• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter project by Harebrained Schemes [Ended, $1.8M funded]

JCtheMC

Not to offend the original creators, and although this is great news for hardcore SR fans... i guess i´ll have to go back to waiting for the $25 million realtime action RPG version of SR. The one i really want.

that is because the label still owns these particular rights.

Oh that's right, anything he produced under his old label became their property.... including the stuff made for Doom 3. But anyway, I will stop taking this thread off topic. :p

Another $51,437 to go! This one is going fast.

Not to offend the original creators, and although this is great news for hardcore SR fans... i guess i´ll have to go back to waiting for the $25 million realtime action RPG version of SR. The one i really want.

If the final product ends up being well received, it could always lead to bigger things for the Shadowrun series. You never know.

Well, you should think about putting in the minimum. Why? No one is funding a $25M SR game at any time soon, hence the KickStarter. Your funding will go toward the game being better and having a chance to sell enough copies on its own to normal folks to get the interest of publishers who might make that game you want.

Victrix

*beard*

I'm trying to parse how you could post this in any seriousness

No one is going to fund that without rock solid proof that a market exists for it

Fund this or play Deus Ex/Syndicate and squint really hard

JCtheMC

I'm trying to parse how you could post this in any seriousness

No one is going to fund that without rock solid proof that a market exists for it

Fund this or play Deus Ex/Syndicate and squint really hard

The success of Fallout 3 and Deus Ex pretty much prove to me that there is a market for this property. Honestly i really do not understand why MS treated the IP as it did. And i also do not understand why no big publisher has scooped it up.

Ofcourse i will be funding this, i´m really curious to see how it turns out.

Victrix

*beard*
The success of Fallout 3 and Deus Ex pretty much prove to me that there is a market for this property.

No, they prove there is a market for Fallout and Deus Ex sequels

Note, I agree that the rational extension of that is 'cyberpunk, dystopia and grit' are saleable, here's Shadowrun, fund dat shit!

But you're talking to suits holding purse strings for millions of dollars, and they're not going to fund an unknown dev to an unproven IP to that level, nor are they going to use one of their proven devs who could be churning out said sequels

More, you're talking to suits with decades old 16 bit games and a not-so-successful 360 FPS as your examples of how hot this property is, not exactly a winning sales pitch

Which is a long way of saying I don't think we'll be seeing big budget Shadowrun any time soon

JCtheMC

No, they prove there is a market for Fallout and Deus Ex sequels

Note, I agree that the rational extension of that is 'cyberpunk, dystopia and grit' are saleable, here's Shadowrun, fund dat shit!

But you're talking to suits holding purse strings for millions of dollars, and they're not going to fund an unknown dev to an unproven IP to that level, nor are they going to use one of their proven devs who could be churning out said sequels

More, you're talking to suits with decades old 16 bit games and a not-so-successful 360 FPS as your examples of how hot this property is, not exactly a winning sales pitch

Which is a long way of saying I don't think we'll be seeing big budget Shadowrun any time soon

You´re just trying to make me cry, aren´t you? ... i'll go back to my dreamworld now.

In all seriousness though, i do agree that those old games stand in the way of proving how great this property is... hell, the original tabletop source material is amazing and even that won't help your case much. It'll take someone with a serious love for SR sitting in the right place at the right time to make my dream come true. oh well.

Victrix

*beard*
50k to go.

Gonna pour a glass of vodka and read Neuromancer, Damnation Alley, Heavy Weather and Snow Crash when this gets funded, while listening to the Mass Effect, Tron and Neotokyo soundtracks :V

Ideally I should read them on a Kindle while gliding in an ultralight, but I shouldn't get carried away

My oh my, i just shed a tear or pure joy...

... not really but yea this is awesome, SNES shadowrun is still one of my favourite games ever!

I can't decide if this is the most exciting Kickstarter-funded project mentioned so far. So many great ideas have been announced and funded. And the games will be the way they should be, not mass-market, watered-down crap! *knocks on wood*

Quick! Whoever owns the Shadow Man IP, do a Kickstarter!
(If you don't own it, buy it with pocket change and a pack of smokes, then Kickstart it!)
I'd actually donate to that! (If Tim Haywood does the soundtrack.)

EDIT: And damn it, someone tweet Yu Suzuki and tell him to Kickstart a damned graphic novel completing the Shenmue storyline. I'd pay for that!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Oh sweet Jesus, another one I really want to back? I didn't play the SNES one for long, but what I did play I loved to bits.

WHEN I GET MONEY AGAIN I've got this and like a squidillion other Kickstarters to hurriedly back before they're over.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is the original that good? Is it up on VC or anywhere? What's the best version?

I'll probably pledge on this regardless, I'm getting a Planescape vibe for some reason...

Lime

Man, can't I just kickstart a reprint of these posters as well?

mech15adb.png

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
StmaT.png

Wow. I wouldnt have thought they'd reach their goal within 2 days.

I always read so much praise for the Shadowrun series, and I will definitely back this project due to that. Glad to hear they will include a game editor which is pretty impressive.

Is the original that good? Is it up on VC or anywhere? What's the best version?

I'll probably pledge on this regardless, I'm getting a Planescape vibe for some reason...
Both are great, but for different reasons, despite sharing the same universe of a 2050-2058 Seattle. The SNES game is a linear ARPG/adventure game with a focus on characters and narrative. It's fantastic and filled with fun diversions to break up the combat and running around. The Genesis game is bigger, more open to player agency, and contains real mechanical depth that can be mastered. It's definitely not the pretty one of the two, nor does it have a good soundtrack (it's borderline terrible when Genny synth should've shone through), but the action and ability to recruit NPCs to round out your team is satisfying even if their AI isn't. Be warned, though, the Sega game is a save-heavy slog in the first couple hours as you can die very easily until you've ground up enough cash for better equipment and leveled a bit.

Lime

I don't consider the rewards to be that great, compared to Wasteland 2's or even Double Fine's KS. But maybe it's because I don't have any idea what a Doc Wagon Card actually is.

Anyway, pledged 15 USD. Would do more if there were better incentives to do so. If anyone wants to convince me otherwise, feel free to do so.

Xater

Both are great, but for different reasons, despite sharing the same universe of a 2050-2058 Seattle. The SNES game is a linear ARPG/adventure game with a focus on characters and narrative. It's fantastic and filled with fun diversions to break up the combat and running around. The Genesis game is bigger, more open to player agency, and contains real mechanical depth that can be mastered. It's definitely not the pretty one of the two, nor does it have a good soundtrack (it's borderline terrible when Genny synth should've shone through), but the action and ability to recruit NPCs to round out your team is satisfying even if their AI isn't. Be warned, though, the Sega game is a save-heavy slog in the first couple hours as you can die very easily until you've ground up enough cash for better equipment and leveled a bit.

And I am not even a fan of any of the games. I just love the universe and the Pen & paper original and want a worthwhile RPG set in it.

I don't consider the rewards to be that great, compared to Wasteland 2's or even Double Fine's KS. But maybe it's because I don't have any idea what a Doc Wagon Card actually is.

Anyway, pledged 15 USD. Would do more if there were better incentives to do so. If anyone wants to convince me otherwise, feel free to do so.

"Doc Wagon", in the Shadowrun setting, is a mercenary/medic company that characters can contract with to bail them out should they need medical attention. They're best known for their willingness to go into fire fight situations to collect their clients for treatment. Think medi-alert ("help! I've fallen and I can't get up!") if it was ran by heavily armed mercenaries. I'm guessing the card is a mockup of one you'd receive as a client.

Funded for $100, this needs to be made, same with Wasteland (which I also gave $100 to, and I tossed Leisure Suit Larry $15 as well).

Lime

"Doc Wagon", in the Shadowrun setting, is a mercenary/medic company that characters can contract with to bail them out should they need medical attention. They're best known for their willingness to go into fire fight situations to collect their clients for treatment. Think medi-alert ("help! I've fallen and I can't get up!") if it was ran by heavily armed mercenaries. I'm guessing the card is a mockup of one you'd receive as a client.

Funded for $100, this needs to be made, same with Wasteland (which I also gave $100 to, and I tossed Leisure Suit Larry $15 as well).

Thanks for the clarification.

From an ideological standpoint I want to support this project for more than 15USD, but the incentives are not that big. E.g. the rewards don't seem as nice and more content and levels are less prioritized than localizations and ports.

Thanks for the clarification.

From an ideological standpoint I want to support this project for more than 15USD, but the incentives are not that big. E.g. the rewards don't seem as nice and more content and levels are less prioritized than localizations and ports.

They'll be releasing a level editor with the game, so content is less an issue than with most games.

Row

Banned
only experience I have with the license is the snes game which I loved, but it certianly wasn't turn based, so I'm surprised by that

Lime

What kind of art style is typical for Shadowrun? I'm interested in learning more about it.

They'll be releasing a level editor with the game, so content is less an issue than with most games.

I'm the kind of guy who prefers well-written and -designed game content, and not the typical fan fiction + unpolished game design (of course good mods and fan-made missions exist, they sometimes can be like finding a needle in a haystack). So, while the level editor and community created stuff will be amazing, I would also like more stuff from Weisman & Co.

What kind of art style is typical for Shadowrun? I'm interested in learning more about it.

I'm the kind of guy who prefers well-written and -designed game content, and not the typical fan fiction + unpolished game design (of course good mods and fan-made missions exist, they sometimes can be like finding a needle in a haystack). So, while the level editor and community created stuff will be amazing, I would also like more stuff from Weisman & Co.

You want examples from the table top RPG, or the video games?

Mikey Jr.

Wow, in 1 day they got their full 400k.

Everything after this is just pure gravy. They better put that money to good use.

trw

Shadowrun has a huge well of content to take from though, so that can mean some modders recreating some modules from the tabletop game. I agree that fan-made missions usually suck but the tradition in this property might offset that.

Lime

Shadowrun has a huge well of content to take from though, so that can mean some modders recreating some modules from the tabletop game. I agree that fan-made missions usually suck but the tradition in this property might offset that.

Great! When there are a lot of well-written and consistent lore to draw upon, the probability of good, fan-made scenarios is a lot higher.

Depending on how Weisman and company handle the next 23 days, I might up my pledge.

Isn't the style consistent throughout both digital and analogue games? If not, whatever is most representative of the universe.

Three of the four games are from the 16-bit generation, and the table top version has been around since 1989 and has gone through, I think, 4 editions so while it carries various themes the art can very.

Shadowrun cover (used as both the cover of the table top RPG and as the boxart of the Genesis version):
tumblr_lsf831mdzB1r102r6o1_1280.jpg

shadowrun-germany-sbf.jpg

FAS7110_ShadowTech.jpg

smcoverbe6.jpg

meetingmrjohnsonbb4.jpg

breakingaresnp7.jpg

dwarfdesantxw0.jpg

SR+Native+American+Nations+%25231.JPG

shadowrun-009.png

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
So I watched a video of the SNES game. It looked interesting, but Returns will be turn-based, so I'm not sure what to expect.

I'll probably fund it with my next paycheck but I'm still skeptical.

scy

$400k+, time to break out the champagne.

Hoping for more details on the Shadowrun Returns Anthology book. Really want that physical copy but a little curious on what to expect from it.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Thinking of picking up either the SNES or Genesis game as this has me pysched.

Which is the better one?

Top Bottom