• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

gcubed

I have 1 more month left in the Bay until I move to Philly for 4 years. Wonder what I should do..

tell my old neighborhood hi. I had a bout of homesickness recently that went away, and culminated in me putting an offer in on a house. I still can't wrap my head around the prices out here... i just had to close my eyes and tell myself it'll be ok

tell my old neighborhood hi. I had a bout of homesickness recently that went away, and culminated in me putting an offer in on a house. I still can't wrap my head around the prices out here... i just had to close my eyes and tell myself it'll be ok

When I had someone tell me with only a tiny bit of embarrassment that they lucked out and paid under a million for their house because it had termites, I knew something was irretrievably wrong out here.

gcubed

When I had someone tell me with only a tiny bit of embarrassment that they lucked out and paid under a million for their house because it had termites, I knew something was irretrievably wrong out here.

yup. I'm not from out here, but have been here for 2 years now. I keep thinking that the housing can't be real, but even if it drops, it comes back faster then anywhere else. More companies are relocating major portions of their business here bringing in more people who have no place to live. I even live in a "cheaper" area (HMB) and its still crazy to me. I found a place in the location i wanted it (4 houses from the beach trail and bluffs), fully renovated on the inside, a decent size lot and away from the traffic a bit and managed to stay under the "m" word. Will see if i get it... and hope i dont buy at the peak of a market...

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well anyone else feel that earthquake just now? I'm in east bay and my house shook for a sec then began vibrating for like 2 or 3 seconds.

Fjordson

Yeah, it woke me up I think, but I was still half asleep so couldn't really feel much (in San Jose). Wife is still asleep though, didn't notice anything I guess lol.

RuGalz

The quake was probably a mile from my place. Couldn't sleep afterward with all the little ones. It's gonna be a long day.

LOL

Usually I put my PC to hibernate when I go to sleep.

This morning it was on, CPU fans blowing and all.

I was wondering how that could have happened but I wonder if the earthquake shook my mouse and woke up the computer.

I'm in San Jose and slept through it, not sure how much shaking there was down here.

Rootbeer

Banned
Was in SF during the quake, didn't feel a thing. Sorry for anyone effected in any meaningful way. We all gotta prep for that big one. Probably going to go down in our lifetime so be ready. :(

I was awake when it happened but all I noticed was my bedroom window vibrating a bit. It was that noise that woke me up. Didn't feel anything myself, but was coiled and ready to spring out of bed at the first sign of rolling motion.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I was just reading that there is a bigger one predicted "in the next few days". Might want to prep and move stuff off shelves etc. just in case.

gcubed

got out bid by someone 100K over asking, with cash and no contingencies on the house that had wood rot on the flooring and joist supports that the owner was going to fix during closing (and anything else that would have been found when they started pulling it apart). This is all in Half Moon Bay...

I'll just rent until either I retire or this market hits a correction

Nelo Ice

Banned
Any developers or aspiring developers here? Just curious since I attended my first meetup in the city for coding last night and I'm hooked. Realized I'm not alone on learning how to program. I'm currently self teaching myself web development but now I know that there are others just like me and I just have to attend events to find them. And of course meet people showing me the resources I need to learn or people willing to show me the ropes themselves.

Anyway I registered for 2 hackathons next month. There's also another event the Intel buzzshop that's free to attend apparently and I get a free pass to the Intel Developer forum for going. That's the one event that's intimidating me since I'm not sure if I even deserve to be there for being a noob but I figure it can't hurt to try right?.

Rainy

Banned
Lived in the Bay for 18 years, moved to Socal for 4 years. Moved back for a year.

Now moving to Philadelphia for 4 years in 2 days. Gonna miss California ;~;

v1lla21

Started raining so I sprinted 50 yards to my car because all my windows were down. Lol. I didn't know it was going to rain today.

ThisOne

I'm traveling to SF for three nights in early September. There are two of us going. Our budget is not huge so we don't want to stay anywhere too expensive. Most of the hotels in South District (?) and Union that are in our price range look kinda sketchy and have mostly negative reviews. How big of a pain would it be for us to just stay in a decent hotel near the airport and take BART into the city every day? How much would this cost per trip and how long is the ride?

beat

I'm traveling to SF for three nights in early September. There are two of us going. Our budget is not huge so we don't want to stay anywhere too expensive. Most of the hotels in South District (?) and Union that are in our price range look kinda sketchy and have mostly negative reviews. How big of a pain would it be for us to just stay in a decent hotel near the airport and take BART into the city every day? How much would this cost per trip and how long is the ride?

There are BART calculators, but from memory it's around $8.65 each way between SF and the airport stop. Also, it takes a while.

Can I suggest looking into hostels like the ones Hostelling International runs, or Green Tortoise. I've stayed at the HI one downtown a bunch of times before I moved here, and the Green Tortoise for one night.

I'd just recommend to just pay a nicer hotel or look at airbnb. Bart from the airport takes a while and is not cheap. Around 9 bucks per trip so around $40 per day. Try to avoid anything south of geary and west of union square.

Also nothing on SF will be cheap, what's your price range per night?

t26

$8.65 is going BART straight from airport to downtown. If you are at hotel near the airport you will be in Millbrae, which is only $4.50 to downtown.

Really tried to make this one but I ended up seeing Basement at Gilman. How was it?

Torche had a really good set. They played a good mix from old to the latest, none of the poppy stuff. Their latest album is pretty much a fan service and the setlist reflected that.

Melt Banana was fun, but kinda awkward to see only 2 members (Yasuko and Agata). Bass player was missing and only a drum machine haha. Yasuko was waving some weird remote device, I think to control the drum machine/bass guitar queue?

BARTing all the way from SFO is not a good use of your valuable time here in beautiful San Francisco. There are plenty of affordable Airbnb's that put you in neighborhoods with easy access to public transit.

Torche had a really good set. They played a good mix from old to the latest, none of the poppy stuff. Their latest album is pretty much a fan service and the setlist reflected that.

Melt Banana was fun, but kinda awkward to see only 2 members (Yasuko and Agata). Bass player was missing and only a drum machine haha. Yasuko was waving some weird remote device, I think to control the drum machine/bass guitar queue?

Never heard of any of the guys you're talkin' about, but does anyone else here hit up any of the local acts in the Bay? I know a few people in the 'scene,' so I'm usually hitting stuff up all the time. Who's good?

olympia

Never heard of any of the guys you're talkin' about, but does anyone else here hit up any of the local acts in the Bay? I know a few people in the 'scene,' so I'm usually hitting stuff up all the time. Who's good?

Melt Banana is metal from Japan. Torche is metal from Miami.

Keep in mind that my tastes generally run hardcore/punk, it's derivatives and associated acts:

Synthetic ID
Creative Adult
Quaaludes
Super Unison
Great Apes

I have friends in Picture Atlantic so i'm going to give them an obligatory shoutout! They just came out with some new stuff that's really good.

Afrikan

damn why did I have to be randomly wide awake for that shit.

thought the Big One was about to start...lol.

It was "just" one Big Jolt. Felt like it was more like a shock wave. Shit was loud.

4.2 they are saying on the news. But everyone feels it was bigger. It was right off Oakland, in Piedmont.

gcubed

I was laying in bed awake and felt a small rumble and heard my shower doors rattling, would never have felt it if I was asleep. I'm in HMB

I didn't know I could get out of bed so quick. Was asleep and then in .00005 of a second I bounded to my bedroom doorway.

And then it was over. Strong initial shake but the rolling had no real legs to it (edit: for me anyway. Some east-bay folks are telling me it went on for a while).

Cab driver told me it was a 4.6 and that seems small enough that I'm honestly surprised it even woke me up, much less enough to trigger my instamatic survival reflexes. Must be out of practice.

Top Bottom