• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter project by Harebrained Schemes [Ended, $1.8M funded]

I am still thinking about backing this, looks really good they seem to really have passion for this game. I think they can reach the 2 million mark it is definitely possible. If I do back it, will be at the 15, 60 or 120 level. those are definitely the best selections.

I am still thinking about backing this, looks really good they seem to really have passion for this game. I think they can reach the 2 million mark it is definitely possible. If I do back it, will be at the 15, 60 or 120 level. those are definitely the best selections.

If you don't back the very instant it ends you'll regret not having done so.

You should also look into Nekro, that's close to it's minimum so every pledge matters a lot.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/343838885/nekro?ref=live

Acosta

I upped my bet to 125 (140). It´s Shadowrun, I have wanted it for years, I want to support Jordan and I want that special edition. It's the most risky backing I have done so far in KS and the most expensive, I really hope they can deliver.

It pisses me a bit that Jordan only has a license, so MS can still do whatever they want with Shadowrun if this becomes successful when released, but meh, better not to think much about it. I really thought the idea of Shadowrun as a proper RPG videogame was finished forever, so this is more I could hope for (I still plan to play the online thing, but not very pumped about it so far).

Finally decided to throw in a donation. I was waiting till they came up with some concept art or went in-depth about the look of the game. Oh well, I was most likely going to buy it anyways.

Talyn

So, um Wil Wheaton? Felicia Day? Man, I wish they would lend their voices to this project.
Why would people without any apparent interest in Shadowrun be promoting this? Even if they did mention it on Twitter would any of their followers really care enough to donate? Seems to me that the people that want a new Shadowrun game are already involved and honestly the last thing I personally want to see are gamers who just love what the RPG genre has been turned into (ME3, DA2, etc) getting involved in this. They're the reason games like Shadowrun and Wasteland 2 have to be kickstarted to begin with.

Why would people without any apparent interest in Shadowrun be promoting this? Even if they did mention it on Twitter would any of their followers really care enough to donate? Seems to me that the people that want a new Shadowrun game are already involved and honestly the last thing I personally want to see are gamers who just love what the RPG genre has been turned into (ME3, DA2, etc) getting involved in this. They're the reason games like Shadowrun and Wasteland 2 have to be kickstarted to begin with.

Maybe some of wil's followers didn't know about shadowrun ks

So about Physical Adepts, how are they flavored in Shadowrun? Are they martial artists that use magic to enhance their bodies and combat abilities? Or are they like street samurai that use magic to enhance their weapons and what not?

This is pretty tempting but I think I'll hold out for the tablet version; good way to jump up in my backlog.

Either way I'm happy to see the kickstarter end up being so successful, congrats.

DiscoJer

So about Physical Adepts, how are they flavored in Shadowrun? Are they martial artists that use magic to enhance their bodies and combat abilities? Or are they like street samurai that use magic to enhance their weapons and what not?

The former, though they do share a lot with street samurai.

Like say, a physical adept and street samurai probably both have improved reflexes, it's just the physical adepts's is magic, which the street sam's is cyberware. Or they might be stronger than normal people, but again, magic vs muscle replacement or cyberlimbs.

One big difference is that they can do some pretty serious damage with "Killing Hands", while a street samurai would only have spurs or hand razors which aren't that damaging.

But on the flip side, street samurai have smartlinks for their firearms, while a physical adept would have either settle for either a laser sight or smart goggles.

Mikey Jr.

I gotta say, I was fucking wrong.

I said there would be no way in hell they would raise an extra 200k from 1.5 million with 2 days left.

They raised 300k.

Had no idea the power of that 11th hour boost.

They would have to have a "remote interest" in it if they are tweeting about it, silly.

Just ended. They got 1.83 million dollars from Kickstarter and at least another 52k from Paypal leaving them pretty close to 1.9 million. Good stuff.

zkylon

zkylewd
So cool. 2013's gearing up for amazing, so let's hope they can all deliver. If not for our pledges, but for the slap in the face to mainstream publishers.

mclem

My prediction for the final 24 hours of Wasteland was about right, so my prediction for the final 24 hours of Shadowrun will be... $150k.

Edit: Wait, I was basing that on incorrect information. $180k.

(If someone could nab a screengrab with 24 hours to go - It'll be early in the morning for me - I'd like to see how wrong I end up!)

No screencap from me, but:

Backers
$1,687,785
pledged of $400,000 goal
hours to go

Aaand it's over: $1,836,447 (plus whatever they got via paypal).

$148,662 on Kickstarter in the last 24 hours. Depending on how much they got on Paypal in that space of time, it's somewhere between my first prediction and my second one... but more likely to be near my first. Shouldn't have changed it!

Edit: Actually, I'm curious now. I'll ask to see if I can get a 'final 24 hours' figure for paypal, too.

So, it seems I might've been right about their original idea for the 2 million goal.

Jordan and company are actively trying to find a way to re-release the original games.

But, they're having trouble locating the IP owners.

The news of a Shadowrun revival that revisits the series' roots is especially exciting for fans of those old titles, as neither of the games have seen a re-release for modern consoles. But that's not due to a lack of trying on Weisman's part; he points out that rights transfers and the closures of those games' developers have made re-releasing them difficult.

"It's a matter of tracking them down," he says. "We've actually been trying to track down the [Data East / Beam Sotware] SNES title because we would love to be able to in some way offer that to the fans. We'll see where that goes, but I certainly don't want to make any promises about it because we need to find out who owns it at this point.

"But we're working on it. I think it is just, so far, lost in that change of title. And then there will be finding ways of being able to adapt it. So, there's some hurdles there, which I think is why it hasn't happened so far. We're trying to see if we can figure that out. But again, it's complete pie in the sky."

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/168910/Jordan_Weisman_looks_to_the_past_for_Shadowruns_return.php

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I spent so much time playing the SNES game.

Sometimes, there are games that should obviously be made nowadays, and yet no one makes them.

There's so few cyber-punk games:(

El-Suave

I backed this, despite only having played the SNES game for an hour or two. As a side effect I hope this encourages them to bring back Crimson Skies as well.

Keasar

How long do I have to pay the kickstarter backing? Turns out I didnt have just enough to pay 30 bucks and I cant refill my credit card until tomorrow.

Miletius

How long do I have to pay the kickstarter backing? Turns out I didnt have just enough to pay 30 bucks and I cant refill my credit card until tomorrow.

7 days. Amazon will contact you and let you know your billing failed, from that point you'll have 7 days to put an update in and get it charged.

thy_

Is it possible to update to a higher pledge during this time?

I doubt it. Even if you could increase the amount amazon charges you with, you would still have selected a lower tier of rewards on kickstarter. You would have to contact Harebrained Schemes and ask them to give you the higher reward tier.
So it depends on how willing they are to manage that stuff by hand outside the kickstarter system.

What I can imagine, is that they allow you to pay the international shipping fees(like Double Fine did), if you should have forgotten them, but that doesn't involve changing reward tiers.

Edit:

For Wasteland 2 it was. Shoot them an e-mail and see what they have to say.

Well, perhaps the fact that both teams were already willing to use paypal as a system outside of kickstarter is a good sign for you.

Acosta

The poll for the second city is happening. Quick list (they offer a more detailed explanation of each one):

Berlin
Chicago
Denver
Hong Kong
London
More Seattle (a bigger portion of Renraku, a larger version of Ork Underground and Council Island).

I like the idea of a change of setting. Not sure about my decision yet.

mavs

Chicago or Denver...man I wish they let you rank these. Probably going with Denver. I hope this game does well so we can get some sequels.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
HONG KONG, BABY!

...but man do they make Chicago sound appealing. Ghosts n shit... but I just voted Hong Kong...

Top Bottom