• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

olympia

Does anybody have an experience with the CA Vehicle Retirement Program? Or alternatively, where is the best place to sell an old junk car?

Does anybody have an experience with the CA Vehicle Retirement Program? Or alternatively, where is the best place to sell an old junk car?

No experience with CA Vehicle Retirement Program, but you can donate your car for a tax write off for up to $500. You could also do a consignment with Wheels 'N Deals in Santa Clara. Not sure what there fees are anymore, but they do often have oddball cars that attracts oddball buyers (a good thing).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
do you happen to know the average google/apple salary after bonuses and such?

Per Glassdoor, it's in the low to mid 100s. Most of these people cannot afford houses either actually. What you're seeing is a combination of foreign investment, good salaries, and extremely low inventory. It's all three of those together that's creating a pretty toxic mix. I grew up in Chicago and then lived in NY for ten years so I have no real expectations of homeownership but I think out West it's just part of the culture and that probably makes it even more frustrating for people. Personally I think you'd be completely nuts to live here unless you had no other option (either for good or bad reasons). The weather's great, culture in SF is nice but housing costs are just a disaster and I don't really see how it will change. Everyone wants 'affordable' housing but it's affordable housing for them -- and you can only have a top-to-bottom improvement with a huge influx of inventory all over. Instead look at the new constructions and they're just as extortionate as you'd expect because the stuff is just trickling out there.

beat

Per Glassdoor, it's in the low to mid 100s.
Surely that must be entry level? I saw this story saying average salary is $200K:
Last year, for example, Silicon Valley tech workers earned an average $205,044, according to Joint Venture Silicon Valley, which analyzes the region's economy. That figure skews to the low end because it also includes salaries for janitors, cafeteria workers, gardeners and other low-wage service employees who work for tech companies, said Rachel Massaro, who heads the organization's research efforts.

Instead look at the new constructions and they're just as extortionate as you'd expect because the stuff is just trickling out there.
Yep. All the new construction I see is for luxury condos - which means diddly squat when those with cash to burn want to spend it to buy out a cozy residential neighborhood flat instead. Then there are the new micro-apartments going up. Jesus.

My mother is a realtor, she's been saying recently there's been a huge influx of Chinese investors buying properties fast with cash, way over list prices.

Just recently I was looking at a townhome/condo in Sunnyvale close to the new Apple campus to be, I over-bid list and they rejected it almost instantly because they got a cash offer "far higher". Insane.

Anyone going to WonderCon in a few weeks? I'm primarily looking to carpool back to the Bay Area. Can help pay for gas. Can supply two guest passes.

Anyone who isn't astonishingly wealthy should pre-emptively give up any dream of home ownership in the Bay Area. :(

My only 23.5, so maybe one day I can be a founder of a hot new startup

riiiiight.

To be fair, I'm not doing too bad on the career ladder, but in any other state I'd be able to afford anything I wanted :\

Fjordson

Only reason I have a place in San Fran is because it's been in my family for decades and sold it to me for dirt cheap. I definitely wouldn't be here if I hadn't won that lottery.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
My mother is a realtor, she's been saying recently there's been a huge influx of Chinese investors buying properties fast with cash, way over list prices.

Just recently I was looking at a townhome/condo in Sunnyvale close to the new Apple campus to be, I over-bid list and they rejected it almost instantly because they got a cash offer "far higher". Insane.
I'm genuinely curious, what are these people doing with the houses? Crazy the amount of all-cash offers. Our agent says it's approaching 30%+ of closings just being all cash. :/ I think the last place we were looking at went for 250+ over listing and Zestimate. Wasn't even in that good a neighborhood, but yeah if it's just speculation/stowing away cash I guess they don't care. Frustrating.

I'm genuinely curious, what are these people doing with the houses? Crazy the amount of all-cash offers. Our agent says it's approaching 30%+ of closings just being all cash. :/ I think the last place we were looking at went for 250+ over listing and Zestimate. Wasn't even in that good a neighborhood, but yeah if it's just speculation/stowing away cash I guess they don't care. Frustrating.

Income property, green card incentives, write off, flippers, etc. The Chinese people will pay all cash for nice houses in nice areas, but I've seen them flow into lesser desired areas too. The investor(s) will pay all cash for fixer uppers in ok areas and profiting 50-150k+. Normal people are behind those two types of buyers.

They're never gonna move Wondercon back to SF, are they. ;__;

It's not that they won't move back, they'll just make WonderCon SF. There's a reason why WonderCon is currently titled WonderCon Anaheim.

CCI wanted to cut into another con's time, and it worked. They also want a SF con (because now with APE gone, they have no presence in NorCal), but it's the city that is the bad guy here.

MrGerbils

Hey guys, I'm moving from the South Bay to the city, and have some nerdy stuff I'm looking to offload because I'm having to downsize. Am I allowed to post stuff like that here?

Mostly nerdy stuff that I want to find a good home. I'm not gonna post about an old couch and junk up the thread.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
277230-merchant1bsml.jpg

Whatcha selling?

Top Bottom