• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

AcridMeat

Banned
Watching KTVU and apparently Robin Williams died in Marin county. Just thought that was crazy. Had no idea he lived around here.
Yep, he was regularly spotted around my area riding his bike and out and about. It freaking sucks he's gone.
I'm going to a concert at the Great American Music Hall in SF tomorrow, and it seems like taking Bart and walking there will take me through a seedy neighborhood. Any tips or should I just drive? I wouldn't care if I was with a group of friends but I'm going solo.
If you drive you can try parking closer to The Regency and walking down Van Ness, then onto O'Farrell where GAMH is. That walk is fine as it's only a block or two with some homeless and a strip club. It's if you keep going on O'Farrell that it gets shitty.

It sucks because there used to be a parking garage right on Van Ness by Tommy's Joint that was perfect but it closed.

Guevara

I'm going to a concert at the Great American Music Hall in SF tomorrow, and it seems like taking Bart and walking there will take me through a seedy neighborhood. Any tips or should I just drive? I wouldn't care if I was with a group of friends but I'm going solo.

It is definitely a sketchy area. I saw a show there recently and took Muni and the 2 block walk was uncomfortable.

butzopower

proud of his butz

The walk to Van Ness from Civic Center via Market is fine. If you are really scared, you can take any outbound MUNI for free from CC to Van Ness.

GAMH is like 8 or 9 blocks down Van Ness, I usually walk it and hop on a 47 or 49 if one passes me by, since you can transfer from the MUNI.

The walk to Van Ness from Civic Center via Market is fine. If you are really scared, you can take any outbound MUNI for free from CC to Van Ness.

GAMH is like 8 or 9 blocks down Van Ness, I usually walk it and hop on a 47 or 49 if one passes me by, since you can transfer from the MUNI.
I think I might do this, just hope the concert finishes in time for me to make the long walk back and get to Bart before the last east bay train leaves. Alternatively, hopefully a group of people also heads to Bart and I can walk with them through the shorter route.

Thanks guys!

Dany

Banned
I wasn't expecting it to be this muggy :x we have the Exploratorium to do tonight but before that I think we're just gonna walk around.

beat

77% humidity isn't muggy? I find at this temp (18C/65F) and humidity, standing around in the humidity is fine but even walking around, things very quickly get unpleasantly muggy.

I think I might do this, just hope the concert finishes in time for me to make the long walk back and get to Bart before the last east bay train leaves. Alternatively, hopefully a group of people also heads to Bart and I can walk with them through the shorter route.

Thanks guys!

Keep Uber on your phone. That way if you find yourself anywhere you don't feel comfortable, you can just call a car.

sarcastor

PaulRudd-218x300.jpg

San Francisco will be the backdrop for another blockbuster movie that is set to start filming in the city next week.

It’s been called “Bigfoot” on filming notice fliers and permits and will shoot next week in the Tenderloin and around Buena Vista Park. The movie stars Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas, both of whom will be in town for the shoot. Many have noted that “Bigfoot” appears to be “Ant-Man,” a movie based off a Marvel comic. The IMDB page for Ant-Man lists Rudd and Douglas as stars

http://blog.sfgate.com/stew/2014/08/14/ant-man-movie-filming-in-s-f-next-week/

Blearth

Banned
It's gonna be mid 60's all during our visit. D: So cool, might have to pack some pants :/ We have most of details ironed out, restaurants picked and etc. Thanks again cornballer for that food link. :)

How worth it is House of Prime RIb? Prices are out of our range a fair bit but we might pack a few more lunches if we're swayed.

It's mid-60s all year long.

There is no weather in San Francisco.

Dany

Banned
Like the weather can be perfect for two hours in the day but that's it lol.

Today is breakfast in the mission, presido, gg bridge, stuff and castro.

Afrikan

Nothing like waking up to an Earthquake....aaaah like old times aye?

D:

I have no power..hopefully they fix this shit before the 9er game..or else I'll have to step out.

gcubed

D:

I have no power..hopefully they fix this shit before the 9er game..or else I'll have to step out.

My first earthquake experience... Unless you count the one on the east coast a few years ago, but this I actually felt.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Anyone here actually in American Canyon? Got pretty shook here in Vallejo.

I have a few friends in AC, but I'm in Vallejo also. Quake woke me up, but I went to sleep again soon after lol.

Felt stronger and longer than Loma Prieta, but then again the epicenter for this one was only a few miles away.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I have a few friends in AC, but I'm in Vallejo also. Quake woke me up, but I went to sleep again soon after lol.

Felt stronger and longer than Loma Prieta, but then again the epicenter for this one was only a few miles away.

We are in Vallejo too, the sound was strong but the actual shaking for us seemed really quick and not that strong. We are right on the Strait.

Only the second or third quake we have felt since moving here 4 years ago.

Felt it in SF, but I was too tired and just wanted to keep going to sleep through it

It was pretty long but I guess I'm used to earthquakes even if they don't happen that often these days

I was kinda tempted to tweet during it

AcridMeat

Banned
First time I'd woken up from a quake. It lasted a good long while, long enough to get a little nervous of something worse.

That said I went to sleep immediately after.
After taking a piss.

Acid08

Banned
Yeah that quake woke me up too, knocked some stuff over but didn't seem all that bad.

Then later I woke up out of a dream I was having where snakes were wrapping themselves around my throat and biting me.

Pretty decent night overall.

butzopower

proud of his butz
My friend is coming in from SFO on Tuesday and neither me or my girlfriend know how to drive. Anyone know of a service that would be willing to pick him up with his dog? He probably can't take the dog on BART, right?

My friend is coming in from SFO on Tuesday and neither me or my girlfriend know how to drive. Anyone know of a service that would be willing to pick him up with his dog? He probably can't take the dog on BART, right?

Why not. I don't think there will be anyone to stop him. As long as he doesn't shit/pee, it is fine with me.

D:

I was in my upstairs office. My rolling chair started wobbling. After it ended, my chair and floor were still shaking from small aftershocks, even though they were not percievable anywhere else.

Thought I was dreaming initially when the quake happened, so I was woken up. The "waves" lulled me back to sleep once it was all done.

Nothing fell nor was there any damage at home.

Toki767

I was up late playing Diablo 3...felt the quake, looked around and saw nothing falling, so shrugged it off and continued playing.

Uber lets drivers decide their own policy on animals. Last I heard they say to call your driver as soon as they accept your request and tell them you have a pet.

Snakepit

San Jose checking in here....

Have any of you been to smugglers cove in SF, or any good bars in San Francisco?

I haven't checked out the bar scene there yet but I've been meaning to do it

San Jose checking in here....

Have any of you been to smugglers cove in SF, or any good bars in San Francisco?

I haven't checked out the bar scene there yet but I've been meaning to do it
From a couple weeks ago:

As far as bars go, there's a lot of great cocktail places around the city. Here are two lists. Off of them, I like Bourbon & Branch (need a reservation there), Alembic, and Berretta. I've heard good things about Trick Dog and Smuggler's Cove.

Nesotenso

need SF baygaf's input.

My sister is a civil engineer who just landed a 9 month on-site assignment. Her office is around Arnold Road, Dublin, CA and the trailer site is at Amador St., San Francisco, CA. She is looking for a 1 bedroom apartment somewhere between the main office in Dublin and was looking to commute to the trailer site (where she will spend a lot of time).

It seems using public transit to get to the site is out of the question. If she does in the middle of the two locations, so that is easy to get to either of them, which areas/neighborhoods are her best options? Something affordable and in a safe neighborhood would be great. Also does crossing the baybridge every day get expensive? How much is she looking at spending if she uses fastrak?

better to live in SF proper or in Oakland?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Its pretty expensive to live in sf but if the job is there youll spend less time getting there. Rush hour on the bridge is hell and bart isnt that much better.

That's a difficult question as the route between those two places has a ton of traffic. I suppose she's best off living in SF and reverse commuting out to Dublin if she has the option of doing so. The other direction (East Bay into SF in the morning) is brutal if you're driving. BART is manageable, but as you said she's not too close on either end of it.

As far as neighborhoods go in the city, the office is close to the T-line, so anything along there (Potrero, Dogpatch, Mission Bay, SOMA) are manageable on transit. Then she could just use the car to get out to Dublin when she has to go there. A safe 1-bedrrom is going to be very expensive, though. I suppose she could also live somewhere BART accessible and then take that to the T-line, but that's a very long commute from most places.

Toki767

So she will be working in SF aside from a few times where she will need to actually drive to the site?

Probably better to actually live in SF if possible. Most of my coworkers think commuting into SF is pretty horrible and that's just taking BART, probably even worse driving.

need SF baygaf's input.

My sister is a civil engineer who just landed a 9 month on-site assignment. Her office is around Arnold Road, Dublin, CA and the trailer site is at Amador St., San Francisco, CA. She is looking for a 1 bedroom apartment somewhere between the main office in Dublin and was looking to commute to the trailer site (where she will spend a lot of time).

It seems using public transit to get to the site is out of the question. If she does in the middle of the two locations, so that is easy to get to either of them, which areas/neighborhoods are her best options? Something affordable and in a safe neighborhood would be great. Also does crossing the baybridge every day get expensive? How much is she looking at spending if she uses fastrak?

I live in Dublin and commute to San Francisco daily, it's long and you are truly at the mercy of Bart so if there's another bomb scare or an accident on the tracks, options to getting to the city are quite limited.

That said, (East) Dublin is the end of the line and is one of the main routes that goes directly to and from San Francisco daily so no need for transfers. Parking at (East) Dublin/Pleasanton is currently poo due to all the construction but you can park either at Hacienda (on the Dublin side) or Walmart (on the Pleasanton side) in a pinch. West Dublin seems a bit easier in finding parking due to Stoneridge Mall being right there. It's not too bad in Dublin, but the prices for homes do seem to rising around the town but there are tons of apartments/condos being built.

On the other hand, she could try living in San Francisco and reverse commute, but still, it's a long trip out and of course, San Francisco is getting pricer in terms of housing as we speak.

I have family that live in Oakland and usually just Bart into the city, which is about a 15 min. trip and has all of the routes available, depending on the station. Oakland is a nice in-between city to live while the Downtown area is growing nicely to attract people. First Fridays is quite awesome and there's always stuff to do, plus it's very close to other places such as Temescal, Berkeley, Emeryville, etc. Housing is still affordable in the downtown area as well as new places springing up too.

Guess it's up to your sister to figure out what she's willing to do really.

butzopower

proud of his butz
need SF baygaf's input.

This is a bit presumptuous, but if she's doing an on-site job, I imagine whoever she's working for should be willing to pay the bill on wherever she's staying. The difference in rent of staying in SF versus East Bay over a few months will be a few thousand dollars, sure, but if they are going to need her on-site in SF more often than not it will be much more in their interest to put her up in SF.

If it's more a matter of them fronting the cost and her being tasked with the logistics, my advice is to ask for accommodation in the Dogpatch, as that will provide the most ease of transportation all around, and is also a decent neighborhood to stay in.

Meanwhile, it's been a relatively quiet week in SF because of Burning Man. The only minor snarl is some traffic because of the 280N closure in the city for retrofit work.

Toki767

Meanwhile, it's been a relatively quiet week in SF because of Burning Man. The only minor snarl is some traffic because of the 280N closure in the city for retrofit work.

I'm happy every time they close 280 or even the Bay Bridge. That means I can drive to downtown and it's not super crowded.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I feel like it's gotten better in South Bay the last couple days. Friday is always pretty decent though. Daytime heat I could do without, but been going on evening runs (~7) and damn the weather is amazing once the sun goes down.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm going to Pacific Pinball Museum in Alameda tomorrow for the first time. Any recommendations? We're thinking of getting there when they open (1130) and just playing pinballs for a few hours. Seems like they have a really nice lineup.

Top Bottom