• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns |OT| Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.

Any word on the developer porting this to XBLA/PSN, iOS/Android, or the new systems this fall? I adored the SNES game and am disappointed that I never got that sequel that it teased during the ending.

SparkTR

Any word on the developer porting this to XBLA/PSN, iOS/Android, or the new systems this fall? I adored the SNES game and am disappointed that I never got that sequel that it teased during the ending.

No console versions planned, iOS/Android have been delayed a few weeks. Note that the mobile version doesn't support user-made campaigns, which is not very good.

So I just saw that they are selling a Digital Deluxe edition on Steam. Yet the keys I have received for my $125 pledge only resulted in unlocking the regular edition.

It seems kind of weird to treat their backers like non-special customers :/

I also backed at $125. Double check the email they sent you. The Digital Deluxe on steam, as far as I can tell on the Steam ap, just includes an anthology PDF and soundtrack. There should be a link in the email Harebrained sent you that will let you download those items.

Can't wait for my swag to get here though!

Durante

I also backed at $125. Double check the email they sent you. The Digital Deluxe on steam, as far as I can tell on the Steam ap, just includes an anthology PDF and soundtrack. There should be a link in the email Harebrained sent you that will let you download those items.
Yeah, that's the case. It would still have been nice to get deluxe keys, but all the content is available for backers.

Zeliard

I wonder if serious RPG players have a clear tendency one way or the other. I'm never quite comfortable with being the bad guy.

The reason I ask is from the POV of directing effort; with limited resources, which strategy benefits the most people; focusing a little more on the good guy, focussing a little more on the bad guy, or balancing both equally but making sacrifices elsewhere to accomodate that.

My reasons for usually playing the bad guy are pretty simple. I view games as escapist entertainment, and as I'm a nice, generous guy in real life (or at least I like to consider myself such!), it's fun to indulge in jerkish or even gravely immoral behavior in RPGs as it's so far removed from how I normally am.

I also find playing the good guy to be somewhat uninteresting in a lot of games as it tends to come across as bland and somewhat insipid, and I think the choices you are given there can often be less interesting.

The only game I've ever truly had a problem playing the bad guy in is Planescape: Torment, because of just how truly vile your decisions can be there if you go that route's extreme, and the great attachment you end up feeling towards other characters. And striving to be good in Torment is highly rewarding similarly due to how vivid the characterizations are and how compelling and different the choices in general can be, so going that route is interesting enough (especially given
your backstory
).

I'd be more inclined to play good in more games if the world and characters were conveyed as effectively and there were both shades of gray and unambiguously good/evil decisions. I've never bought the notion that everything morally in a game should be a murky shade of gray; sometimes it's fun to be straight up evil or angelic good, but there should be some gray and general ambivalence along that gamut. Where it can get silly is when you only have the two extremes, i.e. light side/dark side, paragon/renegade, etc. In D&D I'm often self-serving Chaotic Neutral. :p

Horns

No console versions planned, iOS/Android have been delayed a few weeks. Note that the mobile version doesn't support user-made campaigns, which is not very good.

Is there a good source for iOS/Android release dates?

It is always a bit of work to find out when mobile games are set to release. This will be my first day one Android title.

I have no idea if the time between saves is as bad as Geis describes in his review, but I'm wondering if the omission of manual saves can be used positively to create UGC that favors an Ironman playstyle with punishing tactical difficulty a la XCOM. Obviously not exactly the intended use of an RPG toolset, but I have an idea for a way to integrate a character-heavy narrative into a strategy-focused campaign, and can't wait to get into the editor to flesh it out.

Is there a good source for iOS/Android release dates?

It is always a bit of work to find out when mobile games are set to release. This will be my first day one Android title.

From HBS Twitter [tweet]https://twitter.com/WeBeHarebrained/statuses/360101512283824133[/tweet]:

"We tried but it will be in the next few weeks. Thanks for your patience"

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
So far reading reviews it seems the main game while strong on story is really shallow on gameplay.

As much as I want to play this, it's now on a wait for 6 months to see what the community can do with it.. much like I did with Skyrim.

Skyrim modded was fantastic, not modded it was only good.

This is the first gaming kickstarter I backed that has come out so I'm excited to see how it all panned out. Really excited to see what the community comes with through the editor.

Dennis

Banned
How long until the game unlocks?

I checked Steam and not only can I not launch the game there is no indication when it will be possible to download.

emag

I'd rather play this on a tablet than on a PC, but I don't want to miss out on other campaigns. HBS has stated that some custom content may eventually be pushed to the iOS/Android versions, but the details on that are [understandably] hazy. I suppose that just means I'll wait a few months and see how what kind of support is present.

Zeliard

Very tempting to start on the "Very Hard" difficulty but the lack of checkpoints makes me a bit wary.

Oh well, let's do it.

Lime

Pretty cool loading screen:

shadowrun2013-07-2519fxluy.png

I'm going to play this on Hard, I think

theDeeDubs

When I was a kid, the SNES games you could purchase around here were severely limited. We had one rental place that had one copy of Shadowrun and one copy of A Link to the Past. I would alternate between the two whenever I would get the chance to rent one. Even though I felt like I could make no progress in Shadowrun, due to the limited and infrequent rental period or more likely my age and having no clue how to really play it, its visual style and setting left a long lasting impression on me. I remember how disappointed I was when they made an online FPS a few years ago out of this IP. Looking forward to trying this tonight. These throwback iso games take me back.

this pretty neat. dumb question given the name of the website, but are these downloadable? (or maybe this specific one can be found somewhere?)

Yes some of them are, it was downloadable at one point in time but its limited to like the first 500 or something. I was able to rip the full album off the site a while back. Send me a PM if you would like me to send it to you.

Blizzard

Banned
Ok, there IS a "Game Autosaved" message that pops up in the top left, so you know when it's safe to quit. That was my main concern.

vocab

anyone having audio issues? I got some audio crackle during combat, and the background noises sound like they are stuttering or looping poorly. Audio crackles during loading different characters in your inventory as well. hmm.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just ran into my first annoyance with the save system. The game was taking input from my gamepad and constantly scrolling the screen downwards, even when I unplugged my pad it kept happening but since I couldn't save and quit I had to do 2 combat encounters and a side quest before I got to go to a new area and trigger a save.

Blizzard

Banned
Just ran into my first annoyance with the save system. The game was taking input from my gamepad and constantly scrolling the screen downwards, even when I unplugged my pad it kept happening but since I couldn't save and quit I had to do 2 combat encounters and a side quest before I got to go to a new area and trigger a save.
On the save/options menu on your PDA, there is the option to copy, reload, or rewind previous saves. If I copy a previous save and then exit the PDA without loading, it shows Game Saved on the screen...BUT, this does not seem to actually force an autosave, so if you load a save you will be back wherever the last autosave was.

The game also doesn't pause during alt-tabbing unfortunately.

Top Bottom