• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Rootbeer

Banned
Was awake. Felt it. Knocked over some stuff in my fridge and around my desk.

We're still hanging in there! For a little while anyways.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I was sleeping pretty heavy this morning and felt nothing. Usually I'm a light sleeper and the last one from up north woke me up.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So it feels like cheating living in the Bay. I'm hustling so freaking hard right now to learn programming. Been attending all the meetups, hackathons, conferences etc that I can. It's been incredible how supportive and kind the tech community has been.

Can't believe I was an idiot for half the year. I thought I was all alone on this journey. For some stupid reason I forgot I was living in the tech capital of the world and there's no better place to learn than here.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Anyone else in SF live above where the MUNI lines run? We've been feeling vibrations over the weekend and at night, I thought it was a loud truck or someone's music, but my roommate reminded me about the construction. Sure enough we are right on the line between Castro and Forest Hill.

M52B28

Banned
I'm bored. Anyone got a recommendation on something to do?

Can't drink, but I heard that the bars are pretty cool from those who are old enough.

I'm looking for something to do that's hands on preferably; a workshop or something of the likes.

San Mateo, San Bruno in specifics.

That also sounds very cool.

Tech Shop is super awesome. The only complaint I have is that the classes are not really that in depth. If you don't mind throwing down some cash for something where you will learn A LOT more, check out the following:

The Crucible (In Oakland)
Woodcraft (San Carlos, woodworking classes only)
Sawdust Shop (San Jose, woodworking classes only)

All 3 of these places (as well as Tech Shop) have memberships btw, where you can use all the equipment any time you want. So you're not just learning skills that you'll never have a chance to use. You can literally just walk into a Tech Shop or Crucible and weld some shit together.

The woodworking classes at Sawdust Shop in particular are really stellar, but San Jose might be a bit far from you. The beginning class you go from absolutely nothing to being able to use almost every tool in the shop and cutting intricate designs and professional looking furniture in just 16 hours.

M52B28

Banned
Tech Shop is super awesome. The only complaint I have is that the classes are not really that in depth..
So, $150 a month. Doesn't sound bad, but the thing I don't really like is that it's a recurring membership, meaning that I'm going to have to pay that once a month. I'm sort of looking for a place where I can pay for the time I'm there and basically come and go as I please.

Do they provide supplies?

Nelo Ice

Banned
I'm bored. Anyone got a recommendation on something to do?

Can't drink, but I heard that the bars are pretty cool from those who are old enough.

I'm looking for something to do that's hands on preferably; a workshop or something of the likes.

Besides those aforementioned workshops, there's also hackerspaces. And Tech Shop is one as well.
https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/List_of_Hacker_Spaces

I've only personally been to Noisebridge but it's pretty awesome. The community is pretty nice too and if you just talk to people they'll be more than willing to help you with whatever you want to learn.

It's free to use and they also have free classes and workshops. I just attended their front end web dev course for the first time this week and Jeff is an awesome teacher.
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Noisebridge

Have also heard good things about Sudo Room in Oakland but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.
https://sudoroom.org/

Also these places rely on donations so if you wanna throw em money or try to become a member you can do that too. I'm personally gonna throw at least Noisebridge money once I'm ready and can land a dev job. I'm just hoping they're still running by the time I can get a proper job =/.

So, $150 a month. Doesn't sound bad, but the thing I don't really like is that it's a recurring membership, meaning that I'm going to have to pay that once a month. I'm sort of looking for a place where I can pay for the time I'm there and basically come and go as I please.

Do they provide supplies?

Sawdust Shop has that (pay to drop in) but as mentioned it's wood only.

I don't think they will cover supplies. Maybe basic stuff like sandpaper but you're definitely bringing your own wood/metal/etcc

Miletius

Anybody got stuck in the mess that's 101 right now? I went to the Farmer's Market in San Mateo and the Chili Cookoff in downtown, and coming back to my house noticed that traffic was diverted near my place. Best of luck to all of ya if you get stuck in that mess.

hitme

Thanks. Yeah it's been a revelation attending all these things. Have made so many friends willing to show me the ropes. And of course attending IDF last week was a dream come true. It was my first ever conference and I was terrified going in. The impostor syndrome hit me so hard. I didn't feel like I should be there even though I got in for free.

Instead of feeling overwhelmed, people were welcoming and it was honestly one of the best ways to spend my bday since it coincidentally fell on the first day of IDF. Had so much fun trying out demos, attending workshops, and talks. I also managed to attend the opening keynote which was pretty cool seeing live. I think my favorite thing I did besides getting my laser selfie was trying out the Valve/HTC Vive. That shit was literally life changing. After my 20 mins was over I was sad I had to go back to the real world. And yes my reaction was basically this lol.

snRAxQh.png

Aside from all that going to hackathons this month confirmed I wanted to be in the industry but attending IDF cemented it. The whole time I was thinking, damn I wanna be apart of one of the teams building something insanely awesome.

Also if anyone else is trying to jumpstart a career I highly recommend using meetup,eventbrite etc. Attend any related events you can. I'm unemployed right now and have no degree but I'm tired of working menial jobs I hate and for poverty level wages. I also don't want to go back to school and have to take out a loan for a degree I may not even need. Rather than just going through misery I've been busting ass trying to jumpstart a career that I'll actually enjoy and won't pay me like shit. My days basically consist of working out 4 days a week on 5/3/1 and learning how to code.

I'm basically in your position right now. Unemployed, don't want to go back to school and all that. I've been struggling trying to get that mentality to start my career, but I can't seem to do it on my own.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I'm basically in your position right now. Unemployed, don't want to go back to school and all that. I've been struggling trying to get that mentality to start my career, but I can't seem to do it on my own.

This might be of use.
http://www.wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/

Edit: Well was just at the Mozilla office for node school and one of the organizers works for Mozilla. He was self taught and has no degree. Now I have verified and living proof I can actually do this yay.

yayaba

Super hot outside. Doesn't seem like this hot weather is going to go away anytime soon either. It's like 90 outside in SOMA where I work and supposedly 100 down in San Mateo. Ugh.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Super hot outside. Doesn't seem like this hot weather is going to go away anytime soon either. It's like 90 outside in SOMA where I work and supposedly 100 down in San Mateo. Ugh.

It's disgusting. 103 by me in San Jose (thankfully I'm not there during the day :p). Temps look like they plummet 10+ degrees by Saturday though and we should have a relatively cooler week next week.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
September is the new August for heat here. I sure hope we get rain this winter. Lots and lots and lots of rain...

It's very hot right now, but this isn't that atypical for this time of year, at least in SF proper. September and October are the hottest months of the year here. I think what's getting to me is that it's been very warm all Summer whereas typically June and July are cooler months with a lot of fog. Plus earlier this year had some odd spikes. We could use a break at some point. :p

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, if its going to be as big as they say it will be then the flash flooding and mud/rock slides won't be a joke.

We do need rain, but yeah that sort of thing definitely is an issue when there's too much rain. Well, whatever will help fill up our reservoirs is what we need most right now, even if it mean some mudslides, uprooted trees etc. >_> Also, all the fires.

yayaba

I think what's getting to me is that it's been very warm all Summer whereas typically June and July are cooler months with a lot of fog. Plus earlier this year had some odd spikes. We could use a break at some point. :p

I've noticed this as well. It usually has never been this warm during the summer but there were some pretty hot days well into the upper 80's every couple of weeks.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So many hackathons and tech events I want to attend in the bay are coming up but nearly all of them are hilariously far from east bay. I live in Castro Valley, So I tend to stick to bart for attending events. I know it'll be worth going but being unemployed means any transportation including bart is massive, since it all adds up :(.

Even if I was trying to get a shitty low wage job it would barely pay for anything and I'd probably be working anyway. It's quite nice having all these options available but it is very hard to justify it economically. Of course the vast majority of events I've gone to have paid off networking and learning wise.

butzopower

proud of his butz
I only met a few of you in this thread, but yall cool. I'm moving to Ireland for a year next week. We're having a going away party at Virgil's Sea Room at 8PM tonight, we'll be at one of the tables in the back. Maybe see one or two of you there.

AcridMeat

Banned
I only met a few of you in this thread, but yall cool. I'm moving to Ireland for a year next week. We're having a going away party at Virgil's Sea Room at 8PM tonight, we'll be at one of the tables in the back. Maybe see one or two of you there.
Oh wow that's awesome! I'm going to Hotel Utah around 9 but I'll try to stop by.

Just saw this, sad to see you go. Have fun in Ireland.

M52B28

Banned
I've only personally been to Noisebridge but it's pretty awesome. The community is pretty nice too and if you just talk to people they'll be more than willing to help you with whatever you want to learn.

It's free to use and they also have free classes and workshops. I just attended their front end web dev course for the first time this week and Jeff is an awesome teacher.
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Noisebridge

Hey, I just got around going to Noisebridge this afternoon, and boy, the place is so chilled out. When I went in, I was greeted by this German guy and he toured me through the facility. (small, but very rich in resources.)

I told them about my plans for an iPod classic that I'm working on and they were pretty interested in it. I want to fix my iPod, repair the audio jack, add a bigger battery, 128gb SSD, fix the hold button, etc. I ended up taking it apart there with their tools.

I then met this guy named Alex and he had an Oculus Rift developers kit, and while he said he'll show me a demo, he never got around it. I've never used a VR headset, so I was disappointed. He showed me the basics of game coding (which I had no clue about.). It seems like some pretty cool stuff.

Anyways, it was a cool experience. I stayed there for about three hours. When I get the parts for my iPod, I'm going to head back over there, and maybe I'll order pizza for the group that is there.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Hey, I just got around going to Noisebridge this afternoon, and boy, the place is so chilled out. When I went in, I was greeted by this German guy and he toured me through the facility. (small, but very rich in resources.)

I told them about my plans for an iPod classic that I'm working on and they were pretty interested in it. I want to fix my iPod, repair the audio jack, add a bigger battery, 128gb SSD, fix the hold button, etc. I ended up taking it apart there with their tools.

I then met this guy named Alex and he had an Oculus Rift developers kit, and while he said he'll show me a demo, he never got around it. I've never used a VR headset, so I was disappointed. He showed me the basics of game coding (which I had no clue about.). It seems like some pretty cool stuff.

Anyways, it was a cool experience. I stayed there for about three hours. When I get the parts for my iPod, I'm going to head back over there, and maybe I'll order pizza for the group that is there.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!. Lmk if you ever wanna meetup. I might be there next Mon and or Thurs for the front end class/lab. Also damn hope you get to try VR. Like I posted on the last page I got to try the Vive and Oculus last month at IDF and it was legitimately life changing lol.
W
edit:Also I checked out Sudo Room last week and it's def different from NoiseBridge. Way more informal and like no one was there when I came in for the scheduled JS study group. Will probably check it out again sometime again but thinking I'll be checking out NoiseBridge more often.

AcridMeat

Banned
Dope. I'm looking forward to it. last two shows I've been to have been heavier, so it'll be nice to dance around.
I wonder if they'll have a different opener. The one last night felt like awkward 80's teen prom music mixed with James' Twin Peaks music.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I wonder if they'll have a different opener. The one last night felt like awkward 80's teen prom music mixed with James' Twin Peaks music.
Yep this is definitely that. Probably shouldn't have gotten here so early.

I do really like that Allan was offering pre-orders of his new album at the show. Got a slipmat with my order.

M52B28

Banned
Is anyone here going to the midnight launch of Halo 5: Guardians at the MS store in SF if they have one?

I went to the midnight launch of Destiny once and they had giveaways and they also had the games available to play. That said, I think it'd be cool to have a mini-meetup if some of you are interested.

Top Bottom