitely recommend heading over there, grabbing a lunch or brunch at Louis', and taking in the sights. Even if you only walk a little bit down the trail, you can see the Baths (or walk down to them) and see one of the best views of the bridge (again, on a less foggy day).

overcast

I did a trail that had a good view of the bridge, not sure if it was the same one. Thanks guys, sounds like Mission is a great place to grab drinks on a Saturday.

Go to Soda Popinskis and become friends with bar regular Dan Ryckert.

What we do with everyone who comes and visits us is a hike of the city. We park at the wharf, walk up and look at all that touristy bullshit. Then we get fish and chips and the Codmother, then have an Irish Coffee at Buena Vista. Then we start walkng up the hill. You will reach Lombard St (the crooked street). Walk down that and continue hiking to Coit Tower. We never bother going up. Then hike down the other side through an amazing little neighborhood, down about 700 steps, and back down towards the Wharf. You get some great views along the way and you experience the hills of San Francisco.

This. You do exactly what I do.

Of note, you can get an Irish Coffee to go from Buena Vista.

overcast

Anything in Oakland, or across the bridge? I thought berkely was pretty cool last time.

Hope you guys don't mind me popping in here a few times in the next week for some things to do.

Just lost my job at Genentech, anyone have any recommendations?

are there any game developers in the SF bay area? I only see smaller devs.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just lost my job at Genentech, anyone have any recommendations?

What role? If you want to stick to biotech, there's plenty of other similar companies. Bayer, Novartis, etc.

are there any game developers in the SF bay area? I only see smaller devs.

Plenty...big publishers like EA, 2K, Ubisoft, Sega, Sony, etc all have offices or headquarters up here. Plenty of devs up here too aside from studios owned by the guys listed above (i.e. Maxis, Crystal Dynamics, Visual Concepts, etc) like Telltale and Sledgehammer. And a bunch of smaller devs, start ups, and of course other mobile devs like Zynga.

Game salaries don't really compare to their equivalent tech/software development counterparts though.

Just look around job postings on LinkedIn, Indeed, AngelList, VentureLoop, even Craigslist may give you a decent lead. May take a while though - took me 11 months to find something after I was laid off last year.

Hey Bay Area GAF,

Is anyone planning on having any meetups anytime soon? Would love to meet some of ya'll in person! I currently live in Oakland near Lake Merritt and 19th St. BART and work in the Financial District, so maybe an East Bay/SF GAF meetup would be better?

My fav is Pho Kim Long. The place that harSon mentioned is very solid as well.

Regardless, I'd be down as well for anyone who's around the South Bay area.

That place is regarded the best and super cheap too.
Finding a terrible pho place is as impossible as finding a terrible taqueria.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Man I am hating the humidity this week. If I wanted humidity like this, I'd live in a mansion in some shithole state.

Quick reccomendations for some late food in SJ? Anything except sandwiches (already had one).

I believe Tacos Autlense is open until 3am.
Pho Tau Bay (Vietnamese) are open until midnight
Sa By Thai (Thai) near SJSU is open until midnight

I highly suggest Gaku in West SJ for some izakaya type food, also open until midnight.

La Vics and Iguanas are open very late, but should be a very last resort. Actually just avoid it altogether.

Cheska

I know most of you are out in SF, but anyone have any ramen or Chinese food recommendations for the Sacramento area? We were out here for Stocktoncon and haven't tried anything in this area.

AcridMeat

Banned
I know most of you are out in SF, but anyone have any ramen or Chinese food recommendations for the Sacramento area? We were out here for Stocktoncon and haven't tried anything in this area.
A friend goes up there fairly frequently and has told me about the great ramen place they get haha.

This is where they go, Ryujin.

They just recommended the Kuro Tonkatsu, Geso and Chahan, but said it's all good.

overcast

Alright, one last thing. Anything around downtown to see/do? That isn't a bar (one of us isn't 21), kinda not sure for tonight.

Could be a bit out of the city too.

Dany

Banned
It's gonna be mid 60's all during our visit. D: So cool, might have to pack some pants :/ We have most of details ironed out, restaurants picked and etc. Thanks again cornballer for that food link. :)

How worth it is House of Prime RIb? Prices are out of our range a fair bit but we might pack a few more lunches if we're swayed.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's gonna be mid 60's all during our visit. D: So cool, might have to pack some pants :/ We have most of details ironed out, restaurants picked and etc. Thanks again cornballer for that food link. :)

How worth it is House of Prime RIb? Prices are out of our range a fair bit but we might pack a few more lunches if we're swayed.

House of Prime Rib is fine, but eh. Eat more Mission Burritos and Dim Sum.

House of Prime Rib is a fun experience, but I don't feel like any of it is uniquely San Francisco. Plus, it's a little pricey. I agree with Yaboosh is saying - try out some stuff that you're less likely to find elsewhere.

I'm going to a concert at the Great American Music Hall in SF tomorrow, and it seems like taking Bart and walking there will take me through a seedy neighborhood. Any tips or should I just drive? I wouldn't care if I was with a group of friends but I'm going solo.

Top Bottom