• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter project by Harebrained Schemes [Ended, $1.8M funded]

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I seriously just asked them about their composer and if they'd consider Ed Harrison.

How will the game be distributed?

For mobile tablets, Shadowrun Returns will be available via iTunes, Android Marketplace, and the Amazon Android marketplace. For PC, the game will be available on Steam and our website.

Steam, baby.

I see this becoming a problem in the future. I've seen very few game campaigns that have said "we're trying to get on Steam".

Not like Valve is going to reject a Kickstarter Game, that would be ridiculously stupid.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
This looks like its gonna go past 400k pretty easily, possibly reaching a million.

Have they said what they would do with the extra money?

Hire some classic RPG artists to help with the concept artwork.

Larry Elmore
Tim Bradstreet
Steve Venters
Mark Zug

DCDW

Put $120 down on it ($20 for the shipping). I was never really into the kickstarter thing outside of Tim Schafers project. However a non-FPS Shadow Run? Just pump that ish right into my veins.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I AM ON THIS SHIT.

SNES Shadowrun was by far one of my favorites. Such a unique experience on the system.

TAKE MY MUNEEEEEEEEEE

mudkyp

At first I was a little worried this wouldn't get funded due to Kickstarter fatigue. But it looks like it'll hit its goal. The world needs more cyberpunk and I'm more than willing to help fund it.

DiscoJer

Hire some classic RPG artists to help with the concept artwork.

Larry Elmore
Tim Bradstreet
Steve Venters
Mark Zug

Definitely Tim Bradstreet. While he also did a lot on Vampire, I think he really set the look for Shadowrun.

I think all Elmore ever did was the cover painting for the first book

As someone who still looks at his Shadowrun 3E book every so often, this is so backed.

SNES and Genesis games were both fantastic, even if the former took some liberties with the system. (Talk about serious multi-classing. Samurai, Shaman AND decker? Swiss Army Knife of runners, Jake Armitage was.)

I...really don't think much of the Xbox 360 game, mostly because it downright disregarded source material. Probably was a decent FPS, but it wasn't Shadowrun.

Anyway, looking forward to it.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
the shooter wasnt bad just got old after a while if they could go and make a full scale game later on a skyrim styled shadowrun would be pretty bad ass

@MUWANdo

Banned
Yeah, I always just assumed that everyone liked the Megadrive version better. Shows what I know.

Also, I'd just like to point out that the SNES game was by Beam Software, Data East merely published it. Beam also made an adventure game with action elements for the NES called Nightshade, to which Shadowrun is somewhat of a spiritual successor. Check it out.

Talyn

I seriously just asked them about their composer and if they'd consider Ed Harrison.
NeoTokyo soundtrack was awesome. Another good choice would be Paul Taylor (nervous_testpilot) who did the equally awesome soundtrack for Frozen Synapse.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Another good choice would be Paul Taylor (nervous_testpilot) who did the equally awesome soundtrack for Frozen Synapse.
NONONONOOOOO.gif

Keep the dubstep out of my Shadowrun, please.

Edit: Okay, to be fair, there isn't a lot of dubstep in that, but any at all bothers me after such over-use in music these days. Either way, he doesn't have near as much of a mind for melody and instrumentation. It gets redundant and emotionless really fast. Ed is just on another level.

Eusis

My main concern with these campaigns is that, if they don't go well over their goal, then they'll just spend a lot of that money on the rewards.

I also dislike how every single one of these game campaigns has offered a physical box. I understand that is a huge draw, but physical boxes are also a huge waste of material, plus a huge expense.
It's better to provide the boxes here than with all copies period. Some (like me) DO want them for games we particularly care about and if the packaging is actually good, whereas I know quite a few people don't. Here you're more likely to make a small, limited amount for a few that care rather than A LOT for a lot of people who couldn't care. Though this is probably more useful for Wasteland 2 than something like Double Fine's game, where it only serves to satisfy collectors who kept their decades old boxes (or at least got ones in good condition somewhere). Though I have to admit, it'd be nice to check off rewards based on your donation level rather than keep stacking like this.
Less than a day and it's already pass Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/leisuresuitlarry/make-leisure-suit-larry-come-again
And both are way ahead of Class of Heroes 2, but that's honestly not surprising.

Eusis

I don't think the Shadowrun one has a box.
No, so I just pitched in $15 and won't take it further than that. I wonder if it's a good or bad thing to not do that, it seems like an easy way to make people pitch in $50 but Class of Heroes 2 shows a primarily physical-oriented Kickstarter can be too expensive to allow a lot of funding for a digital copy.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Will this game have active reloads and slow mo?

Eusis

Let the lesson be learned that a Kickstarter for swag is a bad idea; a Kickstarter that has swag is not.
I think that REALLY depends on what the swag is. Is the swag the meat of what you're selling? Or is it just ridiculous dressing, like elaborate frosting on a cake? Because the Order of the Stick kickstarter for reprinting books went very well, but for CoH2 I think a lot of people would be more willing to pitch in to reach 100k for an improved localization and maybe a mildly discounted digital copy, with higher levels getting a traditional UMD release with a high quality manual.

Jasoneyu

Just saw the video and I didn't realize how small the studio is! its pretty cool actually! Also the game they are currently working on (Strikefleet Omega) looks awesome as well.

@MUWANdo

Banned
As great as Trent Reznor would be, I would imagine that he'd be impossible to get. Trent was originally going to do sound design/ music for Doom 3, but he had to pull out because of some clause in his contract with the recording company that he is signed to. Or some nonsense like that.

Trent Reznor left that label years ago, I don't think that's an issue anymore.

kevm3

At least these guys are making the type of games people want. No more 3d shooter corporate forced trash. They can make the 2d stuff we all want.

O.DOGG

I never played any of the previous games but the concept sounds very cool. This is the second Kickstarter I'm supporting.

Kusagari

I think that REALLY depends on what the swag is. Is the swag the meat of what you're selling? Or is it just ridiculous dressing, like elaborate frosting on a cake? Because the Order of the Stick kickstarter for reprinting books went very well, but for CoH2 I think a lot of people would be more willing to pitch in to reach 100k for an improved localization and maybe a mildly discounted digital copy, with higher levels getting a traditional UMD release with a high quality manual.

Or it's just that nobody gives a shit about CoH2. If the kickstarter was a game people wanted then it would be doing far better.

Eusis

Or it's just that nobody gives a shit about CoH2. If the kickstarter was a game people wanted then it would be doing far better.
Yeah, it honestly kind of feels like that Kickstarter may've done everything just wrong enough. A different title, or a different alignment of goals might've made all the difference, but as is who cares?

Trent Reznor left that label years ago, I don't think that's an issue anymore.

Ah, though I remember John Carmack mentioning last year at his Quakecon keynote address that they would like to use some of Trent Reznors unreleased Doom 3 tracks in Doom 4. But he was still uncertain about getting the rights.

Barely. And its inevitable failure will not encourage others.

The market is there. Allen(?) just had a habit of doing thing half-assedly, not understanding what Kickstarter was, not understanding why past gamestarters worked, stealing art, not even offering a finished product, and insulting potential customers.

Takedown's faults are not a lack of interest in the genre. I love the shit out of Tacticals.

But back to Shadowrun.

It shall be amazing.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ah, though I remember John Carmack mentioning last year at his Quakecon keynote address that they would like to use some of Trent Reznors unreleased Doom 3 tracks in Doom 4. But he was still uncertain about getting the rights.

that is because the label still owns these particular rights.

Eusis

The market is there. Allen(?) just had a habit of doing thing half-assedly, not understanding what Kickstarter was, not understanding why past gamestarters worked, stealing art, not even offering a finished product, and insulting potential customers.

Takedown's faults are not a lack of interest in the genre. I love the shit out of Tacticals.
Yeah, I don't care too much (mostly due to never seriously trying one), but it too was something that's underserved. And that's probably an even more damning indicator of the industry, that for the most part the focus is REALLY DAMN NARROW on what to make.

Victrix

*beard*
I probably would have funded something named 'Shadowrun' thrown up by some russian tycoon who bought the name and made a kickstarter page in ms paint

But I funded it after reading it, I didn't even notice the video

... that was a really well made video! :p

If even one of these kickstarter projects pans out, I'm gonna be so thrilled (Shadowrun, Banner Saga, Wasteland 2)

Top Bottom