• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yay just found out my landlord raised rent by $100. As if it wasn't expensive enough living here. Now I can't tell if I should be happy or sad I have a job at Costco.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Yay just found out my landlord raised rent by $100. As if it wasn't expensive enough living here. Now I can't tell if I should be happy or sad I have a job at Costco.

yep, my apartment just got a 20% increase this contract. my roommates and I already decided we're moving and surprisingly finding a place for four people isn't too bad.

Where's my rain here in SF?!

Back home in the East Bay, it's "monsoon-like weather" according to my mom and my friend's dad. It's dark, stormy and has had both thunder and lightning.

Here in San Francisco? It's breezy and sunny still... Ugh, give me my rain please.

Just got official notice of the same here, though its listed as a capital improvement (seismic retrofit on a rent controlled building) rent increase, amortized through 2035.

I'm not exactly sure what to make of it really. But I guess its more likely that its a 10% increase each year for the next 20 years (!) than the alternative of my rent staying at its current price for the next two decades.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Just got official notice of the same here, though its listed as a capital improvement (seismic retrofit on a rent controlled building) rent increase, amortized through 2035.

I'm not exactly sure what to make of it really. But I guess its more likely that its a 10% increase each year for the next 20 years (!) than the alternative of my rent staying at its current price for the next two decades.

So basically if you don't make at minimum 6 figures then say goodbye to living in the bay area or anywhere else worth living in CA :(. Man I feel like I'm gonna have to suffer and work at my restaurant job and Costco 6-7 days a week. I wouldn't mind going back to school but it's far too expensive and well I can't work as much for money I need if I go back to school. I want to get into the tech industry but my local CC doesn't offer anything useful I'll actually use in the field I want to get into. I tried too and took the only CS related class I found which was an intro c++ class. I got nothing out of it since my teacher was completely useless and expected us to know the basics of programming right out of the gate.

I've been trying to learn programming but have been sidetracked with having to worry about money and well being a responsible adult lol. I want to get a high paying job I actually like but damn is it tough focusing on doing it when I have to deal with so much other crap. Feels like I lose no matter what I do even when I'm disciplined and motivated enough to try to make a better living for myself.

beat

My lease's first term ends by Oct, I think. I'll let y'all know what the increase is, but I'm pretty sure it's covered under SF's rent control laws, so the rent was pricey but hopefully won't balloon like crazy.

(I once rented in Mtn View and there's no rent control there. I got hit with a pretty gruesome rent increase and now rent control is one of my top priorities when looking for a place.)

Hoooolyyy crap. Probably missing it, going out tomorrow night.

I really need to get on a mailing list for those Nightlife events, so much cool stuff happens there!
It was pretty great. Sound wasn't as good as it was when he did it at 1015 (how could it be?) but it was pretty clean still

and get on DJ Dials' mailing list, dude throws the best parties

AcridMeat

Banned
It was pretty great. Sound wasn't as good as it was when he did it at 1015 (how could it be?) but it was pretty clean still

and get on DJ Dials' mailing list, dude throws the best parties
Where can I do that? All I see is adding him as a friend on Facebook and a community page with nothing on it.

Anybody going to the Com Truise/Chromeo/Glitch Mob show in a couple weeks? Found out a good friend is in town that weekend so bought tickets.

Where can I do that? All I see is adding him as a friend on Facebook and a community page with nothing on it.

Anybody going to the Com Truise/Chromeo/Glitch Mob show in a couple weeks? Found out a good friend is in town that weekend so bought tickets.
You know, I'm not sure actually, I just started getting the emails. Maybe go to an event he throws?

beat

If I wanted to sleep in, how late could I get to, say, the panhandle and still have some fun people-watching while walking the Bay to Breakers route?

butzopower

proud of his butz
If I wanted to sleep in, how late could I get to, say, the panhandle and still have some fun people-watching while walking the Bay to Breakers route?

I used to live on the Panhandle and the party was still going strong at 3pm the last few years, but it was a lot nicer out than this year seems to be. Not sure about the rest of the route.

What are everyone's favorite museums in the area? I'm up for any kind.

If you are into computers/technology at all, check out the computer history museum in Mountain View. There are a bunch of really cool old machines, and it's probably a collection of stuff that's unique to silicon valley.

v1lla21

Went for a spirited drive with my friends last week and my friend blew his WRX's motor. lol. This picture couldn't be any more accurate.
tumblr_nad2bkq3eK1s4df8ko1_1280.png

Fjordson

Took a trip to Half Moon Bay with the parents today. Always a calm and relaxing place to go. I love it.
Half Moon Bay is great.

Some family and I stayed at a beach house in downtown Carmel two weeks ago. Really nice town to get away for a few days. Hadn't been in years.

sarcastor

My roommate is traveling abroad for 4-6 months starting in August, and I have a room to rent out in a 2b/1b apartment in Nob Hill in San Francisco. Anyone interested?

There's literally dozens of restaurants/bars, a walgreens, trader joes, staples, guitar center, whole foods, real foods, two dog grooming places, a Radio shack (not for long) and a bunch of nail salons, laundromats, etc. within 5 blocks

PM me if interested please :)

PujnR2s.jpg

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Is there anywhere to watch a stream of the Mission Moritorium going on right now?

Milpitas isn't really close to Oakland...

There's a straight up Chinatown in Oakland, dawg. And one in SF, both are way easier to get to than Milpitas... did you just move to Oakland?

Rootbeer

Banned
Anyone else experience a five hour blackout from the recent heat wave? Was fun :x.

Showered by candlelight to get to work on time. Was a fun change of pace I guess. Glad it didn't last that long.

Always scary when the power is out for more than an hour or so, you start to hear way more ambulances than usual. No power with the heat is a recipe for trouble.

Nothing that's happened in this series so far has been particularly predictable but at this point the Warriors are definitely on the back foot now.

rust belt wooo

Top Bottom