• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

I'm going to Pacific Pinball Museum in Alameda tomorrow for the first time. Any recommendations? We're thinking of getting there when they open (1130) and just playing pinballs for a few hours. Seems like they have a really nice lineup.

Not in Alameda, but reasonably close and worth checking out.

Bakesale Betty's in Oakland/Claremont
Brown Sugar Kitchen in Oakland
Beer Revolution in Oakland/Jack London Square (closest to where you'll be)

One more reason I don't like this area: our rent just went up to $1900. Now more than half our income will go towards rent. This is in Belmont. Rent when we got here 2 years ago was an affordable $1650, then it just increased to $1750 a year ago (MAYBE), now $1900. There's no where else that's affordable on the pennisula. Sigh.

t26

There is no rent control in San Mateo County. At least in San Francisco there is rent control and a lot more help for tenants.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm going to Pacific Pinball Museum in Alameda tomorrow for the first time. Any recommendations? We're thinking of getting there when they open (1130) and just playing pinballs for a few hours. Seems like they have a really nice lineup.

Faction Brewing is the best brewery in the East Bay and it is right next door to St George Distillery.

beat

There is no rent control in San Mateo County. At least in San Francisco there is rent control and a lot more help for tenants.
I know there are economic arguments against rent control, but holy crap it sucks as a renter to get hit with a 20% or more increase.

IceCold

What are some good spots to get a haircut in SF? After being unsatisfied with barbershops, I think I'm looking for more a salon. I want somewhere that can do fades right.

Nesotenso

Thanks for the suggestion guys regarding my sister's move. She actually was in the area for a week last month to get familiar with the area, Dublin office and project staff.

Most of her coworkers tried to discourage her from getting an apartment in Oakland. The Dublin to Amador St. commute takes about 41 minutes by car and about the same amount of time to the nearest Bart Station. If she took BART she would have to walk the rest of the way which her project manager advised against. The dude himself lives in Livermore and commutes everyday to the trailer site in San Francisco.

I think the BART option is off the table because of the walk involved to get to site. My sister is debating whether to rent a place in San Francisco proper because she doesn't want to make a 40-50 minute drive (might be longer with what you guys are saying about traffic) every morning.

so what neighborhoods, in Oakland and in the east bay, would you recommend for a single woman looking to live on her own ? I was thinking living in San Fran would be more expensive because of the rent even though she is getting per diem. Another question, is rental units coming with a washer/dryer common? or do they at all? She had one in her apartment in Denver.

edit: Some people have asked if her firm is fronting costs for the move. They do compensate for the move but don't pay the rent for her. She gets a per diem and a 10 percent raise. She was hoping to save some money from the increase and more importantly, use this assignment to get promoted faster.

Toki767

Forget Oakland. Try Berkeley. Although I do think if she's going to be working in SF most of the time, Daly City or Millbrae are also nice choices.

beat

Another question, is rental units coming with a washer/dryer common? or do they at all? She had one in her
apartment in Denver.
I feel like washer/dryers are sometimes found in two or three bedroom units and only in very expensive/new one bedrooms or studios. It's fairly common to have laundry on site though, but expect nothing. Always read the ads carefully.

(And use PadMapper plus common sense. If something is listed well below market value, it might be real but it's more likely a scam.)

beat

I've never flown out of Oakland before, or flown on Southwest. Is it pretty straightforward to get to Oakland Airport by transit? What's the typical Southwest boarding scrum like? Are security lines at Oakland okay or hideously long? What else am I not even thinking of that I should know?

Toki767

I've never flown out of Oakland before, or flown on Southwest. Is it pretty straightforward to get to Oakland Airport by transit? What's the typical Southwest boarding scrum like? Are security lines at Oakland okay or hideously long? What else am I not even thinking of that I should know?

Where are you commuting from? I believe you take Bart to one of the stops and then take AirBART over. Oakland Airport every time I've gone there has been fairly deserted. It's not an international airport like SFO so it's not super busy usually.

I've only used Oakland a handful of times, but it's usually pretty straightforward through security. Just make sure you plan enough time for the BART to AirBART transfer and whatnot.

beat

Where are you commuting from? I believe you take Bart to one of the stops and then take AirBART over. Oakland Airport every time I've gone there has been fairly deserted. It's not an international airport like SFO so it's not super busy usually.
I'll be heading there from downtown SF.

butzopower

proud of his butz

I've flown out of Oakland once on Southwest and I was pulled aside at the gate when they did a second round of security checks (to fly to Reno?). Dude would not let up on why I didn't have a California ID, and after like three minutes just suddenly chilled on it and said "Get one when you get back." Still haven't gone to the DMV.

Only thing that stood out, everything else was simple and quick, I think.

BART to AirBart is very straightforward, but plan for that 15 min. trip on AirBart on top of your travel time to get to the airport. It's $3 a way (on top of your Bart ticket) so either have correct change or buy a $3 at Oakland Coliseum station.

Southwest boarding has changed so it's not so much a cattle call anymore but it's done in groups & position numbers so faster you check in, the better your number. Seating is sill open.

Security check in at Oakland is far better than SFO/LAX/SAN easily. If you get lucky and only have the minimal on you, they just send you through the TSA express gate (where you don't have to remove stuff and leave laptop in bag) but regular line is not bad either.

If you have your boarding pass on your phone (I use the southwest app), it's handy too.

I have to drive a manual BMW 5 Series from San Francisco to Saint Louis... Gonna be interesting on the open desert roads in that thing.

One other thing. Is it a good idea to move to San Mateo? My parents lived in S.F bay area when I was born for about two years in the mid 90's and we lived well according to them. After not living in the Bay Area for years, how is the cost of living minus apartment? I'm planning on moving in with my grand mother for a year to attend community college to declare residency.

I'm taking the missus out tomorrow night to the Berkeley Rep (going to see An Audience with Meow Meow) and was wondering if there are any good dessert places near there. We are planning on going to Jupiters for an early dinner, but I'd like to take her somewhere afterwards before going home for the night.

AcridMeat

Banned
I'm taking the missus out tomorrow night to the Berkeley Rep (going to see An Audience with Meow Meow) and was wondering if there are any good dessert places near there. We are planning on going to Jupiters for an early dinner, but I'd like to take her somewhere afterwards before going home for the night.
There's Cream on Telegraph and a Gelato place on Shattuck. Both are open later, around 11-12.

Cream does ice cream sandwiches but let's you pick the kind of cookie and ice cream.

wario

in addition to what AcridMeat said, you can get Ici Ice Cream on college.

I went to UC Berkeley and Cream/Ici are rather far from the Berkeley Rep near Shattuck and Center unless you have a car. At least a 15 minute walk to cream and a 20 minute bus ride to Ici.

I would recommend John's Ice Cream which is much closer to Shattuck and Center (probably a five minute walk). It used to be $1/scoop, but I think they raised prices to $1.50? Still a great deal though!

There's also a gelato place and a boba place on the same street if you'd rather have those.

Nearly everything else besides real estate is more expensive too.

Not a Bay Area resident, but have been out there four times over the last 2 years, and I think the prices out there (sans real estate) are on average with the major metros I've been too. I didn't find food or other things to be any more or less expensive.

wario

Not a Bay Area resident, but have been out there four times over the last 2 years, and I think the prices out there (sans real estate) are on average with the major metros I've been too. I didn't find food or other things to be any more or less expensive.

this... but i would add higher gas prices too

beat

Feels to me like groceries are more expensive than other West Coast cities. {shrug}

Also, what's a good place to buy a used fridge?

When I spent a week out there I thought prices were about average, but this was pre-drought. We were driving to Monterrey and almost pulled over because a stand was selling 10 avocados for a $1. I will say though that I am an Its-It convert. I never thought I'd like them over a chip-which but they came really damn close.

I get free flights to SF and I know people in the Bay area so..

Place to stay.. Check

Flights... Check

I dont have to worry about paying for anything but food. Now when I move there it'll be a different story.. Kinda.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=896063

6BG9nJQ.jpg

I guess the last ramen festival that was in Japantown was so crowded they opted for convention center space this time around.

I guess the last ramen festival that was in Japantown was so crowded they opted for convention center space this time around.
Makes sense. I talked to a couple of people that went to the Japantown event, and they were complaining about the absurd lines and people there.

iavi

Makes sense. I talked to a couple of people that went to the Japantown event, and they were complaining about the absurd lines and people there.

Yup. A group of friends and I made it out there at around 4 Sat that day, and they were already holding signs saying the Ramen was gone.

But I need that ramen, so less try this again

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The space isn't necessarily the problem. The problem is serving the ramen fast enough from the limited vendors.

A bigger space don't make the lines smaller or the ramen served quicker.

Please tell me the ramen burger stand is going to be back for this. I was so sad that I missed it in SF this time around.
Yes he will be there. I bought tickets in advance, they offer VIP express lanes! Ramen right into my veins!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions earlier. We tried going to cream and couldn't find parking. I was amazed at how busy it is over there so we went home. Maybe next time I can try that ici icecream.

The musical/play with Meow Meow was really awesome, if you're into those things you won't be disappointed. I was called upon by Miss Meow Meow up on to the stage to became a mic stand and a chair for a number. People thought I was a real performer and asked for pictures with me after the show. It was loads of fun.

Top Bottom