• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

MrGerbils

I've got a new, in box officially licensed BttF life size hoverboard prop / toy thing. Honestly I just want this to have a good home rather than just thrown in the trash. The box isn't perfectly mint, it has some creases in the cardboard. It's anyone's if you want it, but if you wanted to give me $20, that'd be nice ;P

g7KPguW.jpg
FxV43bL.jpg
a6KUGZK.jpg

I also have a brand new unopened with all pieces LEGO Architecture Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum. Same thing with this, I just want it to have a home with someone who appreciates it.

Please, no ebay vultures, even though I have no way of knowing if that's your plan. I mean that's fine I guess but I'd rather give it to someone who actually wants em.

And haha sorry, Gaint Robot, I think we're gonna try to keep our records. I'll post again if I find anything else that needs a good home as we pack up. There's probably some more Legos in here.... and I'm gonna have a long hard look at my Marvel Mighty Mugg collection..

I am moving for the first time under this renting market. In San Jose Got a discount at one of those luxury apartments...and not that luxurious to be honest...at $2200 for 1 bed room for around 700 sq ft. It's a discount because not too many places take dogs and other places with discounts start at at least $2300 or $2500. One place flat out told me the base rent is $2500 and anything below that is low-income lol :(

Wonder what will offset this market....there has to be something, right? Earthquakes?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
oh man I'll take both! if they're not already snatched up. That lego puzzle could be a good way to kill a day now that my contract is over.

harSon

Banned
I am moving for the first time under this renting market. In San Jose Got a discount at one of those luxury apartments...and not that luxurious to be honest...at $2200 for 1 bed room for around 700 sq ft. It's a discount because not too many places take dogs and other places with discounts start at at least $2300 or $2500. One place flat out told me the base rent is $2500 and anything below that is low-income lol :(

Wonder what will offset this market....there has to be something, right? Earthquakes?

There's plenty of 1BR ~600 sqft apartments in San Jose that are well south of the mid $2000 range, and they're by no means low-income. Where the hell have you been looking?

pretty soon thanks to running out of water we will all dessicate and blow away

Oh yes that water thing lol :(

There's plenty of 1BR ~600 sqft apartments in San Jose that are well south of the mid $2000 range, and they're by no means low-income. Where the hell have you been looking?

There's little in that range that would take dogs..and I forgot to add to have the washer/dryer in the unit. The dogs are what separate the price range.

MrGerbils

oh man I'll take both! if they're not already snatched up. That lego puzzle could be a good way to kill a day now that my contract is over.

Not snatched up, they're yours man. You around the South Bay tomorrow? I'll switch to private message and we can set up a time you can come by.

simplayer

We rent at 2100 for 1bd room, pets allowed, ensuite washer/dryer. We're pretty far south (Capitol auto mall area), but it's a nice neighbourhood.

Went to Sweet Maple today.

Had a Hot Cocoa, a lot of Millionaire's Bacon, and french toast with Jack Daniel's/Bacon Syrup.

The Jack was a bit too much, but other than that, it was fucking fantastic.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Does anyone know of some life drawing classes or sessions in the city? Either free or cheap, I don't mind kicking down some cash to get the models paid.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Whoo just got a place down in San Jose. We've got some projects lined up for the place like turning a wall into a breakfast bar, taking out popcorn ceilings, and some other stuff so if you know a really good contractor/whatever in the South Bay let me know!

Whoo just got a place down in San Jose. We've got some projects lined up for the place like turning a wall into a breakfast bar, taking out popcorn ceilings, and some other stuff so if you know a really good contractor/whatever in the South Bay let me know!
Congrats, Astro! Good luck with the new digs.

Congrats! I may have found a good contractor. We are getting our new place fixed up and we are waiting to hear back on what it'll cost but the initial meeting gave good vibes. He was recommended by our agent. I'm not sure how soon you're looking though. I also recommend getting on Angie's List. It's only $9 for a year which is peanuts when you are looking at getting work done on your place.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks! Maybe have you guys over when we're settle in a couple months. :D

We have this expanding list of to-dos on the house. Will probably be able to hit about 10% of them but it's OK. :p

Nice! Where in town did you end up?

A friend of mine just bought a house in SJ like six months ago, maybe she's got a rec.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm in the Cambrian/Almaden area. The house is actually in quite good shape (and the owners fixed up the few larger items before selling) but always this temptation to make it all your own. Pinball machine that I'll maybe maybe get might help with that too :p

I'm in the Cambrian/Almaden area. The house is actually in quite good shape (and the owners fixed up the few larger items before selling) but always this temptation to make it all your own. Pinball machine that I'll maybe maybe get might help with that too :p

Damn, we're practically neighbors. That's the area we ended up in. How long were you hunting?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Damn, we're practically neighbors. That's the area we ended up in.

Woohoo! I have a friend from work who lives just a few blocks from the new place as well (only found out after we bid heh). Area is pretty much all upside from our perspective -- great schools for the kids, nice community, lots of trails and parks nearby. Only downsides at all are time to work (~50m in traffic, but I work pretty late most nights so only have to deal with traffic one way and if I get an EV can cut that down even more) and there's you kind of have to drive 5-10m minimum to get anywhere commercial. We've actually been looking for almost a year but this was the first place we felt comfortable bidding on.

Woohoo! I have a friend from work who lives just a few blocks from the new place as well (only found out after we bid heh). Area is pretty much all upside from our perspective -- great schools for the kids, nice community, lots of trails and parks nearby. Only downsides at all are time to work (~50m in traffic, but I work pretty late most nights so only have to deal with traffic one way and if I get an EV can cut that down even more) and there's you kind of have to drive 5-10m minimum to get anywhere commercial. We've actually been looking for almost a year but this was the first place we felt comfortable bidding on.

Cool! Yep, the area seems good with schools. community, etc. I only wish we considered this area sooner. It was sooooo much cheaper when we first started hunting for a house. Heck even a year ago it was a lot cheaper. The area seems to be spiking up lately. Before we were looking in Sunnyvale, West San Jose, and Campbell but over the course of our search we got priced out of those areas as they rose up. So ya, the downside is the commute for us which is something we were hoping to improve upon.

Congrats on winning on the first place you bid. We were starting to think it was getting hopeless because we were being out bid by a significant amount and often with all cash buyers. It starts to get to you when you keep losing out on making an offer.

Congratulations on the new digs!

That area is great, when I was looking at places late last year it came up a lot. It's really affordable (for the bay) and it wasn't being over bid on in most cases. A lot of that area is getting new families which is great for the area. I wish I would have known about it earlier last year when I was more serious about buying.

Here in Sunnyvale it's insanity with the housing wars. The bidding wars have gotten the attention of landlords and prices are on the up, even for rentals its insane. I know someone whos 1 bedroom apartment went from $1800 to $3000 overnight practically. I was looking at moving to the Cottle/Oakridge area but crime is on the up in that area even with the new housing options. I was hoping to find a condo to invest in so I can build up some equity for future house buying. But even when I was in that mode early last year it was not reasonable. It might be because where I come from a nice house is 250k not 750k.

I'm just shocked at what people are willing to spend to have a roof over their heads. I have nothing against it, but this recent boom is really crazy and I don't see it dying down soon either. I even looked at Morgan Hill, Watsonville, Gilroy area and the bidding there for nicer area's is just as insane as here in Sunnyvale/Cupertino. I've ended up giving up on the idea of living anywhere I wanted in this area since it's just not feasible financially right now due to my medical bills and I just don't think it's worth it.

Good luck on the projects!

Does anyone have a recommendation for custom jewelry or goldsmithing? I've been on the hunt for an engagement ring for months and the usual spots have left me realizing they all sell similar styles. So I went into autocad and designed my own. Now I just need to find someone that can make it a reality. Or find something that is unique as the gal I love.

gcubed

Congrats Astro, I've been looking for 4 months now, nothing peaking my interest though. Also, after coming from the east coast 2 years ago I've had to spend just as much time convincing myself of the money

Shit man, I used to live in the Almaden/Santa Teresa area. Moved a a couple exits down. That Almaden/85 exit is gonna be more of a pain when that mega Bass Pro Shop opens up :X
Congrats on the house btw. I just finished a full remodel on my place and can recommend some contractors for you.

harSon

Banned
Don't listen to anyone who tells you different, you've gotta be making a lot of money to buy houses in this market.

My parents purchased a home in 2002-2003 in South San Jose (right behind Santa Teresa High School), and it cost them $565,000 at that time, and they just sold that house for over $700,000. It's only 1700 sq ft and 3br/2br too, albeit with a pool.

Congrats on the house and I'm jealous! Was just talking with my gf the other day. We just moved to a new place. We can afford it but it doesn't leave much for savings. We would love to buy but there's just no way with those cash outbidders

Afrikan

supposedly we just had a 4.0 earthquake....didn't feel shit, and i was sitting still on the bed.
1sm032dunno.gif

i mean i did feel a jolt, which I thought was about to be the start of an earthquake...muted the TV and nothing.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
supposedly we just had a 4.0 earthquake....didn't feel shit, and i was sitting still on the bed.
1sm032dunno.gif

i mean i did feel a jolt, which I thought was about to be the start of an earthquake...muted the TV and nothing.

Didn't feel shit here in Vallejo, not too far away from Concord.

hell I live IN concord and felt NOTHINGGG

I dont get this, am I just impervious to quakes? I have never felt one living in california all my life

I bought tickets to the Manchester United vs Barcelona match at Levi's stadium. Cost 200 a ticket but eh,how many times am I going to get to see such a match live?

Top Bottom