• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns |OT| Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.

FGMPR

Banned
Well it had 36k backers.

True enough. It's still only been an hour since the download has been available though. Even with 36k backers, I wouldn't have expected so large a percentage (whatever that is in comparison to the normal pre-orders and sales) to jump on immediately.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
hah, nice.

9367693120_c2ef642b25_o.png

Blizzard

Banned
True enough. It's still only been an hour since the download has been available though. Even with 36k backers, I wouldn't have expected so large a percentage (whatever that is in comparison to the normal pre-orders and sales) to jump on immediately.
Especially in the middle of a workday.

Damn so far I am LOVING this. Playing on hard. Elf Physical Adept. The art is beautiful. Writing is fantastic. Really excited to see what the community does with these tools.

Combat isn't that bad either.

Sinatar

Damn so far I am LOVING this. Playing on hard. Elf Physical Adept. The art is beautiful. Writing is fantastic. Really excited to see what the community does with these tools.

Combat isn't that bad either.

Yup having a blast so far. Feels so good to be playing a proper RPG again.

Anyone else getting stuttering audio? Currently only happening during combat and when the character model loads up for me. Tried notching down the aliasing, but it doesn't make a difference...

Blizzard

Banned
Audio is fine for me but I have a somewhat high-end graphics card so if it's related, that probably won't be it.

How do you set overwatch? I see it in the help screen, but I do not see an option to do it in combat. Does it depend on certain skill(s)?

duckroll

anyone having audio issues? I got some audio crackle during combat, and the background noises sound like they are stuttering or looping poorly. Audio crackles during loading different characters in your inventory as well. hmm.

Yeah it happens a little here and there. The optimization doesn't seem to be that great. I don't like the text pop-up overlay display system much, and the audio takes a hit whenever it seems to be loading new stuff onto the screen.

Overall it looks pretty nice and plays well though. Except for the save system, which is bullshit. Played about an hour so far. The interface needs to be more user friendly. All the options are graphical, and most of them don't have mouse-over descriptions. Is there a text log of some sort? I accidentally double clicked while in a conversation once, and missed a whole page of text, but I couldn't find a way to go back to read it. :/

how good is the editor?

I thought I read on gaf earlier on some impressions that it wasn't that great?

It's pretty deep, but I haven't checked it out yet.

What I've been reading is it is the most valuable part of the game, considering what mod communities are capable of.

The writing in this game though. I love that it's not voiced, or cut with scenes. Classic cRPG with fantastic, descriptive writing. SO fucking good!

I have had a few hiccups, but I am also recording gameplay so...

Zeliard

Game doesn't play around on Very Hard difficulty. Enemies can hit really hard with criticals.

I love the look of the game. Animations are a bit funky but the art is stellar.

Game doesn't play around on Very Hard difficulty. Enemies can hit really hard with criticals.

I love the look of the game. Animations are a bit funky but the art is stellar.

Yea that might be my only criticism. Animation quality. But I think it just takes some getting used to and then it doesn't become a problem.

Why did this game had to be released while I am on holidays. I wont be playing this game until 13th of August but I have been excited since the Alpha game play video they showed last year. Glad to hear that people are enjoying it but I should not spoil myself too much before I get my filthy hands on it. It better work on some several years old laptop.

Blizzard

Banned
I do wish there was a way to see more numbers, like current HP. I can check my stat sheet to see total HP, and in combat I can see that I'm say, damaged 12, but then I have to do the math myself to actually get my CURRENT HP. :p

Likewise it would be nice to know what the current or maximum enemy HP is so I have some idea of who to target first.

Tenrius

I thought there would be achievements and there aren't any. Not a big disappointment by any means, but they were quite appropriate in, say, Avernum: Escape from the Pit.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I'm about an hour into it and I'm enjoying it so far.

Someone hurry up and recreate SNES version!

The checkpoint system is lame, but whatever.

I thought there would be achievements and there aren't any. Not a big disappointment by any means, but they very quite appropriate with, say, Avernum: Escape from the Pit.

Goddamit, I just bought this game assuming Achievements would be a no brainer in a brand new Steam game. Goddamn lazy devs.

Sinatar

Really? Achievements?

Is this a real conversation or is someone playing a joke on me? Who gives a shit about achievements? If you do... why?

_machine

Haven't bought the game yet so I can't check it myself, but is it possible to at least create a sort of a save station (object that enables a checkpoint everytime it's touched) for the non combat areas in the editor?

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Really? Achievements?

Is this a real conversation or is someone playing a joke on me? Who gives a shit about achievements? If you do... why?

I was thinking the same thing. Achievements don't do a damn thing for me.

Blizzard

Banned
Goddamit, I just bought this game assuming Achievements would be a no brainer in a brand new Steam game. Goddamn lazy devs.
I think it's less a matter of being lazy, and more a matter of priorities and time limitations. They tried to have the iOS version out according to https://twitter.com/WeBeHarebrained for example, but they are holding it back to make it better. With a small team it can be tough to get everything you want done in time.

And for future reference, before buying any game on the Steam store you can check the store page for the green text on the right side -- it will tell you if a game has various features like single-player, multi-player, or Steam achievements.

Really? Achievements?

Totally. And I wouldn't be surprised if they weighed the strains on development it would add, and how it might take away from the classic cRPG atmosphere.

Steam achievements, for me, aren't necessary and don't indicate a lazy dev.

marrec

Banned
Figured out a bit ago that you can right-click + drag to move the map around instead of edge of screen scrolling. Thank god for that.

Really? Achievements?

Achievements aren't much different than leaderboards or scoring. Some people like that extra layer of meta objectives or challenge, some don't.

Its not an out-there expectation nowadays, but I don't mind either way.

Awww, dammit. I kickstarted this and i was looking forward to a bit of Shadowrun and wouldn't you know it, it's unplayable for me.

The screen scrolls constantly to the top and when i exit i get a continual audio stutter until i restart the PC. This and Retro City Rampage are the only two games to do this.

I've unplugged my 360 controller, have no webcams etc but nothing matters. The menus in the game are messed up too, the screen resolution menu glitches through all the display options if i even click it.

Bugger :(

Tenrius

Really? Achievements?

I don't particularly care about achievements, but I'm not inclined to show an exaggerated distaste for them either. I just assumed it was a standard feature (which adds a superficial layer of content etc etc) and it isn't there, hence my post. It's not even a bad thing, since it seems the devs were facing enough challenges as it is.

Speaking of the game itself, I don't like that it's missing a conversation log (like in Infinity engine game, in the conversation window itself). I already missed two panels of text accidentally pressing the "…" button twice.

Sinatar

Every game's achievements seems to be nothing more then "kill 10 enemies with a smg" "kill 10 enemies with a pistol" "beat level 4" "beat the game on nerfherder difficulty" etc.. they are always so banal and pointless. Only game I've played with genuinely interesting achievements was Crackdown.

Herla

The checkpoint system is garbage.
I'm playing on hard and died thanks to an unavoidable double-crit at the start of an encounter...and bam, back to the beginning of the area. Had to repeat 2 fights and 3 conversations.

I'm really liking the music and writing, though.

Blizzard

Banned
OK fixed I had to exit and restart Steam wtf Gaben
I could be wrong, but I though this has been true for any Steam release throughout the lifetime of Steam. It will not automatically register the releae being available for some reason.

Does the game support Steam cards?

NO CARDS NO BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Presumably you are joking, but as with achievements, you can see if a game supports trading cards by checking the green text items on the right side of a store page. There are not yet any trading cards.

Every game's achievements seems to be nothing more then "kill 10 enemies with a smg" "kill 10 enemies with a pistol" "beat level 4" "beat the game on nerfherder difficulty" etc.. they are always so banal and pointless. Only game I've played with genuinely interesting achievements was Crackdown.

To you. I think you're overreacting.

Top Bottom