• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns |OT| Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.

mclem

I'm sorry man... you just missed it, but you know what? PM me your Steam ID and i'll buy you a copy.

But no more folks... i'm already poor. :p

Put away your wallet. I've got a code knocking around, provided he can wait until I go home to the email which has 'em in.

garath

Sounds like the game has it's flaws but is fun and has a lot of promise with the Berlin DLC and user mods.

I'd be upset that I pre-ordered something that's potentially severely flawed but then I remember it was $18. Bring on 1pm.

Alboreo

Am I the only one irked that the game is apparently finished, with reviewers having it for enough time to write reviews (2 weeks?) while those of us that backed the KS have to wait until an arbitrary time? 10 am Pacific?

Nope, it frustrates me as well. I mean, obviously this happens with 'larger' games all of the time in order to get reviews out of the gate, but the fact that we backers (who the keep praising for 'believing in them') are actually getting the game later because of Steam's update time puts me off a bit.

I'm not actually upset or anything, but it is lame.

codhand

Not really, Skyrim was their 2011 GOTY.

Spike Awards ( or VGA ) - Skyrim - Game of the year/Best RPG

X-Play's Best of 2011 - Skyrim - Game of the year

Machinima's inside Gaming - Skyrim - Game of the year

Gamespot - Skyrim - Game of the year/ Best RPG

TGN - Skyrim - Game of the year

Games Radar - Skyrim - Readers Choice award

Gamespy - Skyrim - Game of the year'

1UP - Skyrim - Game of the year / Editors choice

Game informer - Skyrim - Game of the year

Joystiq - Skyrim - Game of the year

Giant Bomb - Skyrim - Game of the year

Gamefront - Skyrim - Game of the year / Reader's choice award

UGO - Skyrim - Game of the year

OXM - Skyrim - Game of the year

Kotaku — Skyrim - Winner of the First Annual Kotaku Community Game of the Year Award!

Team Xbox — Skyrim - Game of the Year

GameTrailers — Skyrim - Best Soundtrack

USA Today Game Hunters — Skyrim - #1 Game of the Year

Yahoo! — Skyrim - Best Role-Playing Game

Electric Playground - Skyrim - Best Role-Playing Game

Split Screen — Skyrim - Game of the Year

New York Daily News - Skyrim - Best game of 2011

Gamingbolt - Skyrim - Game of the year / Most " value for money "

RipTen - Skyrim - Game of the year

PlanetXbox - Skyrim - Game of the year / Best Xbox 360 game

Game revolution - Skyrim - Game of the year

Destructoid - Skyrim - Reader's Choice

so yeah then, should be fine.

Lime

So I just saw that they are selling a Digital Deluxe edition on Steam. Yet the keys I have received for my $125 pledge only resulted in unlocking the regular edition.

It seems kind of weird to treat their backers like non-special customers :/

SparkTR

Nope, it frustrates me as well. I mean, obviously this happens with 'larger' games all of the time in order to get reviews out of the gate, but the fact that we backers (who the keep praising for 'believing in them') are actually getting the game later because of Steam's update time puts me off a bit.

I'm not actually upset or anything, but it is lame.

It's to stop day zero piracy I imagine, that kind of piracy is the worst you can run into and does indeed effect day 1 sales.

FACE

Banned
*list of awards*

so yeah then, should be fine.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Skyrim is a piss-poor RPG. That list only shows that what I want from a game and what the gaming media wants are very distinct things.

Gbraga

Am I the only one irked that the game is apparently finished, with reviewers having it for enough time to write reviews (2 weeks?) while those of us that backed the KS have to wait until an arbitrary time? 10 am Pacific?

I actually didn't think about it, but you're absolutely right. It's like Capcom asking Double Helix to see the latest Strider build and they answer with "wait for the release date".

I didn't back it though so I'm ok with waiting, but yeah.

codhand

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Skyrim is a piss-poor RPG. That list only shows that what I want from a game and what the gaming media wants are very distinct things.

that's fair, but it came off pretty trollish, given the near universal praise the game received.

no reviews yet for Shadowrun yet?

mclem

Something in the comments of that Wot I Think I wasn't aware of:

The game does mechanically support corpse looting, they’ve just not added drops to characters in the game by default, so it only happens for key events. I can see why, frankly, given the additional work it would have been.

Grayman

a lot of my steam friends had it so i decided to jump in for the day one even if the save system makes it a train wreck. I got the deluxe edition with the book too.

Eusis

Not to be debbie downer, but that probably won't ever happen because:

1. Microsoft owns the IP - this is the major issue
  2. Isometric RPGs like this stopped being made largely because of consoles, so being on one probably won't happen (this includes Wasteland 2, Torment and Project Eternity)
The console reason is a little shaky I suspect. A lot of the problem was that many console publishers, especially big western ones, just wanted to chase the AAA market and so felt games like this weren't worth pursuing, and it didn't help digital distribution was going through growing pains this gen and completely absent last gen when we hit a big turning point there. With an indie friendly DD approach stuff like this becomes more viable on consoles, though as noted Microsoft keeping their hand in the pie probably damns chances of hitting PS4, inXile and Obsidian would have more luck there.

Turfster

Dammit, I knew I should have preordered as soon as I knew it would be coming out on my birthday... Looks like my fears were ungrounded and it's a return to form.
Oh well, I'll grab it when I get back from birthday shenanigans. (Not like it'll unlock before I get back anyway)

Grayman

The console reason is a little shaky I suspect. A lot of the problem was that many console publishers, especially big western ones, just wanted to chase the AAA market and so felt games like this weren't worth pursuing, and it didn't help digital distribution was going through growing pains this gen and completely absent last gen when we hit a big turning point there. With an indie friendly DD approach stuff like this becomes more viable on consoles, though as noted Microsoft keeping their hand in the pie probably damns chances of hitting PS4, inXile and Obsidian would have more luck there.
In Obsidian's case some of the team members have talked about how happy they are to make a game that doesn't have to run on gamepads though.

The UI/Couch distance will probably keep all of the big kickstarter rpgs off console for now. Double fine's game would probably be a better bet.

ttocs

Anyone have any info on the classes? I'm wondering what is the best class for beginners to the game. It seems mages are glass cannons and people are complaining about dying a lot but what about deckers and riggers, etc. Anyone have any info on the classes and how they play?

adj_noun

So I just saw that they are selling a Digital Deluxe edition on Steam. Yet the keys I have received for my $125 pledge only resulted in unlocking the regular edition.

It seems kind of weird to treat their backers like non-special customers :/

T'was a whoopsie.

Harebrained Schemes LLC 1 day ago

Hey guys, Producer Brian here. One of my duties is all of the fulfillment of the rewards, so I'm the one person that should step forward and say: "yes, I wish that I'd thought of doing Deluxe Steam Keys earlier". The simple fact is that it didn't occur to me to request those keys and once someone here did raise that suggestion, we were already too far down the road of distributing basic keys to change course. With nearly over 40k backers (including pre-orders), I've had to make some difficult and expedient decisions on how to solve our rewards fulfillment -- and if I had to do it again, I would do many things differently. All I can say now, is that I'm making the best decisions that I can with the time we have left and will certainly take the learnings from this experience into any future Kickstarter projects.

Anyone have any info on the classes? I'm wondering what is the best class for beginners to the game. It seems mages are glass cannons and people are complaining about dying a lot but what about deckers and riggers, etc. Anyone have any info on the classes and how they play?

Haven't played yet but my guess for best beginner class would be Street Samurai. That's your basic "warrior" class.

I kind of made a blind purchase of this only knowing that's an isometric cyberpunk CRPG that has a prequel on the SNES and a 2007 X-BOX shooter.

So how is the game?

Also, apart from Microsoft owning the IP and the need+expense of changing UI elements as well as optimization, no reason this couldn't be done on consoles considering the originals were SNES & Genesis games not Commodore 64

Is this the easy to digest appetizer while we wait for the full course meal of Cyberpunk 2077?

Eusis

In Obsidian's case some of the team members have talked about how happy they are to make a game that doesn't have to run on gamepads though.

The UI/Couch distance will probably keep all of the big kickstarter rpgs off console for now. Double fine's game would probably be a better bet.
I do imagine you could adapt smartly to controllers, but that definitely should be a secondary concern, and part of why the PS4 MIGHT be better there is the touchpad. I'd hate to use it alone if it were like the one on my laptop, but hopefully this is smoother and you'd probably want a mix of touchpad and sticks/buttons anyway.

Or see if you can require kb/m, that'll be a sight to behold.

SparkTR

Well, for those titles the biggest issue was mechanical, not business. They didn't work well in a 'console environment' a decade ago (consoles never had ports of these games, only spin-offs like Dark Alliance) so they eventually evolved into more 'console-friendly' styles like KOTOR and Dragon Age. They couldn't function without a KB/M, and they couldn't work in a living room environment (you need to be close to the screen for all the text and small items). Unfortunately they lost a whole lot of their appeal to hardcore cRPG fans in that transition.

That's still looking to be the case these days, looking at this Obsidian quote:

"Those [console] limitations affect RPG mechanics and content more than players may realize (especially for players who've never played a PC RPG and realize what's been lost over the years), and often doesn't add to the RPG experience."

As it stands now none of them are looking at a console release.

EVOL 100%

Looks like this is turning out to be a pretty nice game. Nothing groundbreaking, but still pretty good. That was pretty much what I was expecting anyhow, so I'm pretty excited right now.

I got a great deal on it so I'm not too worried but the MSRP price for the Deluxe edition seems absurd considering what you get.

Still hope there's some way to stop bodies from disappearing, hate that in games.

SparkTR

It's nice to see that Steam Workshop already has user campaigns ready to download.

The editor is real selling point for me, honestly even if they didn't include a campaign I'd still pay full price for the engine/editor integration.

FGMPR

Banned
The editor is real selling point for me, honestly even if they didn't include a campaign I'd still pay full price for the engine/editor integration.

That's pretty much the way it is for me also. I just want them to keep adding tile sets (I believe that is the correct term?) and functionality to the editor and let the community focus on the campaigns.

When I watched the Gamespot 1 hour walkthrough the thing that excited me the most was what they said about the game's editor being able to combine the conversation system with various triggers to make non-violent solutions an easy thing to accomplish for campaign creators. There's so much potential here for endless hours of high quality isometric rpg gameplay so long as they are willing to support the game long term.

Gbraga

That's pretty much the way it is for me also. I just want them to keep adding tile sets (I believe that is the correct term?) and functionality to the editor and let the community focus on the campaigns.

When I watched the Gamespot 1 hour walkthrough the thing that excited me the most was what they said about the game's editor being able to combine the conversation system with various triggers to make non-violent solutions an easy thing to accomplish for campaign creators. There's so much potential here if they are willing to support it long term.

Man, I really hope I can learn how to use it to make my own shitty campaigns with horrible writing

Top Bottom